The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWE name choices (American Wolves name change)

+5
Lowlandbrit
jai.roberts
crippledtart
JoshSansom
x12x
9 posters

Go down

WWE name choices (American Wolves name change) Empty WWE name choices (American Wolves name change)

Post by x12x Fri 22 Nov 2013, 9:27 pm

With the American Wolves making their debut for NXT in the past week with new (in my opinion) awful names I was wondering what you thought of their process and why they think certain names would even work?

Btw the American Wolves are now the American Pitbulls (not bad I guess). Davey Richards is now John Cahill and Eddie Edwards is now Eric Philbin. Maybe it's just me but I really dislike both names and hate that they can't just keep them with their original names that are in my opinion really good, I get the whole legal rights thing but surely it's easy to come up with names better than John Cahill and Eric Philbin!?

x12x

Back to top Go down

WWE name choices (American Wolves name change) Empty Re: WWE name choices (American Wolves name change)

Post by JoshSansom Fri 22 Nov 2013, 10:37 pm

American Pitbulls sounds good and (if they are a face team) sounds like they *could* debut into an interesting feud with the Real Americans...

John Cahill is fine but the other one is awful. Can't say Eric without thinking Cartman and Philbin sounds like a comedy character name

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

WWE name choices (American Wolves name change) Empty Re: WWE name choices (American Wolves name change)

Post by crippledtart Fri 22 Nov 2013, 11:54 pm

It does seem at times like WWE uses some sort of random name generator.

I could imagine John Cahill and Eric Philbin working in the same accountancy firm as Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Adrian Neville.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by x12x Sat 23 Nov 2013, 7:07 am

It feels like WWE hasn't got any hope for them and has given them the blandest names they could come up with. I do though like Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins name wise.

The bad names I think are ones like Husky Harris, Michael Mcgullicutty or however it's spelt), Husky Harris etc mainly Nexus haha

x12x

Back to top Go down

Post by jai.roberts Sat 23 Nov 2013, 7:56 am

Viper really didn't like husky Harris lol

jai.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Sat 23 Nov 2013, 8:37 am

I don't think Ambrose and Rollins are too bad, but they definitely sound a lot like 'normal people' names. I could imagine Seth Rollins being a butcher. Dean Ambrose would maybe be a driving instructor or something. Daniel Bryan would be a League One level footballer.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by x12x Sat 23 Nov 2013, 1:57 pm

How come certain guys like Cena and Orton got to keep their names? Was it because WWE knew they were going to be massive or something else? I assume Orton's Dad was the main reason he kept his but what about Cena?

I know that Punk kept his because they didn't think he'd get anywhere etc.

x12x

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:08 pm

xviperx wrote:hate that they can't just keep them with their original names that are in my opinion really good
If they'd been called Philbin and Cahill before you'd probably be complaining about how terrible Richards and Edwards are.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sat 23 Nov 2013, 4:06 pm

I think a lot of these names take some getting used to, particularly if you've been following the wolves on the indies for the past 7 or so years, Cahill I don't mind, but I think Philbin just sounds silly for silliness sake, incidentally Edwards' real name is actually Eddie Edwards, maybe his parents were big fans of ski jumping?

Anyways Cahill's decent enough and will probably slip in to usage given enough time like Rollins, Ambrose and Cesaro, Philbin isn't great, though I'd still have it a place above the epically bad names like Kassius Ohno and Michael McGillicutty

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by x12x Sat 23 Nov 2013, 5:02 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:
xviperx wrote:hate that they can't just keep them with their original names that are in my opinion really good
If they'd been called Philbin and Cahill before you'd probably be complaining about how terrible Richards and Edwards are.
Maybe with Cahill but Phillbin is awful.
Hopefully they're around long enough to sink in, especially Richards...such an amazing talent.

x12x

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 23 Nov 2013, 10:09 pm

I like them both but I don't think a name will kill a good wrestler. I don't think a good name makes a massive difference either, Curtis Axel showing no more charisma with a shorter name.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Sun 24 Nov 2013, 1:43 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I like them both but I don't think a name will kill a good wrestler. I don't think a good name makes a massive difference either, Curtis Axel showing no more charisma with a shorter name.
Depends a bit. Steve Austin would never have become the biggest star of a generation if he'd kept the Ringmaster name.

But I definitely think talent is more important than a name. Daniel Bryan is a pretty bland name whatever way you look at it, but he's so good that people don't really think about that.

I think a truly bad name can hold a wrestler back though. The Red Rooster was never going to become a main eventer however good he was! An average name like Cahill and Philbin doesn't make a huge difference either way.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 24 Nov 2013, 1:48 am

I really don't think Steve Austin would have made it as big, if when he was looking for ring names to reflect the idea of being 'stone cold' he took the WWF creative idea of Chilly McFreeze

Still broadly agree with the point that names, within reason, don't tend to make or break careers

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Sun 24 Nov 2013, 2:01 am

McFreeze 3:16 says I just whipped your ass

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 24 Nov 2013, 2:12 am

crippledtart wrote:McFreeze 3:16 says I just whipped your ass
How to make the Attitude era 10x bigger in one move

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 24 Nov 2013, 3:03 am

While we're on the subject of names, I remember listening to an interview with Amazing Kong, a while back now, at on point she was talking about coming up with the Kharma name for her run in the 'E, apparently she was given the opportunity to suggest names of her own

One she came up with was like Bodessa Be Wicked or something, I forget exactly what it was but she said the main reason she wanted it was that it could be shortened to B.B.W

My respect and love for the woman went up ten fold after hearing that Laugh

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 24 Nov 2013, 4:25 pm

Of course its all within reasonable standards. I think the Undercrackers or CM Spunk would have struggled to get over. Equally, Edge and Muslim probably would have come up against problems

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by imprettyfly Tue 26 Nov 2013, 5:00 pm

Mason Ryan's name is actually his two mates from back home's Surnames (and incidentally was the name they suggested to him to put forward and was the last on the list and the WWE loved it)

imprettyfly

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Tue 26 Nov 2013, 5:04 pm

imprettyfly wrote:Mason Ryan's name is actually his two mates from back home's Surnames (and incidentally was the name they suggested to him to put forward and was the last on the list and the WWE loved it)
Proof that a good name can take you a long way

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 26 Nov 2013, 5:19 pm

I think when WWE are dishing out names for their new talent they should use the real names of other talent past or present who use/used gimmick names.

Davey Richards should have been renamed Bryan Danielson and Eddie Edwards should have been called Phil Brooks.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Tue 26 Nov 2013, 5:40 pm

I feel sorry for whoever got Michael Hickenbottom

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 26 Nov 2013, 5:46 pm

"And that's the Hickenbottom line, because Michael Hickenbottom said so!"

That works OK

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Thu 28 Nov 2013, 8:07 pm

This very topic is addressed on tonight's v2 Wrestling Podcast at http://v2wrestling.podomatic.com/entry/2013-11-28T11_19_15-08_00

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Thu 19 Dec 2013, 8:14 pm

xviperx wrote:Btw the American Wolves are now the American Pitbulls (not bad I guess). Davey Richards is now John Cahill and Eddie Edwards is now Eric Philbin.
So, the episode is out: according to the commentary Eddie is John Cahill, Davey is Derrick Billington.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Thu 19 Dec 2013, 9:23 pm

The short one looks like Matt Striker...

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down