The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heineken Cup Round 2- Connacht v Harlequins TEAMS UP

+20
SecretFly
thebluesmancometh
Golden
Rory_Gallagher
niwatts
Cumbrian
profitius
rodders
Rava
AlastairW
thebandwagonsociety
ChequeredJersey
LeinsterFan4life
Brendan
Pot Hale
Avalon
beshocked
glamorganalun
Kingshu
yappysnap
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Heineken Cup Round 2- Connacht v Harlequins TEAMS UP Empty Heineken Cup Round 2- Connacht v Harlequins TEAMS UP

Post by yappysnap Tue 16 Oct 2012, 11:16 am

"The date Jan 20th is etched in our memory"

Connor O'Shea was pretty blunt post Biarritz about the game this week away at Connacht; I don't think any Harlequins fans will have forgotten their sides shock defeat last season away to the Irish province, but for the players it's still especially raw.

Connacht come in to this game off the back of a pretty solid away win against Zebre. Harlequins will be pleased to have got a little momentum with their bonus point win over Biarritz, both teams also met in the pre-season with Quins taking the spoils but that will count for little.

Connacht Team News

15 Robbie Henshaw, 14 Tiernan O'Halloran, 13 Eoin Griffin, 12 Dave McSharry, 11 Fetu'u Vainikolo, 10 Dan Parks, 9 Kieran Marmion, 8 George Naoupu, 7 Willie Faloon, 6 John Muldoon, 5 Mike McCarthy, 4 Michael Swift, 3 Nathan White, 2 Adrian Flavin, 1 Dennis Buckley.

Replacements: 16 Jason Harris Wright, 17 Brett Wilkinson, 18 Ronan Loughney, 19 Dave Gannon, 20 Johnny O'Connor, 21 Dave Moore, 22 Miah Nikora, 23 Mata Fifita.

Harlequins Team News

15 Mike Brown, 14 Tom Williams, 13 Matt Hopper, 12 Jordan Turner-Hall, 11 Sam Smith, 10 Ben Botica, 9 Danny Care, 8 Nick Easter, 7 Chris Robshaw, 6 Maurie Fa'asavalu, 5 George Robson, 4 Ollie Kohn, 3 James Johnston, 2 Rob Buchanan, 1 Joe Marler.

Replacements: 16 Dave Ward, 17 Mark Lambert, 18 Will Collier, 19 Charlie Matthews, 20 Tom Guest, 21 Karl Dickson, 22 Rory Clegg, 23 Seb Stegmann.]

Nick Evans is out for the next few weeks with an ankle injury, but new boy Ben Botica looked an able replacement with a clinical kicking boot and good vision running the show. You can bet that he'll get a tougher test of his credentials on Sat if he is selected by Connor.

Other then the change at 10 the backs should remain the same. Tom Williams seemed alright after his hip injury and George Lowe will still be out after his ankle surgery, leaving Mat Hopper at 13. EDIT Monye is out with an ankle injury so young dangerman Sam Smith comes in at 11

The pack should be unchanged from the Biarritz game, all came through unscathed and especially in the second half put in strong performances. Perhaps the only change we could see will be Tom Guest coming in for Mo Fa'Asavalu on a rotation policy.

Last edited by yappysnap on Fri 19 Oct 2012, 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Heineken Cup Round 2- Connacht v Harlequins TEAMS UP Empty Re: Heineken Cup Round 2- Connacht v Harlequins TEAMS UP

Post by Kingshu Tue 16 Oct 2012, 12:09 pm

In recent years

In Almin 10/11
Connacht 9–15 Harlequins
Harlequins 20–9 Connacht

Heineken Cup 11/12
Harlequins 25-17 Connacht
Connacht 9-8 Harlequins

3-1 to Harlequins, it does show that they are meeting a lot in recent years, they should know each other pretty well now.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Heineken Cup Round 2- Connacht v Harlequins TEAMS UP Empty Re: Heineken Cup Round 2- Connacht v Harlequins TEAMS UP

Post by Kingshu Tue 16 Oct 2012, 12:22 pm

I'd excet to see the same Connacht team as last week

Connacht: R Henshaw; T O'Halloran, E Griffin, D McSharry, F Vainikolo; D Parks, K Marmion; D Buckley, E Reynecke, N White; M Swift, M McCarthy; J Muldoon, W Faloon, G Naoupu

Replacements: M Fifita, R Loughney, D Gannon , J O'Connor A Flavin, R Ah You, D Moore, M Nikora.

