The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Murray Heading Into Roland Garros

4 posters

Go down

Andy Murray Heading Into Roland Garros Empty Andy Murray Heading Into Roland Garros

Post by legendkillar Mon May 16, 2011 6:51 am

Well folks those who watched yesterday's cracking Semi-Final between Murray v Djokovic can take heart that they saw someone come close, so very close to ending the streak. Murray had Djokovic there for the taking and just couldn't get himself over the line. Clay has become some what of a mystery to Murray. Someone who's latter developmental years came on the red stuff and yet has had some difficulty stringing results together. His best run was in 2009 when he won 9 and lost 4. 2011 looks promising. 3 Clay tournaments. 2 Semi-Finals. Currently 7-3 and I think he has the best chance to best that run in 2009. Right now Murray is in better place than he was 3 months ago after back to back defeats against players outside the top 100. What he has now shown is that he has the game to breakthrough to the top 3 in the world. He is now showing a mix of safe and aggressive play which is proving very effective. It did against Nadal in MC where by he could've gone all the way and again yesterday against Djokovic where a more ruthless player would've seen that match out. I feel confident about Murray heading into the French Open. All that needs improving is his serve and a better approach on court if the match is not going his way. No need for the swearing. He needs to go out there and impose himself. He did that against Djokovic and Mayer. I am hoping he can get Darren Cahill in his corner as rumours that his input has rubbed off on Murray and I hope the 2 can find some mutual ground which benefits both parties. All paths now lead to Paris and it will be interesting to see what side of the draw Murray is on.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray Heading Into Roland Garros Empty Re: Andy Murray Heading Into Roland Garros

Post by Solerina Mon May 16, 2011 6:55 am

Great post, Legendkillar : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray Heading Into Roland Garros Empty Re: Andy Murray Heading Into Roland Garros

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon May 16, 2011 7:02 am

Can't see Murray getting pass the 1/4s at Roland Garros.

Over 5 sets, there are many clay courters whom can take Murray out.

Would you have said that of his semi with Djoko, imagine it as a 5 setter, what do you think the result would have been ?

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon May 16, 2011 7:05 am

I reckon he will get to semi's.

I can't see anyone other than Djokovic taking him out over 5 sets at the moment.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon May 16, 2011 7:07 am

legendkillar wrote:I reckon he will get to semi's.

I can't see anyone other than Djokovic taking him out over 5 sets at the moment.
Murray takes himself out.

You can't let your mind go walkabout in a Slam

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon May 16, 2011 7:10 am

sonic_boom10 wrote:
legendkillar wrote:I reckon he will get to semi's.

Murray takes himself out.

You can't let your mind go walkabout in a Slam

Players will not want to see Murray in their draw.

Murray mentally is in a better place. Depends on the draw he gets because last year he had Gasquet and Monaco in the first 2 rounds, so I am hopeful of a kinder draw.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon May 16, 2011 7:50 am

Murray has really improved his game on clay this year I think, his movement looks much better (saw him slide around pretty comfortably yesterday whereas previous years he looked really akward doing it), and he's added a heavy forehand which he has used to good effect.

I agree with killar when he says players will not want to see Murray in their draw. If he gets a decent draw no reason he can't reach the semis. Ferrer is the only guy I see beating him before then...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon May 16, 2011 7:58 am

Hey MFC

I can't even see Ferrer beating Murray on clay at the moment. When you look at tonights final and see Nadal unable to find something to change the mommentum and you see Murray last night and how he took Djokovic to the limit and should've won it. Like you say he has a much heavier forehand and if he can just get that first serve up to scratch he will reach the semi's no problems.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon May 16, 2011 8:03 am

well I didn't see today's game (was playing cricket), but I'm very surprised at the result. I thought Murray had knackered Djokovic enough yesterday, and with relatively short recovery time didn't expect him to beat Rafa today. Maybe he's got inside his head a bit?

Ferrer will always be a tricky customer I think, though if Murray plays as well as yeterday he'll beat him. Can he beat one of the big two? Well yesterday he came closer than anyone has all year to beating Djokovic and in MC pushed Nadal despite being injured so I'd say anything's possible...

Serve needs to be what it was in the second set yesterday. If he can get it to that level of consistency and fficiency (Djokovic the best returner on tour returned less than half his first serves) he's a threat to anyone.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon May 16, 2011 8:10 am

I thought maybe Djokovic had a mental edge over Nadal. Nadal's looping forehand was short and Djokovic stepped in and took control.

I thought Djokovic was going to be tired from yesterday, but he was clinical. He took the chances when they came and that is why he won today. He played tight on his service games and it worked.

I think Murray can beat the top 2. He needs to do what he did against Nadal at MC and Djokovic last night and little more.

Other than that I think he now has a solid enough game to go deep in the Grand Slams

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon May 16, 2011 9:06 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/13403645.stm

This is what I like to see. I am hoping this attitude and belief is here to stay

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon May 16, 2011 10:20 pm

I must say I thought Murray's attitude in he Djokovic match was pretty good too, didn't berate himself too much, and generally looked really focused. If he can keep that attitude going into RG he should be just fine.

As for going deep in the slams killar, well so far he has two semis at wimbledon, a final at the US, and two finals at the AO. It's not a bad record at all, and I think sometimes he gets harshly criticised for it...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon May 16, 2011 10:37 pm

Hey MFC

He has got the right attitude. Like he said he has his head screwed on.

I agree he is harshly criticised. I think the press view it as a failure when he doesn't win a slam. He has already won more Masters titles than Henman. He is by and large the best male British player we have ever had.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon May 16, 2011 11:16 pm

legendkillar wrote:Hey MFC

He has got the right attitude. Like he said he has his head screwed on.

I agree he is harshly criticised. I think the press view it as a failure when he doesn't win a slam. He has already won more Masters titles than Henman. He is by and large the best male British player we have ever had.
In the modern era yeah?

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon May 16, 2011 11:32 pm

No, I meant all time.

If you decide to throw in Fred Perry then I will say this, his Grand Slam achievements were as an amateur and not a professional and his career record was 106-12 and nowhere near the competition there is now.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down