The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Hansen, take a bow.

+6
nganboy
Taylorman
kiakahaaotearoa
yappysnap
emack2
GloriousEmpire
10 posters

Go down

Steve Hansen, take a bow. Empty Steve Hansen, take a bow.

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:42 pm

A perfect 10-0 season and the skeleton of last years lapse against the Aussies dragged from the closet and buried deep under a pile of tries. This just a couple if weeks after the All Blacks clinched an historic victory away at Ellis Park. 

Two weekends, hundreds of kilometres of flight and the all too familiar spectre of a lack of motivation for the all conquering All Blacks looming. 

But somehow "shag" has managed to get the All Blacks up for this final home test of the season, maintaining a streak of 30 undefeated home games - another record whilst blooding a whole host of new talent into the All Blacks, maintaining the #1 ranking, playing sublimely beautiful rugby and suring up some historically problematic areas : locks and half back. Now we don't bat an eye if DC or the King Richie McCaw sit one out. 

He's now proven the most valuable skill of all - learning quickly from last year's mistake and nailing the coffin shut tight on the corpse of wallaby rugby. Just one more skeleton to wrench out and put to rest...

Sublime. Just sublime.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Steve Hansen, take a bow. Empty Re: Steve Hansen, take a bow.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:47 pm

All Blacks' coach Steve Hansen named the following squad for the end-of-season tour to Japan, France, England and Ireland in November.

Forwards:
Dane Coles, Andrew Hore, Keven Mealamu, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Owen Franks, Ben Franks, Joe Moody, Tony Woodcock, Brodie Retallick, Jeremy Thrush, Dominic Bird, Luke Romano, Sam Whitelock, Sam Cane, Steven Luatua, Richie McCaw (captain), Liam Messam, Kieran Read, Luke Whitelock

Backs:
Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Aaron Smith, TJ Perenara, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Cruden, Dan Carter, Tom Taylor, Ma'a Nonu, Ryan Crotty, Francis Saili, Israel Dagg, Frank Halai, Cory Jane, Charles Piutau, Julian Savea, Ben Smith.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/9305347/All-Blacks-squad-for-end-of-year-tour-named

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:48 pm

Nice to see Halai get his call up. Who the hell is Moody?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:50 pm

Thought exactly the same thing on both counts, must be on itm form

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:52 pm

An apprentice player will also be included, Ardie Savea! Which is fricken awesome to see.

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:56 pm

So apparently Moody is a former wrestling star with only two starts for Canterbury, who was previously named in the All Blacks squad and sat on the bench - the first test match he had attended. 

I totally missed that - he must be some talent.

A front row Bolter would be just what the doctor ordered right now.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:12 am

The Squad contains players for the Japan Game presumeably the ITM members added
to the squad are for that.
Nz use the ITM and 7`s Squads as tools to sharpen up fitness or nurse recently long
term injuries back to health.
Since 10 squad members are going straight to Europe the versus Japan side will be an
A side.
The two blips last season occurred which for various reasons AllBlacks training preperations
were disturbed.
Australia any where,any time are not easy beats pre match said it would be plus 10 ABs
I was 2 points out.
I don`t usually follow Club/Super/HC Rugby except read reports but this year both the
ITM/Ranfurly Shield games have been very competitive the Shield especially.
Good to see after the relative gloom surrounding ITM a coupleof years ago the base
for the AB`s continues to grow.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:07 am

That Ardie Savea looks a hell of a player. Very different style of 7 to most other Kiwi's in that position but with a frightening amount of potential. Big, powerful and very quick.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:38 am

Graham Henry leaves on a high. His mission complete. Hansen takes over and it makes sense from a continuity point of view but there were audible grumblings that he and the coaches he picked were not up to the task.

In the first RC he introduces a high tempo game. It doesn't look pretty in the beginning and not until the away Argentina match and the final match against SA does it seem to pay dividends. Then the poor game against Brisbane and a big defeat against England.

