The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleverly moves to Cruiser!!

+15
KingMonkey
rob-glos
Mayweathers cellmate
compelling and rich
Valero's Conscience
Lance
catchweight
John Bloody Wayne
hampo17
hogey
Seanusarrilius
ONETWOFOREVER
Scottrf
Rowley
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
19 posters

Go down

Cleverly moves to Cruiser!! Empty Cleverly moves to Cruiser!!

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:48 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/wales/24743754

The key part of this story is "Cleverly will face Daniel Ammann for the vacant Commonwealth title at London's Copper Box Arena"

Isn't this EVERY belt that Cleverly has ever fought for has been a vacant one???

Was a British, Commonwealth, European and world title holder but never fought a respective champion in his life.

Good luck on your new journey Nath, I'll be keeping a close eye on it....as usual Wink 
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Cleverly moves to Cruiser!! Empty Re: Cleverly moves to Cruiser!!

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:51 am

Just seen that Ammann's last defeat was a knock out too.......Brad Pitt!!!

I thought he only acted as an actor in Snatch!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:52 am

Odd move to be honest. Obviously understandable if Clev can no longer make light heavy but cruiser is and always has been a bit of a graveyard division and is hardly talent packed currently. It is risky reading between the lines but can’t help but get the impression Clev is falling out of love with the game a bit. Still think he has something to offer at light heavy if he can be bothered.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:53 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Acted as an actor Reborn? Heavy night last night?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:55 am

Rowley wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Acted as an actor Reborn? Heavy night last night?
Doh 

Acted as a boxer!!! Sorry Rowley, I see you don't just act as a Mod either Laugh 
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:01 pm

"Ammann is a proper cruiserweight and has even fought at heavyweight... he looks like a big, rough, tough Aussie"

Yea a massive 5ft 11'' Heavyweight!!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:04 pm

I haven't seen vacant appear so many times on a record since reading TRUSSMAN's psychiatric reports.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Scottrf wrote:I haven't seen vacant appear so many times on a record since reading TRUSSMAN's psychiatric reports.
Laugh clap 
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:17 pm

It can't be money.

Light heavy is packed with talent right now with the current crop of Canandians, Froch potentially moving up, B-Hop, and revenge against Kolorov why would Clev move to Cruiser unless he has lost confidence?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:23 pm

He is moving up because he has been exposed at LH. This is a tried and tested method that many fighters have tried. All I can say is, if you thought he was protected at LH, wait until you see him at cruiser.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:25 pm

Maybe to try and win another easy vacant title? Maybe to have a PPV blockbuster against Enzo Mac?

Hard to say with Nathan, his career up to now has been a bit comical when in fact it could have been far better had they not chose Karpency's, Hawkes, Krasqui (or whatever hes called) as fights. Look at Bellew for example. He's not even champion and even a win against a finished Edison Miranda is better than any title defence Nath has on his padded record.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Good move for him i say, he should be more comfortable at the weight and has a real chance of actually winning a world title for real and maybe even dominating the division for a good few years as opposed to making up the numbers in the top 10 at light heavy.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:05 pm

I would take Huck, Hernandez, Lebedev & Guillermo Jones to do a job on Nathan. But I fully expect that Clev won't fight ANY of these guys. He will be milked that little bit more by Warren for an Enzo Mac fight. That is written in the stars. Can't be taking this career seriously after the nonsense at LH
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:09 pm

What ever happened to Alexander Frenkel. He never fought again after he beautifully sang Enzo a lullaby
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I would take Huck, Hernandez, Lebedev & Guillermo Jones to do a job on Nathan. But I fully expect that Clev won't fight ANY of these guys. He will be milked that little bit more by Warren for an Enzo Mac fight. That is written in the stars. Can't be taking this career seriously after the nonsense at LH
I am not sure any of them are really that good, and i would give Clev a good shot of outboxing any of them.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I would take Huck, Hernandez, Lebedev & Guillermo Jones to do a job on Nathan. But I fully expect that Clev won't fight ANY of these guys. He will be milked that little bit more by Warren for an Enzo Mac fight. That is written in the stars. Can't be taking this career seriously after the nonsense at LH
Before or after his failed drug test?

Cleverly doesn't hit hard enough to keep these guys honest, while he has a good engine some of these guys will have him doing the wobbly knee dance in the first six rounds.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Cleverly will have ZERO impact on the crusier division. It is time people got real about his talent. He has no power at LH, none. So at cruiser he will have -10. He will also be taking shots of much bigger men. We have to stop treating Clev like an ex champ, and remember how he became champ. Sad to say, and I hope I am wrong, but I think he gets beat by all the top crusiers. Stick him in with Lebedev, Huck, Afolabi, Hernandez and he is done.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Very curious move for a guy who relies on being to take a shot and hasn't shown much classic boxing ability.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:32 pm

He will probably just repeat what he did at light heavyweight. Fight a lot of crap cruiserweights and then get splattered when he steps up against a decent hard hitting one.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:12 pm

expect Warren to sell some grudge matches against Enzo and Mckenzie who are both looking at going back to cruiser themselves I think. Maybe stick him in with Tony Conquest and a couple of Polish guys with only one defeat. I like Boxnation getting the international cards, but Franks own ones are getting pretty thin now

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Agree with Lance. After his first fight he can have a fight with Enzo in Wales which would generate enough local interest to generate decent money for both guys. Must you can have the McKenzie fight and then another fight with Ofalabi and that will see him busy for 2 years.

