The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Tour Finals Day 5 & 6 thread

+18
Josiah Maiestas
sirfredperry
invisiblecoolers
Henman Bill
kingraf
socal1976
summerblues
Johnyjeep
hawkeye
Silver
carrieg4
naxroy
HM Murdock
laverfan
barrystar
Jahu
LuvSports!
JuliusHMarx
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

World Tour Finals Day 5 & 6 thread - Page 3 Empty World Tour Finals Day 5 & 6 thread

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 08 Nov 2013, 2:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here it is. Don't all post at once.

Last edited by JuliusHMarx on Sat 09 Nov 2013, 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

World Tour Finals Day 5 & 6 thread - Page 3 Empty Re: World Tour Finals Day 5 & 6 thread

Post by Henman Bill Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:29 pm

Del Potro is making too many errors. It's been his match to lose for a while and he's in danger of doing just that. Every set he's been in a winning position and then been broken back.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

World Tour Finals Day 5 & 6 thread - Page 3 Empty Re: World Tour Finals Day 5 & 6 thread

Post by Jahu Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:34 pm

Long live Royal Mail Wink
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:44 pm

5:5 go Fed go
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:48 pm

Yesssssssss
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:48 pm

FEDS BREAKS!!!! GET IN THERE YOU BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:49 pm

If Del Potro loses this I think he can blame a poor match in the middle of the deciding set with too many errors. Didn't quite press home the advantage. Also starting to look slightly fatigued.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:54 pm

What a roller coaster that was if your a Federer fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:55 pm

GET IN THERE YOU BEAUTY!!!!
AAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND IVE KNOCKED MY DRINK OVER WAHOOOOO Very Happy

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:55 pm

World Tour Finals Day 5 & 6 thread - Page 3 3845856932

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:55 pm

Ihaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yesssssssss
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:56 pm

Incredible win from the Old Man. clapclap

Del Potro. rose Well played.

Last edited by laverfan on Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:57 pm

He may say this was a match he should have lost...my analysis is that he started every set too slowly, too many shots into the net. But did well to claw it back.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:59 pm

However...his 100% record against Rafa is under threat here, given his decline and poor form this season, and Rafa's great form all year and in this tournament. In the past Roger's shotmaking on this surface avoided it being the kind of battle Rafa thrives on. It could be different this time. Given Roger's recovery time at his age as well that is another slight disadvantage.

Even when of those 6-3 6-2 type debacle defeats he's had at Indian Wells/Miami could be on the cards. I think this could be the moment he finally gets the better of Roger indoor.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:03 pm

Brilliant. We now to get see Rafa beat Fed up for the umpteenth time while everyone pretends that it still resembles a rivalry in anyway whatsoever.

I can't wait.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:07 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Brilliant. We now to get see Rafa beat Fed up for the umpteenth time while everyone pretends that it still resembles a rivalry in anyway whatsoever.

I can't wait.
Whereas the H2H of Djoko and Stan (14-2) suggests a real humdinger.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:12 pm

Difference is, JHM, we won't be subject to people repeating the mantra that Djokovic v Stan is tennis' dream ticket.

Even though Stan v Novak have produced two matches this year that are better than anything Fedal have done in years.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:12 pm

Laugh 
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:14 pm

Good effort from the FedEx. But he'll probably need double that performance on tired legs or get beaten yet again by his nemesis. Even then he'll then have to take on Novak in the final

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:17 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Difference is, JHM, we won't be subject to people repeating the mantra that Djokovic v Stan is tennis' dream ticket.
You not suggesting that the media practise hyperbole, surely? Smile They'll be saying it's a golden era next, or that you'll never see a better forehand than that in your life (or at least until the next point).

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:20 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Brilliant. We now to get see Rafa beat Fed up for the umpteenth time while everyone pretends that it still resembles a rivalry in anyway whatsoever.

I can't wait.
Do you recall the last Fedal match @WTF? Here is a trip down memory lane - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0r-P64fyxg

It may not be the same as then, but Law of Averages may catch up with Nadal.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:22 pm

Ahh another exhausting match between two of my fav players, I just wonder if Fed can beat this Del Po why can't he beat a Rafa? Headscratch 

When you compare Forehand of Rafa and Del Po, DelPo's has the better one
Del Po got the better backhand as well
Del Po got the better serve as well
Del Po got the better return as well
Rafa might be way stronger mentally but Del Po is not a mental midget either
I guess the main difference is court coverage and error free game of Rafa wins him in the end, Del Po on the other hand is an outright attacking player and do shank some of them like Fed does.

Last but not least Rafa is a Nightmare for Fed in his mind, if he can overcome it then he might succeed in making yet another final.

