The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: McGladrey Fireworks?: Notes from the Ballwasher

+11
puligny
BlueCoverman
Shotrock
twoeightnine
MontysMerkin
super_realist
robopz
Roller_Coaster
McLaren
GPB
kwinigolfer
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: McGladrey Fireworks?: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: McGladrey Fireworks?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 05 Nov 2013, 7:36 pm

1).Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
Kuchar, Zach Johnson and Love(III) . . . . .

Yup, it's time for fireworks and a trip to the "Golden Isles" of Georgia, and Sea Island's lovely Seaside Course, originally a Harry Colt/Alison 9-holer, more recently reworked and added to by Tom Fazio.
The place usually looks a picture and, weather permitting, we'll be in for a bonfire full of birdies and eagles.

2).Last week's Shanghai shenanigans was all about the big Banger, Dustin Johnson, with Paulina in close attendance trying to figure out exactly what $1.4M might buy.
Only Dustin's Iowa cousin Zach (10), among Americans born BT (before Tiger) ((Edit, GPB and McLaren point out this should read A.T., After Tiger, mucho apologies to the Johnsons)) has more wins than DJ's eight; that's his seventh straight season with a win, and a trivia question for fifty years hence:
"Which Tour player won his seasonal debut in consecutive seasons, but in the same year?".

3).If Dustin's the Banger, Ian Poulter is surely the Sparkler. Both his PGA Tour wins have been in WGC's and his four runner ups were at:
The Open.
The Players.
2 x WGC's (also the 2006 American Express)

Perhaps he has terminal ADD at "regular" Tour events, but you'd hope this track record might better focus him for Major success soon? Pinehurst??

4).Phil Mickelson is the only WGC:HSBC Champions winner and, with few exceptions, the US entry has fared poorly in Shanghai:
2009: Phil wins: Moore (3rd), Watney (5th), Woods (T6), Kim (T10) and Perez (T10) in the Top 18.
2010: Only Woods (T6) in Top 20.
2011: Only Mahan (T7) in the Top 10.
2012: Runners up galore! Dufner, Phil, Piercy, plus Haas (10) and Sneds (T11) in the Top 15.
2013: DJ wins: Bubba (T8) and his schoolmate Boo (T11), plus Phil (14) and Pieth (17) in the Top 20.

Hopefully more Americans get their passports working for 2014.

5).Time out for a few Champions Tour notes following last week's season-ending Charles Schwab Championship held at San Francisco's Harding Park, a gorgeous public course; 18 holes will cost a resident $40.00.
Fred Couples won the event, Kenny Perry banked $1M for season-long achievement measured by a points system, and Langer pocketed $2.4M as season money winner (that's $12.5M and counting for his Champo career).

6).Mark O'Meara had a good week, tied for second, but let the chip on his shoulder stir up some controversy from his pulpit. I paraphrase:
"Nothing against Fred (of course not), but I've won more Majors than him, won more Tour events than him. And he's in the Hall of Fame and I'm not. I haven't been invited to Captain Presidents Cup teams or Ryder Cup teams (hardly surprising that one)."

7).In the wake of 2013's induction of Couples, Montgomerie and Ken Schofield there have been increasing complaints, led by Ray Floyd, from HOF Members that "enshrinement" has become devalued. (And surely they have a point.) Commentator Lanny Wadkins expressed sympathy and then lamented that he felt his own induction was belated. Which is stretching a point.
Meanwhile, the Hall of Fame had already announced that it will suspend any further inductions until at least 2015.

8).Tim Finchem received good news from California as Farmers Insurance announced a five-year extension to their sponsorship of the San Diego Open.
His announcement of a collaboration in China which will offer five web.com cards following this season, however, has stirred up twitterage from mini-Tour golfers concerned that exemptions (and tee times) are being offered to all and overseas sundry, at their expense. They're right!

