The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Ashes Test, Perth

+39
Breadvan
Icu
skiddy
NickisBHAFC
LivinginItaly
Born Slippy
subhranshu.kumar.5
Biltong
mystiroakey
Hibbz
Scrumpy
liverbnz
ShahenshahG
amanuensis
Mike Selig
seanmichaels
Dorothy_Mantooth
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Mat
kwinigolfer
Pal Joey
Fists of Fury
alfie
Good Golly I'm Olly
Steffan
Duty281
B91212
Gerry SA
guildfordbat
Liam
KP_fan
JDizzle
msp83
jimbohammers
Nachos Jones
kingraf
CaledonianCraig
Hoggy_Bear
Stella
43 posters

Page 19 of 22 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down

3rd Ashes Test, Perth - Page 19 Empty 3rd Ashes Test, Perth

Post by Stella Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Western Australia next, which means staying up even later to watch the start of the third test.

You would think Perth is one place the Aussies should win, so what do we do?

Panic, and drop Swann, but leave Monty in? Or perhaps play four or five seamers? Has Stokes done enough? He showed plenty of attitude, so yes, he probably has.

Has Prior done enough to see him promoted to six, as Stokes isn't one..............yet? Maybe not but we have to try and win, and playing him at six, would enable us to play five bowlers again, with Monty dropping out.

Who comes in? Finn, the 90mph quickie, with a strike rate around 50? Reliable Tim? Just coming back from injury but will give 100%, won't get smacked around, and can bat a bit. Or rankin? This would be the biggest gamble imo, as he has no test experience.

My team:

Cook
Carberry
Root
Pietersen
Bell
Prior
Stokes
Broad
Swann
Finn
Anderson
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

3rd Ashes Test, Perth - Page 19 Empty Re: 3rd Ashes Test, Perth

Post by msp83 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 5:45 pm

Didn't follow much of the game today. It wasn't great from England in the morning Anderson got smashed into the recordbooks, Cook was bowled first ball, but at the end of the day, England hanging on to life, just about.
Very happy to see Ben Stokes getting a scoreHe has demonstrated a fine temperament with both ball and bat, but this has been the first substantive contribution from a promising player. If Matt Prior can manage to remember that he used to be one of the best wicketkeeper batsmen in the world, I'd have had Stokes batting 7 where he seems more suited, nevertheless a very valuable hand from Stokes, one that should give him greater confidence going forward.
Pietersen and Bell batted a lot more positively and they both managed a bit of a contribution. KP got out with not the cleverest of shot selection, but this has been an innings with the right intent and effect while it lasted from KP, wish it came an innings or 3 earlier but at least this should put KP in a better frame of mind.
Joe Root has been most successful and effective when he looked to bat with intent, when batting up the ord3r, he tends to go into a shel and then fails to find a way out of it, and yet again it happened today.
For the last couple of years, the England bowlers have often masked the failings in the batting and got them across the line. Now the batsmen are paying back, but in a different way. They are failing so comprehensively so that they attract all the attention and the bowling meanwhile has slipped very badly indeed.
As for the next test, if Broad is fit, I'd in fact keep the same side. But if Broad isn't available, I'd get Finn back in. The way his confidence took a knocking in recent times, I think Finn would benefit from some time out of the squad, but they are going to play him in the ODIs anyway, so it is better to give the experienced man with terrific potential a go if Broad isn't available, perhaps he could produce a couple of solid spells and that might just help him gain a lot of the lost confidence.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 16 Dec 2013, 5:46 pm

Evening all.

Was away for the week-end, which explains my absence, which I'm sure was a relief to most of you. As such I have a jumble of thoughts to give on 3 whole days, so I apologise in advance for what will undoubtedly turn out to be a ridiculously long post.

I have to say I was surprised briefly turning in at the end of day 2 to see quite so many fans optimistically thinking England could get parity or even a first innings lead. 180-4 chasing 380 is not really a good position, particularly when your number 6 is really a number 7 (more on that later) and your number 7 (who feasibly could bat at 6) is in dreadful form; even more so when the second new ball is due relatively soon, and your tail has hardly scored a run all series. Under those circumstances, I thought 300 would have been a good effort, and the collapse to 250 was always far more likely than getting parity or a lead.

