The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OWGR Week 46

+11
SmithersJones
Shotrock
mystiroakey
1GrumpyGolfer
raycastleunited
super_realist
GPB
McLaren
pedro
kwinigolfer
robopz
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

OWGR Week 46 Empty OWGR Week 46

Post by robopz Wed 13 Nov 2013, 6:10 pm

Looks like the DP World Tour Championship will be worth OWGR 54 (lowest ever) if Oosty makes the start... 52 if he doesn't.   Compare to 58 the last 3 years and 56 in 2009.    Garcia, Els and Schwartzel would have brought it up to a 56 (with Oosty and with or without injured Noren)

robopz

Back to top Go down

OWGR Week 46 Empty Re: OWGR Week 46

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 13 Nov 2013, 6:44 pm

Cheers robo, Disappointing, and hope that O'Grady sees it that way too - an indictment on him in my eyes.
Imagine Mayakoba will be about 24 or 26, Australia too probably.

I see Chopra is playing the "Manila Masters" - hope it doesn't rain.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 13 Nov 2013, 7:11 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Cheers robo, Disappointing, and hope that O'Grady sees it that way too - an indictment on him in my eyes.
Imagine Mayakoba will be about 24 or 26, Australia too probably.

I see Chopra is playing the "Manila Masters" - hope it doesn't rain.
Kind of surprised to see Manila Masters still scheduled as a go...   And speaking of rain... Timmy... let me "splain" something to you... November in Riviera Maya = rainy season.  Shouldn't get more than 6" over the next few days though... so it shouldn't be "too" bad...  (and I'm not saying that entirely in jest... they can get 3 inches in 2 hours down there and it drains right through the coral or into the mangroves in no time. Golf courses down there are almost NEVER out of play because of standing water... you just can't flood 'em unless they get overrun by tides in a hurricane or something)

As for O'Grady on the playoff requirements...  Not sure I disagree with the ET on this one. This new schedule and "must play 2" requirement was known more than a year out...  You have the ET setting up a series with 4 HUGE purses (by any tour's standards) and I understand sponsors putting up that kind of scratch wanting something for their money.  Seems to me if you're going to dual tour... then you have an obligation to BOTH.  IMO this was a case where  Garcia, Els and Schwartzel could have "bucked up" and found a way to play to demonstrate some badly needed support to the good 'ole ET.   Sergio and Ernie could have played the BMW instead of the CIMB... and Charl could have added one... and IMO SHOULD have.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 13 Nov 2013, 7:29 pm

Els is a honorary (life) member of the ET. Not sure he feels "honoured" though... What do you owe CIMB?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 13 Nov 2013, 7:43 pm

No, wasn't blaming O'Grady for the 2 out of 3 tournaments snafu. Ernie and Charl made their own bed there and it just doesn't seem an important event to Sergio - not sure why not.
O'Grady certainly needs to get the players on board for next year however.

But the degradation of points-to-play-for on the E.T. is certainly right at his door and there are several qualifiers for Dubai who'd have higher rankings with more, and richer, European Tour events.

When we have a Madrid company offering sponsorship of an event in Mexico that the E.T. would kill for, you know for sure there's a problem of Bivins-esque proprtions.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 13 Nov 2013, 8:42 pm

OHL is a €4B comany. Mexico/US might be an important market.

But it's interesting to see that no American companies sponsor ET events, while plenty of European companies sponsor PGATour events.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 13 Nov 2013, 10:04 pm

pedro wrote:OHL is a €4B comany. Mexico/US might be an important market.

But it's interesting to see that no American companies sponsor ET events, while plenty of European companies sponsor PGATour events.
What American company might you suggest?  I realize the U.S. must have many mufti-nationals doing business in Europe... but not sure which ones would see value in a Golf Sponsorship in Europe.  Seems to me that most any American company that has any meaningful success in Europe ends up drawing the ire of somebody over there.... Microsoft, Google, Intel, Merck, Apple, News Corp.... etc... etc...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 13 Nov 2013, 10:55 pm

robo, half of the companies on your list draw the ire of many Americans as well. And it's not because they're American but because of the nature of their business.