9)."The McGladrey Classic" owes its existence in large part to tournament host Davis Love and Zach Johnson, both local residents as are many others such as Kuchar, Kirk and English. Webb Simpson yipped away a winning chance in 2011 and should still be in top form, while this course has been good to David Toms in the past.
Robert Karlsson gets a rare start while Clarke, Davis and Knox complete the GB challenge.

10).The fireworks last year were launched by Two Gloves Gainey who torched the Seaside Course for a record-setting 60 and won by one shot.
Meanwhile, two contemporaries of Guy Fawkes, Calcavecchia and Funk, are in the field, although it remains to be seen whether in effigy or not.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 06 Nov 2013, 1:36 am; edited 2 times in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: McGladrey Fireworks?: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: McGladrey Fireworks?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Tue 05 Nov 2013, 11:15 pm

Werent Zach and Dustin born A.T. (After Tiger?)

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: McGladrey Fireworks?: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: McGladrey Fireworks?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:16 am

GPB wrote:Werent Zach and Dustin born A.T. (After Tiger?)
There are quite a few players born B.T that have more than DJ's 8 wins. Not anyone too well known or anything, just Jack Nicklaus, Hogan, Watson........ even Wiffy Cox has 9.

VJ's lawyer trumpeting the Gary Player line that many golfers have been doping, and even caught in some instances, but no punishments handed out.

http://golfnewsnet.com/ryan_ballengee/2013/11/04/singhs-lawyer-alleges-pga-tour-repeated-drug-program-exceptions-5385/
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:40 am

GPB, Mac,
MISPRINT!

Can't be too careful with viewers calling in all the time.
I've seen the oscillation, admit the error and will correct. THANKS!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 06 Nov 2013, 9:52 am

kwinigolfer wrote:

Can't be too careful with viewers calling in all the time.
laughing

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 06 Nov 2013, 4:41 pm

Quite a measured explanation from Ernie Els in his blog this week about the European Tour's demands on playing 3 out of 4 "Finals":

"Most people would understand the Tour's point of view and that it needs to find a way to coax the top players into playing more of these big events, but it's hard to say if the direction they're going is the right one. We'll see."
But: "It's a disappointing scenario for me personally."

On the plus side, Els would probably feel he's done himself a favour in getting 2 PGA Tour events towards his requirement for 2013/2014 out of the way.

It seems the E.T. players are rather circling the wagons in anticipation that there'll be a review of the situation at year's end. Thomas Bjorn in much demand as Ombudsman one would think.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 06 Nov 2013, 5:54 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Can't be too careful with viewers calling in all the time.
I've seen the oscillation, admit the error and will correct. THANKS!
CHEATER!!! laughing

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 06 Nov 2013, 6:17 pm

No cheating this time.
I should have noted that Kiradech Aphibarnrat is now eligible to apply for "Special Temporary Membership" of the PGA Tour.
No idea whether/when he plans to take up this opportunity, but obviously will be playing on the E.T. this week and next.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 06 Nov 2013, 8:14 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I should have noted that Kiradech Aphibarnrat is now eligible to apply for "Special Temporary Membership" of the PGA Tour.
No idea whether/when he plans to take up this opportunity, but obviously will be playing on the E.T. this week and next.
Are you sure about that?   Here's the rule for Special Temporary Members from the 2013-2014 PGA Tour Regulations Section: III/2/b

If, during the course of a PGA TOUR season, a nonmember of PGA TOUR wins an amount of points (e.g., by playing in PGA TOUR tournaments through sponsor exemptions, foreign player exemptions, open qualifying, sectional qualifying, etc.), when combined with points earned in official money World Golf Championship events (collectively "combined points"), equal to or greater than the amount won in the preceding season by the 150th finisher on the FedExCup Points List, as determined in accordance with Section A of Article III, then such player will become eligible to become a Special Temporary Member of PGA TOUR for the remainder of the season, provided that he joins PGA TOUR in such category within 60 days after becoming eligible. Upon payment of annual dues to PGA TOUR, such member shall be eligible for an unlimited number of sponsor exemptions for the remainder of the season.

