The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Scotland U20s

+4
Majestic83
funnyExiledScot
formerly known as Sam
George Carlin
8 posters

Go down

New Scotland U20s Empty New Scotland U20s

Post by George Carlin Tue 19 Nov 2013, 6:21 pm

Watch this thread get astonishingly few comments.

I just was interested to see the new faces in Lineen's U20s camp:

Zachary Austin (Loughborough Students)
Christopher Barnes (Glasgow Hawks)
Magnus Bradbury (Boroughmuir/Edinburgh Rugby)
Lewis Carmichael (Melrose)
Ben Cooper (Boroughmuir)
Andrew Crammond (Aberdeen Grammar)
Phil Cringle (Edinburgh Accies/Edinburgh Rugby)
Jamie Farndale (Edinburgh Accies/Edinburgh Rugby)
Cameron Fenton (Strathallan School/Howe of Fife)
Ross Graham (Hawick)
Lewis Hall (Northampton Saints)
George Horne (Currie)
Damien Hoyland (Melrose)
Blair Hutchison (Loughborough/Melrose)
Neil Irvine-Hess (Watsonians/Edinburgh Rugby)
Sam James (London Wasps)
Cameron Jeffery (Clifton)
Joe Jones (College Rovers under-20/Durban Sharks under-19)
Ben Johnston (Marr)
Patrick Kelly (Merchiston Castle School)
Gavin Lowe (Ayr/Glasgow Warriors)
Murdo McAndrew (Clermont Auvergne)
Karl Main (Currie)
Rhodri Mayor (Sale)
Danny McLuskey (Ayr)
Shaun MacDonald (Stirling County)
Gregor Mein (Gala)
Calum Miller (Cambridge)
Sam Pecquer (Edinburgh Accies)
D’Arcy Rae (Ayr/Glasgow Warriors)
Angus Rennie (Aberdeen Grammar)
Iain Sexton (Edinburgh University)
Henry Slater (Durham University)
Tommy Spinks (London Scottish)
Richard Taylor (Loretto/Melrose)
Sam Thompson (Worcester Students)
Angus Wallace (Boroughmuir)
Callum Wood (Glasgow Hawks/Glasgow Warriors)
Ben Vellacott (Worcester Warriors/Hartpury)
Sean Yacoubian (Glasgow Hawks)
Glen Young (Newcastle Falcons)

Can Majestic or any of our other club experts tell us anything about any of these fine young things?

I am pleased to confirm not only that my former school club Marr has a lad in the running but that my Mighty Mazongas of Milbrae have also turned up the goods. D'Arcy Rae is a prospect - 19 year old loosehead, six one and 19 stones. On the other Ayr boys, I haven't seen them as much - I know that Gavin Lowe is a slight but speedy centre but Danny McLuskey is the centre that most noise is being made about - apparently, he looks very, very good. Ben Cogley I have never seen and so cannot comment.

Much obliged.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Scotland U20s Empty Re: New Scotland U20s

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 19 Nov 2013, 6:45 pm

A couple at Loughborough Students is interesting. They have close links to Tigers and Students are basically an amateur club in a pro set up given their facilities. Be interesting to see how they fare.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Nov 2013, 6:59 pm

Is this not the list of players ASBO wants capped in the 6 Nations?

I bet they're all better than Ross Ford, Nick De Luca and the rest of the Edinburgh Scotland players......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 19 Nov 2013, 7:00 pm

An U20 playing for Scotland? Would never happen...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 12:56 pm

Sorry guys just noticed this post, in a new job so can't get on as much these days.

There are a lot of names i don't recognise in this squad and not a lot seem to be playing 1st team rugby for their clubs which is a little bit worrying as the intensity of the u20s internationals will be a big step up.

The names that jump out at me for players to watch are Damien Hoyland who has switched to Melrose from Muir this season, played for the U20s last year as well and scored a few tries for them. Normally a winger but can play full back, very very quick. Got a good step and acceleration on him. Very good in defence especially at covering back and making the cover tackle. Good hands on him and also has a good boot. Would hope to see him step up to either Edinburgh or Glasgow next season.