How does he get his team to respond? A perfect domestic season and now getting his players to regroup for Europe. The high tempo game sees us leak a few tries but also has us scoring at key times. It would be ideal to get some conditions where we need to grind out some wins. I think that's what we can expect in 2015.

As for the squad, I never thought it possible to reach the depth of 2007 and before. But this time it's different. There's an enthusiastic and motivated group of young players coming up and filling the top positions and a sprinkling of experience throughout the team. Looking forward to some cameos from Halai and Saili on this tour and hope TJ Perenara finally gets an opportunity.

He may be grumpy but Shag has us all smiling at the moment.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:21 am

Hi,Kia just a couple of words not happy that the plan is just you score 4 we`ll score 5
tries mode.It seems to much like 2002/3 under Mitchell ,also now it is beginning to look
like 2006.
Comments after the match about not knowing his top team seems apposite too.
Great to see players getting game time and building depth but the Defence is now
leaking too many tries.
On the NH tour we will see a more traditional forward orientated game and losses if
they come will occur there..
2014 expect 4 ns to be much closer both Boks and Oz beginning to look very good.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:45 am

I think we've seen two unusual games emack where both sides have laid down the gauntlet and both are convinced they can attack and score more.

I agree that this mentality was our undoing in 2007. Defence must be the cornerstone as well as attack. Leaking four tries and then three is worrying but to an extent it can be explained by the high tempo nature of the game.

I fully expect some difficult conditions in some if not all of these Autumn Internationals. That will see defence come to the fore rather than attack. If we see tries leaked under those conditions then there is cause for concern. Defence primarily has been part of the NZ game up north in recent years and that has come down to primarily the conditions much like we saw in the RC this year.

The difference to me with the team of 2005-2008 is that this team has a mentality to score when it counts. The 2005 - 2008 team had more the attitude we can score more than you which is not the same. Every time the opposition has had us under the pump, we have managed to hit back and relieve the pressure. I hope we do get some games where we have to grind out some wins. Not from outscoring the opponents but scoring when it counts.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:27 am

It's interesting to see Hansen's comments such as the aim of this tour is to develop our structures, skill sets and improve the overall squad or we can't beat our chests and say we're unbeatable. We always have to keep striving to be better as arrogance.

I see it as quite the opposite. I see it as an admission that if you don't look to improve other teams will catch you up. Staying humble and looking for improvement is far more preferable to thinking we're the best and we can beat anyone and have.

Some say it's an inability to see the good in what you're doing. I see it as what the opposition did well and how you can limit that the next time. High standards and looking for improvement rather than resting on your laurels. I see that as a model of professionalism and an admission that your competitors can overtake you if you don't innovate or look to stay ahead.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:14 pm

Agree with Alan about the defence. Sides scoring up to 30 points a match against us suggests they are (without probably admitting it) realising that the only way theyll stay with us is to score tries. Oz have always know this and the last 15 years is littered with high scores. SA are now joing the try scoring group so if gains are being made, its gains on us and the reason we are still winning is because the other sides havnt resolved the other side of the coin yet- leaking more tries.

To do this they'll need more mobility as well as have effective tighties in the pack and thats lacking with both SA and SA having either but not both of each.

For me SA will make the bigger gains as for them the problem is more selection and fine tuning the skill factor- they have the players- Oz dont.

But the consistency days are now numbered. The games got to go to another level or the ABs will struggle as others start catching up. We'll plateau soon then have nowhere to go. Strategy needs to change to stem the scoring against.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:37 pm

The ABs defensive frailty came between 12/13. Smith is no smith on defense and he needs longer to get Nonu organised. 

At Ellis park it was a different problem. We got exposed defensively out wide.

Who would've been playing there? Uh-oh.

Still he scores more tries than he leaks and scrambles well. Just showing some positional
Nativity at the moment and doesn't have that Saili Polynesian tackling enthusiasm to bail him out when he's caught short.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:23 pm

I assume you mean naivety and bugger Polynesian tackling enthusiasm (which is a rubbish statement anyway) we need C Smith style tackling accuracy and enthusiasm.

