The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Victor Ortiz vs Alfonso Gomez - FIGHT OFF

+7
TRUSSMAN66
OasisBFC
Valero's Conscience
mobilemaster8
Hammersmith harrier
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Gerry SA
11 posters

Go down

Victor Ortiz vs Alfonso Gomez - FIGHT OFF Empty Victor Ortiz vs Alfonso Gomez - FIGHT OFF

Post by Gerry SA Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:28 am

After 18 long months out of the ring, appearing on dance shows(what was he thinking???Shocked) and considering retirement.

'Vicious' Victor is finally returning on the Broner-Maidana undercard.

Rather bizarrely after two straight KO defeats, he's moved up to LMW and will fight for the IBF title. Ortiz is one of my favourite fighters, but I don't think it's fair he's getting a title shot.

Hoping for an Ortiz-Rios showdown in the future.

Last edited by Gerry SA on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:44 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Change of opponent/Fight off)

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Victor Ortiz vs Alfonso Gomez - FIGHT OFF Empty Re: Victor Ortiz vs Alfonso Gomez - FIGHT OFF

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:36 am

Ortiz rios is an easy sell (other than the fact one is GB and the other is TR) as there is a grudge there and 2 fan friendly fighters, but I fully expect Rios to be beaten up badly and there is no way Ortiz beats Molina

Ortiz benefits from using his size and power to get the win but at LMW he won't have that size so he will be easier to hurt and easier to outbox and while Molina isn't the best and is hard on the eye, he does win and only the very best can beat him easily

I think Gb are cashing in with Ortiz, why put him straight in with a really good fighter in Molina at a weight unfamiliar to him after such a long layoff and 2 consecutive knockout losses

Btw this card is on PPV with Broner-Maidana main event and Thurman-Soto Karass and Angulo making up the undercard, not a bad card if I do say so although not sure if PPV worthy

Back to top Go down

Victor Ortiz vs Alfonso Gomez - FIGHT OFF Empty Re: Victor Ortiz vs Alfonso Gomez - FIGHT OFF

Post by Gerry SA Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:44 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Ortiz rios is an easy sell (other than the fact one is GB and the other is TR) as there is a grudge there and 2 fan friendly fighters, but I fully expect Rios to be beaten up badly and there is no way Ortiz beats Molina

Ortiz benefits from using his size and power to get the win but at LMW he won't have that size so he will be easier to hurt and easier to outbox and while Molina isn't the best and is hard on the eye, he does win and only the very best can beat him easily

I think Gb are cashing in with Ortiz, why put him straight in with a really good fighter in Molina at a weight unfamiliar to him after such a long layoff and 2 consecutive knockout losses

Btw this card is on PPV with Broner-Maidana main event and Thurman-Soto Karass and Angulo making up the undercard, not a bad card if I do say so although not sure if PPV worthy
TBH, Soto Karass isn't a PPV boxer. Yes he beat Berto last time out in a very exciting fight, but he's a lower level fighter.

Angulo, after the Lara fight, shouldn't be on PPV so soon after quitting.

I think Ortiz's speed will be too much for Molina. But unless he's learnt how to defend, it could be Victor's last fight. As I can't see him continuing if he loses 3 in a row, especially if he gets KO'd again.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:55 am

Molina has dealt with slicker boxers like Lara and stronger guys like Angulo and Kirkland (true he lost but was winning before the unusual DQ) so I don't think Ortiz has anything that Molina hasn't seen, and while he dos have speed he isn't good enough to use it

Molina is also a spoiler and Ortiz' mentality is always in question and I can see him losing his rag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:30 am

I'm hoping Victor doesn't do something stupid like he did against Mayweather.

Personally I thought Ortiz would've returned against a non puncher.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:33 am

Molina is a non puncher Gerry, he's powder puff.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:35 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Molina is a non puncher Gerry, he's powder puff.
TBH mate, aside from the Berto fight, Ortiz has often looked for the easy way out.

Maidana - he quit
Floyd - butted him
Josesito - he quit

Soon as Molina lands anything hard decent, Victor could lose the plot.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Ha! Ortiz. Mentioned this guy in another thread about where the hell he was!!

Errrr is that Molina the guy that fought Smith and Kirkland in the "stinkers of the year" fights??

If so, Ortiz loses. He will get far too frustrated fighting boxing history's biggeat spoiler

Seriously this guy makes Hopkins look like pacquiao.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:30 am

I've always liked Ortiz and think he could be a star but always disappoints.

I think he has the ability to trouble everyone between 140-154ibs albeit would still come up short against the best and has questionable heart.

Molina has no power so a good fight for Ortiz to come to as long as he can stop the spoiling.

Agree about Ortiz vs Rios being a corker barring promotional issues (infuriating this is an obstacle for so many fights).