How wonderful it would be if the 2 Swiss make the finals RedWine 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:24 pm

Observations on Fed-delpo
1. Del po really should have won- a break up in both the second and third sets.
2. Fed still capable of some tremendous tennis
3. Fed liable to chuck in a horror game or two
4. Del Po didn't serve that well
5. Del Po looked really tired at the end. More cheap service points would have saved his legs.
6. Fed will do well to get a set off Rafa tomorrow
7. Regardless of Rafa result, the last few weeks will give Rog lots of confidence going into 2014

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:26 pm

Yes, this Fedal match will probably only add to Nadal's legacy. An indoors victory against Fed!!!! And if not this year..then maybe next!

He'll certainly have to play a darn sight better than he did today if he is to beat Nadal.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:26 pm

Whoah there, JHM, you're shaking the foundations of my tennis watching!

I thought this was a golden era precisely because every match contains the best shot you'll ever see?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:28 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:Ahh another exhausting match between two of my fav players, I just wonder if Fed can beat this Del Po why can't he beat a Rafa? Headscratch 

When you compare Forehand of Rafa and Del Po, DelPo's has the better one
Del Po got the better backhand as well
Del Po got the better serve as well
Del Po got the better return as well
Rafa might be way stronger mentally but Del Po is not a mental midget either
I guess the main difference is court coverage and error free game of Rafa wins him in the end, Del Po on the other hand is an outright attacking player and do shank some of them like Fed does.

Last but not least Rafa is a Nightmare for Fed in his mind, if he can overcome it then he might succeed in making yet another final.

How wonderful it would be if the 2 Swiss make the finals RedWine 
Top spin left-hand forehand to right-handed SHBH, coupled with more stamina and patience. As Rafa says - if I have to hit the ball to his backhand 15 times, then I will. The equation has always been fairly simple.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:30 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Whoah there, JHM, you're shaking the foundations of my tennis watching!

I thought this was a golden era precisely because every match contains the best shot you'll ever see?
Have you EVER seen ANYTHING like that? copyright Mark Petchey (or is it Barry Cowan?)
Well, yes, I saw it last week and the week before, when you coincidentally said the exact same sentence.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:31 pm

On their best surfaces, Nadal has lost to Federer multiple times on clay, and should have lost a few more but as we know clay has no Hawkeye. On indoor HC Nadal has never beaten Federer.

Keep it going Fed Laugh 
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:35 pm

Ok soo if nadal does beat the steam train Tonoz does that mean the wtf doesn't matter anymore. Aaaaand run away

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:37 pm

falzy21 wrote:Ok soo if nadal does beat the steam train Tonoz does that mean the wtf doesn't matter anymore.    Aaaaand run away
Or if Rafa wins the WTF does it mean that it's the first time he taken it seriously? Aaaaand run away

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:41 pm

We are a Novak brain fart away from this tournament fizzling out.

A Rafa v Fed semi followed by a Rafa v Stan final will be predictable in the extreme.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:45 pm

I agree Murdoch, can't see Stan providing a competitive match in the final and I highly doubt that Roger will do much against Nadal either. Is there a more overrated non-rivalry post 2009 than the Fed v. Rafa rivalry? It is slightly more competitive than the rivalry of Grenada's armed forces with United States Marine Corp.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:55 pm

The only was Federer v Nadal is a close rivalry is in who earns most money for Nike.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:56 pm

@HM/SoCal…

Berdych took a set off of Nadal 6-1, so Nadal is vulnerable as well. Wawrinka played a two TB set, at least one of which he should have won, but he did not.

It makes no difference if Fedal is a rivalry or a non-rivlary. Let us see how badly Federer wants this, or Nadal can continue in the rich vein that he has done in all of 2013.

After a 3-setter, Del Potro may not have provided much resistance against Nadal either.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:56 pm

I have to be honest guys, I know you are all saying tomorrow will be very predictable. But I think its the best possible end to the season we could hope for!

Wawrinka and Djokovic have given us two excellent matches this season. Wawrinka can match Djokovic when they both play at their peak. Not many can say that.

And Roger and Rafa, because it is not on clay, stands half a chance of being a good match.

I think it's about as 'Blockbuster' as it can get.

Would the alternatives have been any better? I'm looking forward to it.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 09 Nov 2013, 6:01 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:The only was Federer v Nadal is a close rivalry is in who earns most money for Nike.
I believe Fed is way out in front there.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 09 Nov 2013, 6:03 pm

JJ, Stan v Novak could be good. Stan seems up for this tournament ad Novak is looking a bit vulnerable.

I'm actually dreading Fed v Rafa. It could be a mauling and I get no pleasure from seeing Fed fight his toughest opponent whilst also fighting the passage of time.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 09 Nov 2013, 6:05 pm

Well let's hope that the semis are at least competitive.

We need Stan to reproduce some of the magic from his hard-fought encounters vs Novak earlier this year, pushing him all the way in that heart-breaker loss in Melbourne, and then coming close again at the USO.

