The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Junior tennis sports personalities

+3
Mad for Chelsea
Josiah Maiestas
newballs
7 posters

Go down

Junior tennis sports personalities Empty Junior tennis sports personalities

Post by newballs Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:32 pm

Interesting shortlist for the Young Sports Personality of the Year award with two young British tennis players on it. Liam Broady the Wimbledon junior finalist and Laura Robson who reached the ladies second round and gave Sharapova a run for her money. Both very deserving candidates in their own ways.

So far so good. But, hey! Wait a minute! Aren't we forgetting someone here? Wimbledon might get all the TV coverage but didn't someone else manage to win a junior grand slam over in the US or is that not that important in the grand scheme of things?

Last time I checked Ollie Golding was still a junior and the first British boy to win a junior slam since a certain Andy Murray in the same, obviously meaningless, event.

Nothing wrong with the two who made the shortlist but absolutely everything wrong with the decision making behind the one who didn't. Shame on the LTA, the BBC and everyone else involved in this slight.

Last edited by newballs on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrections)

newballs

Back to top Go down

Junior tennis sports personalities Empty Re: Junior tennis sports personalities

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:36 pm

It's typical of the boffins making these decisions, that they don't even rate the USO in tennis terms (nothing should ever be on par with Wimbledon *sips tea*.) Clueless people making decisions still.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:18 pm

I must say I was surprised to see Liam Broady ahead of Oliver Golding in there, typical BBC I guess, only really follow the tennis for two weeks of the year. Robson I agree with, for the first time she looked like she belonged on the big stage.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:29 pm

It probably is to Ollie Golding's advantage not to have the spotlight turned on him too soon, but I agree it does seem to be a bizarre omission by the BBC.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:40 pm

I'm actually interested in who draws up the shortlist. Would it be a a committee mainly staffed by BBC sports journalists or would they take guidance from the different sporting governing bodies?

It's either an oversight or a huge slight. Both Broady and Golding could have made the list. Three tennis players might seem one too many but how on earth can you leave off the US Junior title holder?

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:44 pm

Take it because Sky covered the event, the BBC looked favourably in Broady's direction.

What hand shufflers!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:03 pm

legend I am really enjoying your various euphemisms Laugh

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:28 pm

What is the age criteria? Is Golding too old at 18?? Only possible reason I can think of for this truly ridiculous oversight.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:58 pm

That's a good point carrie - maybe that's it and it is for under 17s or something. I would have thought that an event won in 2011 should qualify Golding for JSPOTY even so.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:25 pm

Couldn't find any criteria for it TP so couldn't confirm either way. Surely that can be the only reason - it is criminal otherwise.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:07 pm

He's actually allowed to play junior U18 tennis until the end of this year. If he was still at school he would be doing his A levels this year as turned 18 in September. So he has a junior ITF ranking and can still play in their events for the rest of the year.

The BBC will no doubt (if they actually care0 dredge up some ruling or other to support their stance. Wouldn't it be great though if, for once, they held up their hands, said "sorry for the man sausage-up" and did something about it?

I won't be holding my breath on this one but honestly wonder what planet some of these muppets inhabit. After all, when British tennis players underachieve we are perhaps all too willing to have a go at them. And when they perform? Surely credit where credit is due.

Rant over.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:08 pm

The BBC website actually states:

"This will be awarded to the outstanding young sportsperson aged 16 or under on 1 January 2011, selected from nominations made to the BBC and by sports governing bodies via the Youth Sport Trust. Nominations close on Monday 14th November 2011."

So this means that Golding is too old for the award despite still being a junior in tennis terms. Robson and Broady only make it by a matter of days.

I assume Tom Daley will win it again, although I'd quite like it to go to either the boxer or the cycling girl.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Thanks DJ - I was sure that must be the reason but couldn't find the evidence.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:42 pm

djlovesyou I stand corrected so thanks for the info.

Broady and Robson were indeed both born in Jan 1994 so are a few months younger than Golding hence making the cutoff. It does still seem pretty arbritary though and excludes early born kids of the same school year (in Oliver's case) so you could argue it's unfair.

I look forward to his nomination for the the shortlist of the adult version of the competition!

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:58 pm

They feel sorry for Broady losing on home soil to an irksome Aussie, of course theyll let him win this to make up for the tragedy..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:12 am

You could say it's unfair, but they have to have a cutoff somewhere.

It doesn't matter if they use school years or calender years, there's always going to be people missing out by a matter of days or weeks.

I certainly doubt Broady will win..Robson didn't even win when she won Junior Wimbledon as a 14 year old.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down