The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Might Hurt! Clermont v Quins Match Thread

+21
flankertye
Bristolian
SecretFly
kingjohn7
BigTrevsbigmac
VinceWLB
whocares
LeinsterFan4life
Hood83
Hubert Davenport
Ozzy3213
Cumbrian
quinsforever
kingelderfield
VietGwentRevisited
maestegmafia
ChequeredJersey
Notch
Artful_Dodger
butterfingers
yappysnap
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

This Might Hurt! Clermont v Quins Match Thread Empty This Might Hurt! Clermont v Quins Match Thread

Post by yappysnap Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:24 am

Thought it'd be amusing to have peoples views on the "interesting" match up between Clermont and Quins.

Teams:

Clermont: Byrne; Rougerie (capt), King, Fofana, Sivivatu; James, Lacrampe; Debaty, Kayser, Kotze, Pierre, Hines, Bonnaire, Lapandry, Chouly.

Replacements: Paulo, Chaume, Ric, Jacquet, Vosloo, Radoslavjevic, Delany, Nalaga.

Harlequins: Brown; Sackey, Hopper, Botica, Williams, Evans, Care, Marler, Buchanan, Collier, Easter, Robson, Wallace, Robshaw (capt), Guest.

Replacements: Ward, Lambert, Sinckler, Merrick, Trayfoot, Dickson, Smith, Walker.

If Quins can somehow get a losing bp then I'll be delighted. More likely though this could be a tough game to watch. The visitors have a decidedly B team feel about their selections and while it's not Clermonts strongest outfit it should be more then enough.

As a Quins fan I hope we just front up and don't let our heads drop, go out to score some tries and rekindle our mojo ready for the Prem. And please no more injuries!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

This Might Hurt! Clermont v Quins Match Thread Empty Re: This Might Hurt! Clermont v Quins Match Thread

Post by butterfingers Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:29 am

B team really?

Marler, Easter, Robshaw, Guest, Brown, Care, Evans, Sackey are all playing pretty well, as is Hopper.

Depends on the gameplan employed, if the Quins go there to spoil and try to grind out a win I think they're in trouble, if they go with the mindset of champions, allow Care to do what he does and keep the game on Quins terms then they may just upset the applecart.

I'll have my fingers crossed, I really enjoy watching quins play, and when theyre on form they are very difficult to play against.

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

This Might Hurt! Clermont v Quins Match Thread Empty Re: This Might Hurt! Clermont v Quins Match Thread

Post by yappysnap Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:41 am

B team was probably over stating it to be fair.

But also Evans is at about 60% of his best, Easter is terrible at lock as he's an 8 and just can't compete there, Sackey has played one game over a month ago in which he was pretty anonymous and Hopper is terrifyingly risky in defense so not sure where you're getting your opening statement from!

Add to that Botica is a 10 and really poor at 12 and that on the bench we have - Ward our 3rd choice hooker, Synckler our academy prop, Merrick our academy lock, Trayfoot our academy flanker and then two wingers to cover everything from 10 back.

I hope we can play well and stun Clermont who'll hopefully not be too focussed, at least to start with.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:22 am

yappysnap wrote:Sackey has played one game over a month ago
Didn't Sackey play most of the second half last week? Not to be pedantic or anything .. Smile

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:27 am

Sorry yapp. I think this one could get very ugly.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:22 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Sackey has played one game over a month ago
Didn't Sackey play most of the second half last week?  Not to be pedantic or anything ..  Smile
Yeah, he didn't look good though
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:34 am

Quins have nothing to lose and a some of England's Premierships most creative players in their side. Danny Care can turn last line defence into lethal attack as well as any world class scrum half, the team has a core who have been there and done it before.

Connor O'Shea will be telling the boys that this is the game where Quins turn their season around.

Clermont are a frightening force. But this game is far from a forgone conclusion should Quins find their heart.

The brilliance of the HEC has been reminded to us again and again. Let's hope this will be another great game for Quins, for the Heineken Cup and for rugby.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by VietGwentRevisited Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:51 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Clermont are a frightening force. But this game is far from a forgone conclusion should Quins find their heart.

Harlequins have heart. They lack muscle and real pace.