Don't tell me there aren't US companies with strong interests and success in Europe. But why they don't see value in ET sponsorships is the question. I could imagine it's down to the commercial "package" offered by the ET, combined with an unfavorable investment/taxation climate. Or maybe there just isn't tradition for it. But I'm not 100%.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 13 Nov 2013, 11:38 pm

Dont most Americans think Europe is in Paris. Which in turn is the capital of London?

The tour championship was only a 60 point event.

On the pga tour there are 10 events (non major and wgc) with better OWGR ratings than the coca cola season finale.

Whereas the DP world tour champs are the equal second highest OWGR offering on the european tour this year. The Abu Dhabi event was also 54, and the falsely inflated BMW PGA was 64.

So as much as it is the norm to bash the running of the european tour it would seem the field strength for the DP is better than we would normally expect on the european tour. Unlike the coca cola which is pretty poor by top PGAT standards.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 14 Nov 2013, 12:29 am

McLaren wrote:The tour championship was only a 60 point event.
Only? 

The sole "only" was that it ONLY had 30 players.

If the Tour Championship took the top 60 players, er I mean the top 56 players in the FE Point list, it would have been closer to OWGR 64.  It would have picked up Rory, Ernie, GMac, Bubba, Rickie, and Poulter among others well inside the OWGR top 50.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Nov 2013, 12:49 am

So?

If you want a better tournament then add more players.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:16 am

pedro wrote:Don't tell me there aren't US companies with strong interests and success in Europe. But why they don't see value in ET sponsorships is the question. I could imagine it's down to the commercial "package" offered by the ET, combined with an unfavorable investment/taxation climate. Or maybe there just isn't tradition for it. But I'm not 100%.
I'm not trying to tell you anything, because I don't know. I don't have much insight on what companies are active in Europe in a way that anyone might think would make them good candidates for title sponsorships on the Euro Tour.... that's why I was asking.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:25 am

McLaren wrote:Dont most Americans think Europe is in Paris.  Which in turn is the capital of London?

The tour championship was only a 60 point event.

On the pga tour there are 10 events (non major and wgc) with better OWGR ratings than the coca cola season finale.

Whereas the DP world tour champs are the equal second highest OWGR offering on the european tour this year.  The Abu Dhabi event was also 54, and the falsely inflated BMW PGA was 64.

So as much as it is the norm to bash the running of the european tour it would seem the field strength for the DP is better than we would normally expect on the european tour.  Unlike the coca cola which is pretty poor by top PGAT standards.
Wait... so are you saying Paris isn't the capital of London?.... sheesh....  who knew?  

And by the way... my posting of the OWGR estimate for Dubai wasn't intended to be in any way derisive to the ET or the event or to cast either in a negative light against any PGAT or other events.... just stating the numbers. I'm not the one with the anti-ET bent...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:32 am

This is an old article ( http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eejk45kmil/biggest-sp-500-companies-with-european-exposure-and-weak-balance-sheets/ )listing US companies with large exposure in Europe. So I assume all of them would want to do well in europe and would need some marketing to do so.

Listed are

Ford
McDonalds
Phillip Morris (for obvious reasons they cant advertise)
coca cola
News Corp
General electric
Dow chemicals
Abbott Laboratories
Kraft
Du pont
Honwywell

I dont think any of them sponsor an event on the European tour but I am not sure any of them support any PGAT events other than coca cola and maybe raft on the LPGA?

Maybe subsidiaries do but I am not sure.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:01 am

I bet you wish I had made it up

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:07 am

McLaren wrote:This is an old article ( http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eejk45kmil/biggest-sp-500-companies-with-european-exposure-and-weak-balance-sheets/ )listing US companies with large exposure in Europe.  So I assume all of them would want to do well in europe and would need some marketing to do so.

Listed are

Ford
McDonalds
Phillip Morris (for obvious reasons they cant advertise)
coca cola
News Corp
General electric
Dow chemicals
Abbott Laboratories
Kraft
Du pont
Honwywell

I dont think any of them sponsor an event on the European tour but I am not sure any of them support any PGAT events other than coca cola and maybe raft on the LPGA?

