The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The off-season music & tennis/sports photo thread...

+5
lags72
Holymiky
hawkeye
HM Murdock
lydian
9 posters

Go down

The off-season music & tennis/sports photo thread... Empty The off-season music & tennis/sports photo thread...

Post by lydian Sat 14 Dec 2013, 7:59 pm

Ok, there's not much tennis going on, so...it's time for something completely different to quote MP'sFC.

This is my new music squeeze, such a wonderful vibe & what a singer (best new rock singer in a long long time!)
...check 'em out - RIVAL SONS - now this is proper X Factor stuff!

Fave tennis pic of the moment - lest we forget the beauty of his movement & SHBH, stunning photo.
Will we ever see a better tennis photo?
The off-season music & tennis/sports photo thread... Image11

Any music or tennis/sport pic links to post...? Come on....somebody liven the place up!  devil 
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

The off-season music & tennis/sports photo thread... Empty Re: The off-season music & tennis/sports photo thread...

Post by HM Murdock Sat 14 Dec 2013, 8:34 pm

I'm listening to this:

I love the Federer picture you posted but I also love these:
The off-season music & tennis/sports photo thread... 2011-07-01_d_bpg-horizontal
The off-season music & tennis/sports photo thread... 1Jv0eABagQcx8VWOjZxHk1_4

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

The off-season music & tennis/sports photo thread... Empty Re: The off-season music & tennis/sports photo thread...

Post by lydian Sat 14 Dec 2013, 8:45 pm

Love both those guys...Myles Kennedy has a fab voice, loved him in The Mayfield Four & Alter Bridge ("Blackbird"...wow). He's actually a very good guitar player too...including the first solo on Blackbird track. I have the exact same guitar Slash is playing there...Sunburst Les Paul. First saw him in 1990 at Monsters of Rock when GnR were new and he's done little wrong since. Love the solo project between Slash/Kennedy.

Great pics...you can now buy a customised Head Radical Graphene Djokovic racquet...$400 though...
http://www.tennis.com/gear/2013/12/shaping-speed-head-launches-custom-made/49934/

HMM, my son is a massive Djokovic fan and see saw him play at O2. His fave bit was when we watched him warming up in an empty O2 from 15ft away...his movement and ball striking is unreal. Here's a pic for proof!

The off-season music & tennis/sports photo thread... Image12
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 14 Dec 2013, 9:03 pm

Lydian, in teaming up with Kennedy, Slash has got another vocalist in a similar register to Axl Rose. It's strange how a higher vocal seems to suit his music! I don't think Kennedy quite has Rose's knack for a chorus but he's a talented guy. I'm not familiar with Alter Bridge but I'll check 'Blackbird' out. The main riff on the song I put up, 'Anastasia', has been keeping me busy for a while now!

As for your Novak pic, wow, what a view! Has getting that view and watching that closely changed your opinion of him at all? And what session were you at?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 14 Dec 2013, 9:17 pm

lydian. Love, love the Fed pic. Beautiful! What match was it from? I had a similar pic of a Federer backhand taken at RG a few years ago as a sceen saver.

HM Murdoch. I like the first pic you posted of Djokovic (it shows he has potential) not so much the second one (it shows he still has a lot to learn)  Wink

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 14 Dec 2013, 9:28 pm

HE, I thought the second picture was a model of dignity and decorum! No clothing has been ripped, no wigs have been donned, no ball kids recruited for a dance routine... Wink

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 14 Dec 2013, 9:45 pm

Here's 'Blackbird' HMM - amazing song/lyrics & singing (its solo is voted best ever by Guitarist magazine - 1st part is by Myles, 2nd by Mark Tremonti who is fantastic guitar player - loved him from Creed days).

Guitarist poll:
The off-season music & tennis/sports photo thread... Image13

HMM - yes I'm a Djokovic fan, always have been a mild one but I have warmed to the guy more this year...and having seen him live his talent is undeniable.

HE - it's from RG2006 and its vs. Alejandro Falla. What a tennis photo...everything in the photo is amazing, the red sunlight clay foreground, the dark skies behind and the extension on Federer's follow through is unreal. Staggering photo.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 14 Dec 2013, 10:14 pm

Actually for me, best pic of 2013 is:

The off-season music & tennis/sports photo thread... Image14

Given the all-clear and in practice for his first event back @ Brisbane 2014 with Fleming (with protected ranking of 29 for 12 events).

Very Happy 
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 14 Dec 2013, 10:24 pm

Thanks Lydian, that really is a nice solo. I see Eruption still gets the near the top I these polls! That must be for influence because I don't think it's even the best Van Halen solo! (I'd say 'Right Now' is my favourite of his).

