The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia vs England 1st test match thread

+35
CaledonianCraig
Steffan
brennomac
dyrewolfe
KP_fan
TRUSSMAN66
Hoggy_Bear
Scrumpy
Biltong
JDizzle
VTR
hodge
Scratch
ChequeredJersey
Mike Selig
kingraf
Stella
Fists of Fury
liverbnz
hampo17
mystiroakey
msp83
alfie
GSC
Duty281
LivinginItaly
The Fourth Lion
B91212
Pal Joey
Breadvan
skyeman
guildfordbat
NickisBHAFC
Gerry SA
Good Golly I'm Olly
39 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Australia vs England 1st test match thread - Page 2 Empty Australia vs England 1st test match thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Nov 2013, 9:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

The Ashes - 1st Test, Brisbane
21-25 November, 2013

Australia:
CJL Rogers, DA Warner, SR Watson, MJ Clarke*, SPD Smith, GJ Bailey,
BJ Haddin†, PM Siddle, MG Johnson, NM Lyon, RJ Harris.

England:
AN Cook*, MA Carberry, IJL Trott, KP Pietersen, IR Bell, JE Root,
MJ Prior†, SCJ Broad, GP Swann, JM Anderson, CT Tremlett

Umpires: Aleem Dar (Pakistan) and HDPK Dharmasena (Sri Lanka)
TV umpire: M Erasmus (South Africa)
Match referee: JJ Crowe (New Zealand)
Reserve umpire: P Wilson (Australia)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Australia vs England 1st test match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Australia vs England 1st test match thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:08 pm

And from what I saw of the pitch there was no seam movement, some swing with the new ball however. Little spin yet. Looks a good batting wicket to me
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Australia vs England 1st test match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Australia vs England 1st test match thread

Post by guildfordbat Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:12 pm

Australia 273/8 at the end of day one.

Yes, as others have stated, we still have to bat before proper judgment can be made. However, in what I believe passes for modern parlance, we would have taken that. Australia wouldn't.

A tad disappointing to see Australia rally somewhat from 132/6. However, without wishing to put the mockers on, I feel that's probably more a stay of execution for our opponents than a complete turnaround. Johnson's 64 is an irritant but I don't see him doing that too often. Hopefully far more significant as regards both this Test and the series is none of the Australian top six getting to 50 and half of them going for a single figure score.

Watched the first session live on tv and then the highlights this morning (bizarrely SKY used their coffee bar as the studio setting!!). Lovely bowling by Broad with deserved success. Decent support as well from Anderson and, yes, Tremlett. I'll return to the Big Man when the Test is completed. My concerns have always been far more about his strength and fitness than his ability (although they are all very much linked). So far though, I do concede that my doubts look overstated. Hoping it stays that way. From my viewing, there didn't seem much extra help for any of the seamers. Bounce from the wicket was as true as it should be whilst the ball hardly seamed to swing [edit: apart from a bit with the new ball as Olly has rightly pointed out]. I also felt the outfield was fairly quick; I heard Johnson in post match interview take a very different view and refer to it as 'slow'. Possibly 'spin' from him or maybe just me getting it wrong (again!).

A bit of tap for Swann but I'm not worried about that. He's canny and resilient which will see him come good.

Good knock from Haddin though. Like him. More talent than many give him credit for and a battler as well. Very useful combination.

Credit as well to the England fielders. The catches were generally of the 'regulation' type but the important thing is that they were all taken.

It'll be ideal now to get Australia all out for under 300 and see us grind on to 400+. However, a couple of England wickets early on and the game will once more take a very different appearance. All in all, an encouraging to very encouraging start (even with that pesky 7th wicket stand) but, as always after just one day, a long way to go ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:18 pm

Good start england

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:02 pm

The tail (late mid-order) got the runs when the ball was soft and not doing anything - the wickets started to fall again with the new ball.  The score keeps it interesting for both sides (although Aussies will be most disappointed) and makes a result (either way) almost a certainty.

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:26 pm

Spoiler:

Not sure if anyone has seen this headline from Australia

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:28 pm

Broad is medium -quick, not medium!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 21 Nov 2013, 2:54 pm

hampo171 wrote:
Spoiler:

Not sure if anyone has seen this headline from Australia

lol The Aussie press are such wags. Keep it up Broady.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 21 Nov 2013, 3:53 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Broad is medium -quick, not medium!!

I think that's part of the 'joke' mysti!

