The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia v India: 3rd Test, Perth

+15
Mad for Chelsea
boomeranga
sirfredperry
Gregers
liverbnz
Fists of Fury
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
eirebilly
Full Credit
skyeman
msp83
Mike Selig
alfie
Biltong
Pal Joey
19 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Australia v India: 3rd Test, Perth Empty Australia v India: 3rd Test, Perth

Post by Pal Joey Thu 12 Jan 2012, 6:16 am

Friday, January 13 - Tuesday, January 17 at the WACA
Start time: 1030 WST; 1330 AEDT; 0800 IST; 0230 GMT

Australia:
1 David Warner, 2 Ed Cowan, 3 Shaun Marsh, 4 Ricky Ponting, 5 Michael Clarke (capt), 6 Michael Hussey,
7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Peter Siddle, 9 Ryan Harris, 10 Mitchell Starc, 11 Ben Hilfenhaus.

India:
1 Virender Sehwag, 2 Gautam Gambhir, 3 Rahul Dravid, 4 Sachin Tendulkar, 5 VVS Laxman, 6 Virat Kohli,
7 MS Dhoni (capt & wk), 8 Zaheer Khan, 9 Ishant Sharma, 10 Vinay Kumar, 11 Umesh Yadav.

Last edited by Linebreaker on Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:43 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Teams updated)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Australia v India: 3rd Test, Perth Empty Re: Australia v India: 3rd Test, Perth

Post by Biltong Thu 12 Jan 2012, 6:46 am

Well i think the only bit of motivation India will take into this test is the fact that they won there on their last visit.

apart from that I don't expect them to be up for this.

Australia is starting to look real confident after a series win against Sri Lanka and the series draw in SA.

They are 2-0 up and Ponting is getting back into form, Michael Clarke is simply in scintilating form and the bowlers are hitting their straps.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:04 am

Hi Biltong.

Yeah it would be nice to have those successful bowlers less injury prone. I can't remember such a run of back luck in this department.

It was funny at the press conference. Some journo tried to rekindle a bit of fire in the Indians with reference to 2008 (when the Perth Test followed the "monkeygate", "bollygate", "sydneygate" controvery) but MS Dhoni played it with a straight bat and said the feeling was very different this time. He made an odd comment which suggested they had nothing to lose - but it came out very negatively. ('when you're dead...you can't ask how can I do it better?') chin Laugh I can't help but feel India is in a vulnerable situation... but is this not, therefore, a perfect time for them to fight back? They will be desperate to come away with a win and Clarke said they will be expecting an Indian revival. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:12 am

Yeah, i am sure India will have the want to start dominantly in the first session, be it bowling or batting. But if it doesn't go their way on day one, I doubt whether they have the fortitude to keep the necessary focus.

With Clarke in the form he currently has, Ponting getting back to his best and Hussey always motivated, your middle order looks strong again.

So even if India bowls first and does get a few wickets, it is unlikely that your middle order will fold.

If you bowl first, Hilfenhaus and Siddle will only have to break the first two wickets and then it is back to pressure.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:46 am

ha, yeah... that's the game plan.

The curator has left so much grass on the pitch. Even late this afternoon it had not had a shave. Apparently, 'the doctor' had arrived and they were worried it might dry out too much. If that's the case and Australia go with 4 quicks and win the toss... then I reckon Clarke would send the opposition in.

However, if he's more conservative (he said today he 'always likes to have a spin bowler' and 'always likes to bat first if he wins the toss') then we must assume he would bat first if he wins the toss. But he seemed very wary (scared?) and also mentioned that "the beauty of this game is that you get two chances with the bat." Sounds a bit ominous doesn't it?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:52 am

I think it is more a case of not wanting to come across as too confident.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:48 am

Everyone I spoke to the night before the Boxing Day Test was certain whoever won the toss would insert the opponent . I wasn't so sure myself , but wouldn't have been surprised if Clarke had done so ... of course he batted and the rest is history.
In Sydney Dhoni should surely have sent Australia in - India couldn't have done worse Smile

Be interesting to see if either of them is in the mood for a gamble this time ... I think Dhoni has more motivation for sending Australia in , both from an attacking and a defensive view , though I frankly don't think it will matter as Australia just look much steadier at present.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said that in the light of recent series v SA and NZ ... but I do find it hard to see India coming back here. We shall see.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:24 pm

if i was Fletcher i would be tempted to give Rohit Sharma a go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:36 pm

He may well get a go. Who would he come in for? Kohli or VVS?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:37 pm

VVS IMO...kohli is the future and must be given an extended run in the side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:40 pm

Yeah, so it could be the end for Laxman. The only other alternative is to give Laxman one last dig (he scored well at the WACA last series) and say to Kohli - have a rest before Adelaide but assure him he is in the future plans. I don't think they will do that though... he needs to find some form playing.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:44 pm

if Laxman misses out in the 3rd test, his international career is over.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:48 pm

So it will be a big call either way tomorrow. Sad if Laxman's career is over - he's dug India out of holes on so many occasions... especially against us.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:49 pm

yh i agree, however it has to come to an end at some point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:58 pm

To think I saw him walk off the field for the last time.

