The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Ferrer in No.3

+4
banbrotam
lydian
sirfredperry
invisiblecoolers
8 posters

Go down

David Ferrer in No.3 Empty David Ferrer in No.3

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 12 Nov 2013, 2:29 am

Just Noticed the rankings page and David Ferrer is listed as the World's no.3 player Very Happy , given the opposition he had/has in this forum I guess its worth to discuss the success of him and the era. censored 

Last but not least Del Po is not far behind in getting his career high ranking of 3 [1 better than his actual best] if he somehow scores 600-700 points extra in the upcoming year.

my last topic of this year so Wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2014.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

David Ferrer in No.3 Empty Re: David Ferrer in No.3

Post by sirfredperry Tue 12 Nov 2013, 4:21 am

Festive greetings to you, too. Ferrer would actually be well clear at number three if he had not lost seven consecutive finals. Another incredible year for the Duracell bunny but methinks his battery could finally run flat in 2014.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 12 Nov 2013, 4:54 am

I'd agree with that, he has to keep himself insanely fit to do what he does...can he do it for another year, and stay injury free? Unlikely. However, do we have any great new players coming along....
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 12 Nov 2013, 4:54 am

With Del Boy's eary(ish) 2013 exit, Andy will probably have to win the Aus Open, just to stay at No.4

I actually think Ferrer, will quickly end up at No.5, i.e by March

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 12 Nov 2013, 4:58 am

I see him between 8-10 by year end with Berdy, Murray, DP, Tsonga infront. Maybe even Federer. Possibly Raonic too...plus one new guy into top 10...Dimitrov?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 12 Nov 2013, 5:26 am

Ferrer has had his two best ever years - a Masters 1000, a Slam Final, 10 titles, he's really got nothing left to prove to anyone. He must know he'll never get through the big 3 (4?) to win a tournament that really matters.

It's difficult to see what there is left to motivate him and keep his crazy running going at his age - I agree with Lydian that he'll face a descent from his peak from now on.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 12 Nov 2013, 6:32 am

Can't complain about his spirit. There was a moment in his match with Stan in London when, already a double break down and right out of it, he chased down a lob as if his life depended on it.
Here is a guy competing against taller, bigger hitting machines, who has got every ounce out of his body and worked his socks off. Wholly admirable.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 12 Nov 2013, 6:38 am

One thing I learned about Ferrer is that in the mid 2000s he was one of the few if only players who smoked cigarettes I am sure quitting smoking has impacted his results greatly. Also he obviously is not the 3rd best player Murray has not played for months now and Del Po in my mind if he played as much as Ferrer would knock him out of that spot, but physically it is probably not likely he could manage that kind of schedule. I don't know about Berdy displacing ferrer, Ferrer always seems t beat him. But I can see Del Po certainly out doing Ferrer.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Tue 12 Nov 2013, 8:28 am

I wonder what YE ranking 5800 points would normally get you. I recall in 2011, Murray had a slam final plus 3 semi finals, 2 masters titles, plus several 500/250 titles and still finished fourth.

I don't think he's been as solid over the whole year as he was in 2011 & 2012 but he's done enough to finish third, which is a big acheivement for him. I think he'll slip back a little but can still see him finishing top 8 next year.-

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 12 Nov 2013, 8:32 am

There are many stories about Ferrer, including being a construction worker, locked in a dark room when refusing practice, etc. He is an epitome of hard work and an amazing athlete.

He has wins against Djokovic, Murray and Nadal. He is yet to win against Federer (who is also close to his age), but he may be able to, in the near future.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 12 Nov 2013, 11:12 am

laverfan wrote: He has wins against Djokovic, Murray and Nadal. He is yet to win against Federer (who is also close to his age), but he may be able to, in the near future.
He's never beaten any of them in a final or a match which was a particularly significant one for them unless it was on a surface which slightly favoured him (e.g. vs. Murray at RG and vs. Nadal at Aus Open).

It's not to belittle him - his achievements have been superb, but his stock in trade is consistently achieving a level which is good enough to beat most players but hardly ever enough to beat the top 4 when it really counts, which will keep him out of the big prizes along with most of the players from Nos. 5-10 during the last few years.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down