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:17 am

David (Jeff/Quins/Eng) v's Goliath (Top14/Clem/France) - I think this game encapsulates so much of where team England and English rugby is currently at. Our fixture model is fatally flawed and we subsequently play to much rugby and incur a desperate number of injuries which ruin the game/competition and commercial/fan spectacle - on this point we have illogically failed to learn from the sanzar structures and even from the ever increasingly equivalent NFL competition that runs for as little as 5/6 months a year.
We expect our clubs teams to compete in a state of exhaustion against Celtic squads who rest players in a far more appropriate manner or against the French whose clubs possess squads of such vast number that they are able to field two 1st teams to each of our one. Internationally we hideously disadvantage ourselves and yet still expect success, compare team NZ with team England - just look at the relative international fixture structures alone and you will realise there is not the proverbial 'hell's chance' of a fair playing field, and add to that the relative national games administrations where NZ have their very best leading the coaching panel compared to England where none YES NONE of the best coaches where even prepared to submit applications to lead the national side all because of the abomination that was the Thomas lead RFU and now we have student Lancaster coaching by the book.......I digress, this is indeed a year for reflection and should we/England lose all 3 autumn games(what a ghastly reflection it will be) what then?
As for today well truly it is Henry V and all that - let’s hope for a quagmire and a peculiar narrowing of the pitch and prey for some arrow like quins attack.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:36 am

I'm rowing and can't watch the match Sad

However the last time I didn't follow a Quins match live was Worcester so maybe it's better this way
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:51 am

comedy - just read that clermont are unbeaten at home for their last.....64 matches!!!!!

now the 12/1 odds make complete sense

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:03 am

Unfortunately I don't expect Quins to have a cat in hell's chance in this one and if they can't manage a losing BP, that could be just about curtains for their HC campaign. However, I’ll be watching the match and hoping your boys can prove me wrong.

I’ll also be watching it as a fan of the England national team, this is going to be just about the biggest test in club rugby that a team can face. It will be watching to see how the likes of Marler, Buchanan, Wallace and Brown get on.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:09 am

Sadly I can see this game being very one sided.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubert Davenport Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:13 am

Quins are currently second best. I can't fault their effort (unlike previous games this season)though

Hubert Davenport

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:23 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Sadly I can see this game being very one sided.
Yeah, think this is going to be a tonking. Quins do look like they've gone backwards this year, or at least stood still. Amazed that both Quins and Glos didn't identify the front 5 as a place needing some power and depth.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:25 am

quinsforever wrote:comedy - just read that clermont are unbeaten at home for their last.....64 matches!!!!!

now the 12/1 odds make complete sense
They lost at home in the HC semi in 2012?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:26 am

i got it from the asm officiel twitter feed...was the HC semi at another stadium even though notionally a home fixture?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:26 am

Quins defense not very well organised. Clermont centres having a field day so far.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:27 am

quinsforever wrote:i got it from the asm officiel twitter feed...was the HC semi at another stadium even though notionally a home fixture?
It was a home fixture in Bordeaux.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:28 am

it was at Stade Chaban-Delmas, Bordeaux

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:31 am

If i was a coach i would play the best defensive back in front of Sivivatu, no matter if it's a centre or full back.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:37 am

quinsforever wrote:it was at Stade Chaban-Delmas, Bordeaux
so does that mean that the Sarries loss against Toulose doesn't count as a home defeat?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by VietGwentRevisited Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:39 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
so does that mean that the Sarries loss against Toulose doesn't count as a home defeat?
no, Saracens were at home but chose to host it at a different ground.

HEC semi finals are deemed neutral venues.

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:40 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
dont know dont care. fact remains that a 64 game unbeaten run at Parc des Sports Marcel Michelin, ASM's home ground, which is where quins are playing them, is impressive.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:42 am

Yes thats a very very impressive statistic albeit its in the top14 where teams mostly send 2nd string teams to away games.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:44 am

the point, before i lose the will to live, was that they are strong at home....picard 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:47 am

Good try & great time to score. 20-13 Quins will take that.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:50 am

Quins are doing fine, no hammering materialized. First score in the second half for Quins and they could start thinking about an upset.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:52 am

quinsforever wrote:the point, before i lose the will to live, was that they are strong at home....picard 
Oh right are they? As a Leinster fan I wouldn't have clue. I mean we have only played them 6 times since 2010.