Maybe subsidiaries do but I am not sure.  
Thanks for the post... Like I said before... I didn't know.   If I had to guess... Ford would be the most logical for a potential sponsorship over there... Reads like they're enjoying better sales increases in Europe than in the states.  Not sure that Ford thinks golf is a good "vehicle" for their message though. As they've yet to re-join the the PGA Tour.   But if those sales increases are due to luxury models... who knows? EDIT: But reading further it appears Ford's UK success is based more on it's economy models... not sure if that would make a golf title sponsorship worthwhile....

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:44 am

McLaren wrote:So?

If you want a better tournament then add more players.
Sew Buttons!!

I agree with adding more players, but you were comparing Apples and Oranges.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:46 am

McLaren wrote:I bet you wish I had made it up

When I was young lad, I once went cherry picking.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:49 am

I wonder how many Europeans get a free education (or at least discounted) courtesy of athletic scholarships at US Universities?

Its considerable.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:27 am

GPB wrote:I wonder how many Europeans get a free education (or at least discounted) courtesy of athletic scholarships at US Universities?

Its considerable.
Nowhere near as many as there are Europeans getting a free education in Europe.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:46 am

The OHL thing is still ironic.

Think I've told the story before but I once worked for a huge motor dealership group in Birmingham owned by an American who parlayed his wealth in to a directorship at Aston Villa.
He insisted that IBM (where I also worked) deliver all the mainframes in our computer room in claret and blue!
Which I thought was GREAT!!!!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:59 am

There is a lot of Mexican and south american money in F1 at the moment.

At least the following;

Perez (who just lost his mac seat)
Maldanado (left williams and has presumably taken his Venezuelan oil money as well)
Massa (Joined williams)
Gutiérrez

Carry some sponsorship from the region. I guess the point is that when companies are willing to pay 10-20 million for one driver of the "correct" nationality to race in f1 and won't even stump up a couple of million for a golf event. It shows that golf might not be perceived as a great way of spending advertising budget.

Just look at the tiger appearance fee situation, it would seem having tiger is better - in terms of bang for buck - than holding an event with a bunch of also rans. It would be possible to boost the total prize fund for an event instead of just giving it to tiger. You would get a better overall field but probably without tiger.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Nov 2013, 7:58 am

McLaren wrote:
GPB wrote:I wonder how many Europeans get a free education (or at least discounted) courtesy of athletic scholarships at US Universities?

Its considerable.
I considered doing another Masters in Norway or Denmark because they give EVERYONE free education, providing you have the funds to support your living expenses.
Not sure why more Brits don't go over there instead of building up a mound of debt here.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 14 Nov 2013, 11:10 am

kwinigolfer wrote:
He insisted that IBM (where I also worked) deliver all the mainframes in our computer room in claret and blue!
Which I thought was GREAT!!!!!
Never knew you were a Burnley fan Kwini! Run

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 14 Nov 2013, 11:22 am

Volvo is one of the biggest sponsors of the European Tour, sponsoring the matchplay and at least another 2 events around the world. They also sponsor some club level amateur events which link into their tour sponsorship.

I know they have been Chinese owned for the last couple of years, but for a long time they were part of Ford. And to me it feels like they have been sponsoring European golf for years. So there is the only example I could find of American money in european golf

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 14 Nov 2013, 12:13 pm

But if I was Marketing Director of a global company... I certainly would invest in sponsoring a PGA tour event over a European one, even if most of my revenue came in Europe.

The European banks seem to think so: HSBC, Deutsche, Barclays. Shell and BMW also long term sponsors.

Santander have gone down a very different route, focusing on Rory Mac adverts, including the memorable flop shot over his head advert that was filmed at Pinner Hill GC! I don't know if this is just a UK thing, are there Santander / Rory adverts in other countries?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:48 pm

McLaren wrote:

Its considerable.
That is about as relevant as Americans getting a free education in America.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:52 pm

Ray, I've only heard about Rory's adverts for Santander through sites like this but never seen one here in the US.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:55 pm

It turns out 40 of the 48 Category 25 guys (Web.com playoffs) got into Mayakoba (barring a WD and late entry from another).  Number in ( ) in front is the number of events played this fall, including this week.