England largely in control here and can only throw it away themselves. Broad bowled well and was well supported but every one of the Oz top 6 will be disappointed with the way they got out.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 4:06 pm

I am either seriously out of touch on the news and banter, or i am pretty slow on this.

Because i have no idea what that joke is

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 4:21 pm

Wow just seen highlights of the game.

The Aussies really care about this game dont there- Great atmosphere!

Good stuff

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 21 Nov 2013, 4:38 pm

B91212 wrote:And Bailey goes, caught at slip off Anderson. Never looked particularly comfortable since coming in and had dabbled outside off stump a few times before he was out. Smith looks in decent enough touch (if a little unorthodox as usual).

Aus 101/5 after 35.4 overs with Haddin now at the crease (before the afternoon drinks break). All England since the Watson wicket just before lunch.
I trust CF will be on shortly to offer me an apology re: George Bailey?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 21 Nov 2013, 4:57 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
B91212 wrote:And Bailey goes, caught at slip off Anderson. Never looked particularly comfortable since coming in and had dabbled outside off stump a few times before he was out. Smith looks in decent enough touch (if a little unorthodox as usual).

Aus 101/5 after 35.4 overs with Haddin now at the crease (before the afternoon drinks break). All England since the Watson wicket just before lunch.
I trust CF will be on shortly to offer me an apology re: George Bailey?

Tick tock, tick tock. If he captains Australia one day, i am a chinaman!!

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 21 Nov 2013, 4:57 pm

Don't hold your breath Wink

This was to Fists' post.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 21 Nov 2013, 5:04 pm

Mysti, the Aus press are calling him medium and will not mention his name. They are referring to him only as that medium pacer.

Who got a five-fer.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 21 Nov 2013, 5:11 pm

I would like an apology from IC regarding Bailey as well - not holding my breath.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Nov 2013, 5:16 pm

Fantastic knock from Haddin, keeping the aussies in this, very good knock!

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 5:18 pm

Right so basically they have tagged him as some also ran(English medium pace bowler)

because he destroys them, and because he thrives under abuse.

Ok Aussies yeah- seriously its the equivalent of our press calling Clarke an associate no 10 batsman!

Its just not funny- but please keep it up lads Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 21 Nov 2013, 5:18 pm

At the start of play, I thought England would have done well to restrict Australia to under 400. Looked a hard, flat and fast wicket, with lovely conditions overhead on day 1.

England, Broad in particular (cheers to the Aussie press for motivating him), were fantastic. Now the aim is to kep Australia below 300 - two quick wickets and get into bat. Days 2 and 3 will be a lovely time for England to rack up a massive 1st innings score in a timely fashion.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 21 Nov 2013, 5:26 pm

Loved that Aussie holding up the banner " Broad, we remember last summer"

Botham said "so do i. 3-0"

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 21 Nov 2013, 5:42 pm

Not sure it's entirely fair to dismiss Bailey on the back of one innings, no matter how uncomfortable he looked, particularly as it's his first knock in test cricket. However he did get out to exactly the kind of ball I think he'll struggle against.

Thought Smith looked about the most compact of the Aussie batsmen, and you're really in trouble when that happens. Watson got himself out having gotten himself in for the (n+1)st time, to a complete nothing shot as well. Warner hit what was a long-hop straight to cover really also when well set. Rogers was surprised by a good short ball, and Clarke is going to have to sort himself out sharpish; Smith got a decent balls which he probably should have left alone, but it did get some zip off the wicket.

Having said that, they have somehow gotten themselves something resembling a score. Of course it's below par, but it's still something for their bowlers to have a go at.

However I can't see the England batsmen getting themselves out quite as easily. It's going to take a very good bowling performance from the Aussies to give themselves a chance.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 21 Nov 2013, 5:46 pm

I fancy Johnson to rip through the English lineup. His bowling performance is directly linked to how well he is batting. Could pull of a super spell. I remember being in the crowd the day he scored 97 in S.A.... And then looking gobsmacked when he took six for next to nothing. He did even better a test later...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 21 Nov 2013, 5:47 pm

Of course, being Mitchell Johnson - he could bowl to the left and bowl to the right.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 5:48 pm

the new ball is the key factor here. so you may be right- but i can see us doing better than there top order either way

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:07 pm

Who thought firing up Broady was a good gameplan for the Aussies?! And KP too, let's see how that works out on his 100th Test...

ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:09 pm

Still reckon this is an outright batting pitch, though with our batting that might still mean we get bowled over. Don't think Johnson will do it though, his performances may be directly proportional to how he bats but also inversely so to how much pressure he is put under, but we'll see.

Fancy Cook and KP to make some runs. Knock on Wood
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:10 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Right so basically they have tagged him as some also ran(English medium pace bowler)

because he destroys them, and because he thrives under abuse.

Ok Aussies yeah- seriously its the equivalent of our press calling Clarke  an associate no 10 batsman!

Its just not funny- but please keep it up lads Wink

I disagree, I think it is funny
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:11 pm

Cook has been off form for about a year.

But the way he batted last time in Aus was legendary!

Cant wait to see him back on these tracks

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:16 pm

Cook plays better on non-English tracks, I think the stats back that up
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:22 pm

Just looked it up - Yeah he averages 56 batting away from home vs 48 I'm England
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:32 pm

I think his averages must be a little down from that mate- his overall ave is only 48

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:35 pm

well, he averages 26 in a place called "neutral"
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:37 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I am either seriously out of touch on the news and banter, or i am pretty slow on this.

Sure you aren't Stuart Broad?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:37 pm

its 54(away and neutral)

and 43 home

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:37 pm

kingraf wrote:well, he averages 26 in a place called "neutral"
v paikstain in dubai- 3 tests only

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:39 pm

Scratch wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:I am either seriously out of touch on the news and banter, or i am pretty slow on this.

Sure you aren't Stuart Broad?
V good.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:40 pm

Yeah, averages 43 in England... I somehow read his strike rate in England
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:42 pm

great away stats though!

probably pushed up from the last aus tour- where he averaged something ridiculas

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:44 pm

He averaged 128 last time he was there!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:45 pm

yeah - I remember Kallis' average jumping by about two runs after he scored an unbeaten double century. that's a guy with 170 caps. So I can imagine scoring 766 runs in five games does wonders when the sample size is 41 games
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:54 pm

Harris, when fit, can be a challenge on any track, and Johnson, well, is Johnson, but as kingraf said, when he scores runs, the opposition has to watchout for him with the ball as well. So England batsmen will have to be on top of their games. Get those remaining 2 wickets as quickly as possible(I expect them to resist more than the top order), and then bat positively.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 21 Nov 2013, 7:03 pm

The instigators of sledging, can they still be taken seriously now when they attempt it. Lose, lose, lose for three Ashes it would be like a 93 year old granny telling Tyson, i will knock you out in two.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:37 pm

One day there needs to be a poll on exactly why people dislike Stuart Broad.... I mean I really don't like him (don't hate him) and I have no idea why. Could be because he's blonde. Could be because he is English. Could be because he appears arrogant. But I think more likely because he has real "hit me" face/persona
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:50 pm

Looking at Broads stats for the last two years - 90 wickets in 22 tests is pretty good going. Has 50 sticks in 11 tests @ 24 this year. Think he is currently one of the top five bowlers in the world at the moment.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Nov 2013, 10:00 pm

Hopefully he is maturing as a bowler, he's still what only 27?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 10:03 pm

Broad is a typical England success tbh

He was brought in on potential(like Jimmy or flintoff) over being the best player available to grow within the team

We allways need a spot or two filled with talent over older possibly better in the short run players.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 21 Nov 2013, 10:38 pm

Fantastic last night from England and Stuart Broad. I must admit i did laugh when his name was read out to a huge amount of boos, followed by getting smashed for 4. But i laughed even harder when he took superb bowling figures! Is it wrong that i enjoy heated crowds in Cricket? Obviously i don't want it to turn into anything like football fans, but it is a lot better when there is a lot of noise in the crowd!!!!

Only caught a total time of 1 hour yesterday, 00:00 to 00:15. Followed by 05:00 to 05:45. Ill imagine it will be the same tonight/tomorrow morning as again i start work at 6am Sad A lovely 3 day weekend though coming up, means potential all nighters watching England claim the 1st test Smile

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 11:29 pm

Nick mate you are to young for all this working stuff- Get yourself to UNI!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 22 Nov 2013, 12:16 am

Yes Broady
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 22 Nov 2013, 12:45 am

Australia 295 all out.

England will be more than happy with their early work today. One more wicket for Broad and a run out from a Carberry / Prior combo to dismiss Haddin and deny him a deserved ton.

Now today's more difficult work for England begins ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:23 am

Good start really,

Carbs looks decent,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next