The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish inside backs in next few years

+2
Standulstermen
InBODWeTrust
6 posters

Go down

Irish inside backs in next few years Empty Irish inside backs in next few years

Post by InBODWeTrust Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:30 pm

There seems to be great crop of young footballing Irish backs coming through at the minute which is great to see.

What are your predictions for the 10-12-13 shirts once D’arcy and BOD hang up the boots?

10 - Sexton (still has plenty of time on his hands)/Jackson/Madigan/Hanrahan

12 - Marshall/Olding

13 - Henshaw/Payne/Macken

Apologies if anyone has been missed out but that is just off the top of my head and obviously there are guys I have mentioned above who can fill more that one position.

InBODWeTrust

Back to top Go down

Irish inside backs in next few years Empty Re: Irish inside backs in next few years

Post by Standulstermen Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:54 pm

Payne will be Picked next season. He will be Ireland's best 13 when the great man goes and he will probably be Ireland's best 15 too.

At the minute Marshall at 12. Long term olding will probably have to be accomodated. Henshaw I know less off but he seems highly thought of.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Irish inside backs in next few years Empty Re: Irish inside backs in next few years

Post by profitius Sat 26 Oct 2013, 1:08 am

From watching U20s in the last few years there are a few that stand out like...

Hanrahan 10/12
Olding 10/12/13/15
Tom Farrell 13

Tonight Hanrahan and Olding showed what they can do. Farrell impressed everyone during the summer and outclassed Aussies, Kiwis and French backs.

There are a few others like the following who could also make it to full international rugby

Tom Daly center
Chris Farrell center
Rory Scannell 10, 12, 15
Crosbie 10
etc

It seems like the next crop of U20s are going to be very good also.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 26 Oct 2013, 9:21 am

Farrell (Tom) did show up well for me as did daly. Don't agree on Crosbie or Scannell though. Talented but just don't scream pro to me.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 26 Oct 2013, 9:56 am

10. Olding
12. Olding
13. Olding
15. Olding
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 26 Oct 2013, 11:17 am

The only concern I would have with Olding at full back is that he is quite small.. however Halfpenny is one of the premier 15s in the world and he is probably just as small.  Yet he is very, very solid under the high ball.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 28 Oct 2013, 6:17 am

I loved the Ulster set up this weekend. Marshall at 12 gives a massive physical presence and Payne I believe is actually better in at 13 than at 15, he runs such intelligent lines and is so natural in everything he does, nothing looks forced. He's quickly becoming one of my favourite players.
Olding looked real good at 15 too and when he comes in at first receiver he adds real value.

I think I will add Fitzgerald to that list. I think when BOD and Darcy go, we will see more of Fitzgerald at 13 which I believe could be his best position.

Henshaw looks good to me but a bit error prone perhaps, that being said he is very young.
Daly looks awesome whenever he plays IMO.

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down