The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Team vs Tonga

+46
aucklandlaurie
No9
quinsforever
wrfc1980
butterfingers
yappysnap
tigertattie
nobbled
mckay1402
offload
ALPanorak
rainbow-warrior
Geordie
LeinsterFan4life
kingjohn7
GLove39
wales606
Hound of Harrow
Taylorman
RDSguru
Biltong
LordDowlais
Scrumpy
Casartelli
Knowsit17
Cardiff Dave
ScarletSpiderman
glamorganalun
daidimview
Taffineastbourne
BlueNote
Luckless Pedestrian
Bluedragon
welshy824 (new)
Higher_Ground
Comfort
munkian
jimmyinthewell68
Scratch
The Saint
maestegmafia
majesticimperialman
whocares
wayne
bedfordwelsh
Jhamer25
50 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Wales Team vs Tonga Empty Wales Team vs Tonga

Post by Jhamer25 Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:36 pm

We had a great game yesterday and we thoroughly deserved it.
Now on to next week vs the Tongan's and with our record with injuries, i'm not looking forward to it. Watched them vs Frances and they were very physical. A lot of the French ended up on their arse.
Tonga to have a threat in their backs and a good ball carrying pack. The dilemma we have it that we have Australia the week after and we want as many of out first team starters as we can. However we need to win this game next week against a descent Tongan team without risking our star players because i sense a few more injures will occur against a brutal side who show no mercy:

Here is my team for the game:
1. Paul James
2. Ken Owens
3. Samson Lee
4. Bradley Davies (C)
5. Ian Evans (if fit)
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Toby Falateu

9. Rhodri Wiliiams
10. Rhys Priestland
11. Liam Williams
12. Ashley Beck
13. Owen Williams
14. Geogre North
15. James Hook

16. Emyr Phillips, 17. Gethin Jenkins, 18. Rhodri Jones, 19. Luke Charteris, 20. Ryan Jones, 21. Mike Phillips, 22. Dan Biggar, 23. Tom Prydie

The Tongan scrum is shocking and i have no worries what so ever. Paul and Samson would be our key to winning the game at scrum time, both deserve a shot.
If Ian is fit he should start and join with Bradley to have there own little battle to see who is ready for the match against Australia, Bradley can also bring that physicality to the pack as well which will be needed vs the big pacific islanders. For me Bradley has been amazing so far this Autumn and deserve a start vs Australia but if Ian can come back into form Bradley will have to fight for his spot.
Dan needs to be on the field o cut down these tree like figures and needs game time if he is set to start vs the Aussies
To me Gats is definitely going to start Dan and Sam for the Aussie game which is why Tipuric deserves another start int he form he is in.
We need Toby's edge and physicality in the pack; it's a risk but i wuld be willing to take it

Mike was exceptional on Saturday but we still need more depth at 9 because it is the are were we are weakest (depth wise) at the moment. Lloyd has been ok when he has come on but i want to see Rhodri have a shot

Priestland should start for another chance to shine, Biggar played really well on Saturday and made us play an expansive game; if Priestland is to start vs the Aussies he needs a corker.
Don't have much of a choice at Center and we can't risk Scott
George needs to start for the physicality that is set to be set upon us on Friday, again it's a risk but i would be willing to take it. However i wouldn't hesitate in staring Eli if he is fit.
James has stated he wants to play so much and this is the only chance i feel Gatland will give him to shine.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Wales Team vs Tonga Empty Re: Wales Team vs Tonga

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Bevington (James not available)
Owens
Lee
Charteris
Evans (is he fit)
Coombs
R Jones (capt)
Tipuric

R Williams
Priestland (Is Patchell fit)

Prydie
Hook
Beck
Amos

Li Williams

Thats my tuppenth worth, James isn't available guys also Gatland has said most of the Lions will be rested.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:49 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Bevington (James not available)
Owens
Lee
Charteris
Evans (is he fit)
Coombs
R Jones (capt)
Tipuric

R Williams

Prydie
Hook
Beck
Amos

Li Williams

Thats my tuppenth worth, James isn't available guys also Gatland has said most of the Lions will be rested.
Oh sh!t, that's gutting for Paul, he would have started as well.
I would rest Hibbard, Alyn Wyn, Sam, Gethin, Scott, Halfpenny

Anyone know when Jarvis is fit. He needs to start vs the Aussies, Australia scrum looked a bit stronger vs Ireland (not hard I know but still) and i don't wan the same embarrassment as they did. Rhodri did really well vs the Agries but he gave us a stable platform, i want to attack their scrum which is why we need Jarvis back ASAP/

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:14 pm

If we are going to rest players then I would go with.

