The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harlequins v Connacht and maybe a new record in sight?

+19
England rugby fan
EnglishReign
majesticimperialman
maestegmafia
Morgannwg
Dubbelyew L Overate
HammerofThunor
PJHolybloke
asoreleftshoulder
Thomond
Rava
ME-109
doctor_grey
Cumbrian
Standulstermen
rodders
greybeard
beshocked
yappysnap
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Harlequins v Connacht and maybe a new record in sight? - Page 3 Empty Harlequins v Connacht and maybe a new record in sight?

Post by yappysnap Fri 11 Nov - 21:33

First topic message reminder :

Thought i'd create a thread for the first HC match of the season. Will get the team sheets up when they come out and hopefully get some chat and banter going about the match and the up coming tournament.

If there's any Connacht fans out there would be great to hear a bit about your team as I know very little about them.

As a point to note as well, if Harlequins do win this game then they'll set a new English club record for the longest winning streak at the start of a season.

Quins Team:
15 FB Mike Brown
14 W Seb Stegmann
13 C George Lowe
12 C Jordan Turner-Hall
11 W Sam Smith
10 FH Nick Evans
9 SH Karl Dickson
1 P Joe Marler
2 H Chris Brooker
3 P James Johnston
4 L Ollie Kohn
5 L George Robson
6 F Maurie Fa'asavalu
7 F Chris Robshaw
8 N8 Nick Easter

Connacht:
15 FB Gavin Duffy
14 W Brian Tuohy
13 C Eoin Griffin
12 C David McSharry
11 W Tiernan O'Halloran
10 FH Miah Nikora
9 SH Paul O'Donohoe
1 P Brett Wilkinson
2 H Adrian Flavin
3 P Rodney Ah You
4 L Michael Swift
5 L Mike McCarthy
6 F John Muldoon
7 F Ray Ofisa Treviranus
8 N8 George Naoupu

Last edited by yappysnap on Fri 11 Nov - 22:11; edited 2 times in total

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Harlequins v Connacht and maybe a new record in sight? - Page 3 Empty Re: Harlequins v Connacht and maybe a new record in sight?

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 12 Nov - 9:38

DOD wrote:
greybeard wrote:
DOD wrote:I like Quins. Been to the stoop for Munster and Connacht matches and always had a great time. I think they were unlucky with blood gate, because they got caught and many teams elsewhere breathed a sigh of relief that they didn't get caught first.

That has to be the most prepostorous statement ever...maybe you can give an example of teams that have attempted to fake a blood injury...

Also I would expect Duffy to be gutted he lost...

There were plenty of reports when it happened that Quins weren't alone. It's a shame their fans, who I have always been welcomed and well treated by, had to suffer as a result.

Well as you say yourself this thread could get hijacked by pointless commentary on something not related...however...which clubs and when? I think you are being naive at worst and possibly biased at best. Quins cheated in a way that is beyond the whole history of rugby. No one is having a go at the fans but Quins should have been banned from HC competition...

PJ - maybe teams you support...

Not Welsh teams then, just my teams? Bath, Connacht and England? Seriously, you'll have to do better than that.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Harlequins v Connacht and maybe a new record in sight? - Page 3 Empty Re: Harlequins v Connacht and maybe a new record in sight?

Post by ME-109 Sat 12 Nov - 9:38

PJHolybloke wrote:DOD, ALL teams have done it and they ALL still do it, if a player gets subbed at half-time it's always a "tactical" substitution.

Ever wondered why?

Last time I checked making a substitution is legal. In fact a team can make many of them... Times have moved on from when the doctor needed to make the decision Doh Although apparently Quins forgot that as have a couple of premiership teams when it came to uncontested scrums...

Seems like it happens a lot there in England... chin

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 Nov - 9:38

Morgannwg wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Connacht cant be too disappointed with that result, a losing bonus point at the home of the Aviva Premierships top club. Considering Connacht are ninth in the Rabo and have only won three games this season they did well.

They didn't get the LBP. Sadly. But it is a good sign for Ireland rugby to see such an under-resourced team punch above their weight. They will get their backing from the IRFU eventually.
Apologies but my maths really is poor. My teacher at school used to tell me I would be a great mathematician if only i could add and subtract...!

Still not a bad day for Connacht. This should give them good confidence for the rest of the pool stages.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 12 Nov - 9:39

Cumbrian wrote:
PJHolybloke wrote:DOD, ALL teams have done it and they ALL still do it, if a player gets subbed at half-time it's always a "tactical" substitution.
Ever wondered why?