I would like to underline just how well Australia bowled collectively in England's first innings. They hit a much more consistent length than the England bowlers managed. I know I have criticised England's (lack of) intent in the previous few innings, but I don't see how they could have done much more with what they were given. With the possible exception of Bell's somewhat negative play against Lyon. But otherwise I think Australia were simply superb on days 2 and 3 with the ball.

There has been a bit of controversy over DRS. I'm a bit bemused as to how most people seem convinced the Smith decision was entirely correct and the Root one not so, when as far as I can see the only difference is the timing of the noise on snicko, and we know that instant snicko can throw up images and sounds which aren't coordinated - part of the reason snicko takes so long usually is that to superimpose the image and the sound is a complicated process. Apart from that, neither showed anything on hotspot, or any clear deviation or change of ball rotation as the ball passed the bat; both however showed that the ball was as close as it could be to the bat if it didn't hit it.

I do fear we may be moving from being too reliant on hotspot to being too reliant on snicko. For what it's worth, I think that on balance both Smith and Root hit theirs, but given the evidence would have given both not out, or in DRS speak "benefit of doubt to the umpire", so that IMO overturning the Smith call is the more questionable decision of the two. There have been long and lengthy debates as to whether this "only overturn if there is clear evidence" attitude is healthy (I have no firm view either way) but that is how things currently stand, so I think Australia would have been justifiably aggrieved had Root's decision been overturned - certainly as far as things go it was not close to the league of Khawaja's bad luck last time.

Bell clearly hit his and knew it (and you can see a change of rotation in the ball) so we won't dwell on this for too long. I will however defend Root for reviewing it in the second innings, I don't think he was trying to get away with it, just that he hit the ground at the same time: I promise you when you hit the ground or your pad at the same time as you edge it, you don't feel the edge (this has happened to me at training, both whilst batting and keeping). We had a similar case when Warner smashed his pad in the last series (and got a thick nick at the same time).

I thought Australia's 2nd innings was somewhere between great and ridiculous in the way they said to England "we're going to smash you out the park". It could have misfired badly (imagine if they'd been rolled over for 150-200) but as it is things just seem to be going their way (how many miscues did Warner get away with before reaching 10?). Watson's dismantling of Swann (and everyone else) this morning though was sublime.

This bashing of Anderson by one particular poster seems unnecessary. Everyone sensible accepts Steyn is in a class of his own at the moment; why this should make Anderson a lesser bowler is unclear though. Over the last 4 or so years Anderson has performed consistently at a world class level everywhere he has played - including Aus and the subcontinent. He had an average series against South Africa admittedly (although IMO he bowled a lot better than his figures suggest) and has had a poor ashes this time. He is a cause for concern for me, because he seems to have lost a bit of nip (certainly compared to last time he was here); that doesn't though take away from his achievements over the last few years.

England have batted a lot better this innings obviously. Been impressed with Stokes, whose technique seems to be improving with every innings. I thought Australia's bowling was a bit below the high standards they have set themselves so far - possibly a bit of nerves with the winning line in sight.

I was not surprised to see Cook out cutting the off-spinner again. For me, that is a poor shot for him, because he doesn't use his body enough, and plays the shot very late and very quickly with mainly his hands. When there's a bit of extra bounce it will always be risky. On the other hand, absolutely no blame should be attached to him for his 2nd innings dismissal when he got the ball of the series so far. Can't see many people dealing with that first up.

Stokes has been a real bright spot, but people have to be wary of getting carried away - his bowling has looked impressive but it's not as if his returns have been outstanding or anything. He looks at home, works hard and is a real bag of energy on the field. He certainly has bags of potential, but let's not overegg the pudding just yet.

Still not sure about Root at 3 - again a poor 2nd innings really (and a really poor shot to get out). Now don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Root, but am still convinced he is a better player down the order. However, having made the call, England probably have to stick with him there a while longer.