E Griffin, D McSharry are a good centre partnership McSharry may even be the form 13 in Ireland, Griffin I think is the better player though.

R Henshaw and T O'Halloran have been in good form, and Duffy will find it hard to win the full back spot back if fit.

But I think Quins fans know the real danger isn't the exciting young backs, its the much critisied Dan Parks, any peneltys will be kicked at goal, to keep the scoreboard ticking over, since he's been fit hes added to the Connacht team.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 16 Oct 2012, 12:46 pm

We have been pretty poor at giving away soft penalties against tough opposition. Far more so then other top teams like Saracens etc

I guess if we can score tries though we can counter that, and our kicker is probably just as good at goal.

Btw I am loving that replacements name R Ah You!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 16 Oct 2012, 12:47 pm

Should be close game again if it is blowing a gale and chucking down for a change.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 16 Oct 2012, 12:48 pm

Yappysnap you better win this one or the Irish fans will make sure you never live it down! I hope for your sake it doesn't rain. Wink

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Avalon Tue 16 Oct 2012, 12:52 pm

Quins are a fantastic side to watch. They got plenty of grunt as well as flair and were the pick from last weekend's teams for me.

Losing last year to Connacht should be enough of a reminder not to take anything for granted. They should be battle-hardened and up for a fight even if the conditions aren't ideal.

I'd expect them to target 5 points.

Avalon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 16 Oct 2012, 1:27 pm

Connacht team, for those not familar with them. (I'm not the best someone can add more detail)

R Henshaw; an exciting young Fullback/wing really making a name for himself this season very attacking (normally Duffy the captain is fullback but is injuried not sure when hes back).

T O'Halloran Wing / Full Back young, is the dangerman, scored a try against Harlequins last year

E Griffin, D McSharry are a good young centre partnership McSharry may even be the form 13 in Ireland, Griffin I think is the better player though.

F Vainikolo, wing Tonga International played super rugby for Highlanders

[overall the backs are young exciting players with a lot of pontential, if they played for more fashionable clubs you would have heard more about them.]

D Parks, you should know

K Marmion only seamed to come on scene this year, but has been the starting 9 this season, seams young and pretty good, but will confess don't know to much about him.

D Buckley, seams to be decent, don't know a lot
E Reynecke, played for Saracens and super rugby for Stormers and Lions, N White; New Zealander moved over from Leinster,

Overall front row is solid

M Swift, He is the most capped Connacht player of all time and is the longest serving player in the Connacht camp, Solid

M McCarthy; 4 Ireland Caps.

solid long time partnership at Lock

J Muldoon, 3 Ireland caps

W Faloon, speliast 7, moved from Ulster where he was rated quite highly

G Naoupu, fan favourite, number 8,

Selected replacement
Rodney Ah You big heavy, bette is loose than scrum.
Johnny O'Connor 12 Ireland caps, Faloon seams to have taken his starting spot
M Nikora flyhalf, decent covers a few positions as well.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 16 Oct 2012, 1:58 pm

Should be an easy one for Harlequins.

Last year was an aberration.

Normal service will be resumed this weekend.

5 points to the multi-coloured marvels.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 16 Oct 2012, 1:59 pm

beshocked wrote:Yappysnap you better win this one or the Irish fans will make sure you never live it down! I hope for your sake it doesn't rain. Wink

I don't think we'd ever forget about it!

Worryingly I do have a good feeling about this game so we will probably lose now.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue 16 Oct 2012, 3:02 pm

I would be suprised if Quinns don't win but as the results show it will be close enough and not a massive scoring game so not so sure about TBP.

I think it will depend if Quinns build a lead.