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 14 Dec 2013, 10:35 pm

Yeah, it's just a lot of finger tapping (and he learnt a lot of that from a guy called George Lynch).

My fave Eddie solo (and I'm a massive VH fan) is without doubt 'House of Pain' last track on 1984...its essentially 2 mins long, going from 1:25 to end of song....there's loads of different bits to it and the screaming pinch harmonics are to die for....!!! That light-dimmer derived guitar tone is so unique, there's only one Eddie!

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 14 Dec 2013, 10:52 pm

This one starts with playing a double guitar cross-armed... and gets progressively more crazy! Once we get to 4:15 I don't even know what's going on anymore.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 14 Dec 2013, 11:05 pm

Haha....it's almost a comedy sketch except I know Batio is capable of that stuff...unbelievable picking techniques although a little clinical for me. Do you know this guy...I think he's an awesome guitarist...Guthrie Govan, and British too. Amazing legato.

Speaking of funk, always loved this ridiculous ability from a 16 year old Korean girl...wouldn't you want to be able to play like this...?

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 14 Dec 2013, 11:18 pm

I saw Guthrie Govan playing in a pub about 15 years ago! He lives/lived about 10 miles away from me (he's an Essex-ite!). Sickeningly talented.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 14 Dec 2013, 11:23 pm

Double cool! OK

Agree about the talent, maybe the most talented guitarist I've actually seen due to the sheer range of styles he's mastered to a virtuoso level. The video where he impersonates the great guitarists one after the other is ridiculous.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Mon 16 Dec 2013, 12:04 am

Hi all,

So i was wondering as it's the off season at the moment, what Grand Slams and Tournaments you are all looking forward to the most in 2014 and who you think will win them?

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 17 Dec 2013, 9:58 am

lydian wrote:

HE - it's from RG2006 and its vs. Alejandro Falla. What a tennis photo...everything in the photo is amazing, the red sunlight clay foreground, the dark skies behind and the extension on Federer's follow through is unreal. Staggering photo.

Couldn't agree more as to just how staggeringly good this Federer photo is.

So good that it prompted me to post for the first time in several weeks.

The guy who never seems to be caught looking awkward on a tennis court somehow contrives to appear perfectly balanced even when he has both feet off the ground .......   Erm 

Not just the best tennis photo I have seen but perhaps one of the best of ANY sport.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 17 Dec 2013, 10:25 am

I always remember this picture from a book I read about 40 years ago

The off-season music & tennis/sports photo thread... Henry_and_richard

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2012/4/8/2932519/recalling-the-rockets-greatest-goal

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 18 Dec 2013, 8:39 pm

Lags  OK 

Completely agree, it's THE perfect sporting picture.

There is an effortless and energy to the shotmaking and the brooding skies above add to the atmosphere perfectly.

They could try to capture another like this for 50 years and still fail...

For all my Nadal support I will truly miss Federer when he's gone.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 22 Dec 2013, 3:41 pm

lydian wrote:For all my Nadal support I will truly miss Federer when he's gone.

Quite agree, Lydian. They have provided a contradictory, yet complimentary yin-yang of Tennis. Many such personalities over the years have adorned the pages of Tennis History. We are grateful for being part of and witness to such history.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 23 Dec 2013, 3:57 pm

It's always good to see such great players at the top of their game. Even the guy down at #126 has pumped a lifetime of dedication into the sport. We tend to focus on ~5 players but lest we forget there can be no tour without the other 995 or so. Which leads to another potential thread but I'll list here - what would you like to see different on 606 Tennis?

1. More discussion around players outside the top 10!

Pls add to the list....
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 25 Dec 2013, 4:19 pm

I would love to see a Challengers Circuit discussion. WTA would also be good. And despite McEnroe's dislike for current Doubles, at least an annual Doubles thread (with less derision and scorn poured on the size of derrieres). Run

Merry XMas. rose

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 25 Dec 2013, 6:19 pm

Challengers circuit is a good discussion - and for starters the prize money is woeful.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 25 Dec 2013, 6:26 pm

Federer tweeted a day ago that he is becoming a baby Daddy, again. Quite happy for him. Not quite in line with the above posts, but with the quiet state of the board, it simply couldn't have its own thread.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 25 Dec 2013, 6:32 pm

Good news for Fed, and not unwise considering presumably he's going to have more and more time to spend with Baby Fed's in future (no, not Dimitrov).
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 26 Dec 2013, 7:32 am

Lets hope its a boy!
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down