(0) - Patrick Cantlay - has been out the entire fall with an injury and has not had a start

(3)  - Ryo Ishikawa - Is playing in Japan this week (and last). Played in  Frys, Vegas and the HSBC.

(0) - Daniel Chopra - Played in played in India last week and is playing in Manila this week (Asian Tour). Chopra attempted to Monday qualify for the Frys and Vegas, but didn't make it.  Chopra would have needed to Monday qualify to get into McGladreys... but would have just barely made it into the Mayakoba field as an alternate had he been available.

(0) - Mark Anderson - Has zero starts and attempted Monday qualifying at the Fry's and McGladrey. He did not attempt 4-spotting at Las Vegas or Mayakoba (see note on Mayakoba qualifier below)

(0) - Kevin Foley - Attempted 4-spotting at Las Vegas and McGladrey, but not the Frys or Mayakoba  

(0) - Matt Bettencourt - Attempted 4-spot at Frys and McGladrey, but not Vegas or Mayakoba

(0) - Will Wilcox - Did not attempt to enter the Web.com playoffs or any of the fall events to attend to some unspecified "personal problems".

(0) - Benjamin Alvarado - Has not made a start and has not shown on the entries of any of the Monday 4-spotters.

OTHER PLAYERS WITH 2 OR LESS STARTS

(2) - Joe Durant - got in as alternates for McGladrey and Mayakoba, did not attempt 4-spotting for Frys or Las Vegas

(2) - Andrew Loupe - In this week, but MC at Frys, and attempted 4-spot for both Vegas and McGladrey

(2) - Peter Malnati - in the Frys and Mayakoba and attempted to 4-spot for Vegas and shows as a WD for the 4-spotter for McGladrey

(2) - Bobby Gates - In Frys and OHL - attempted 4-spot for Vegas but not McGladrey

(2) - Bronson La'Cassie - Got in Frys and OHL - attempted 4-spot for Vegas but not McGladrey.

(2) - Jamie Lovemark - Got a sponsor exemption for Frys, and attempted but failed to 4-spot for Vegas and McGladrey. Got in as 1st alt to Mayakoba.

(2) - Wes Roach - Attempted but failed to 4-spot for Fyrs and Vegas, got a SE for McGladrey and got in as 2nd alt for Mayakoba.

(1) - Miguel Angel Carballo - Attempted to 4-spot for Frys and shows as 4-spot WD for both Vegas and McGladrey (which could mean he played but WD'd during play... I'm not sure). He gained a SE for Mayakoba, but might have gotten in as last alternate anyway.

(2) - Jim Renner - Successfully 4-spotted for Frys, tired and failed to 4-spot for Vegas and McGladrey, and got in as the last alternate for Mayakoba.

NOTE: Mayakoba 4-spotter... Probably turned out to be the "easiest" from a strength of field stand point of any the players will see this year... but NONE of the Cat.25 guys event attempted. Sure I can understand that's a long way to travel... but only 5 pros with any serious experience, or name you would likely recognize participated. And 3 of those qualified (Mattiace, Ridings & Petrovic... Adamonis finished 1 shot out and Dickerson 4 shots out). Otherwise the total field was less than 40... and mostly made up of Mexican players... not half who could break 76. (68, 68, 68, 70 qualified w/o a playoff)

HELPS TO HAVE A NAME -  Kevin Tway gained his 3rd sponsor exemption of the year for Mayakoba (Frys, McGladrey the other two).  He also attempted 4-spotting for Vegas but didn't make it.

Last edited by robopz on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added note on Mayakoba 4-spotter)

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:58 pm

Alverado has endured long-term injury problems, dating back to before the WTF's at least.

Agree with all you say there robo, it'll be interesting to see how the Tour addresses this, and the WTF issues.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:00 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:The OHL thing is still ironic.
I'm starting to wonder if it really is... This from the PGA Tour website...