If connacht get a lead they are more likely to hold on as they will fight for everything till the final play. Also with Parks they will score a bit when they go up the other end. If Quins have to get a try and chase the game as Connacht showed v Leinster they can break and defend.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 16 Oct 2012, 5:17 pm

Isn't Parks a little dodgy in big games though? Could the pressure get to him on the weekend? Infact will Connacht even be feeling much pressure? I'm sure they're not expecting to get out of the group so other then putting on a show for the fans will they be as determined in this game compared to the Rabo matches they've played so far?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 16 Oct 2012, 6:00 pm

This is Connachts best ever chance, (and prob the best for at least the next 10 years), of Connacht making the knock out stages in the H-cup, ok they will have to spring a surprise or two, but they counldn't have picked a better group for themselves.

Connacht said,
Everyone wants Zebre can we have them in our group.

"OK but you have to have a French and English team as well"

French team- can we have the team that didn't even make the play offs in top 14
English team - can we have Quinns as we know them from last two years and know we can beat them.

Ok in fairness they could have got Cardiff Blues and Edinburgh instead, but it was never going to be perfect for them, just near perfect.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 16 Oct 2012, 6:32 pm

yappysnap wrote:Isn't Parks a little dodgy in big games though? Could the pressure get to him on the weekend? Infact will Connacht even be feeling much pressure? I'm sure they're not expecting to get out of the group so other then putting on a show for the fans will they be as determined in this game compared to the Rabo matches they've played so far?
Connacht will be well up for this game. You dont need to worrie about that.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 16 Oct 2012, 10:50 pm

I'm confident. We won't get a BP but we should win and in London we will get the BP *knock on wood*

Ah, bollix, he's injured again tomato
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 17 Oct 2012, 11:21 am

Could be looking at missing Johnston for the game as well apparently bit of a dodge neck after the Britz game.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 17 Oct 2012, 11:47 am

Intresting Quinns are supplied by O'Neills who are better known for supplying GAA gear.

Connachts kit is manufactured and supplied by Rugbytech (a division of Irish sports store chain Elverys).

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 17 Oct 2012, 12:16 pm

It's pretty nice kit by O'Neills, really like the training tops especially. I thought that they were more in to surf gear though...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 17 Oct 2012, 12:46 pm

Kingshu wrote:This is Connachts best ever chance, (and prob the best for at least the next 10 years), of Connacht making the knock out stages in the H-cup, ok they will have to spring a surprise or two, but they counldn't have picked a better group for themselves.

Connacht said,
Everyone wants Zebre can we have them in our group.

"OK but you have to have a French and English team as well"

French team- can we have the team that didn't even make the play offs in top 14
English team - can we have Quinns as we know them from last two years and know we can beat them.

Ok in fairness they could have got Cardiff Blues and Edinburgh instead, but it was never going to be perfect for them, just near perfect.

Wouldn't you prefer Sale to Quins?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 17 Oct 2012, 1:07 pm

Sale tier 4, Quins tier 2, if had sale couldn't have Zebre, and I'd perfer Zebre to Sale

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 17 Oct 2012, 2:33 pm

Will evans not being the go to guy affect quinns at all. It didn't seem to last week but away form home might be different.

I think Connacht will be looking for at least three wins so they have to either win this or the french

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 17 Oct 2012, 2:59 pm

It probably will but this game will be won or lost in other areas than 10. As long as someone kicks the points, and Botica can definitely kick (his A-team kicking has been close to flawless too)
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 17 Oct 2012, 3:11 pm

This game will be all about the pack, if they do their job and Care does his then there will be relatively little pressure on Botica except for kicking.

Big game for the backrow, we've been targetted heavily in that area in the last few games and only just managed to turn it around. Connacht last season did a job on us a few times getting turnovers and absolutely destroying any momentum for us by laying all over the place.

I expect Robshaw will spend a bit less time at first reciever in the first half and focus more on hitting rucks, hopefully in the second half we'll be able to open up a bit.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 17 Oct 2012, 5:04 pm

If Connacht just picture Quins wearing Leinster jerseys, they will canter to victory. Otherwise, 15-9 win for Quins

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 19 Oct 2012, 1:59 pm

Quins team is up:

There are two changes to the starting line-up of the team which defeated Biarritz Olypmique last weekend, with Sam Smith replacing Ugo Monye. The winger suffered an ankle injury and is expected to return for the London Irish game.