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:31 am

both 'knockout' defeats weren't really knock outs. mayweather caught him with an ungentlemanly but legal shot when victor was more interested in cuddling and in his last fight he broke his jaw and retired.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:33 am

Ortiz...............Shows you the doors that open to you when you're hispanic, colorful and a general crowd pleaser in Boxing.....

McDonnell take note...Next time you win a belt and have time out......Start using a sunbed, learn spanish and wear a sombrero......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:06 am

Looking like GBP are still trying to feed Ortiz to Canelo.

If Ortiz can take out Molina.

Canelo will be next up.

Canelo beating up a small man...where've I seen that before?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:26 am

What about hid knockout defeat to Maidana, Oasis?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:13 am

when you expect something from Ortiz he often fails, but then he can comeback with a great performance when it suits him. I think he wins this one, everyone jumps on the hype train, and then he fails in his next fight again

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:46 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:What about hid knockout defeat to Maidana, Oasis?
Again he quit instead of being knocked out, he was concerned in protecting his looks than winning. He has three knockout losses but he's yet to be properly knocked out.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:13 am

Its mental. His mentality is up and down.

He should beat molina but will no doubt quit against Alvarez.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by ErmanH Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:54 am

According to Dan Raphaels twitter page this fight is off as the IBF won't sanction Ortiz to challenge for the title.

ErmanH

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:30 am

Terrible comeback fight for Ortiz, so I hope it is off. Ortiz would be manhandled by Molina who is as ugly and effective as that combination comes.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:27 am

Hopefully we can see Ortiz in with someone he actually stands a chance against and someone has to tell Molina he won't get big fights unless he becomes softer on the eye as atm, he is the biggest stinker in boxing

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:38 am

I do feel for Molina he's been stitched up a few times in his career; Kirkland, Chavez, Alvarado and Lara should all have been wins for him in my opinion (if the kirkland fight went the distance). I've seen many say he should have beaten Willingham and Ochoa too but his styles tend to lead to him being screwed, he's very effective but awful to watch.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:19 am

Lance wrote:when you expect something from Ortiz he often fails, but then he can comeback with a great performance when it suits him. I think he wins this one, everyone jumps on the hype train, and then he fails in his next fight again
i was commenting on the above saying he was coming off the back of 2 KO defeats.
maidana was one of the most ferocious punchers in the world at light heavy, going down from his blows was no shame. the fact he seemed to duck out of it is another matter however....

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:52 am

As the change in title says.

Victor Ortiz will now face Alfonso Gomez on a bumper card in San Antonio's Alamadome.

Both fighters coming off a two fight losing streak.

The full fighy card is stacked.

Broner-Maidana(no longer ppv)
Thurman-Soto Karass
Santa Cruz-Seda
Shumenov-Kovas

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by trenchtownbaboon Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:12 pm

Lets hope Victor Knocks out Alfonzo bonzo and Maidana KTFO Broner comb my hair dad! urrrrgh what a horrid little person
trenchtownbaboon
trenchtownbaboon

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:22 pm

Well this fight makes a lot more sense than putting him straight in with Molina

Ortiz has his limitations but he's a marketable fighter and a big draw given his record. If he beats Gomez, which he should (remember Lopez though) as Gomez isn't at his level, he could go on to fight either Broner (which would sell well) or a rematch with Maidana depending on who wins or even one of Thurman or Soto Karass

There are so many fights for Ortiz, Guerrero is hanging about, Garcia says he's done at 140 and obviously the fight that didn't happen Canelo vs Ortiz which I'm sure GB still want to make

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:49 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Well this fight makes a lot more sense than putting him straight in with Molina

Ortiz has his limitations but he's a marketable fighter and a big draw given his record. If he beats Gomez, which he should (remember Lopez though) as Gomez isn't at his level, he could go on to fight either Broner (which would sell well) or a rematch with Maidana depending on who wins or even one of Thurman or Soto Karass

There are so many fights for Ortiz, Guerrero is hanging about, Garcia says he's done at 140 and obviously the fight that didn't happen Canelo vs Ortiz which I'm sure GB still want to make
Canelo Alvarez will fight Cotto or Martinez(moving up to 160) next. GBP have a big announcement night week.

Canelo vs Ortiz is off, as the only that fight was feasible was if Ortiz beat Molina for the IBF title.

Guerrero is facing the winner of Broner/Maidana.

Ortiz turned down a fight with Guerrero.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:46 pm

Alfonso Gomez has withdrawn from this fight after he fell over, whilst carrying with daughter, and whilst trying to cushion his fall landed awkwardly and broke his hand.

GBP are looking for a third new opponent for Ortiz now.

And again are looking for a fight at 154...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down