"...OHL employs over 3,400 people there [Mexico] and has built highways, bridges, hotels and hospitals. The tourism complex at Mayakoba, which will eventually include two or three golf courses and six luxury hotels, is OHL's most ambitious hospitality project to date.".

Since this is the "Mayakoba" event after all... if OHL is that involved in hospitality in one compact area... seems like that alone justifies the sponsorship (which by the way is set through 2018)

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:13 pm

It's only "ironic" because this board has been full of blaming European economies, and particularly Spain's, for the decline in quality European Tour events, yet here we are with a Spanish outfit lavishing $6M on a PGA Tour tournament when the only Espana event is the Open De Espana with a purse of 1.5M Euros.

I'm sure this makes perfect sense to George O'Grady but it looks pretty strange from my igloo up here.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:09 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:It's only "ironic" because this board has been full of blaming European economies, and particularly Spain's, for the decline in quality European Tour events, yet here we are with a Spanish outfit lavishing $6M on a PGA Tour tournament when the only Espana event is the Open De Espana with a purse of 1.5M Euros.

I'm sure this makes perfect sense to George O'Grady but it looks pretty strange from my igloo up here.
Hard to know... I just don't know that much about the company.  But if I had to guess... it's likely OHL's subsidiary business interests in Mexico may be of a different mix than in Spain or elsewhere.  Could be nothing more than OHL using Mayakoba as a way to "entertain" all of it's government "partners".  I know they run a lot of toll roads, airports and other such things down there...  

And OHL does much the same thing within Texas.   OHL is self financing and building toll roads around here, specifically Austin and Houston.... so who knows... maybe they should pick up and sponsor the Champions Tour "Legends" event and move it back to Austin where it always belonged... :-)

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 14 Nov 2013, 9:09 pm

robo, your OHL explanation makes sense to me why they would sponsor the Mayakoba event.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:56 pm

Preliminary OWGR estimates... Talisker Masters = 26.... Mayakoba = 24

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Nov 2013, 12:38 pm

McLaren wrote:I bet you wish I had made it up

steam 

but laughing 

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 16 Nov 2013, 3:32 pm

OWGR Scenarios for week 45

As previously mentioned... The DP World Championship will be worth OWGR 54 points to the winner, Talisker Masters 26, Mayakoba 24. Also the Japan Tour Mitsui event will be worth 16, and the Asian Tour's Manila event worth 14

Adam Scott  - Remains  #2 regardless of what Stenson does in Dubai. Assuming he goes on to win, Scott would move to within 2.6 points of Tiger Woods at the top. (9.779 for AS, 12.339 for TW)

Henrik Stenson - Remains #3 if he wins or at least stays within a place or two of Justin Rose, (that is unless Rose wins).

Justin Rose - Could pass Phil and Stenson for #3 with a win, regardless of what Stenson would do. Moves to #4 past Phil with a 3-way time for 5th or a solo 6th.  

With a win... Poulter could move as high as #10, Dubuisson as high as #23, and Westwood as high as #14

Kuchar - If Scott falters in Australia and somehow Kuch were to pull it out... he could move to #6 if Rory were to finish 13th or worse in Dubai

McIlroy - Even with a win, can't move up from his current #6

Jimenez - If Miguel holds on to his current 5th place, he would move as high as #45

Koumei Oda - 3rd highest rated player (94) in the Japan field. If he holds on to win he moves to the mid to high 60's.  

Liang Wen-chong - Is the highest rated player (131) participating in Manila, and is playing like it with the 3rd round lead. If he goes on to win he moves up to just outside top-100, as high as #103

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 16 Nov 2013, 5:37 pm

Mysti - If we're only as smart as our least intelligent person, we're in trouble. But, you could say that about just any country!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Nov 2013, 5:40 pm

Yes S-R- I can imagine that faux Aus had to ask 500 people those questions to get that 10 minute clip!

But all the same its pretty funny!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 16 Nov 2013, 5:51 pm

To be fair, I've never been asked by a Dane, Finn or Austrian whether we have Starbucks, Television , I-pads or The Office in the UK though.