1. Bevington
2. Owens
3. Lee
4. Davies
5. Charteris
6. Coombes
7. Lydiate
8. Jones

9. R Williams
10. Priestland
11. Prydie
12. Beck
13. S Williams
14. Amos
15. L Williams

16. Emyr Phillips
17. Jarvis?
18. Rhodri Jones
19. Evans
20. Lydiate
21. Lloyd Williams
22. Hook
23. North

Don't expect much from that side, but I'd like to rest our first choice players because Australia look like they're finding form and we can't afford to lose anymore players.

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Owens
Lee
Charteris
Evans (is he fit)
Coombs
R Jones (capt)
Tipuric

R Williams

Prydie
Hook
Beck
Amos

Li Williams

BW, this game is within the window and Paul James is available, it is the Oz game when he is not.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Tonga set piece is really poor, specially their scrum. They use physicality to just bully their opponents and keep on provocating them. Some good backs though. Check out charles piutau bro at centre. Wales by 30+ anyway. Good game to rest semi injured players.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:00 pm

I am not saying that Wales wont in against Tonga. But with Gatland saying that he is going to rest some of his players from this week.

Is he not taking Tonga for Granted? Is that a wise thing to do under estimate you opponent?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:31 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I am not saying that Wales wont in against Tonga. But with Gatland saying that he is going to rest some of his players from this week.

Is he not taking Tonga for Granted? Is that a wise thing to do under estimate you opponent?
Considering the quantity of injuries the welsh squad already have, three Tightheads injured, five centres injured, two wingers, Wales are not fielding their best side.

We are lucky we have the depth in those positions to beat a team like Argentina very convincingly.

Gatland just said he will call up players this week

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Owen Williams might be fit apparently

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:42 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:I am not saying that Wales wont in against Tonga. But with Gatland saying that he is going to rest some of his players from this week.

Considering the quantity of injuries the welsh squad already have, three Tightheads injured, five centres injured, two wingers, Wales are not fielding their best side.

We are lucky we have the depth in those positions to beat a team like Argentina very convincingly.

Yes on Scrum V

Either Warren or Bishop I expect

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Some changes will be forced, apart from that I wouldn't make any wholesale ones. It's a chance to build momentum and we won't do that with lots of chopping and changing. The one I do agree with however, is Owens starting with E.Phillips on bench, Hibbard gets a rest. Personally don't think Bevington should be anywhere near the team.

Anyone know when Roberts and Cuthbert are back?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:28 pm

wayne wrote:
Owens
Lee
Charteris
Evans (is he fit)
Coombs
R Jones (capt)
Tipuric

R Williams

Prydie
Hook
Beck
Amos

Li Williams

BW, this game is within the window and Paul James is available, it is the Oz game when he is not.
Wayne, I believe Paul James has 'swapped' his availability with his club so that he's available for them next week and they have agreed to release him the week later.

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Griff wrote:
wayne wrote:
Owens
Lee
Charteris
Evans (is he fit)
Coombs
R Jones (capt)
Tipuric

R Williams

Prydie
Hook
Beck
Amos

Li Williams

Wayne, I believe Paul James has 'swapped' his availability with his club so that he's available for them next week and they have agreed to release him the week later.
Thanks for that, the only problem with that is either Gethin will have to play, or Bevington will be selected and as an Ospreys supporter I hate to say it, but his scrummaging has gone downhill terribly this year, unless as somebody has said the Tongan scrum is also awful.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:05 pm

What about Rhodri again, or did he get injured? James at LH and Rhodri at TH? Would be happy to see Ken Owens in the middle then too.

Last edited by Griff on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Sorry, scrap that - I was thinking ahead to Oz!!!

Yes, we're a little stuck if we're rotating. Gethin for this one and then bench him in favour of James for Oz? That could work well with James doing the hard work at the start and then bringing on an Engine like Jenkins later on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:23 pm

What about Priestland v Biggar….did who is first choice now for the Aus game?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:28 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Yes on Scrum V

Either Warren or Bishop I expect

Warren be great.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Griff wrote:Sorry, scrap that - I was thinking ahead to Oz!!!