And I agree with the danger of the defence getting found out. In the end it cost you too much. The Chiefs have started winning only after they sorted their defence. There was definitely a try or two that should not have been scored against us last weekend.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:59 pm

The obvious point is that with Conrad Smith away on sabbatical the 13 will be a newcomer.
OR Nonu moved to 13 a position he covered in the past and has a shrewd kicking game as
recently demonstrated.
Brian Smith is a full back playing on the wing,so his tackling will be good BUT to expect a
player.To just drop into a strange position in his first test there and be perfect is naïve at
best.
I said that was where Australia would target that was obvious to any thinking person and
they will be working on it now.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:14 am

My comments werent so much about positional defensive roles rather than strategic overall. Wayne Smiths influence looks to have partially gone with hm to the Chiefs and although we still look to have things covered- One of the Oz tries was via an intercept as many are vs us- but lately there are more holes than usual.

We just need to tip the balance back to counter the abilities of other sides who have improved their attacks.

In the first 8 test weeks we leaked 7 tries- same as the last two tests so it wasnt too bad this year- just the way it ended. We'd need to tidy this up in the NH.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:51 am

Hi,Taylorman my point was in response to GE`s comment re Brian Smith,the one thing
this year especially.
Is the number of tries conceded by intercepts/charge downs when playing a high risk
style it is inevitable BUT.
On Saturday BOTH sides tried a long cut out pass with the same result the ball went
straight into touch.IF the passes had gone to hand both sides would have scored
another try.
Its great to watch but basicily it is bad rugby mistakes happen of course they do
and when a Coach says.Things like we have things to work on it is not arrogance
when a mike is shoved in your face post match just facts.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:42 am

Ben Smith I think you mean Alan. Brian Smith sounds like a trainspotter.

Our line defence has been generally good. We've been sketchy in the backs particularly through the centre channel. The conditions play a part. The tries have dried up for us in the wet but so too have the opposition's.

There's also the psychological buffer of being up on the scoreboard. When we've needed to score we've scored but when the scoreboard pressure comes off so too does our concentration and accuracy on defence.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:45 am

Alan it was coopers trademark long pass that lead directly to AACs try in the left corner, something I'd been alluding to all year in that the was needed him badly versus the lions for that reason. End of year we have the best 9 and 10 we all said should have been here from the start.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:54 am

yappysnap wrote:That Ardie Savea looks a hell of a player. Very different style of 7 to most other Kiwi's in that position but with a frightening amount of potential. Big, powerful and very quick.
Is he the 7 who played in the U20s? If so I thought he was their best player by miles but in a weak team, he got overwhelmed by a pretty average English pack but I think that was because he was a bit of a one man show. Very gritty player.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:09 am

Yep and Julian's younger brother. Still very young but last efforts for wellington in the itm cup have been stunning.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:06 pm

Taylorman wrote:Yep and Julian's younger brother. Still very young but last efforts for wellington in the itm cup have been stunning.
Thought so. That's interesting. I thought he was a very gutsy and aggressive punching above his weight, but also a little small for a flanker. Definitely a far better skill set than the other 7s in that tournament.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:03 am

Ardie Savea started to show some promise a while ago. He was great in last years ITM cup and had a few little runs in Super Rugby but then got injured. He's a bit small - he's worked hard to get himself up to 98kg I have read. So that means he's smaller than a few of the backs we have had eg Nonu, Savea, Gear, SBW. But he works like a dog and has a bit of an X Factor. Personally I think he will struggle with his size at the international level unless the tight 5 are gaining dominance - so he might be okay for NZ but would struggle for Aus for example.
Looking forward to him doing a great job this weekend and winning the ITM cup for us (finally!!!!)