Ben Botica, who marked his second senior appearance for the club last week by kicking 18 points, will make his starting debut in Galway, replacing Nick Evans who was also taken off last week with an ankle injury.

Among the replacements, Dave Ward will look to make his second appearance while Rory Clegg and Seb Stegmann cover the backline.

Harlequins team
15. Mike Brown14. Tom Williams13. Matt Hopper12. Jordan Turner-Hall11. Sam Smith10. Ben Botica9. Danny Care 1. Joe Marler2. Rob Buchanan3. James Johnston4. Olly Kohn5. George Robson6. Maurie Fa'asavalu7. Chris Robshaw (C)8. Nick Easter

Replacements:16. Dave Ward 17. Mark Lambert 18. Will Collier 19. Charlie Matthews 20. Tom Guest 21. Karl Dickson 22. Rory Clegg 23. Seb Stegmann

Looking forward to this game. Anyone got the weather for tomorrow?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 19 Oct 2012, 2:27 pm

yappysnap wrote:Looking forward to this game. Anyone got the weather for tomorrow?

13 degrees. broken cloud/sunny bits. I should be a weather dolly.

Perfect running Rugby weather Yappy. Game on.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 19 Oct 2012, 3:42 pm

yappysnap wrote: "The date Jan 20th is etched in our memory"

Connor O'Shea was pretty blunt post Biarritz about the game this week away at Connacht; I don't think any Harlequins fans will have forgotten their sides shock defeat last season away to the Irish province, but for the players it's still especially raw.

Connacht come in to this game off the back of a pretty solid away win against Zebre. Harlequins will be pleased to have got a little momentum with their bonus point win over Biarritz, both teams also met in the pre-season with Quins taking the spoils but that will count for little.

Connacht Team News

15 Robbie Henshaw, 14 Tiernan O'Halloran, 13 Eoin Griffin, 12 Dave McSharry, 11 Fetu'u Vainikolo, 10 Dan Parks, 9 Kieran Marmion, 8 George Naoupu, 7 Willie Faloon, 6 John Muldoon, 5 Mike McCarthy, 4 Michael Swift, 3 Nathan White, 2 Adrian Flavin, 1 Dennis Buckley.

Replacements: 16 Jason Harris Wright, 17 Brett Wilkinson, 18 Ronan Loughney, 19 Dave Gannon, 20 Johnny O'Connor, 21 Dave Moore, 22 Miah Nikora, 23 Mata Fifita.

Harlequins Team News

15 Mike Brown, 14 Tom Williams, 13 Matt Hopper, 12 Jordan Turner-Hall, 11 Sam Smith, 10 Ben Botica, 9 Danny Care, 8 Nick Easter, 7 Chris Robshaw, 6 Maurie Fa'asavalu, 5 George Robson, 4 Ollie Kohn, 3 James Johnston, 2 Rob Buchanan, 1 Joe Marler.

Replacements: 16 Dave Ward, 17 Mark Lambert, 18 Will Collier, 19 Charlie Matthews, 20 Tom Guest, 21 Karl Dickson, 22 Rory Clegg, 23 Seb Stegmann.]

Nick Evans is out for the next few weeks with an ankle injury, but new boy Ben Botica looked an able replacement with a clinical kicking boot and good vision running the show. You can bet that he'll get a tougher test of his credentials on Sat if he is selected by Connor.