Yes, we're a little stuck if we're rotating. Gethin for this one and then bench him in favour of James for Oz? That could work well with James doing the hard work at the start and then bringing on an Engine like Jenkins later on.
That would work, I know I'm biased but Paul is a lot better scrummager than Gethin and I think we need that against Oz.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:10 pm

[quote="wayne"]
Owens
Lee
Charteris
Evans (is he fit)
Coombs
R Jones (capt)
Tipuric

R Williams

Prydie
Hook
Beck
Amos

Li Williams

BW, this game is within the window and Paul James is available, it is the Oz game when he is not.[/quote

Wayne,

A deal has been done with Bath so he's free for Bath game not Tonga game.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:14 pm

It would be silly to play Sc Williams, if he's carrying a knock then give him more rest.

Either let Priestland start and put Hook in centre with Beck or start Hook at 10 and call up another centre.

Any news on Patchell, guess he could start if fit.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:15 pm

There will be some call ups, but who?

Shingler, Dixon, Bishop?

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:17 pm

IM,

Shinglers a good shout and Bishop is pretty solid/dependable if not spectacular. His defence would certainly be of use against the Tongan torpedos.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:24 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
wayne wrote:
Owens
Lee
Charteris
Evans (is he fit)
Coombs
R Jones (capt)
Tipuric

R Williams

Prydie
Hook
Beck
Amos

Li Williams

BW, this game is within the window and Paul James is available, it is the Oz game when he is not.[/quote

Wayne,

BW, Griff has already set me right, sorry about that. Thanks

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:25 pm

IronMike wrote:There will be some call ups, but who?

Shingler, Dixon, Bishop?
Dixon is out for a long, long time with a bad injury unfortunately.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:26 pm

That ok you're forgiven Hug 
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:33 pm

I think the term James is a better scrummager than Gethin is a bit of a myth. I feel James is a bit of a penalty machine. GJ has always been decent in the scrum but has improved exponentially in the past 2 years. If James was as good as people make out then I'm sure it would have been him on the the last two Lions tours and not Jenkins. Also, GJ pretty much had the summer off so won't need as much rest as the others. Also for that reason I think it's likely we'll receive some more injuries during Friday's game.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:52 pm

The Saint wrote:I think the term James is a better scrummager than Gethin is a bit of a myth. I feel James is a bit of a penalty machine. GJ has always been decent in the scrum but has improved exponentially in the past 2 years. If James was as good as people make out then I'm sure it would have been him on the the last two Lions tours and not Jenkins. Also, GJ pretty much had the summer off so won't need as much rest as the others. Also for that reason I think it's likely we'll receive some more injuries during Friday's game.
We are pushing the strength of our depth of player resources to creaking level. But all this testing only makes our squad and regions stronger in the long run. Those tested, Rhodri Jones, Sampson Lee, Cory Allen have done very well. We should enjoy some pride in our fluent mix of experience and youthful endeavour.

How wonderful to see, now injured, young Allen turning the pace on in a confident break, Rhodri Jones taking ball on, fighting to his best in the scrum.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:30 am

I don't think (and hope) that the likes of Jenkins, Hibbard, AWJ, Faletau (though bet he would love to play against his Country of birth), Warburton, Sc Williams, North or Halfpenny will be risked against the Tongans.

There was a great piece on Scrum V about Toby and his Dad Kuli and (yes showing my age) I remember him and Josh Taumololo starting to play for Ebbw and seeing these little kids running around car park and pitch.

Looking ahead to Twickenham next year will be great to see Toby and Billy V go head to head possibly.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:43 am

yes seen the Toby piece ,nice touch with the family values . pity the V brothers decide to play for England . that billy looks a good player him and Ben Morgan will be number 8 between them for years . both train in Wales but i feel with Toby we had the pick of the bunch

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:45 am

As powerfull as Billy seems, Toby is much greater all round player
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:39 am

this is going to be a very interesting selection!!
off the top of my head (and considering what Gats has said and who's in the squad) i'd go with:

1. Bevington
2. Owens
3. R Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Charteris
6. Coombes
7. Tips
8. Ryan Jones
9. R Williams
10. Priestland
11. Amos
12. Beck
13. Owen Williams
14. Liam Williams
15. Halfpenny

16. Gethin
17. Hibbard
18. Lee
19. AW Jones
20. Faletau
21. Phillips
22. Biggar
23. Hook

Strong bench to come on and finish the game off inside the last 20.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:41 am

Isn't Hook supposed to be at 10 ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:46 am

Scratch wrote:What about Priestland v Biggar….did who is first choice now for the Aus game?
I think that's fairly apparent. However, Gatland will more than likely pick Priestland.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:48 am

munkian, yeah but I really dont see the point personally, he's Wales utility, that much is very, very clear.