I share guildford's reservations entirely about Carberry who continues to look limited. However at the moment he is performing better than most and there don't seem to be obvious alternatives.

Prior is going through a horror patch - his keeping (which has been really good these last few years) was poor as well (apart from the missed chances, I thought his footwork was cumbersome throughout). He is not helped by the fact that his opposite number is having possibly his best series of his career, and is certainly keeping better than ever. I would stick with Prior for this series, purely because I don't believe in Bairstow's keeping, and I don't think there is much to be gained there.

Swann I thought bowled a lot better in this game. He bowled quite nicely in the 2nd innings until Watson smashed him to all parts. I think he will bounce back.

Australia's side just looks to have the better balance, and they are playing the better cricket. Sometimes it really is that simple.

Finally, a word about KP. I was desperately disappointed at his 1st innings dismissal. As to his 2nd innings, for me it was borderline, but I can understand the thought process, and defend the shot selection. I agree with mysti's point that it is strange we automatically criticise a batsman getting out playing aggressively more than one who gets out playing defensively. Some risks are worth taking. Was this one? hitting into the wind, with a man back makes it a lot more risky, and perhaps he should have just knocked it for 1. On the other hand, the ball was there for the slot, and the game situation asking for Lyon to be attacked. It's a close one, I won't call for his head based on that shot.

Indeed people calling for him to be dropped have to also ask themselves whether the alternatives are preferable. And perhaps ask themselves whether the opposition would be more or less happy on seeing an England side without Pietersen's name in it.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Dec 2013, 5:49 pm

kingraf wrote:He's also averaging 33 for the year... Drop him? Really.

Shouldn't imagine that average is much worse than Cook's, Prior'r, Root's is it?

He played aggressively yesterday, his natural game, fair play to him. I'd rather he did that cos we weren't surviving 5 sessions for a draw

And then we have the alternatives, who are Bairstow (horribly out of place in test cricket), and Ballance (not really staked a claim)

KP is still a brilliant talent, and one of our best 5/6 batsmen easily
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 16 Dec 2013, 5:54 pm

JD - yeah, understand and share the frustrations about Pietersen's dismissals.

Just think (and this isn't aimed at you) that as regards the calls for him to be dropped, we need to be very careful that we don't end up cutting our nose to spite our face! He's not delivering as he should but I doubt there's anyone out there who could could meaningfully come in to take his place. A cuddle or a kick up the arse - take your pick - but not the chop.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Dec 2013, 5:54 pm

The only reason I'd drop KP, Prior et al is if we decide now is a watershed moment and we throw in the youngsters and start building for the future
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 Dec 2013, 5:55 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Why do you think Siddle has got him out ten times? Because he ties him up with restrictive bowling and KP cannot block it is not is his make up.

Isn't that disgraceful? That a professional sportsman is that easy to get out?

There are probably parts of all our jobs that we'd rather not do, that aren't 'in our make up', but that doesn't mean we get away with not doing them!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:03 pm

Whenever I see that Mike has commented, my production in the office decreases by like 10% due to how long it is. (would be more than 10% if my production wasn't already criminally low, I'm shocked I haven't been summoned)...

Must say I disagree on the KP situation. The man is averaging 33 in 2013, sure the question isn't wether someone can do better than he is currently doing, but wether HE can do better than his current production.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:10 pm

everyone can do better- there is just an issue with the team.

it needs freshening up.

some of our experienced lads will need a break and flower must go(no disrespect to him, i am only saying this because he has made it clear he probably will go, so that is obvious to me that he has had enough of the roll- we need a fresh outlook- we became stagnant and then we went downhill)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:17 pm

Cook - In for the long term. Will turn form around.
Carberry - Short term stop gap. Will he get the summer too? Depends on who retires post Ashes, and on his MCG/SCG performances.
Root - Long term option. Not sure where his best position is yet.
KP - 33 now, says he wants to go till 2015 WC but may re-evaluate. Gets the summer if he wants to keep going at least.
Bell - Plenty left in the tank.
Stokes - One for the future. Again, not sure on correct role.
Prior - Will get at least SL tests. Buttler breathing down his neck.
Bresnan - May be time to look at another option as third seamer depending on JA.
Broad - Time to step up and lead the attack.
Swann - Might retire. Sparcity of options. Monty a decent stop gap.
Anderson - Needs a rest. Would back him to have more to offer in the future.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:22 pm

Bresnan IMO is a must in that attack, particuarly it Jimmy is out of form.