If they fail again and Dravid, Gambhir, Sehwag don't perform - there will be even more pressure. I think India have left things too late. They should have staggered the retirements of the Big 3 (but so much pride in themselves and BCCI too hesitant to rock the boat)... but now the axe might fall instead. It could lead to another announcement at the end of this series. Then it will be an experimental side at best - like Oz in the previous couple of years.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 4:46 pm

india are just confirming what i always say...they can only play at home.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 12 Jan 2012, 4:49 pm

Not true. They drew their last series in South Africa, and won the previous one in England. In fact, they also drew in England on their previous visit there (around '02? Hussain was still captain anyway). Their record abroad is as good as most in recent times (Australia excepted - given they had a period when they basically won everything).

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 4:50 pm

Amit Mishra should have got a go in the top 6, after his performances in england :P

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 12 Jan 2012, 5:01 pm

Will be more than happy if it is not 7 on the go.
Sharma is due his chance, never did I think 6 months ago I would write this about Rohit, but he does seem a reformed man, and he always had the ability.
But from what I read in cricinfo, it seems he'll have to hold on a bit more. Never thought they'd drop VVS, particularly after he scored 66 at the SCG. I am pretty sad to see him go on this note, but I was coming round to the general view that may be its time.......
But if VVS gets a game, I hope he plays one of his typical knock against Australia.
Wouldn't mind Rohit for Virat, but going in with 4 seamers?? The Indians have to be completely out of their mind to even think that!!!. Australia at least have some bowling quality to talk about that, but I think they better not go there, but for the Indians, it has to be real stupid. Vinay doesn't have the pace to trouble good test batters, he isn't the kind who would find a lot of reverse either. He doesn't swing the ball as much as Praveen Kumar does and doesn't have PK's control. He doesn't generate a lot of bounce either. He is a good honest hardworking trier, who is good enough as a backup option.
Ashwin, if he gets his act together, can be effective on the bouncy track. Remember it was a couple of wickets from Sehwag that enabled India to win last time round, that too of balls that really turned. And of course, who has been India's 2nd most consistent batsman in the series????

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:07 pm

Apparently there will be some bite on the grass according to the curator so would make sense for India to keep Ashwin.

Maybe Australia can afford to go with the 4 quicks and then have Clarke, Hussey and even Warner bowl the slower stuff. It would be a bold move but we'll have to wait a few hours to see what Clarke will do. Could backfire if Australia bat first and the pitch conditions change later on days 3, 4 and 5 and India post a big score in their 1st innings.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:52 pm

Even though 2-0 up I would not risk leaving Lyon out even though Australia routed England in Perth with four pace men in the Ashes. Too much of a risk for me if Harris breaks down.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 12:50 am

But if he breaks down...then we are left with just Hilfy, Siddle and Lyons (+ MC, Huss, Warner) That's why playing Starc would give us extra firepower (plus the 3 part time spinners) should Rhino start limping. censored

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:01 am

Linebreaker wrote:But if he breaks down...then we are left with just Hilfy, Siddle and Lyons (+ MC, Huss, Warner) That's why playing Starc would give us extra firepower (plus the 3 part time spinners) should Rhino start limping. censored

Aye fair point, I was not thinking Doh Shame Johnson can't be with Harris again for this Perth pitch, how is Johnson by the way, as he recovered and is he still being talked about as a part of this team by fans and press. With these guys playing well and Pattinson and Cummins to return.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:10 am

All the talk this morning has been of the WACA groundstaff sinking some pi55 in the middle of the night - and standing all over the pitch having a party. I couldn't tell if the women were wearing heels... probably not. There were about 10-15 of them.

It's a 'tradition' apparently.

Some Indian lady journalist is not very impressed. Says "it's totally unacceptable".
Big deal. Get over it sweetheart! This Australia. "You're soakin' in it...." (from a dishwashing add from 30 years ago...)

Laugh guinness RedWine Yahoo clap

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:12 am

Great, the weather looks good for the whole match in Perth according to the forecast Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:14 am

Last I heard about Johnson is that he is maybe looking at IPL as a way back to regaining his fitness. Bowl 4 overs and then see how he feels. It doesn't look too promising, does it? He is definitely not going to be back for Oz in any form of the game this summer I'd say.

After that... he may still face an uphill battle to find his way back into Test match contention.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:16 am

Linebreaker wrote:All the talk this morning has been of the WACA groundstaff sinking some pi55 in the middle of the night - and standing all over the pitch having a party. I couldn't tell if the women were wearing heels... probably not. There were about 10-15 of them.

It's a 'tradition' apparently.

