The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matches that should have been the Main Event.

+5
crippledtart
Dr Gregory House MD
nasisillmatic
theundisputedY2D2
BD21
9 posters

Go down

Matches that should have been the Main Event. Empty Matches that should have been the Main Event.

Post by BD21 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 10:48 am

We always say that Title Matches should be the Main Event regardless of who is competing in them. Sometimes, matches that are so unique and promoted as the "biggest" match are pushed to the Undercard to keep a Title Match in the Main Event (see Hogan - Rock Mania 18 & HBK - Taker at WM25) other times though, a match which doesn't have the title involved is put in the Main Event because of the people involved (Rock - Cena WM 28).

What examples do you have of matches that are so good you think they should have gone on last?

BD21

Back to top Go down

Matches that should have been the Main Event. Empty Re: Matches that should have been the Main Event.

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 11:28 am

The two examples you use are prime candidates for matches that should have been the main event of their respective Wrestlemanias. It's surely just a coincidence that a certain Mr. Hunter Hearst Helmsley was in the Undisputed/WWE title matches in those years, I'm assuming the fact his match didn't go on last at Wrestlemania 24 must have been an aberration Wink 

I've always felt that the World Heavyweight title match between Batista and the Undertaker should have gone on last at Wrestlemania 23. For my money it turned out to be a better match than John Cena vs Shawn Michaels (although no-one could have predicted that beforehand) but I felt they had a bigger issue leading into Wrestlemania than Cena & HBK had at the time.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Matches that should have been the Main Event. Empty Re: Matches that should have been the Main Event.

Post by nasisillmatic Fri 29 Nov 2013, 11:35 am

I disagree about WM25. I think the right match went on last, the build up was top quality, what let that down was A. They tried to put on a wrestling classic when the match needed something different, and B. The wrong guy won.

While Shawn v Taker had a good build up and turned out to be a classic, I felt it didn't warrent to go on last.

Anyway back to topic. WM11 all day for me, absolute criminal.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 11:50 am

Fair enough about Wrestlemania 25, I guess I'm using a spot of revisionist history with that one. Hindsight's 20/20! Smile

Wrestlemania 11 was a complete abomination as an event, it was more about the "celebrities" (and I use that term VERY lightly) than the wrestlers. I suppose the main event was in keeping with the whole occasion.

I guess an argument could be made that Bret Hart vs Stone Cold Steve Austin at Wrestlemania 13 should have gone on last, but again that's using some hindsight.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Nov 2013, 12:10 pm

Always feel the top tier titles should be the last matches of any PPV with em the exception of the Royal Rumble. Was annoyed that CM Punk only main evented two (maybe three) PPV's during his 434 day run and we were subjected to crap like John Cena vs John Lauranitis instead.

Also thought it odd that the Workd Heavyweight title was used to open the show at two Wrestlemanias.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Fri 29 Nov 2013, 1:22 pm

Savage was done out of 2 mania main events by Hogan imo, his match v Warrior could have main evented for the title at 7 and why Hogan v Sid main evented over Savage/Flair at 8 baffles me

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 1:50 pm

To be fair Doc, when it comes to Wrestlemania 8 no-one could have followed WORYAH's return. In fact I'm surprised the WWF even bothered continuing Wrestlemania, they should have just left it at that.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Fri 29 Nov 2013, 4:32 pm

They should have definitely had Savage vs Flair on last, with Warrior saving Savage from a post-match attack. It would have sowed the seeds for the Summerslam 92 title match and saved us all from the Warrior-Papa Shango feud as well!

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Fri 29 Nov 2013, 4:55 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:Savage was done out of 2 mania main events by Hogan imo, his match v Warrior could have main evented for the title at 7 and why Hogan v Sid main evented over Savage/Flair at 8 baffles me
Agrees, I was gonna say Savage/Flair at MW 8, Warrior could of made the save on Savage!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 30 Nov 2013, 11:14 am

I don't know, they were selling this as Hogans last match, he was leaving the WWF, remember the whole thanks for the memories sit down interview between Vince and Hogan, I can see why they went with that.

Plus, if Warrior had to make the save either Savage wouldn't have won the title or people would say his win was tainted due to the Warrior run in.

The initial idea was to start a feud with Warrior/Sid

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Sat 30 Nov 2013, 3:10 pm

Savage wins the title, Flair and Perfect attack him post-match, Warrior makes the save. It would even tie in with the anniversary of their match at Wrestlemania 7 and the fact Warrior held a clean victory over Savage, which they could talk up in the ensuing months leading to their Summerslam match.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 01 Dec 2013, 12:02 pm

Thats revisionism though crips, it makes perfect sense in hindsight since we know what hapoened at SummerSlam 92 but the plans were for Warrior/Justice to feud over the summer so in that sense Warrior making the save for Hogan was ideal.

I loved Randy Savage but he was an after thought until about 3/4 weeks before WrestleMania, I'm still not quite sure the logic behind him winning the title other than no heel had walked out of Mania as World Champion and maybe Vince didn't want the #1 NWA guy to be the first.

Vince was clearly behind Sid, the big introduction as the enforcer, the push in late 91 which was hampered by injury, great showing at the Rumble and the heel turn on Hogan, Sid felt like a bigger star at that time than Ric Flair to a 9 year old me

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 01 Dec 2013, 12:33 pm

Royal Rumble matches should ALWAYS go on last at the rumble

2006 and 2013 was stupid.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun 01 Dec 2013, 1:42 pm

I can KIND OF appreciate why the Rumble was in the middle of the card in '13. What with The Rock winning the title.

There was no reason for it not to be last at '06.  Instead we got Mark Henry vs Kurt Angle, an entirely forgettable match.  It was purely for the spot with the Undertaker returning and destroying the ring, but they could easily have kept that for the following SmackDown.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down