There are of course idiots in every country, however, I think it's fair assessment that your average American is less well aware of global geographic facts than Europeans or those from Australasia. Doesn't make them stupid, just that they prioritise what they teach differently.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 16 Nov 2013, 7:38 pm

super_realist wrote:There are of course idiots in every country, however, I think it's fair assessment that your average American is less well aware of global geographic facts than Europeans or those from Australasia. Doesn't make them stupid, just that they prioritise what they teach differently.
I think you have it there... and then again IMO a lot of it rests with the education system here. While each state or locality has their own educational standards, it was just recently that I found out that a basic geography course is no longer required in Texas. WHAT THE %$&#'s up with that? As a "military brat", I was educated mostly abroad in American schools on military bases, so I'm sure I was exposed to a LOT more than the kids who never leave the states... but sheesh...

I don't know how long it's been this way here... but as it turns out, to fulfill their social studies requirements, our students can now focus mainly on state, or U.S. History and in their entire 4 years of High School are required to have only one of either a World History Section or a World Geography section... NOT both. They can take the other as an elective, but it doesn't even sound like geography is pushed for the pre-college track's either. Granted, even in a world history section they might pick up at least a decent awareness of the world (at least the way it was)... but not having a full year of world geography required is a crime IMO.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 16 Nov 2013, 10:19 pm

Back to the topic, will Henrik get to No. 1 when/if he wins tomorrow?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat 16 Nov 2013, 10:35 pm

Robo said he would remain number 3 if he wins and can stay even there if he doesn't depending upon where Rose finishes.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 16 Nov 2013, 11:56 pm

Stenson is about 217 net points away from Tiger in the OWGR.

Even he wins tomorrow, he will still be about 163 pts behind.

Even winning tomorrow, he is not going to catch Tiger anytime soon.  Stenson would have to win a couple big events early next year and Tiger do virtually nothing for him to have a chance to catch him before the Masters.

Basically the same scenario for Adam Scott, although the difference is not as much.

If the stars align for either Adam or Henrik, they might have a chance at the Cadillac.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 17 Nov 2013, 12:28 pm

EDITED FINAL top-100 FOR WEEK 46 (after completion of Mayakoba)

NOTES:

Top-6 remains unchanged, but Scott and Stenson pull closer to #1 Woods.  

#5 Justin Rose finished 2 shots out of the number needed to pass Phil Mickelson for #4

Kuchar's 2nd place finish in Australia moves him to #7 past Stricker.

Ian Poulter moves from #15 to #11 with a strong 2nd place finish.

Harris English moves up to #54 with his win at Mayakoba.

With his 3rd place finish in Dubai, Victor Dubuisson moves to #32 (from 39) to virtually assure himself a top-50 spot at year end.

Miguel A Jimenez moves into the top-50 at #47. Prior #48 Bo Van Pelt falls to #51

Liang Wen-Chong won the Asian Tour event in Manila which will move him to #104.