Mate, his chipolata gets bigger with every person he draws an argument from, I wouldn't bother. Very Happy

Just read that Cumbrian, I'll take that advice. OK
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 12 Nov - 9:41

DOD wrote:

Ever wondered why?

Last time I checked making a substitution is legal. In fact a team can make many of them... Times have moved on from when the doctor needed to make the decision Doh Although apparently Quins forgot that as have a couple of premiership teams when it came to uncontested scrums...

Seems like it happens a lot there in England... chin

Doh A player subbed for tactical reasons can re-enter the field of play to replace an injured player, an injured player can only re-enter the field of play as a replacement for a blood injury.

Like I said, you're excused.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 12 Nov - 9:42

PJHolybloke wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:
Ever wondered why?

Mate, his chipolata gets bigger with every person he draws an argument from, I wouldn't bother. Very Happy

You do that lads...maybe then you wont waste your time boring us with your comments.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 12 Nov - 9:44

DOD wrote:
PJHolybloke wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:
Ever wondered why?

You do that lads...maybe then you wont waste your time boring us with your comments.

Do you want a cocktail stick and some cheese? Maybe a bit of pickle? I can accommodate, I really can.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 12 Nov - 9:45

DOD wrote:
PJHolybloke wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:
Ever wondered why?

Who's "us"?

Got a little friend?
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 12 Nov - 9:48

Rock on lads...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 12 Nov - 9:49

DOD wrote:Rock on lads...

Where as you'll be in your palatial mansion with lots of naked ladies eh? You're just as much a part of this as we are skivvy. Very Happy
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 12 Nov - 9:57

Night lads...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 12 Nov - 9:58

DOD wrote:Night lads...

And to you sir.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 12 Nov - 19:01

Well done Connacht you boys played really well and it was bloody bervy there at times! And unlike on here the fans i met last night all seemed quality, i'll be cheering for you boys next week against Toulouse.

As to the actual match, I don't think we'll see Quins play that poorly again for a while, that has to have been our worst match this season encapsulated by the frankly pants performance of Easter.

I was a bit gutted by the off the ball stuff in the first half from Connacht missed by the ref and their gang tackles coupled with then laying all over the ball. But the boys dug in and did enough to get the win and deny Connacht anything Smile can they do the same when we come calling?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 12 Nov - 19:02

And congrats Joe Marler on picking up MoM, was a colossal performance in the loose.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 12 Nov - 19:34

With the way Chris Robshaw played yesterday surely he must be in the England team for the 6ns, and i also think watching the game last night that Nick Easter showed that he has still got what it takes.

Danny Care still needs to get some game time, looked a bit hessitant a couple of times. Joe Marlor played well, very well infact.

Well played to Quins for grinding out the win Conacht put up a good fight right till the end.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 Nov - 19:36

Have to say Harlequins have a big ask now. They were touted previous to last night as being contenders to win this group. On the form of last nights game they will be lucky to get anything against Toulouse.

Connacht must fancy themselves to beat Quins and Gloucester at home, may even squeeze an away result, LBP maybe or a draw at Kingsholm.

I guess Quins are more focused on the premiership than the HEC...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat 12 Nov - 20:43

This has opened the door for Glos to target a BP win against Connacht. Could be the difference.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by England rugby fan Sat 12 Nov - 21:27

maestegmafia wrote:Have to say Harlequins have a big ask now. They were touted previous to last night as being contenders to win this group. On the form of last nights game they will be lucky to get anything against Toulouse.

Connacht must fancy themselves to beat Quins and Gloucester at home, may even squeeze an away result, LBP maybe or a draw at Kingsholm.

One game in and you think that one game is going to decide the outcome of the group ? Doh

England rugby fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Nov - 21:31

i did watch the game, and i must admit i dont watch a lot of club rugby, mainly watch international rugby. But i did think it was a good game and did enjoy it. Connacht put up a good fight, but im not sure Harlequins will win it, but im happy to be proved wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 12 Nov - 21:31

Its refreshing in the same week that we found out BOD wasnt going to make the 6N that a young irish centre performed well at 13.

He still has some way to go but thats a great HEC start for Griffin.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 12 Nov - 21:51

just watching the game now, i'm pretty surprised with the amount of stuff connacht is getting away with. Numerous illegal tackles with swinging arms or shoulders.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 12 Nov - 21:57

There was an element of that i agree nathan but there wasnt really anything massive. McCarthy diminished his performance a wee bit for me by a couple of late hits that werent at all necessary.