By my read... Aphibarnrat is currently at 176 non-member FedEx points (162.5 for the CIMB + 13.5 for the WGC-HSBC = 176).   Current non-member points stat: http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02398.html

According to last year's points list, 278 points are needed for Special Temporary Membership. 2013 Final FedEx Points list: http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02394.html#2013

EDIT: HOWEVER... Aphibarnrat almost certainly has enough points to qualify for next year's web.com playoffs (must be equivelent to #200 or better). In 2013 that threshold was 92 points... so even if that threshold goes up to maybe 120-130 this year... he's safe for that.

Last edited by robopz on Wed 06 Nov 2013, 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 06 Nov 2013, 8:21 pm

Robo:  The HSBC announcers were saying that all Kiradech had to do was collect a paycheck at HSBC to get STM.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 06 Nov 2013, 8:23 pm

robo,
No! I'm not sure, just assumed the RotoWorld entry was correct - perhaps RotoWorld was a year out of date as he/she measures it by $'s and reckoned the Barn Rat needed just shy of $419K, which he has now exceeded.

When I first read about the possibility, when the CIMB was still in progress, I referenced the STM rule and found the same as you did - just assumed the cash earned somehow qualified as well, basically because Roto said so!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 06 Nov 2013, 8:46 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:robo,
No! I'm not sure, just assumed the RotoWorld entry was correct - perhaps RotoWorld was a year out of date as he/she measures it by $'s and reckoned the Barn Rat needed just shy of $419K, which he has now exceeded.

When I first read about the possibility, when the CIMB was still in progress, I referenced the STM rule and found the same as you did - just assumed the cash earned somehow qualified as well, basically because Roto said so!
I've got a call in now... I think I may have provided the WRONG paragraph... will get back...

EDIT:  I apparently provided the CORRECT information...   The new regs book is confusing on this matter...   But as always there are TWO benchmarks within Special Temporary Membership.

#1 is obtained by achieving equivalent to #150 from the prior year FedEX points list (as per the paragraph below which is the same I provided in my prior post).  In the past MONEY was the benchmark used for the #150 level.

2013-2014 PGA Tour Regulations Section: III/A/2/b
If, during the course of a PGA TOUR season, a nonmember of PGA TOUR wins an amount of points (e.g., by playing in PGA TOUR tournaments through sponsor exemptions, foreign player exemptions, open qualifying, sectional qualifying, etc.), when combined with points earned in official money World Golf Championship events (collectively "combined points"), equal to or greater than the amount won in the preceding season by the 150th finisher on the FedExCup Points List, as determined in accordance with Section A of Article III, then such player will become eligible to become a Special Temporary Member of PGA TOUR for the remainder of the season, provided that he joins PGA TOUR in such category within 60 days after becoming eligible. Upon payment of annual dues to PGA TOUR, such member shall be eligible for an unlimited number of sponsor exemptions for the remainder of the season.

- - - - -

#2 Once a non-member obtains equivalent to #125 in either MONEY or FEDEX points... then he gains exempt status for the next year.  If he gains #125 in MONEY or FEDEX points via a win, then he is eligible for instant membership.   The key difference here is that this #125 threshold uses both MONEY or FEDEX points...   Here is that language (which is actually the paragraph right above the one above)

Subject to the provisions concerning notification to PGA TOUR as set forth below in this Section A-2b, if a nonmember of the PGA TOUR earns an amount of points or official money, when combined with points or money earned in official money World Golf Championship events in the prior season (collectively "combined money"), that equals or exceeds the amount of points or official money earned by the player finishing in the 125th position on the previous season’s FedExCup Points List or Offiical PGA TOUR Money List(e.g., through sponsor exemptions, foreign player exemptions, open qualifying, sectional qualifying, etc.), then he shall be eligible to compete in PGA TOUR tournaments for the following season, as provided in Section A-1d of this Article III ("Top 125 Nonmember"), provided that he joins the PGA TOUR as a Regular Member within 10 days after the conclusion of the FedExCup Season.

Again, notice the underlined portion above... MONEY OR FEDEX points...