Some Indian lady journalist is not very impressed. Says "it's totally unacceptable".
Big deal. Get over it sweetheart! This Australia. "You're soakin' in it...." (from a dishwashing add from 30 years ago...)

Laugh guinness RedWine Yahoo clap

You are joking -right. Very Happy If not, could you imaging the Lord's groundstaff doing that Smile

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:18 am

Yes, 36 degrees in the West.

A big cyclone further north has tracked over the coast but the rain from it will cut across from the Gascoyne (+1000km north of Perth) in a south-easterly direction across to the Bight.

The bottom left hand corner of WA will be spared according to the weather experts... but some other rain may happen in a few days.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:22 am

It looked fairly relaxed... murky figures holding stubbies. One or two sitting crossed-legged on the actual pitch. The ICC has rules about access doesn't it... but the WACA (Assoc.) will have to put a stop to this particular habit I'd say. Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:28 am

Well I am looking forward to this session coming up, after that gonna be away till Mon/Tue, so will miss the rest of the match, but back home in time to see Eng/Pak. Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:39 am

That will be a very interesting series.

Pakistan are a real enigma aren't they?
I think England will prevail - but more batsmen need to contribute. They're doing better in the current PCB match though. OK
Who will be in for Bresnan - Finn or Tremlett? I like them both. Has Broad been in good form lately?

Still no news on the final lineups... c'mon! This is unbearable... Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:51 am

skyeman wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:But if he breaks down...then we are left with just Hilfy, Siddle and Lyons (+ MC, Huss, Warner) That's why playing Starc would give us extra firepower (plus the 3 part time spinners) should Rhino start limping. censored

Aye fair point, I was not thinking Doh Shame Johnson can't be with Harris again for this Perth pitch, how is Johnson by the way, as he recovered and is he still being talked about as a part of this team by fans and press. With these guys playing well and Pattinson and Cummins to return.

Have you seen this article Skye? They reckon he's 6th in line at the moment. Our bowling stocks look great... it would be nice if they could go through a few matches unscathed.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-india-2011/content/story/549086.html

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:53 am

and here's a little on last night's Pitch Party.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:01 am

Australia wins the toss and will have a bowl

Starc is in for Lyon - going for the throat. Brave decision. Good to see.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:01 am

India are also playing 4 quicks so Ashwin misses out.

MS Dhoni says they also would have bowled first if they had won the toss.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:15 am

Linebreaker wrote:
skyeman wrote:

Have you seen this article Skye? They reckon he's 6th in line at the moment. Our bowling stocks look great... it would be nice if they could go through a few matches unscathed.

Aye, it looks as though Aus is getting a good back-up of bowlers just like Eng, making the next Ashes something to really watch. Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:15 am

So VVS Laxman and Virat Kohli will both play.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:15 am

Linebreaker wrote:That will be a very interesting series.

Pakistan are a real enigma aren't they?
I think England will prevail - but more batsmen need to contribute. They're doing better in the current PCB match though. OK
Who will be in for Bresnan - Finn or Tremlett? I like them both. Has Broad been in good form lately?

Still no news on the final lineups... c'mon! This is unbearable... Smile

Sorry, doing a bit of packing.

Decision on our poll 10-7 in Tremlett's favour. I did go for Tremlett, but I am sure both would be ok. Finn with his improved pace and then the accuracy of Tremlett. Broad looked to be in good shape after the first warm-up.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:18 am

Where are you going? A holiday break?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:18 am

4 quicks each, blimey. I thought Aus might, but Ashwin being left out I thought was a ruse.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:19 am

No worse luck, just to Glasgow Sad

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:20 am

Love the local welcome from the tribe. clap

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:22 am

Ashwin 2nd best Indian scorer says all.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:22 am

How long does it take to travel from Isle of Skye to Glasgow?
You have a boat crossing then you drive or go by rail?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:26 am

About 5 hours at 60mph and at 90mph in certain places. All by road.

Pig of a drive with some dodgy roads.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:29 am

Here they go Very Happy and a sell-out.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:36 am

Some of Mum's relatives lived on Raasay - Ross family.

There's some story about Mary Queen of Scots who stayed in hiding with some family members (not sure if it was Raasay... it was probably on the West Coast) when the Scottish nobility who were aligned with England (and after the reward offered) were after her.

Apparently they set fire to the house but she managed to get on a horse and when she was fleeing said to the host: "Don't worry... I'll buy you a new house!" and off she galloped. However, she was captured not long after and the rest is history.

The cracks on this pitch will be interesting. Days 4 and 5 could be a nightmare. Australia need to keep India to a low total if possible.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:39 am

Yeah, it's good to see the fans there in numbers. Tomorrow also a sell-out.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:46 am

Hilfy got Sehwag again Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:46 am

Sehwag pushes at a swinging delivery from Hilfenhaus... caught by Ponting at 2nd slip. Another horror start for him...

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next