The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dummy runners - what the...

3 posters

Go down

Dummy runners - what the... Empty Dummy runners - what the...

Post by R!skysports Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:55 am

Over the years there has now been a tendency for dummy runners in the back line make a run to try to confuse (or block if cynical) the defenders to allow the ball carrier a little extra space. 

I understand the point of that, and while I think it is a very grey area in the laws, it now seems to be a normal tactic to have the dummy runners 15 yards ahead of the person who gets the ball.

For me, it seems a totally ridiculous concept to think that someone 15 yards ahead for a pass will have any impact on the defense, unless illegally blocking. What ever happened to close quarter miss passes, drawing the man and off loading quickly (so the 6 forwards in the back line actually had a use by tieing in defenders) and general skill of hands

Is it something that the IRB should look at, or is it just one of the aspects of a game that I do not like, but will have to live with...

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Dummy runners - what the... Empty Re: Dummy runners - what the...

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:22 am

They call it a screen, don't they? You're right that those players (usually forwards) don't seem to confuse the opposition defence much, so maybe they're there so they won't have as far to travel to the next breakdown.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:02 am

Just another line of cheating introduced by the SH teams in an attempt to keep ahead of the rapidly closing NH teams....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down