The above is also supported by another paragraph earlier in the manual on page 103 (III/A/1/d):

Top 125-Nonmembers
If not otherwise exempt under Section A.1.a to Section A.1.c of this Article III, those nonmembers and Special Temporary Members in the previous season whose points on the Non-Member FedExCup Points List for the previous season equals or exceeds the amount of FedExCup points earned by the player finishing in 125th position on the previous season’s FedExCup Points List, or whose official money for the previous season and money earned in official money World Golf Championship events in the prior season (collectively “combined money”) equals or exceeds the amount of official money earned by the player finishing in 125th position on the previous season’s Official PGA TOUR Money List following the conclusion of the event immediately preceeding the first FedExCup Playoffs event (Wyndham Championship); provided, however, that points or prize money earned by a nonmember or Special Temporary Member in an official money World Golf Championship event will be deemed not to be official points or money and will not be included on the FedExCup Points List or Official PGA TOUR Money List and further provided that such player joined the PGA TOUR in accordance with Section A.1.e of Article IX of these Regulations (i.e. within 10 days after the conclusion of the previous FedExCup Season (August 27, 2014)). If more than one player is included in this category, players with the greater amount of combined money shall have priority access to tournaments.

Bottom line: My contact at the Tour verifies what I provided above... but even he was having some potential issues with it all so he's going to take it upstairs and get back with me...   But as for now... it looks like ONE set of rules for STM for guys inside #150 (FE POINTS only) and another set to reach the #125 threshold for full membership the following year (FE Points OR Money)

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 06 Nov 2013, 10:50 pm

Talk about the gift that keeps on giving. The GC's update on Vijay's lawsuit against the Tour and the Tour's action for dismissal:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/lawyer-says-pga-tour-discriminated-against-singh/

I wonder if there's anyone in particular that Veej is referring to with regards to the Tour making "exception after exception after exception"?

The mind boggles . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 06 Nov 2013, 11:20 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Talk about the gift that keeps on giving. The GC's update on Vijay's lawsuit against the Tour and the Tour's action for dismissal:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/lawyer-says-pga-tour-discriminated-against-singh/

I wonder if there's anyone in particular that Veej is referring to with regards to the Tour making "exception after exception after exception"?

The mind boggles . . . . . .
Could be a couple of things...

I couldn't understand why Calc wasn't sanctioned for exactly the same thing either.  Calc admitted to using the exact same product and even participated in a video to promote it until he was told to stop by the Tour.  Why does he get a "stop" and Vijay get's a sanction?  

Also... According to the policy,  the Tour is required to provide notice of sanctions regarding PEDS... but they tests for drugs of abuse (recreational drugs) as well... but they retain the discretion to NOT make public notice of positive tests or sanctions in those cases.  So they could have had several pot violations.. and we'd likely never know.

Again... just guessing.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 07 Nov 2013, 12:18 am

As of 7 pm EST, #30 on the Web-com pecking order (Andrew Loupe) is not in the McGladreys.  #29 (Lee Williams) has a tee time.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:38 am

robo,
I was thinking he might be hoping to fry bigger fish than Calc . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:24 am

There are too many fish bigger than Calc.  (literally of course)

If there are, Finchem is going to need a bigger boat.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:33 am

kwinigolfer wrote:robo,
I was thinking he might be hoping to fry bigger fish than Calc . . . . .
Oh sheesh... you aren't another one of those Grassy Knoll Tiger PED guys are ya?   chin

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:43 am

It seems

VJ admitted taking a banned substance (which IGF-1 is) and therefore triggered a suspension (admitting use is viewed the same as a failed blood test) so the PGA tour could investigate. You have to say that seems a sensible thing to do when one of your players may be in violation of drug rules.

After consulting WADA the pga tour is informed that oral consumption of IGF-1 has no effects. It would have to have been taken intravenously.

After which the PGAT tells VJ he faces no further punishment or suspension.

How would VJ have liked this to play?