Hideto Tanihara won the Japan Mitsui event which moves him to #134

1 - ( 1 ) - 12.3386 - Tiger Woods
2 - ( 2 ) - 9.7792 - Adam Scott
3 - ( 3 ) - 9.0128 - Henrik Stenson
4 - ( 4 ) - 7.8226 - Phil Mickelson
5 - ( 5 ) - 7.7572 - Justin Rose
6 - ( 6 ) - 6.6698 - Rory McIlroy
7 - ( 8 ) - 6.3715 - Matt Kuchar
8 - ( 7 ) - 6.2167 - Steve Stricker
9 - ( 9 ) - 5.8469 - Brandt Snedeker
10 - ( 10 ) - 5.4833 - Jason Dufner
11 - ( 15 ) - 5.3339 - Ian Poulter
12 - ( 11 ) - 5.3309 - Graeme McDowell
13 - ( 12 ) - 5.2822 - Dustin Johnson
14 - ( 13 ) - 5.0374 - Zach Johnson
15 - ( 14 ) - 4.8974 - Jim Furyk
16 - ( 16 ) - 4.7720 - Keegan Bradley
17 - ( 17 ) - 4.6858 - Luke Donald
18 - ( 20 ) - 4.6105 - Jason Day
19 - ( 18 ) - 4.5336 - Sergio Garcia
20 - ( 19 ) - 4.5138 - Webb Simpson
21 - ( 22 ) - 4.3091 - Jordan Spieth
22 - ( 21 ) - 4.2945 - Charl Schwartzel
23 - ( 23 ) - 4.1232 - Lee Westwood
24 - ( 24 ) - 3.9398 - Ernie Els
25 - ( 25 ) - 3.6096 - Bill Haas
26 - ( 27 ) - 3.6088 - Bubba Watson
27 - ( 26 ) - 3.6034 - Nick Watney
28 - ( 28 ) - 3.5641 - Hideki Matsuyama
29 - ( 29 ) - 3.5153 - Hunter Mahan
30 - ( 30 ) - 3.3936 - Louis Oosthuizen
31 - ( 32 ) - 3.3881 - Jamie Donaldson
32 - ( 39 ) - 3.3372 - Victor Dubuisson
33 - ( 31 ) - 3.3157 - Ryan Moore
34 - ( 33 ) - 3.0777 - Graham Delaet
35 - ( 34 ) - 2.9217 - Gonzalo Fdez-Castano
36 - ( 35 ) - 2.8972 - Martin Kaymer
37 - ( 40 ) - 2.8674 - Francesco Molinari
38 - ( 37 ) - 2.8559 - Matteo Manassero
39 - ( 42 ) - 2.8366 - Jonas Blixt
40 - ( 36 ) - 2.8263 - Rickie Fowler
41 - ( 38 ) - 2.7974 - Billy Horschel
42 - ( 41 ) - 2.7467 - David Lynn
43 - ( 45 ) - 2.7082 - Peter Hanson
44 - ( 46 ) - 2.6744 - Thomas Bjorn
45 - ( 44 ) - 2.6702 - Jimmy Walker
46 - ( 43 ) - 2.6691 - Kevin Streelman
47 - ( 53 ) - 2.5345 - Miguel A Jimenez
48 - ( 47 ) - 2.5251 - Scott Piercy
49 - ( 49 ) - 2.5245 - Thongchai Jaidee
50 - ( 50 ) - 2.5192 - Richard Sterne
51 - ( 48 ) - 2.4791 - Bo Van Pelt
52 - ( 52 ) - 2.4567 - Branden Grace
53 - ( 51 ) - 2.4547 - Boo Weekley
54 - ( 68 ) - 2.4296 - Harris English
55 - ( 60 ) - 2.4033 - Joost Luiten
56 - ( 54 ) - 2.3803 - Bernd Wiesberger
57 - ( 55 ) - 2.2646 - Gary Woodland
58 - ( 57 ) - 2.2587 - Thorbjorn Olesen
59 - ( 56 ) - 2.2223 - Chris Kirk
60 - ( 58 ) - 2.1623 - Angel Cabrera
61 - ( 59 ) - 2.1358 - D.A. Points
62 - ( 61 ) - 2.1309 - Stephen Gallacher
63 - ( 62 ) - 2.1032 - Nicolas Colsaerts
64 - ( 64 ) - 2.0404 - Peter Uihlein
65 - ( 69 ) - 2.0264 - Marc Leishman
66 - ( 63 ) - 2.0258 - Tim Clark
67 - ( 72 ) - 2.0105 - Brendon de Jonge
68 - ( 65 ) - 1.9966 - Kiradech Aphibarnrat
69 - ( 65 ) - 1.9790 - Roberto Castro
70 - ( 65 ) - 1.9609 - Michael Thompson
71 - ( 71 ) - 1.9579 - Chris Wood
72 - ( 67 ) - 1.9571 - Robert Garrigus
73 - ( 73 ) - 1.9393 - Patrick Reed
74 - ( 77 ) - 1.8851 - Charles Howell-III
75 - ( 75 ) - 1.8802 - Shane Lowry
76 - ( 74 ) - 1.8471 - Luke Guthrie
77 - ( 78 ) - 1.8450 - Brett Rumford
78 - ( 89 ) - 1.8312 - Chris Stroud
79 - ( 76 ) - 1.8194 - Martin Laird
80 - ( 82 ) - 1.7973 - Ross Fisher
81 - ( 83 ) - 1.7899 - Mikko Ilonen
82 - ( 86 ) - 1.7828 - Kim Hyung-sung
83 - ( 81 ) - 1.7678 - Marcel Siem
84 - ( 80 ) - 1.7516 - Russell Henley
85 - ( 79 ) - 1.7439 - Carl Pettersson
86 - ( 85 ) - 1.7430 - Fredrik Jacobson
87 - ( 84 ) - 1.7308 - John Merrick
88 - ( 94 ) - 1.7304 - Koumei Oda
89 - ( 83 ) - 1.7229 - Alexander Noren
90 - ( 87 ) - 1.7189 - Paul Lawrie
91 - ( 91 ) - 1.6887 - George Coetzee
92 - ( 92 ) - 1.6885 - Brooks Koepka
93 - ( 95 ) - 1.6807 - John Huh
94 - ( 88 ) - 1.6664 - Paul Casey
95 - ( 93 ) - 1.6638 - Charley Hoffman
96 - ( 99 ) - 1.6618 - Pablo Larrazabal
97 - ( 98 ) - 1.6611 - David Howell
98 - ( 96 ) - 1.6379 - Scott Stallings
99 - ( 103 ) - 1.6318 - Marcus Fraser
100 - ( 100 ) - 1.6180 - Matthew Jones