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:33 pm

Mike Selig wrote:Evening all.

Was away for the week-end, which explains my absence, which I'm sure was a relief to most of you. As such I have a jumble of thoughts to give on 3 whole days, so I apologise in advance for what will undoubtedly turn out to be a ridiculously long post.

I have to say I was surprised briefly turning in at the end of day 2 to see quite so many fans optimistically thinking England could get parity or even a first innings lead. 180-4 chasing 380 is not really a good position, particularly when your number 6 is really a number 7 (more on that later) and your number 7 (who feasibly could bat at 6) is in dreadful form; even more so when the second new ball is due relatively soon, and your tail has hardly scored a run all series. Under those circumstances, I thought 300 would have been a good effort, and the collapse to 250 was always far more likely than getting parity or a lead.

Evening Mike,

Quite.

My only shock  Shocked is the moderated language you use. Were you really only ''surprised''? Were such thoughts no more than ''optimistic''? What has happened to the words of the young rebel we used to love and wince at? I do hope your weekends are not being spent on a Diplomacy course.  Very Happy 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:46 pm

Where there's life, there's hope.
Where there's hope, lies glory.
Where there's hope and glory, you have yourself England.

England equates to the Empire, domination, superiority, and....cricket.

English cricket needs 253 runs from 6 English batsman.
Those six English batsman will become Lions.

Pick your song, or pick all of them, and play it till the very end.

Jerusalem
Land of Hope and Glory
Living on a Prayer
Ring of Fire
Wonderwall

Be ever so positive England. You can't bat out 90 overs for a draw, but you can bat 65 overs at a good lick for victory.

I do believe that's there a world record score to be chasing down and it may just as well be England, the greatest sporting nation of them all, to hunt it down.

The spirit of '81? If England chase this down, they'll eclipse that. If England chase this down, it could very well lead to the greatest sporting comeback in our long and fabled history.

If.

Throw out the doubt. Remove the fear. Put the negativity to the back of your mind.

Remember the good days.

Cross all your fingers and toes. Believe that the six batsman left will complete the greatest innings of their careers. Hope that the fickle finger of fate turns England's way. Pray to a higher power. Miracles are possible.

Then you could just gently exhale the one word that fills every sinew and fibre of your being with courage. The one word that reminds you that impossible is nothing. The one word that sends chills down your spine.

The one word that rouses your very soul.

England.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:49 pm

Duty do you own a bulldog. And does he her have an england jumper on in this cold weather?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:51 pm

I'd just rather not give in yet.

Then I used my heart to write.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:57 pm

Duty281 wrote:England equates to the Empire, domination, superiority
And other forum members wonder why so many people hate your nation...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:58 pm

Steffan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:England equates to the Empire, domination, superiority
And other forum members wonder why so many people hate your nation...

Whoops I've riled someone!

And you should tell those other forum members that all hatred is rooted in jealously - that'll be why!

Last edited by Duty281 on Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:59 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Duty do you own a bulldog. And does he her have an england jumper on in this cold weather?
 Laugh  Laugh  clap  clap 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:04 pm

Duty281 wrote:And you should tell those other forum members that all hatred is rooted in jealously - that'll be why!
Jealous of what? 50 million people and you cant even get a person in the top 3 of SPOTY. Leave little old Wales, Scotland and Ulster to do for you

Diolch a nos da  Very Happy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:05 pm

Tell you what, we Saffers might not have "Money", or "Domination",
but we do have
a Nelson Mandela bridge
A Nelson Mandela Square
a Nelson Mandela memorial
a Nelson Mandela amphitheatre
a Nelson Mandela stadium

and that pretty much beats anything else!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:08 pm

Steffan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:And you should tell those other forum members that all hatred is rooted in jealously - that'll be why!
Jealous of what? 50 million people and you cant even get a person in the top 3 of SPOTY. Leave little old Wales, Scotland and Ulster to do for you

Diolch a nos da  Very Happy

And I take my text today from the gospel according to Joe Calzaghe:

"Whatever, I wasn't exactly holding my breath about a TV show [SPOTY] that made a winner out of Greg Rusedski, who has never won a Grand Slam tournament in his life. I really don't care."