OAP Fed will be worn out by tomorrow, and Rafa should have little difficulty in avenging the bakery products served up to him by the old man here, including a bagel a couple of years ago and a deciding set breadstick in their 2010 Final......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 09 Nov 2013, 6:07 pm

If Federer v Nadal will not be a Tennis match, can we have a public debate at O2 regarding - http://tennis.si.com/2013/11/05/roger-federer-rafael-nadal-atp-world-tour-finals/

Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 09 Nov 2013, 6:14 pm

laverfan wrote:If Federer v Nadal will not be a Tennis match, can we have a public debate at O2 regarding - http://tennis.si.com/2013/11/05/roger-federer-rafael-nadal-atp-world-tour-finals/

Laugh
That would be great!

"Rafa, why are all the causes you fight 'for the next generation' things that would benefit you personally?"

Toni could shout the answers from the sideline....Run 

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Sat 09 Nov 2013, 6:18 pm

Just out of curiosity, and it's a big if, if Gasquet wins 2-0 tonight does Djokovic top the group in spite of having a poorer set difference because he beat Fed in the H2H.

Obv that must be the case tbf considering the semi finals line up is already announced!

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 09 Nov 2013, 6:42 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:JJ, Stan v Novak could be good. Stan seems up for this tournament ad Novak is looking a bit vulnerable.

I'm actually dreading Fed v Rafa. It could be a mauling and I get no pleasure from seeing Fed fight his toughest opponent whilst also fighting the passage of time.
I love watching Federer lose, I feel like Luke Skywalker after he blows up the death star when the Swoosh wearing pomposity shakes hands with the umpire first, I guess you and I will agree to differ on that point. That is why I hope he plays till he is 40. I think Stan actually stands a good chance of beating Novak despite the 14-2 record in favor of Djokovic, I agree with you on that point. Stan has played pretty well this tournament and this is best season ever. Plus Novak has had so many close escapes lately against Stan that you just feel like the odds might catch up against Novak.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 09 Nov 2013, 7:05 pm

I can't wait.
Doesn't really matter in many ways, HM. It's more about the points that they can (and do) frequently construct. Even when the outcome is usually predictable, there's usually some pretty scintillating points in there.

That said, Fed is definitely getting his doors blown off tomorrow! I'm going 6-2, 6-2. Less recovery + poor consistency + Rafa form = goodbye to Federer's chances. Still, he's done well to even get through the group given his form this year, and it was a belter of a match today to watch.

socal1976 wrote:I love watching Federer lose, I feel like Luke Skywalker after he blows up the death star when the Swoosh wearing pomposity shakes hands with the umpire first,
I don't agree, but I love it Laugh this forum has missed you, socal!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Nov 2013, 7:07 pm

It's the underdog mentality. Fed was soo dominant that it was in a way exciting to see him lose. It's especially poignant with nadal as it was a bit like Rocky. The man who was all heart beating the technically superior more gifted champion . Though it may be more like rocky 4 Tomoz than Rocky 1 with fed having to make up the difference

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 09 Nov 2013, 7:18 pm

Thanks Silver, like I said to Murdoch you are one of the reasons I came back, always love to talk tennis. Despite your affinity for The Rog we have always had fun together, that is certainly down to your forgiving nature because I do go out of my way to put the old arsse pincher on Federer and his fans at times.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 09 Nov 2013, 7:32 pm

socal1976 wrote:Thanks Silver, like I said to Murdoch you are one of the reasons I came back, always love to talk tennis. Despite your affinity for The Rog we have always had fun together, that is certainly down to your forgiving nature because I do go out of my way to put the old arsse pincher on Federer and his fans at times.
I thought Rafa was the arsse pincher?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Nov 2013, 7:34 pm

Boris hasn't got trainers on tonight! Thank lord

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 09 Nov 2013, 7:38 pm

No I think he is more like Arsse digger, sometimes I fear for him and think he might get his hand stuck in there and require an MTO for one of the trainers to provide an emergency Richard Gere style procedure on him. I certainly wouldn't want to be the trainer called on for that injury, he should require combat pay for that.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 09 Nov 2013, 7:41 pm

falzy21 wrote:It's the underdog mentality. Fed was soo dominant that it was in a way exciting to see him lose. It's especially poignant with nadal as it was a bit like Rocky. The man who was all heart beating the technically superior more gifted champion . Though it may be more like rocky 4 Tomoz than Rocky 1 with fed having to make up the difference
I got tired of seeing him win so much and with Djokovic being my favorite player I loathed his nasty commentary and haughty attitude towards Djokovic. He has also in fairness dished out some painful defeats that still sting as a Djoko fan. And unlike a lot of people I don't feel sorry for him when he loses one bit. No question he is a good guy overall and a great champion but I just don't warm to him at all.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 09 Nov 2013, 8:10 pm

Novak up a break on Richie G. Love watching both guys although this is basically a dead rubber.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 09 Nov 2013, 8:46 pm

So Fed-Nadal tomorrow at 2pm. Could of given him the evening slot, let him relax a little.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next