George Horne the Currie Stand off and brother of Peter Horne. Seems to be a very good passer of the ball and is pretty creative. Been behind a poor pack at Currie this season so hasn't had a lot of good ball but when he does get good ball he seems to be able to get things going. Good boot on him as well and seems to be an accurate goal kicker.

Gavin Lowe from Ayr, saw him play for Glasgow against Aberdeen in Pre Season, came on at full back, not the biggest guy but certainly had pace to burn and with the skill to go with it. Looks a very good long term prospect. Wasn't scared to get involved in the physical stuff either. Could form a very good back 3 with Farndale and Hoyland.

Karl Main at Currie. Not seen him play yet but know a few guys who played with him at School level at Dunbar and apparently is very good and won alot of the games all by himself. Plays back row and is a ferocious tackler and good in the breakdown area.

Angus Rennie who is at Aberdeen Grammer, can play wing, 13 or full back. Very quick player again and knows his way to the try line, hard working player in games and also at training. Played quite a lot for Grammer this season and been one of the key players in the backs.

Andrew Crammond another one at Aberdeen is a 2nd row/back row, quite a big guy, physical who likes to hit rucks. Useful about the pitch as well in open play and is good at carrying the ball into contact and seems to make yards.

Tommy Spinks, At london Scottish but played for Haddington, Fettes and North Berwick before that. Back rower who prefers the 8 position but been playing 7 and 6 for London Scottish, played a few 1st team games for them this season and played at 6 for the 20s last year at the world cup. Could be one of the main players in the team this year and a possible shout as captain. Strong carrier with the ball and is quick, also good at the lineout as a main jumper and can be very physical.

Looks a decent squad but maybe missing a couple of big forwards like they have had in recent years. Should be a good set of backs though, with a good half back pairing in McAndrew and Horne.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 12:58 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Is this not the list of players ASBO wants capped in the 6 Nations?

I bet they're all better than Ross Ford, Nick De Luca and the rest of the Edinburgh Scotland players......
Laugh
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:03 pm

"Quick. Get them all tied in by handing them caps"

ASBO - November 2013

I've not seen Horne (brother of Horne furra lineeeee) play. Is he one to watch as a possible decent 10 for Scotland?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:14 pm

tigertattie wrote:"Quick. Get them all tied in by handing them caps"

ASBO - November 2013

I've not seen Horne (brother of Horne furra lineeeee) play.  Is he one to watch as a possible decent 10 for Scotland?
I think he possibly could be, not really seen too much of him play as didn't play against Currie when we played them, a few mates that play at Currie seem to talk highly of him.
Think he is only 18 so a wee bit off at the moment but certainly if he shows promise then one of the pro teams should take a look at him.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:25 pm

Get him to Edinburgh then I say!

Probs give him another year or two mastering his trade in the Prem. But as they say, if he is good enough, he is old enough!

ASBO will want him at Glasgow coz he's young and uncapped.  This way ASBO can shout at us all on here to get him into the full international team!

Maybe Horne Jnr can share a bed in the team hotel with Baby Bennett? They can top and tail! Will save the SRU some pennies!

Last edited by tigertattie on Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:34 pm

So which of these players will be turning out for Italy in a few years time?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 22 Nov 2013, 3:42 pm

tigertattie wrote:Get him to Edinburgh then I say!

Probs give him another year or two mastering his trade in the Prem. But as they say, if he is good enough, he is old enough!

ASBO will want him at Glasgow coz he's young and uncapped.  This way ASBO can shout at us all on here to get him into the full international team!

Maybe Horne Jnr can share a bed in the team hotel with Baby Bennett? They can top and tail! Will save the SRU some pennies!
The Warriors have first dibs on Horne Jnr tiger - SL told me so Whistle 
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down