I was just making the point that they did lose at home in 2012.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:52 am

no hammering materialised so far...Fingers Crossed 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by VietGwentRevisited Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:56 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
quinsforever wrote:the point, before i lose the will to live, was that they are strong at home....picard 
Oh right are they? As a Leinster fan I wouldn't have clue. I mean we have only played them 6 times since 2010.

Except that semi finals count as neutral venues, and this was a darn sight more neutral than Leinster appearing at the Aviva.

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:58 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:

as someone pointed out above, HC semis are neutral games. its 230 miles from clermont to a bordeaux football stadium. same from sarries to old trafford. not exactly a home game either in feeling or in fact.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by VietGwentRevisited Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:58 am

quinsforever wrote:no hammering materialised so far...Fingers Crossed 
Indeed, Clermont look a much better team, but Quins fighting and scrapping for everything. Yet again Mike Brown phenomenal - he deserves the chance to play for England at home in his real position you would think.

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:03 am

VietGwentRevisited wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Except that semi finals count as neutral venues, and this was a darn sight more neutral than Leinster appearing at the Aviva.
There was still 25K plus Clermont fans to 4k or so Leinster fans. It still counts as a home semi.

Anyway enough on that.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:05 am

Come on Quins

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:13 am

Caulm down the f**K, lads! Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by VietGwentRevisited Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:23 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:There was still 25K plus Clermont fans to 4k or so Leinster fans. It still counts as a home semi.

Anyway enough on that.
Yeah, unlike Ulster and Munster, you guys tend not to travel too much Run

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:25 am

Very reckless by Marler. Not even a yellow card for something that meant to hurt. Citing territory.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:27 am

Marler is starting to get on like a right boobie.  Harlequins are right in this and he does that really stupid late tackle.  At a ruck not so long ago he also caused a lot of hand bags trying to provoke the Clermont player who had just conceded a penalty.

Pillock.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by VietGwentRevisited Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:30 am

You would have thought he would be growing out of this need to try and prove he is a man.

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:49 am

Quins playing their hearts out here. Clermont look much the better team and should/could be 25 points+ clear, yet if Quins had had better hands they could have scored a couple of tries to be in front. Also, bit of a curate's egg from Clancy here I feel. Let the breakdown become a bit of a free-for-all at times, whilst in other areas of play he's been a bit too picky, which is a shame as both teams look like they want to play.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubert Davenport Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:58 am

Quins definitely deserved the lpb

Hubert Davenport

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:00 pm

Agree with your analysis Bristolian, had trouble following Clancy refereing of the breakdown. I thought quins were superior to asm in the 2nd half specially in the rucks. Some of clermont players are a shadow of the players they were a season ago. Am worried for them.
Well done for the LBP.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:01 pm

VietGwentRevisited wrote:You would have thought he would be growing out of this need to try and prove he is a man.
Yeah, sadly he does have a bit of form for this (though he has grown up a bit in the last season or two). Noticed Easter and a couple of other Quins 'playing on the edge'. This does happen when one team feels they are on a hiding to nothing. The patting opposition players on the back has crept into the game and has to stop, it's more becoming of Footballers.

On the whole though, felt Quins did deserve the losing BP, but Clermont were very good value for the win.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:02 pm

if offered a lbp pre-match i would have bitten arm off

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm sure this has been said many many times before, but Quins need to invest in a man mountain of a second row.
Easter and Robson just cannot compete at H Cup level.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Good result for Quins in the end. LBP away in France is not to be sniffed at.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by VietGwentRevisited Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:29 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Good result for Quins in the end. LBP away in France is not to be sniffed at.
Yes - but December's clashes with Racing will be no easier.

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:41 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Good result for Quins in the end. LBP away in France is not to be sniffed at.
I'd sniff at it if I could get a win instead Wink

Ah only joking. Yep, LBP was indeed a handy bonus against the Harlem Globetrotters of European rugby.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Gwent, in the HEC you need to win your home games and the pick up any points you can away from home. Quins will be playing catch up after the Scarlets loss but there's plenty of time for them to make that up.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next