VJ: "hey i use a banned substance"

Finchem: "no worries VJ you just keep teeing it up while possibly tanked up on PED's"

Players beaten by VJ: "bummer, that VJ played well. Who am I to worry about competitors on PED's".

No chance VJ.

As for who he can fry, I would suggest only himself at this rate. What an unlikable prat.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:46 am

Veej out with Goosen and Yang in a couple of hours; must be strange playing with someone who's suing your Tour and trying to beat your brains out on the course. Pity he wasn't grouped with Calc . . . . .

Good start from Rickie Fowler in Queensland.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Nov 2013, 1:24 am

And even RotoWorld has retracted his/her understanding of the Barn Rat STM quirk.

103 more FedEx points for him to accumulate but he's piling up exemptions so that might be fairly straightforward to achieve. Good luck to him, but please lose some lbs.

Sea Island also in a fog on Thursday morning and the resultant 1 1/2 hour delay means a few dozen afternoon starters have to conclude their rounds Friday morning.
I've also been in a fog, basically had reconstructive ear surgery today to get rid of a skin cancer that needed a JCB to excavate when I thought a scoop or two with a trowel might do the job. Wear a chapeau, trust me on the sun screen, etc. Ouch.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 08 Nov 2013, 7:58 am

Glad you got it sorted Kwini.
It's something us golfers probably don't pay too much heed to, but it's the thing most likely to affect us, even in the UK.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 08 Nov 2013, 9:48 am

Must admit I've got a big floppy cricketers sun hat I wear in the summer, due to my 'delicate' colouring. Got a chum who burnt off half his ear in vegas after falling asleep in the sun!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Fri 08 Nov 2013, 10:04 am

s_r, the other one that I was told of once when playing with a stranger who had a thing to clean his (golf) ball with is throat cancer is prevalent amongst golfers. We have a bad tendency to clean our ball which has been rolling over all manner of fertilized grass with our thumb which is repeatedly stuck into our mouth to get it wet.

I went straight to the pro shop and bought one of these little towel things that you get wet but can put in your pocket and your pocket stays dry.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 08 Nov 2013, 10:16 am

Bloody hell Kwini. Hope you are ok?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 08 Nov 2013, 10:35 am

MontysMerkin wrote:Must admit I've got a big floppy cricketers sun hat I wear in the summer, due to my 'delicate' colouring. Got a chum who burnt off half his ear in vegas after falling asleep in the sun!
Do you call him Niki Lauda?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Nov 2013, 12:17 pm

In good health here on the West Coast of New England. Just old.

Stupid thing about the whole thing is that I asked three different "experts" to look at it six years ago and they didn't even request a biopsy. And because they thought it was OK, so did I until it clearly wasn't OK. Even then my d1ckhead GP said nothing there.
Which is the last time I ever go to him.

A mess from Rickie Fowler after eagling the Par-4 first hole in Queensland, 3 over the rest of the way; Adam Scott out front.

And it looks like they're back under way in Georgia, at The McGladrey.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 08 Nov 2013, 1:51 pm

Sorry to hear Kwin ... and good luck with the recovery.

To add to two's comments, I was once playing with someone who worked for DuPont (Chemical division). He smoked the occasional cigar but I noted he never put his cigar down on the turf, always on his bag or even a club head cover. He said he knew the potency of the chemicals so many club's use and didn't want to add risk to his cigar smoking risk.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Nov 2013, 1:55 pm

Round 1 almost complete at The McGladrey.
Clarke -1
Knox Even
Davis +1

All at or just shy of the cut-line so mid-60's required for each of them.

Kevin Chappell leading the way early in his second round. Bags of talent and surely close to the top of those likely to get their first Tour win soon.
But is he up to it temperamentally? Like Horschel in that he can turn in to a sulkmeister when his confidence is dented. Keep an eye on him regardless.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 08 Nov 2013, 3:09 pm

I found it strange that the guys who started on #1 yesterday did not start on #10 today (and vice versa) in Turkey.

