The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robin Copeland set to join Munster next summer?

+12
geoff998rugby
Sin é
SecretFly
The Saint
LeinsterFan4life
VinceWLB
Jhamer25
Taffineastbourne
Golden
profitius
rodders
GunsGerms
16 posters

Go down

Robin Copeland set to join Munster next summer? Empty Robin Copeland set to join Munster next summer?

Post by GunsGerms Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:17 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-star-robin-copeland-6386236

Reports from Wales online suggest that Robin Copeland has already agreed to join Munster in the summer from the Cardiff Blues. Good news for him as it would certainly boost his chances of one day getting Ireland caps.

Loss for Cardiff? Gain for Munster?

One thing is for sure, since being dropped from the Leinster academy his rise from obscurity has been impressive:

Leinster academy->St Marys->Rotherham->Cardiff blues->Munster(?)

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Robin Copeland set to join Munster next summer? Empty Re: Robin Copeland set to join Munster next summer?

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:22 am

The Blues could potentially lose Warburton and Halfpenny along with Copeland and Bradley Davies at the end of the season, not looking good right now.

Back to top Go down

Robin Copeland set to join Munster next summer? Empty Re: Robin Copeland set to join Munster next summer?

Post by GunsGerms Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:25 am

IronMike wrote:The Blues could potentially lose Warburton and Halfpenny along with Copeland and Bradley Davies at the end of the season, not looking good right now.

Its a real pity because right now the Blues are good enough to beat European heavyweights like Toulon but might struggle if the exodus continues.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:08 am

Great signing.

Heaslip is in fantastic form but behind him there are not a lot of options at 8 - Wilson and Coughlan are playing well but are well into their 30's so he could have a big future for Ireland, and certainly strengthens Munster's back row.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:19 am

Is Copeland any good?
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:23 am

profitius wrote:Is Copeland any good?

MOTM in Cardiff Blues win v Toulon this year. Blues fans seem to like him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:28 am

He played very well against Ulster too (or did I dream that one?) - he's been the standout player in the few occasions I've watched the Blues recently.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:37 am

Is he not mainly a 6? I dont think he'd be in Munster first choice back row anyway, with POM, TOD and Stander/Coughlan

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:41 am

Golden wrote:Is he not mainly a 6? I dont think he'd be in Munster first choice back row anyway, with POM, TOD and Stander/Coughlan

You never know. In any case guys Irish qualified players that arent first choice often get more game time than their more established competition.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:58 am

Better than Ruddock junior Wink 

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:18 am

Real shame, ha been consistently the bets Blues player this year. Real big loss, i hope you can keep hold of Bradley, Sam and Leigh though but it all looks very unlikely.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:07 am

There are tons of quality backrowers at Munster, he should join Connacht instead.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:17 am

With Copeland signing it means Munster will let a few players leave. It looks like Lualala is leaving and I expect a few backs and backrows to go too.

Taffineastbourne wrote:
Better than Ruddock junior Wink 

Ruddock junior could be nailing down the number 6 jersey for Leinster. Been impressive lately!
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:54 am

By Ruddock junior I think he means Ciaran Ruddock Smile

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:55 am

He's a great player. He should only join Munster if he can be guaranteed a shot at the Ireland team, because he's more than good enough and that is where his heart is set.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:11 am

The Saint wrote:He's a great player. He should only join Munster if he can be guaranteed a shot at the Ireland team, because he's more than good enough and that is where his heart is set.

Nobody can be guaranteed a shot.  But playing in Munster would be be enough of an honour for now surely?  But it's a pity that he comes to them (if true) in the middle of the fall-out from the HEC crap.  That's a sour taste as nobody wants to see Welsh sides lose and lose players.  Not good for them or the Pro12.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:14 am

Copeland has achieved what he set out to do and that was to join an Irish province. That is the reason he went to Cardiff instead of going to an AP side so he could be watched more closely by the provinces.

Very smart on his part.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:21 am

Seems he played in the back row with Sean Dougall in Rotherham for a season.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:48 pm

The Saint wrote:He's a great player. He should only join Munster if he can be guaranteed a shot at the Ireland team, because he's more than good enough and that is where his heart is set.

He has a shot the same as everybody else but he will have to earn selection first
Not least by getting into the Munster team

My heart was set on playing for Ireland doesn't mean I deserved a shot

Bottom line - no guarantees other than a chance to prove himself

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Official now, Regions can't even keep their "non Welsh" star, sad.

That said i don't think he is that good, he would need to improve his rucking and particularly his tackling if he wants to get much game time at Munster.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:32 am

Is he replacing Stander?  I think his contract is finished with Munster after this season.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:33 am

Doesn't have to seeing as Copeland is IQ

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:39 am

I know that, but I am just wondering why Munster would sign Copeland when they have an abundance of 8s. Coughlan, O'Mahony, Stander and Butler. With Stander being a fantastic talent there.  Maybe he is going to leave after his contract is up this season.

Clearly O'Mahony is being considered primarily as a 6 now too.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:46 am

Something strange up with Stander - despite a storming start for Munster he's never quite established himself. A bit of a waste really.

I think this is a very good signing. Coughlan is 33 and Copeland has every oportuntity of nailing a starting spot in the Munster back row from next season.

He's a far better player than O'Mahoney imo and has been a one man tour de force for the Blues at times this season.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:44 am

Yeah, whilst saying 'hes been the blues best player' isnt a ringing endorsement by any means he has been the only consistent provider of gainline success we've had since Molitkia/Rush were in our back row in their prime.

Very, very sad to see him go, very effective ball in hand. In a back row with POM and an other(preferably someone good on the deck) he'll do very well.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:58 am

Copeland can play at 6 as well.

POM will miss big tracks of the season
Coughlan is 33
Is Butler good enough?
Stander has never establish himself

When you look at their entire cover for 6/8 are they really top heavy?

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:44 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I know that, but I am just wondering why Munster would sign Copeland when they have an abundance of 8s. Coughlan, O'Mahony, Stander and Butler. With Stander being a fantastic talent there.  Maybe he is going to leave after his contract is up this season.

Clearly O'Mahony is being considered primarily as a 6 now too.

Theres an abundance of backrows in general. I presume they're going to let a few go, could be as many as 3 or 4.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:22 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:

He has a shot the same as everybody else but he will have to earn selection first
Not least by getting into the Munster team

My heart was set on playing for Ireland doesn't mean I deserved a shot

Bottom line - no guarantees other than a chance to prove himself

Haha fair. I guess he'll get his shot at Provincial rugby then. From what I've seen he's good enough to get in the Munster team.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:53 pm

He won't replace POM and he won't replace TOD as a 7 so its going to be tough.
He has to get ahead of both Coughlan and Stander

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:01 pm

Is stander going to be kept on. Penney doesn't seem to be a big fan (basing on selections). If we have to cut our cloth and go half-inching from other provinces then the likes of him (unlikely) or Heenan would go down a treat

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:44 am

His brother on the move

Robin Copeland set to join Munster next summer? 1472871_757735210906994_951455601_n

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Another man of the match performance away to Glasgow last night. Blues are going to miss him.

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down