The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Trophies

+6
Rossa
Maverick
golfermartin
graeme
Davie
Doon the Water
10 posters

Go down

Golf Trophies Empty Golf Trophies

Post by Doon the Water Sat 14 May 2011, 9:21 pm

Do you keep your golf trophies medals etc on display in your house?

If so which one gives you the most satisfaction.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Golf Trophies Empty Re: Golf Trophies

Post by Davie Sat 14 May 2011, 9:26 pm

I've accumulated a few over the years and most are horribly tacky that get put away somewhere then thrown out in annual clear outs.

I have a shield from an annual society-type day that I'll have to give back soon that is left on display, a nice crystal glass decanter and a couple of engraved hip flasks. The rest hit the rubbish bin sooner or later

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Sat 14 May 2011, 11:46 pm

certain events (club champs, oom) at crail get you a pair of engraved crystal whisky tumblers. i've got 3 pairs tucked away in one of our glassware cupboards (but nothing from the last few years sadly). nett club championship is most prized (off 15 at the time).

they don't let the silverware out of the clubhouse obviously!

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Sat 14 May 2011, 11:54 pm

Most of our prizes are glass / crystal ware. All mine are on display in the "bar" area on glass shelves. The scratch prize is probably the most treasured but also those won playing for the club team are special

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 15 May 2011, 7:14 am

The only ones on display are of use! A lovely Waterford crystal decanter (filled with 18year old single malt) along with 6 crystal glasses that came with it. The other thing is a Swarovksi Crystal watch which Mrs Mav wears why a ladies watch was a prize in a mens comp I have no idea! But I let her think I bought it as a present.....

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Sun 15 May 2011, 9:34 am

The only one i have is only for this year and is left in the club house... i also have what i would describe as an 'etched glass plaque' (definitely not a 'paper weight' as my fiance bluntly calls it Whistle ) for winning the 'drive in' last year, which sits on my the golf shelf on my bookcase along with the likes of 'golf for dummies'...(present from said fiance...)
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 15 May 2011, 11:42 am

When my daughter was 14 she said ' I must be the only 14 year old girl in the world with 5 crystal fruit bowls'.

Takes after her faither though. she kept them in the boxes and saved a bob or two on wedding presents over the years. [the non engraved ones that is!]

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 15 May 2011, 2:08 pm

I'd won some crabby stuff over the years. One year my team in a society pretty much cleaned up and we won something like 7 or 8 little men each. Longest drives, nearest the pins, individual, team scores... We monstered it. Then we did it again the next year.

The trophies went one drunken night when I decapitated all the blokes with a sand iron seeing how far a plastic golfer head would fly.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Sun 15 May 2011, 6:14 pm

Is it usual for clubs to insist that trophies are kept at the club?

Some of the old silver cups and the like are worth a lot these days.

One of the trophies at my club is insured for £50K, that isn't allowed out.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 15 May 2011, 7:08 pm

George
I won a County trophy in the early 1980's.
It stood over two foot tall and you needed both hands to lift it, solid silver it was then insured for over £4.5k.
I was told I could take it home and Lady Doon insisted it was hidden in a deep cupboard for a year.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Sun 15 May 2011, 7:46 pm

I was informed that i could take it home, if i could demonstrate it was insured... As i was plastered at the gents dinner, i decided not to walk home across the course in the pitch black with it, while still unsure if it was covered on my insurance...

It sits in the trophy cabinet at the club, which is cool with me Smile so i can point it out to those that require a reminder of my achievements Whistle
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 16 May 2011, 1:03 pm

Like most people have said, I also have a useful collection of nice glasses. A few whisky tumblers, pair of shampoo flutes etc. These get used on a regular basis. My club is paranoid about it's silverware. When I won a knockout event, at the prizegiving I wasn't even allowed to take the cup back to my table. It was presented to me, photo taken then whipped straight back off me Shocked

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 16 May 2011, 1:17 pm

When I was a kid my mum used to put my sports trophies up in one of the bookshelves. Not sure I would put trophies up in my own house now. I have actually done the unthinkable and skipped a few prize givings when I have won prizes. You either have to stick around or come back, do clubs think you have all weekend to waste there?

Or even worse some clubs hold end of season ceremonies, really, go to club to do something other than play golf? I think not.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 16 May 2011, 1:37 pm

One of my clubs holds three presentation nights a year at the end of a 'major 'club competition.
Spring is for the presentation of the winter trophies, Summer is Captains Day
plus Spring events and Autumn is for Summer events.

Prizes for that days event are laid out on a table and the winners have first choice. If you don't turn up [without informing the club] you don't get a prize.

They are really good social events and IMO what being a member of a club is all about.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Mon 16 May 2011, 1:47 pm

The 19th title (Mac) wrote:When I was a kid my mum used to put my sports trophies up in one of the bookshelves. Not sure I would put trophies up in my own house now. I have actually done the unthinkable and skipped a few prize givings when I have won prizes. You either have to stick around or come back, do clubs think you have all weekend to waste there?

Or even worse some clubs hold end of season ceremonies, really, go to club to do something other than play golf? I think not.

We have the Gents Dinner in January when all the prizes are handed out, the respective team captains says a few words about their teams year and Captain has a word followed by a guest speaker, normally some form of humourous raconteur...you get to sit with your trophy on your table and get thoroughly smashed with your golfing buddies. Top fun!
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Mon 16 May 2011, 4:31 pm

our prizes are presented at the end of november at a prizegiving drinner. although the cups are all kept in the trophy cabinets for the rest of the year, the standard form at the prizegiving is to fill your cup(s) with the alcoholic beverage of your choice and then hand it round to all and sundry. everyone does it and it decends into a complete p*** up in about an hour flat. highly amusing!

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down