I know the weather delay yesterday morning messed up the  teetimes but the guys who started on #1 n Thursday should have started on #10 today.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 08 Nov 2013, 4:22 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:And even RotoWorld has retracted his/her understanding of the Barn Rat STM quirk.
Yep... I visited with R.B. on this the other day when you mentioned you had seen it on RotoWorld....

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 08 Nov 2013, 4:23 pm

GPB wrote:I found it strange that the guys who started on #1 yesterday did not start on #10 today (and vice versa) in Turkey.

I know the weather delay yesterday morning messed up the  teetimes but the guys who started on #1 n Thursday should have started on #10 today.
I thought that odd as well.  Can't say as I ever remember seeing that before.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Nov 2013, 4:49 pm

Plenty of scores sky-rocketing this morning with strong, gusty winds replacing benign conditions yesterday.
Scrap previous comments about Team GB; unless things calm down this afternoon, the cut could rise to +1 which will demand just even par in Round 2 for Davis and allow some leeway fror Clarke and Knox.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Nov 2013, 10:54 pm

Done for the day at The McGladrey and we'll see Darren Clarke (T34) and Russell Knox (T58) for the weekend, but Brian Davis will be on his way home unless at least two hapless fellows parachute out of payday territory when they complete their round Saturday.

I love watching golf on this course, seems the sort of track any of us would have a fun time playing. And if the course turns out to be too demanding, the views are just gorgeous.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Nov 2013, 11:13 pm

OK, Fields for the first two Q-School Stage 2 qualies and no Europeans of great significance among the entrants. Some PGA Tour vets are entered however, including Major winners Micheel and Hamilton.

Four more in two weeks, fields for them still to be published.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 09 Nov 2013, 1:04 am

Unexciting field for Mayakoba next week.
Highlight must be Alvaro Quiros teeing it up - tragic really that he's not in Dubai.
Clarke, Davis and Knox batting for Team GB.
Other top players include:
Cabrera
Clark
Harris English
Jacobson
Ryan Moore

All Guy Fawkes' contemporaries missed the McGladrey cut, but another handful are depriving web.commers from a place in the Mexico field.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Sat 09 Nov 2013, 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 09 Nov 2013, 2:24 am

Robo: Check your PMs

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 09 Nov 2013, 12:30 pm

kwini

Just heard a commentator mention that Blixt has taken Euro tour membership. Is he double dipping or giving up PGAT membership?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 09 Nov 2013, 2:04 pm

Blixt is going to play both tours.  I think he has Ryder Cup aspirations.  I heard that Carl Pettersen has rejoined the EuroT for the same reason.

And as of this morning, 13 web-commers are did not get in Mayaborba.  There are going to be 8 or 10 Web-commers that did not get to play in any events before the reshuffle.

Kevin Tway, who is 44th on the pecking order, got into Frys as a Sponsors Invite, is going to move past 5 or 6 players who did not get a start in the reshuffle.

Has anyone been to Turkey?  Where they are playing the tournament?  I looked at it on google maps and I was shocked to see about 15 different golf courses within miles of the Montgomerie course.  For about 15 km, golf course right next to golf course.

I assumed that there would be 2 or 3 golf courses in the resort area not over a dozen.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 09 Nov 2013, 3:00 pm

Yup,
Blixt already has three PGA Tournaments under his belt so, with a spot in the OWGR Top 50, he'll be well placed to play most of the Majors and WGC's.
Pettersson has a much tougher route, starting as he is at #76 in the rankings. Can't see it meself.

Brian Davis on his bike, but DC and Russell Knox make the cut - and so does Robert Karlsson. With no PGA Tour status, Karlsson's starts will be few and far between and the least (and that's asking a lot) he needs this week is a top ten finish and a spot in the Mayakoba field.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 09 Nov 2013, 9:34 pm

More news on Simon Dyson

http://golfweek.com/news/2013/nov/09/simon-dyson-european-tour-fate-rests-3-man-panel-/

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 09 Nov 2013, 10:26 pm

thumbsup 
Thanks GPB, hadn't heard about the Portugal problem before.