Last edited by robopz on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 17 Nov 2013, 1:45 pm

GPB wrote:Stenson is about 217 net points away from Tiger in the OWGR.

Even he wins tomorrow, he will still be about 163 pts behind.

Even winning tomorrow, he is not going to catch Tiger anytime soon.  Stenson would have to win a couple big events early next year and Tiger do virtually nothing for him to have a chance to catch him before the Masters.

Basically the same scenario for Adam Scott, although the difference is not as much.

If the stars align for either Adam or Henrik, they might have a chance at the Cadillac.
Correct....  it's hard to project exactly when or how a player can pass because we don't know all the players schedules (which affects divisors) or what the value of those events would be...

BUT...  based on the rankings after Today...  Adam Scott  is 103 points short of what he would need to have to be ahead of Woods... and Stenson is 173 points behind.

We know Scott is playing the World Cup and Australian Open... Assuming the World Cup comes in at 42 and the Aus Open at its minimum of 32... even if Adam were to win them both... that would have him about 25-30 points short of TW (Scott's attrition is slower than Woods + Adam will pick up 1 on his divisor by the end of the year)

I have no idea on Stenson's schedule... Last year Dubai was his last event...

And then of course you have Tiger in his 44-48 point event...  in early December. (and TW will lose one off his divisor by years end)

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 17 Nov 2013, 2:36 pm

Stenson actually played the South African after Dubai last year....He is defending champion in SA and I think he plans to play it unless he withdraws.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 17 Nov 2013, 3:15 pm

sirbenson wrote:Stenson actually played the South African after Dubai last year....He is defending champion in SA and I think he plans to play it unless he withdraws.
Good catch... I hadn't recalled the SA Open was before Dubai last year... and yes... Stenson does show to be in the field. At a quick glance... it doesn't look as though the S.A. Open can get beyond it's minimum of 32 points. But unless he suffers a letdown... he sure looks like the man to most likely get those 32 points... :-)

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 17 Nov 2013, 10:05 pm

EDITED FINAL top-100 FOR WEEK 46 (after completion of Mayakoba) has been inserted several posts above.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 17 Nov 2013, 11:32 pm

In lack of a dedicated tread I'll put it here:

Congratulations to Henrik Stenson. Pretty amazing to win both Tour finales, plus of course the R2D and FedEx cup.clap 

Did you see his 2nd on the 18th today? A 3-wood for a tap-in eagle. Shocked One of the best shots I've seen for a long time, and surely a candidate for shot of the year. clap

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next