And Duty281 concurs.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:08 pm

Most of the other members on here understand 'sporting banter' except Duty the little Englander who has to get all imperialistic even though his 'Empire' cant even give him a job he is so unemployable

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:10 pm

Duty all of us know you are a very enthusiastic follower of sports and has a hyper optimistic disposition. But perhaps it won't be a bad idea to lock up all those lines on empire and domination.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:11 pm

Steffan wrote:Most of the other members on here understand 'sporting banter' except Duty the little Englander who has to get all imperialistic even though his 'Empire' cant even give him a job he is so unemployable

Stephanie, I think more people on here would think you're more narrowly nationalistic than I am, as well as being unable to take a bit of banter. The latter being something you've proved on numerous occasions...like now for instance!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:12 pm

I was jealous of the Englishmen who made up 13.3% of the British & Irish Lions final test team

Where was the superiority and domination then?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:13 pm

msp83 wrote:Duty all of us know you are a very enthusiastic follower of sports and has a hyper optimistic disposition. But perhaps it won't be a bad idea to lock up all those lines on empire and domination.......

Hmm...well I did start with fields and fantastic writers, the land of Newton and Darwin etc. but it sounded a touch weak.

Mentioning the Empire? Much better, this game is a product of the Empire after all.

Last edited by Duty281 on Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:14 pm

Duty281 wrote:Stephanie
Very witty, original and totall non-childish  thumbsup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:14 pm

Steffan wrote:
I was jealous of the Englishmen who made up 13.3% of the British & Irish Lions final test team

Where was the superiority and domination then?

Dear oh dear, I wasn't referring to sport when I made the comment of domination.

Just a bit of banter Stephanie, can't hack it?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:14 pm

Steffan wrote:

I know you are but what am I? Laugh

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:18 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Steffan wrote:

A cnut

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:20 pm

Steffan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Steffan wrote:

A cnut

Your favourite one I believe?

Or has that changed in the last ten months? Laugh

Although, in total fairness, I don't hate Wales.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:27 pm

Well why would you want to hate any nation for?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:30 pm

Steffan wrote:Well why would you want to hate any nation for?

You said I was a Welsh hater. Not strictly true.

Good old Wales, always my second favourite country.

Oh and I'm sorry, I missed your point about the Lions. Haven't you noted that England can beat Australia at Rugby Union (thank gawd!) by themselves? No other countries assistance needed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24779192

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:49 pm

People have lost interest in cricket.....here are my observation son Eng so far:

1) Cook....Pressure of captaincy has gottent to him...like ti does to most...but too early and too severe.
If he doesn't take a break..he might break

2) Carberry....batting as well as he can

3) Trott....became history

4) KP...batting like Andy Flower

5) Bell.....batting as well as he can

6) Root.....molested by the management because of their ego and whims......moved all over the place poor kid that was sparkling at 6

7) Prior...nothing wrong...law of averages catching up

8) Broad....punching above his weight

9) Swann......ineffective........got addicted to designer pitches

10) Anderson...worth a 3rd seamer and not a lead..alos addicted to designer pitches

11) Bresnan...trundling as usual...not his fault though

12) Broad...punching above his weight

what I would do:

--Play a bowling line up of Finn, Woakes, Stokes and Broad that left arm pacer on seaming ptiches.....allrounders down to No.10