By then the landscape will change and he'll have more options I'm sure.

He'll have to rely on going the distance because as others have said he has zero power and will also be more cautious about his chin.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:59 pm

I wonder will he go back to being a prospect again.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:18 pm

Rowley wrote:Odd move to be honest. Obviously understandable if Clev can no longer make light heavy but cruiser is and always has been a bit of a graveyard division and is hardly talent packed currently. It is risky reading between the lines but can’t help but get the impression Clev is falling out of love with the game a bit. Still think he has something to offer at light heavy if he can be bothered.
think that's the key, he can move up, mouth off about being a two weight world champion without having to face some of the bigger challenges out there in light heavy.

he's probably looked at the light heavyweight champ list compared to the crusier weight list and seen the difference. while im not certain he is good enough to win a world belt even at crusier, he's got a better chance there than light heavy

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Cleverley must have struggled making 175 badly. No other reason for him to go up to CW.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:59 pm

Maybe he hit the eclairs big time after being humiliated by Kolalev
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Cleverley must have struggled making 175 badly. No other reason for him to go up to CW.
No other reason, except the level of competition is far lower in the CW divison. He has been beaten out of the LH division. Can't beat Stevenson, Kovalev, Pascal or BHop

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:41 pm

His lack of power will be even more evident at Cruiser...

Wonder how his chin will hold up... First puncher he faced demolished him and LH to CW is the biggest weight jump apart from the Heavies.

Although Kovalev may have taught him a lot.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Lack of competition, plain and simple really.

Genuine shame that his career has gone the way it has because this move does nothing to resurrect it.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:06 pm

While I agree that Cleverly probably won't make a big impact at Cruiserweight, he didn't do too badly at light heavyweight.

I would pick Kovalev against most in that division, he is a monster, he destroyed Campillo (who gave Cloud hell) and he also destroyed Cornelius White (Who dominated Dmitry Sukhotsky)

Kovalev is no chump.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:22 am

he did struggle to make light heavy I think.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:41 am

I heard he was going to cruiser a few weeks ago and my first reaction was he's deluded. Looks like he's running away from LH.

Has he got a new trainer? His old man said he would step aside.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:00 am

catchweight wrote:He will probably just repeat what he did at light heavyweight. Fight a lot of crap cruiserweights and then get splattered when he steps up against a decent hard hitting one.
This is just insulting. Cleverly is a clever lad (it's in his name) and learns from his mistakes. He will therefore never step up his opposition again and just keep fighting crap.

In seriousness, it does look like he doesn't fancy the level of competition in the LHW ranks. Expect the spin machine to be in full flow.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:01 am

catchweight wrote:He will probably just repeat what he did at light heavyweight. Fight a lot of crap cruiserweights and then get splattered when he steps up against a decent hard hitting one.
This is just insulting. Cleverly is a clever lad (it's in his name) and learns from his mistakes. He will therefore never step up his opposition again and just keep fighting crap.

In seriousness, it does look like he doesn't fancy the level of competition in the LHW ranks. Expect the spin machine to be in full flow.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:42 am

Seanusarrilius wrote:
Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Cleverley must have struggled making 175 badly. No other reason for him to go up to CW.
No other reason, except the level of competition is far lower in the CW divison. He has been beaten out of the LH division. Can't beat Stevenson, Kovalev, Pascal or BHop
You think he's deliberately moving to the least attractive division in boxing where he will be out-weighed by 20 or so pounds by each opponent because it is the easiest way of furthering his career?

Cleverly has lost one fight, to probably the best LH on the planet, it is too early to right him off. Belew, a guy he beat quite comfortably, is fighting for the title next month. One thing that annoys me with the Cleverly loss is that he didn't use it as an excuse to get in a proper trainer. IMO his stint at CW will be temporary, so that he can have a few warm up fights without having to struggle to make weight, before dropping back to LH.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:03 am

hogey wrote:
I am not sure any of them are really that good, and i would give Clev a good shot of outboxing any of them.
I don't think you will need someone that good to beat Clev. He whole style is wrong. He has no power but fights like a man who has tons of it. He was feather-fisted at LHW so at CW, his punches will barely register. First semi-decent guy he fights will just walk right through him.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:25 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:Agree with Lance. After his first fight he can have a fight with Enzo in Wales which would generate enough local interest to generate decent money for both guys.  Must you can have the McKenzie fight and then another fight with Ofalabi and that will see him busy for 2 years.

By then the landscape will change and he'll have more options I'm sure.

He'll have to rely on going the distance because as others have said he has zero power and will also be more cautious about his chin.
I'd pick Ofalabi to smash Clev to be honest.

Maybe a step up against Mcphilbin?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down