I thought the ref lost control of the breakdown to be honest and both teams were off their feet and on the wrong side more often than not. that being said i thought the final score was just about deserved with Connacht deserving a LBP but narrowly missing.

I dont think Garces is a great ref but i guess in this game the result was representative of the game.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Sat 12 Nov - 22:01

No fights or anything like that broke out among the players, so I don't think there was any real malice or niggle in the game. POD's shoulder charge was was the worst offence, but apart from that the players just got on with it.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by FitzStephen Sat 12 Nov - 22:18

Mike McCarthy must be putting pressure on O'Callaghan for an Ireland start. He was great last night and I actually don't mind seeing him give a bit of a tickle to Evans (as long as it isn't caught by the ref). Name another lock that would have beaten a full pace Sam Smith to the ball in the second half. Dan Tuohy will need a big performance today to even get close to McCarthy's showing last night, and O'Callaghan too. Where the hell did Elwood find McSharry? I seem to remember him playing second fiddle on the U20s a few seasons ago, but McSharry-Griffin is a midfield pairing with so much potential.

FitzStephen

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 12 Nov - 22:23

Standulstermen wrote:There was an element of that i agree nathan but there wasnt really anything massive. McCarthy diminished his performance a wee bit for me by a couple of late hits that werent at all necessary.

I thought the ref lost control of the breakdown to be honest and both teams were off their feet and on the wrong side more often than not. that being said i thought the final score was just about deserved with Connacht deserving a LBP but narrowly missing.

I dont think Garces is a great ref but i guess in this game the result was representative of the game.

I agree there wasn't anything massive, just surprised they weren't pulled up for it. Completely agree with you regarding the final score though.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Sat 12 Nov - 22:32

England rugby fan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Have to say Harlequins have a big ask now. They were touted previous to last night as being contenders to win this group. On the form of last nights game they will be lucky to get anything against Toulouse.

One game in and you think that one game is going to decide the outcome of the group ? Doh

It might be the first game in the group, but in a home game between supposedly the best team in England and the weakest of the four Irish teams denuded of three of their best players pre-season, Quins would have been aiming for a winning bonus point - not getting that BP may come back to haunt them. To score only one try (and be outscored in tries) was criminal Thought Connacht were excellent and deserved a losing BP and can aim for a couple of home wins in the group. The only ones really happy with last night's result are Toulouse.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Nov - 22:38

Where's the "knee-jerk" emoticon?

Quins won. They'll play better. You're getting a tad carried away there, old fruit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 12 Nov - 22:39

Yeah i dont want to detract massively from mcCarthy's performance as he was superb. Denying Smith that score was fantastic. At international level those little silly late hits get punished. he doesnt need to do that.

if he keeps that up i would like to see him in the 6N squad. Tuohy hasnt been bad but hasnt been brilliant either. Connacht fans can correct me but is Andrew browne not regarded higher than McCarthy as well?

Anyway it is a step in the right direction from mcCarthy. Wilkinson was superb in defence i thought as well. O'halloran looks dangerous. Nikora i thought was very useful, NOC less so.

Plenty of positives but they need a few years consecutively in the heineken so i hope they get it.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Sat 12 Nov - 22:41

Thought Duffy, McSharry, Wilkinson, McCarthy and Muldoon were really excellent last night - never heard of the lad McSharry before but then I suppose that down to my Dublin ignorance

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 12 Nov - 22:44

as far as i know it is only his 2nd start brenno. his debut was against us last week

I know it was a step down in terms of 'class of opponent' this week but i thought he was excellent Run

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Sat 12 Nov - 23:41

brennomac wrote:Thought Duffy, McSharry, Wilkinson, McCarthy and Muldoon were really excellent last night - never heard of the lad McSharry before but then I suppose that down to my Dublin ignorance

He's from Leinster! Laugh

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by newbie Sun 13 Nov - 7:39

Back from London and a thoroughly enjoyable game. We were unlucky and i think the ref was a little harsh on us. Griffin, Muldoon and Wilkinson were outstanding. Frank murphy did well also. Not sure about the comments concerning off the ball stuff, quins were as guilty if not more so but mostly close in so not as obvious. I would put it at 1all between the two ex teammates o'shea and elwood. On this form noone is going to enjoy coming to Galway..

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3