--throw Boyd/ Meaker and that left arm express pacer in rotaing with the above 4

--bring Swann as the 4th or 5th bowler on designer pitches

--Anderson should play a few high impact tests only when conditions suit him

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:50 pm

JDizzle wrote:Cook - In for the long term. Will turn form around.
Carberry - Short term stop gap. Will he get the summer too? Depends on who retires post Ashes, and on his MCG/SCG performances.
Root - Long term option. Not sure where his best position is yet.
KP - 33 now, says he wants to go till 2015 WC but may re-evaluate. Gets the summer if he wants to keep going at least.
Bell - Plenty left in the tank.
Stokes - One for the future. Again, not sure on correct role.
Prior - Will get at least SL tests. Buttler breathing down his neck.
Bresnan - May be time to look at another option as third seamer depending on JA.
Broad - Time to step up and lead the attack.
Anderson - Needs a rest. Would back him to have more to offer in the future.

Anderson with figures of 0-105 in 19 is one for the future - jeez you have got problems  Shocked 
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:53 pm

Even if/when England lose this test can we not claim it as 3-3 with two nail biting matches left?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:53 pm

Cook, Robson, Root, KP, Bell, Stokes, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson for next summer?

Last spot probably goes to Bresnan, maybe Rankin, Finn, or Mills, or possibly Panesar (if it's turning).

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:54 pm

Hibbz wrote:Even if/when England lose this test can we not claim it as 3-3 with two nail biting matches left?

Yes Hibbz, I agree with you! Fantastic idea.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:55 pm

And Aus..wow

1) Warner......100 in every game when he was allowed to complete his innings

2) Rogers...chipping in and his limitations subsidized by Warner...when Warner loses form....Roger would be made to retire

3) Watson.....inconsistent but cashed in

4) Clarke...living upto expectations and billing

5) Smith....has come of age...future captain

6) Haddin....candle flickering bright as it reaches the end and punishing Eng....what a fighter

7) Bailey....already made history inspite of being the most mediocre batsmen

8) Lyon...not great but greatly out bowled Swann and hence a success so far

9) Siddle...better than Anderson as an all condition bowler

10) Ryan......the best seamer in international cricket on current form

11) Johnson........is magic johnson for now
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:57 pm

Why's Harris any better than Mitch? Or his Steynship for that matter?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:01 pm

Duty281 wrote:Why's Harris any better than Mitch? Or his Steynship for that matter?

skiddy at 90mph....late skiddy movement...very hard to handle at that pace.......only Marshal was deadlier...of all those I have seen..in that skiddy category
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:04 pm

Tomorrow will at least be slightly interesting now. Can Stokes score a maiden test century (England's first in the series)? It is about a 95% certainty that Australia will seal the Ashes at some point tomorrow. However, I wonder how the Aussies would react if Stokes and Prior stick around and add another 100 runs or so?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:04 pm

At least after this is all over on January 7th, improbable escape aside in which case it'll be a celebratory return, the English test team can take a proper break.

No Tests until next June!

And no one in England will care very much about the next test series cause of the football.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:05 pm

Tests 18 34 3691 1743 79 7/117 9/106 22.06 2.83 46.7 2 4 0

and having made that comment on Harris i looked up his SR......46 balls / wicket  Shocked ...that's in the category of an all time good bowlers.
combined with a bowling average of 22........until last test and he has maintained that in this test also thus far
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:07 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Tomorrow will at least be slightly interesting now. Can Stokes score a maiden test century (England's first in the series)? It is about a 95% certainty that Australia will seal the Ashes at some point tomorrow. However, I wonder how the Aussies would react if Stokes and Prior stick around and add another 100 runs or so?

when not hit by Johnson missiles collapse and batting as well as they are capable.....England has demonstrated ability to get to 300ish +/- 30 runs I have noted and observed.
let's see if they can outperform their projected trajectory tomm
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:08 pm

JDizzle wrote:

JS - I hope you're mistaken about Swann's retirement being imminent. He's certainly had a very disappointing series but his track record was mightily impressive until just a few weeks ago. I would have banked on him then to go on successfully for some time yet. He's never been the biggest spinner of the ball but his craft and guile have more than made up for that and then some. For an unfriendly or neutral spinning track, he would have been pushing for top spot of all current slow bowlers in my book. Surely things haven't changed that much or was I just absurdly wrong?

