The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer-4 Nadal-0 At The WTF

+7
Johnyjeep
Haddie-nuff
laverfan
sirfredperry
Danny_1982
summerblues
hawkeye
11 posters

Go down

Who Will?

Federer-4 Nadal-0 At The WTF  Vote_lcap20%Federer-4 Nadal-0 At The WTF  Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]
Federer-4 Nadal-0 At The WTF  Vote_lcap80%Federer-4 Nadal-0 At The WTF  Vote_rcap 80% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 10

Federer-4 Nadal-0 At The WTF  Empty Federer-4 Nadal-0 At The WTF

Post by hawkeye Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:43 am

Federer and Nadal are due to meet for the 5th time at the WTF (previously known as the Masters Cup). It's always played indoors on hardcourts a surface that particularly suits Federer's game. Not surprisingly he leads this particular H2H 4-0.

Federer won -

6-3 6-0 in the SF in 2011
6-3, 3-6, 6-1 in the final 2010
6-4, 6-1 in the SF in 2007
6-4,7-5 in the SF in 2006

Despite qualifying Nadal missed the WTF in 2008 and 2012 (and I think in 2005 too?). So they have faced each other about as often as they could have at this particular tournament. The only time Nadal got a set was the one final they played in 2010. Apart from that final the matches haven't even been close. Who will win tomorrow? I'm sure many will vote for Nadal as Federer is now old and past his best? But remember Federer was old and past his best in 2011 too and that didn't stop him crushing Nadal with a bagel.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Federer-4 Nadal-0 At The WTF  Empty Re: Federer-4 Nadal-0 At The WTF

Post by summerblues Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:58 am

Nadal this time around.  He is playing about as well as he has ever played on HC and Roger is not.  Federer had a pretty good Fall campaign in 2011, not so this year (even though he seems to be improving relative to the rest of his year).

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Yeah Roger is the massive underdog here. Yes the surface means that Rafa won't be able to get as many high balls to the backhand, but he's still moving better and making less errors.

Nadal in 2 sets for me. I hope Roger can make it close, but I think we're destined for a Rafa v Novak final.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Have gone for a Rafa win. Strange paradox. This is Fed's best chance of getting a win over Rafa,  but it's also Rafa's best chance of getting an indoor WTF victory over Rog.
  Got to a point with me, and possibly with a number of Fed fans, that I'd rather see him play and lose than not be out there at all. Even in his defeats, he can still play some jaw-dropping tennis. I really enjoyed his match with del Po yesterday. Yes, there were some bad moments (a couple of service losses were particularly horrible) but there was some terrific stuff as well.
  These late-season wins will give Fed confidence going into 2014. He's had three top-10 victories after not having any since beating JWT in JANUARY ! Points are a great help, too. They'll keep him up near the top for the beginning of next year. Last thing he would have wanted to be outside top 8 for the AO.
  For a "normal" 32 year old we'd be reflecting on a very good season. Top 6, 45 wins etc etc. But Fed aint had a normal career.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:43 pm

I have no idea who is going to win. I understand why many put Nadal as the favorite but Federer has been playing well and he just gets that glint in his eye when he sees Rafa at the other side of the net. Hope they both manage to play well as there is just something very special about two all time greats facing each other across the net. They have played so often and know each others games so well sometimes you get a game of pure(ish) cat and mouse tactics that is rare. I reckon some are too cynical and or partisan to be able to see just how special this match up is Sad 

Ticket sales show this. There are very few tickets left for the Fed/Nadal semi. The cheapest pair of tickets right at the top will cost £250 each and there is just one pair left. The best seats are going for as much as £2000! In contrast loads of tickets available for the other semi starting at around £40. Lots of finals tickets available too starting at around £80

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:12 pm

@HE… If you have tickets, I am very envious. The prices you quote are prices for nostalgia, to some extent. Think of an antique, or a painting, or a vintage car. Value lies in the eyes of the beholder. You are being naughty comparing ticket prices between the two fixtures. warning warning 

As SFP points out, the Old Man can still teach a few lessons to the youn'guns.

BTW, Raonic was in the ATP commentary box yesterday with Goodall/Koenig. I suggest you listen to him, if you can find this version of the match. US spectators probably would have heard it.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:16 pm

Well whoever wins I cant remember a match when these two have not produced the magic... a nail biter. The match that I think every tennis fan was hoping for. They have always managed to bring out the best in each other.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:27 pm

I really like Raonic's commentary. Also, he comes across as a pretty mature and thoughtful guy; I was quite impressed with him.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Unfortunately, this is a very different Federer to those previous years. While yesterdays game was close and exciting the quality wasn't off the scale. There were moments yes, but generally Del Potro didn't really play anywhere near what he can. And Federer only got vaguely going when his arm was twisted by being hopeless.

Federer really will have to dial up the quality to beat RN today.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Im not so confident .. I think it might not be such a walk in the park for Rafa as you might think. I hope your right however

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:45 pm

I have to re-assess my opinion of One Direction. Their ticket prices are the same as Bruce Springsteen's. This must mean they are as good.

Not as good as Robson and Jerome though, who have spent 13 weeks at number 1.

I read that in the UK's best-selling (and therefore best) newspaper, The Sun.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Laver Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:18 am

Danny_1982 wrote:Yeah Roger is the massive underdog here. Yes the surface means that Rafa won't be able to get as many high balls to the backhand, but he's still moving better and making less errors.

Nadal in 2 sets for me. I hope Roger can make it close, but I think we're destined for a Rafa v Novak final.

This surface is playing slower than Shanghai, so well..... but yeah, Roger would prefer this over Miami, Indian Wells and Australian Open for sure.

I agree with you on the picks. I had called a Nole-Rafa final in my pre-tournament preview and I am sticking with it!

Roger Laver

http://sportzcosmos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:24 am

laverfan wrote:@HE… If you have tickets, I am very envious. The prices you quote are prices for nostalgia, to some extent. Think of an antique, or a painting, or a vintage car. Value lies in the eyes of the beholder. You are being naughty comparing ticket prices between the two fixtures. warning warning 

Why is it naughty to point out that many are prepared to pay a high price to see this particular match up. Call it nostalgia if you want but they do so because they have seen them play before and want to witness it for themselves. Similar reasons to why anyone pays to watch any tennis player or indeed Springsteen or One Direction. Or the reasons why you might be envious of anyone who has tickets (sadly you don't have to be envious of me...) Did you see my message to you about tea on another thread?

Haddie-nuff. Agree with everything you've said! HM Murdoch. Popularity doesn't mean something is bad.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:55 am

Just checked and there are only 14 tickets left for the Federer/Nadal match and only 4 "pairs" of tickets.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:57 am

Just checked again and only 7 tickets remain and only one "pair".

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:01 am

It's sold out!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:05 am

"You don't get anything for a pair."
"Not in this game!"

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:06 am

ALLEZ FEDS, LETS MAKE IT 5 - 0 HERE! Very Happy

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:47 am

So far kind of expected.  Fed actually playing mostly reasonably well, but not well enough to have a real shot.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:51 am

Wow.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:04 am

hawkeye wrote:Why is it naughty....
It is not really naughty but I suspect LF is just adopting your terminology.  When something gets posted that is technically correct but where you have the view it is posted with ulterior motives to distort the true picture, you often call it "naughty".  In that context, sure, what you posted was "naughty".

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:14 am

I bet everyone who paid £250+ was thrilled by that epic.

It finished so early, BBC2 has had to put a gardening programme on to fill the schedule!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down