Other then the change at 10 the backs should remain the same. Tom Williams seemed alright after his hip injury and George Lowe will still be out after his ankle surgery, leaving Mat Hopper at 13. EDIT Monye is out with an ankle injury so young dangerman Sam Smith comes in at 11

The pack should be unchanged from the Biarritz game, all came through unscathed and especially in the second half put in strong performances. Perhaps the only change we could see will be Tom Guest coming in for Mo Fa'Asavalu on a rotation policy.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 19 Oct 2012, 3:51 pm

V Strong squad again, looks like we are really targeting the HEC
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 19 Oct 2012, 3:59 pm

[quote="Kingshu"]I'd excet to see the same Connacht team as last week

Connacht: R Henshaw; T O'Halloran, E Griffin, D McSharry, F Vainikolo; D Parks, K Marmion; D Buckley, E Reynecke, N White; M Swift, M McCarthy; J Muldoon, W Faloon, G Naoupu

Replacements: M Fifita, R Loughney, D Gannon , J O'Connor A Flavin, R Ah You, D Moore, M Nikora.
quote]

only a few wee errors, go me.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:02 pm

AlastairW wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Looking forward to this game. Anyone got the weather for tomorrow?

13 degrees. broken cloud/sunny bits. I should be a weather dolly.

Perfect running Rugby weather Yappy. Game on.

That's everywhere EXCEPT Galway mate. Expect gale force winds, driving rain and a sprinkling of hailstones Laugh
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:05 pm

Lucky our pack can scrummage and Botica can kick then!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:11 pm

yappysnap wrote: "The date Jan 20th is etched in our memory"

What was the shock? The home game was tight enough for quins so they were always going to be up against it in Galway. An upset maybe but not really a shock for those who follow Irish rugby and I'd fancy Connacht again this time out given how much stronger they are this season.

Connacht by 8. guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:14 pm

Quins by 15
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:15 pm

All provinces to win this weekend, it was Munster let us down last weekend.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:15 pm

Is it that Connacht are much better than last season or that the likes of Leinster have been considerably poorer?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:19 pm

Connacht are better, Leinster have nothing to do with it.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:23 pm

But other than beating Leinster, Connacht's results look the same, if not worse than they did this time last year, obviously I've not been watching them play so I can't comment on that but I can see no discernible change in results for the positive!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:29 pm

Hand on heart I think all Quins fans were nervous about the trip to Connacht but did expect a win, we'd just won in Toulouse and were still steaming along in the Prem. It was also vital so that we made the knock outs.

We kept it close going in to the wind and then expected to turn it on in the second half with the wind at our backs but that just never happened. Honestly that was a shock. Not taking away from Connacht but yes it was a shock win for them. They lost at home to Glos...

Same this weekend, it'll be very very tough but I do expect the win.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:38 pm

They've had a disappointing start to the season but sometimes you need to look beyond the results.

I think Connacht were bitterly disappointed with their Heino results last time out and will be keen to give a better account of themselves this season. In Galway they are always a tough proposition and personnel wise they are certainly stronger than last year.

Quins are favourites no doubt about it but this will be no walk over Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:46 pm

Don't listen to Rodders lads. He's far too conservative.

Connacht by 15pts. Try Bonus as well Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:52 pm

We'll see
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:59 pm

Just to point out that Quins have fielded a 23 with only TWO NEQ players in it. Both are quality as well.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 19 Oct 2012, 5:08 pm

Paddy Power has it

Connacht
11/4

Draw
22/1

Harlequins
2/7

Draw may be tempting?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 19 Oct 2012, 5:10 pm

Actually, draw looks very tempting, I don't think it will happen but more likely than 1/22! Don't think it'll be that high-scoring a game
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 19 Oct 2012, 6:35 pm

Backing Connacht at 11/4 would be like taking candy from a baby Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 19 Oct 2012, 6:43 pm

Last season when Connacht beat Quins it ended a 14 game losing streak for Connacht. They're in a much better position now. They've a stronger scrum and more dangerous backline and we all know that Parks is a good kicker.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 19 Oct 2012, 8:52 pm

Jeebus Profitus I'd forgotten about Parks. I was thinking Niall O'Connor who is now third choice at Ulster. Maybe change that prediction to Connacht by 22.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 19 Oct 2012, 10:02 pm

Parks does go missing in the big games though and I know this match'll be Connachts biggest game of the season.

Prepare for an implosion Wink

(Obv I mean Connacht)

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 20 Oct 2012, 6:20 pm

Connacht getting the joy so far!

Sad

It's a long way to go yet though
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 20 Oct 2012, 6:24 pm

And kick by kick we pull ourselves back into it
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next