I would have a separate issue with Panesar replacing him in this series. Australia have an important edge with their superior fielding. Including Panesar would be throwing in the towel to this significant aspect of the game - some may feel we still have to make this change but I would encourage consideration of all likely consequences.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:12 pm

Fielding and Economy rate are the most overrated parameters ...often used to justify bad selections.....and "justifiers" get away generally because of the "intagibility" of these parameters
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:15 pm

Found this article on cricinfo

www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/content/story/700807.html

The minute I saw this line

"Jimmy Anderson is no Dale Steyn. Dale Steyn fans will tell you about this for hours on end. As if Anderson should be ashamed of any good press he gets that isn't lavished on Steyn. Dale Steyn is a god, a myth, created from a tree struck by lightning and found in a crater in small town America. Anderson is a skilful, smart bowler. There have few men ever in the entire history of our planet as good as Dale Steyn; Anderson is not one of them."

I immediately wondered which one of you lot are taking the bedroom talk elsewhere.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:18 pm

Wow. You know a thread has deteriorated when it takes KPF to bring it back on topic and make one of the more sensible posts in the last hour or so...

If England are to learn anything from how Australia have (eventually) rebuilt (and in particular from what went on before) it is that they must resist wholesale changes, knee-jerk reactions after every test, and invest in their most talented youngsters whilst keeping some experienced players in the side to help bring them along.

Cook I think will come good, but you do have to wonder how much the captaincy is affecting his batting and vice-versa. Root needs to be stuck with in one position (I believe 6, but if England think top 3, then put him there and leave him there). I'm not sure Carberry is the solution, and I like Duty's call for Robson, but then IMO you need experience at 3 - 2 inexperienced players in the top 3 is unideal to say the least. Bell has settled nicely in the middle-order and should stay there; if England do really think Stokes can bat at 6 in tests then give him a year there, surrounded by Bell and Prior (for that reason, Prior will need to be stuck with).

Bowling wise the management have to decide whether Anderson and Swann's form is temporary, or the start of the end. If the latter, they should be ruthless and cut them, bringing in youngsters in their place - undoubtedly Finn to try and become the attack-leader, and ??? for Swann? In that scenario, Broad and Bresnan should be retained to help bring on the younger members; if they think Anderson is just carrying a niggle, and will be fine in June, then Bresnan should go and Finn (or another youngster) replace him, and be given time.

It seems crucial to me that England fill in the no 3 slot, find a replacement for Anderson to lead the attack and find a replacement for Swann over the next couple of years (by which time the latter two will almost certainly be at the end of their careers) - for that reason they need to invest in the younger players, I am thinking particularly of Steven Finn, who may fill their shoes.

They will need to decide what to do about KP also. Two of his shots this series have been unforgivable, and he doesn't seem to carry the same aura in any way. Moreover, he seems more sluggish in the field - sign of age, or carrying a niggle? In any case, if they think he can carry on until 2015 then keep him, and I'd put him up to 3 (to separate Robson and presumably Root at 4).

So, next summer:
Cook
Robson
KP
Root
Bell
Stokes
Prior (what are the alternatives?)
Broad
Swann (???)
Finn
Anderson/Bresnan (depending on evaluation of Anderson)

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:33 pm

Anderson needs a break is all.

He has played in all of England's tests bar one for the last three and a half years I believe.

He needs a top-up of energy, as he's been knackered since Trent Bridge. No pointless limited over stuff please, England selectors.

Six month break from England would do him the power of good.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:36 pm

What are we looking like for the future?

Cook
Robson
Balance
Taylor
????
Stokes
Bairstow/Buttler?
Woakes
Broad
Spinner????
Finn

Dunno about many youngsters bar them, Lees at Yorks is the only other I really have heard of. Any other youngsters coming through, especially a spinner?

Also Duty do we not tour the windies in March?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 22 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next