Not a nice situation for anyone; Dyson always seems a popular figure on the E.T. and he's played well on occasion over here. It would be an indelible black mark if he is disciplined.

Meanwhile, loved the afternoon's play at The McGladrey - conditions supposed to be similar to today's so can't see any Gainey-like 60's out there. Lots of good stories among the leaders but of those who are infrequent winners, I'm most interested in Chris Kirk. Local boy, incredibly consistent money-winner but seldom in contention. Big test Sunday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 09 Nov 2013, 10:59 pm

Kwinigolfer wrote:I'm most interested in Chris Kirk. Local boy, incredibly consistent money-winner but seldom in contention. Big test Sunday.
Exactly the kind of the player you would expect to have a higher Sagarin ranking than OWGR ranking.

And checking Sagarin's ranking, he has Chris Kirk at #25 while OWGR has him ranked close to #100.

Oh, and I picked Kirk in Golf Channel's Fantasy league.

If he should happen to win, I wonder what superficial feature the 606v2 minions will be snarky about.

He does not have 9 chins.
I don't think he is a god-botherer
He is fit and trim.
My girlfriend thinks he good-looking
He doesn't appear to be a slow player.

I am sure they will find something.

But truthfully, I am rooting for Kevin Stadler.  I would like to see Craig announce the 2014 Masters as his last one, and I think it would happen if Kevin qualifies.  AFAIK, they would be the first father/son to play in the same Masters.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 09 Nov 2013, 11:12 pm

Not much to snark on Chris Kirk about, I should think.

But that's a good shout on the Stadlers, that would be a great story.

As for golfing fathers and sons, Butch Baird made his Senior Tour debut at the first Seniors Tour event I attended, which must make him about 77 - and his son with a really silly name (sounds more like a ham) is looking to extend his lead over Brian Davis in the most-money-won-without-a-win stakes. Or not, of course, if he should bring it home tomorrow.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 09 Nov 2013, 11:53 pm

GPB - He's a Yank. That ought to be enough for plenty of the minions.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:37 am

Not at all Shotrock, GPB,
You have a monopoly on so many things but certainly not quirky golfers . . . . . . !

Though I did watch the interview with Kevin Stadler with a thought to how super_realist might match him up with Shane Lowry or Alfie Barnrat . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun 10 Nov 2013, 1:51 am

GPB wrote:Has anyone been to Turkey?  Where they are playing the tournament?  I looked at it on google maps and I was shocked to see about 15 different golf courses within miles of the Montgomerie course.  For about 15 km, golf course right next to golf course.

I assumed that there would be 2 or 3 golf courses in the resort area not over a dozen.
I have been fortunate enough to have had 3 golfing holidays to Turkey GPB and have played the Montgomerie course twice. As you say there are a number of courses in close proximity in the Belek area and in addition to the Montgomerie I have played the National, Faldo, Carya, Tat, Gloria (old course and new) and Kaya Eagles. All the courses are good layouts and decent tests of golf and the natural sandy belt that runs through the area means that the fairways and greens are always in good condition and the cheap labour there means that there is plenty of greens staff employed to keep the courses well manicured and well presented.

Most of the hotels are stretched along the beach front and are of high quality. We have always stayed on an all-inclusive basis which has been outstanding value for money. All in all it is one of my favourite places for a golfing holiday and I thoroughly recommend it.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Nov 2013, 6:57 pm

Haven't seen Old Trafford bumpin' like that for a long time.

Altogether more sedate at Sea Island and it's a packed leaderboard - even Tim Clark's mounting a challenge.
Another good round going for Russell Knox, Darren Clarke out of gas, but Robbie Karlsson going well.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 10 Nov 2013, 6:59 pm

Kwini - just catching up. Good luck with the excavation! Had something similar from my head - hat sunscreen shade, are life's essentials!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Nov 2013, 7:07 pm

Thanks puligny, the price of being a sun-lover. And age.

Wonder what you think of this course? I love the look of it!

PS: Nice work by yr buddie Donaldson today . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next