Interesting to see who's in the Maori team this year. The Maori words tell us what Iwi (tribe) they are from. Lots of All Blacks and experience in the team with a few people with real potential.
Maori All Blacks: Forwards: Hookers: Hika Elliott (Ngāti Awa, Counties Manukau), Corey Flynn (Ngāi Tahu, Canterbury). Props: Ben Afeaki (Ngāti Awa, North Harbour), Nick Barrett (Ngāti Kahungunu, Southland), Chris Eves (Tainui, Manawatu), Kane Hames (Ngāi Tuhoe/Ngāti Porou, Bay of Plenty), Joe Royal (Te Arawa/Ngāti Whātua I Orakei, Bay of Plenty). Locks: Jarrad Hoeata (Ngāti Kahungunu/Ngāi Tuhoe, Taranaki), Luke Katene (Ngāti Toa, Canterbury), Joe Wheeler (Ngāi Tahu, Tasman). Loose forwards: Luke Braid (Ngāti Tumutumu, Auckland), Shane Christie (Ngāti Kuri, Tasman), Elliot Dixon (Ngāpuhi, Southland), Liam Squire (Ngāi Tahu, Tasman), Blade Thomson (Ngāpuhi, Taranaki). Backs: Halfbacks: Jamieson Gibson-Park (Ngāti Porou/Ngāi Tai, Taranaki), Piri Weepu (Te Whakatōhea/Ngāi Tahu, Auckland). First five-eighth: Ihaia West (Ngati Kahungunu/Ngāti Porou, Hawke's Bay). Midfield: Tim Bateman (Ngāi Tahu, Wellington), Charlie Ngatai (Ngāti Porou/Te Whanau-a-Apanui, Wellington), Jackson Willison (Ngāti Mahuta, Waikato). Outsides: Kurt Baker (Ngāpuhi, Taranaki), Zac Guildford (Ngāti Kahunganu/Ngāi Tahu, Hawke's Bay), Robbie Robinson (Ngāti Tuwharetoa, Southland), Andre Taylor (Ngāti Tuwharetoa/Ngāti Kahungunu, Taranaki), Matt Proctor (Ngāi te Rangi/Ngāpuhi, Welliington).
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:53 am

Joe moody . great that's all the opposition needs , is a up and coming huge wrestling all black to play against Shocked 

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:58 am

Olo Brown was an small accountant but noone ever got the better of him.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:00 pm

Good Maori side. Going to the itm final this weekend to support the lions against the yet again auks stuffers the can tabs...grrrr

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:20 pm

I must say I had some doubts about Hansen taking over initially but he's done a near perfect job so far.

He'll want to hammer England in the AIs to make up for last year at Twickenham. That game should be a cracker.

Just a shame the ABs have ducked the big one at Murrayfield this Autumn.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:28 pm

The team have met some stern challenges this year, but even for this All Blacks side, I feel Scotland, at murrayfield may be a mountain too far. I mean look what happened to the springboks...

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:29 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:The team have met some stern challenges this year, but even for this All Blacks side, I feel Scotland, at murrayfield may be a mountain too far. I mean look what happened to the springboks...
Quite right. SH sides struggle at Murrayfield - they should stick to playing Wales. Even Tonga had to take us to Pittodrie to wallop us.

This is shrewd scheduling by the ABs.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:52 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:The team have met some stern challenges this year, but even for this All Blacks side, I feel Scotland, at murrayfield may be a mountain too far. I mean look what happened to the springboks...
Quite right. SH sides struggle at Murrayfield - they should stick to playing Wales. Even Tonga had to take us to Pittodrie to wallop us.

This is shrewd scheduling by the ABs.....

Excellant idea FES.. Playing Wales at Murrayfield would be absolutely brilliant (and shrewd).

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:38 pm

Great idea like touring teams playing at Invercargill in Winter,breaking the ice on the pitch.
Getting the polar Bears to stop mating in the stands.Then playing in overcoats on ski`s

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Alan we dont have Polar Bears in the Southern Hemisphere, well apart from the ones on the labels of Australian bottles of rum that is.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:14 pm

Slippery beggars those penguins though. Not much in the scrum but they sure can wiggle quickly.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down