Give Priestland a shot at 10 and keep Hook back for what his role is in hte squad.

I'd also keep Halfpenny in at 15, his running lines against SA (before JD2 was injured) and against Argentina were very good in attack, very Byrne-esque creating space for the wingers on the outside.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:56 am

gats said he would look at hook playing ten . agree with priestland having another go . if Owen Williams fit then prob he be in with Scott Williams . not even try to guess the rest of the squad . just hope gatland dot take tonga too lightly

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:03 pm

For those who picked Prydie, he has knackered his hammy in training last week.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Dan Evans will do a job at 15 Wales
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:35 pm

munkian wrote:Isn't Hook supposed to be at 10 ?
That was the plan and in no doubt he will start but with the injuries now he might go to 12 with Priestland getting another run out, any news on Patchell?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Ian Evans and Owen Williams are 'officially' fit for the Tonga game - some good news at last
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Evans and Charteris 2nd row with Coombs R Jones and ??? in back row.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Sounds good. They may start Tips if Lydiate is fit for next week
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm

A pack of

Bevington (I know)
Owens
Lee
Evans
Charteris
Coombs
Jones
Tipuric

Isn't that bad
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:54 pm

If Owen Williams is fit I'd start him, either on the wing or in the centre, he is quite an elusive runner and seems to spot the gap very well in his outings for the Blues this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:56 pm

I think R Jones deserves another start …..is Ianto fit?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:58 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:A pack of

Bevington (I know)
Owens
Lee
Evans
Charteris
Coombs
Jones
Tipuric

Isn't that bad
I'd have Shingler over Coombs in the back row but would maybe bench or play Coombs at lock.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Prop Rob Evans has been called up to the Welsh team to cover Paul James.
I know im Scarlet and might seem biased but i would chuck him straight in with Samson.
Ryan Bevington hasn't been his best this year, i feel he has taken a step back in scrummaging this season. I don't know what wrong or whether it the new scrum rules but he hasn't been playing like he was last season. With Gethin being rested, Paul to Bath, Gill injured and Ryan not in form, i think this is a great chance to allow him show what he has.
He is a strong scrummager and a monster around the pitch, we want physicality and he can bring that. Ryan has been in the squad for the past few season because of his scrummaging but he isn't at his best so i feel it the perfect time to give Rob a chance.

To me Rob Evans and Rhys Gill are the way forward on the loose and Samson and Aaron on the tight when Gethin, Adam and Paul retire. They need game time and this is where they need to start.

Glad Ian and Owen are fit, both should start like i have already said.
One change
1. Rob Evans

He gave Rhodri the chance, know he should do the same with Rob

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:58 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:A pack of

Bevington (I know)
Owens
Lee
Evans
Charteris
Coombs
Jones
Tipuric

Isn't that bad
I'd have Shingler over Coombs in the back row but would maybe bench or play Coombs at lock.
He isn't in the squad is he Maes, if we using outside squad players then Lewis Evans gets my nod
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:04 pm

I think Rob Evans has great potential, but again it's another selection that isn't justified. We should have called up Gill and why would Sarries say no? We may only want him for one or two games, less than the expected three.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Aye sorry mate, thought he was in, had been playing well this season

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:25 pm

wayne wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
wayne wrote:
Owens
Lee
Charteris
Evans (is he fit)
Coombs
R Jones (capt)
Tipuric

R Williams

Prydie
Hook
Beck
Amos

Li Williams

Wayne,

BW, Griff has already set me right, sorry about that. Thanks
Looks like James will now be free this weekend, the blwdi PRL strike again. I sure hope that the PRL don't also force Saints to go back on their agreement with George North.

From the Western Mail

Wales will be without prop Paul James for their big final autumn international against Australia due to the latest club v country tug-of-war.

A deal had been struck with his club Bath whereby James would return to them this week and miss Friday’s Tonga Test, but then be released to Wales for next week’s showdown with the Wallabies.

It’s understood Bath were happy with this arrangement as it would have meant the strong-scrummaging loose-head being available for their Aviva Premiership trip to Wasps this Sunday.

But it now appears the agreement has fallen through and Wales will not be able to call on the experienced James for the Test against Australia, which falls outside the IRB autumn international window.

The policy of Premiership Rugby (PRL) - the English clubs umbrella organisation - is that players should not be released by the clubs for such out-of-window games.

It’s understood that PRL have had a recent conversation with Bath and reminded them of that policy.

Following that, James will now not be released for the Australia game, but is likely to be available to Wales for Friday’s clash with big-hitting Tonga.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next