The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia vs England 1st test match thread

+35
CaledonianCraig
Steffan
brennomac
dyrewolfe
KP_fan
TRUSSMAN66
Hoggy_Bear
Scrumpy
Biltong
JDizzle
VTR
hodge
Scratch
ChequeredJersey
Mike Selig
kingraf
Stella
Fists of Fury
liverbnz
hampo17
mystiroakey
msp83
alfie
GSC
Duty281
LivinginItaly
The Fourth Lion
B91212
Pal Joey
Breadvan
skyeman
guildfordbat
NickisBHAFC
Gerry SA
Good Golly I'm Olly
39 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Australia vs England 1st test match thread - Page 10 Empty Australia vs England 1st test match thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Nov 2013, 9:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

The Ashes - 1st Test, Brisbane
21-25 November, 2013

Australia:
CJL Rogers, DA Warner, SR Watson, MJ Clarke*, SPD Smith, GJ Bailey,
BJ Haddin†, PM Siddle, MG Johnson, NM Lyon, RJ Harris.

England:
AN Cook*, MA Carberry, IJL Trott, KP Pietersen, IR Bell, JE Root,
MJ Prior†, SCJ Broad, GP Swann, JM Anderson, CT Tremlett

Umpires: Aleem Dar (Pakistan) and HDPK Dharmasena (Sri Lanka)
TV umpire: M Erasmus (South Africa)
Match referee: JJ Crowe (New Zealand)
Reserve umpire: P Wilson (Australia)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Australia vs England 1st test match thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Australia vs England 1st test match thread

Post by JDizzle Sun 24 Nov 2013, 4:38 pm

To be fair, I think England's absolute peak was in Australia in 2010/11. A lot of players like Trott, Swann and arguably KP, Prior and Jimmy might never reach the level of performance they showed over that period of time again. That's not to say that they still aren't fine, fine players who are in the middle of a slump (Prior especially) but I don't think this England side will reach those levels again. A rebuilding phase is just round the corner IMO.

However, we are so, so much better than how we played in this Test it is unreal. And I have faith in these guys in that they have the ability and experience to turn it around.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Australia vs England 1st test match thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Australia vs England 1st test match thread

Post by Guest Sun 24 Nov 2013, 5:01 pm

It's amazing how similair Johnson and broad are in terms of how they gain confidence...If they score runs then it leads to confidence when they are bowling...Johnson everytime he scores runs he takes wickets, it happens all the time! Same with Broady...when broad is out of form with the bat then he tends to struggle with the ball..

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 24 Nov 2013, 9:16 pm

KP_fan wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:They will try . But it isn't as simple as that.. 
I agree...changing pitch character completly is not easy...there is grass and watering, and compaction and scruffing as the variable to play with to take it one way or the otehr.
they will try to make it as fast and as bouncy as above techniques might permit
here is what Dobelle write in CI about the Adelaide pitch......bad news...they are bringing a new drop-in pitch Sad

By reputation, Adelaide, the location of the second Test, is something approaching a batting paradise. It might, in normal circumstances, be expected to provide a tonic for England's beleaguered batsmen. But no-one is quite sure how the fresh drop-in pitch will play and it would seem oddly hospitable of Australia to offer anything other than another pitch of pace and bounce. There may be no respite in store

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sun 24 Nov 2013, 9:54 pm

Olly wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Alfie. England is on the slide. Get the youngsters in quicker so we will get back to the top quicker. Otherwise it will be a slow death
One loss and we're on the slide. #headsgone
I do think the team has been in steady decline for a while even when they were winning. Weren't all that convincing at home, admittedly.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Nov 2013, 9:55 pm

We are deffo on the way down. It's been clear for a year or so

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut1 Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:23 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:
Olly wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Alfie. England is on the slide. Get the youngsters in quicker so we will get back to the top quicker. Otherwise it will be a slow death
One loss and we're on the slide. #headsgone
I do think the team has been in steady decline for a while even when they were winning. Weren't all that convincing at home, admittedly.
But there aren't any obvious English youngsters in the county game at present who have that quality needed to immediately step up to cope with the demands and standards required for Test Match Cricket V Australia, SA, India etc. Then again if England are desparate to find a few batsmen to replace the likes of Strauss, KP, etc they can try searching through SA and Australia for ready-made players!

gboycottnut1

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:26 pm

I think we are fine with root, ballance, Bairstow and Taylor tbh mate

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sun 24 Nov 2013, 11:21 pm

Well, I never said there need to be any changes to the team. As JD said, this team peaked 3 years ago and has been in steady decline since but still good enough to beat most sides in the world.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 25 Nov 2013, 9:49 am

Disagree about steady decline there Shanks. Have been a bit up and down but apart from that horrible UAE tour their only real failure was against SA: which will have disappointed them but that was a seriously tough opponent ! Who were arguably at their own peak...and the win in India was full of merit.

Will see how this tour goes before considering whether the team is being sensibly refreshed or just rearranging the deck chairs...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10