The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scandalous Decison Of The ITF To Select Djokovic Over Nadal As Their World Champion

+13
laverfan
Haddie-nuff
lydian
Henman Bill
kingraf
socal1976
Danny_1982
Jeremy_Kyle
HM Murdock
YvonneT
R!skysports
JuliusHMarx
hawkeye
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scandalous Decison Of The ITF To Select Djokovic Over Nadal As Their World Champion - Page 2 Empty Scandalous Decison Of The ITF To Select Djokovic Over Nadal As Their World Champion

Post by hawkeye Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:02 am

First topic message reminder :

Shocked 

http://www.itftennis.com/news/163361.aspx

For once I agree with Neil if they invite me to dinner I will turn them down...

I would reject an invitation to the ITF world champions dinner if I was on the invitation list any more

https://twitter.com/NeilHarmanTimes

I am speechless!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Scandalous Decison Of The ITF To Select Djokovic Over Nadal As Their World Champion - Page 2 Empty Re: Scandalous Decison Of The ITF To Select Djokovic Over Nadal As Their World Champion

Post by antonico Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:36 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
antonico wrote:In 2013, Nadal and Djokovic faced each other in two Majors. Nadal won them both. The points to points ratio is irrelevant.
It's relevant for this award. Do try to keep up.

Oh pardon me. And here I thought such awards were given out based on what actually happens on the court. Especially relative to each other. Who knew that the ITF thought it would defend itself by declaring the importance of its tournaments, yet claim what happens in those tournaments is open to conjecture.

antonico

Back to top Go down

Scandalous Decison Of The ITF To Select Djokovic Over Nadal As Their World Champion - Page 2 Empty Re: Scandalous Decison Of The ITF To Select Djokovic Over Nadal As Their World Champion

Post by Danny_1982 Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:46 am

Antonico - what do you think should be done?

Should the ITF's criteria - which they've had in place for years - be changed so that Nadal wins?

In terms of who has been the best player this year, there is already a structure to recognise that. The rankings.

For the life of me I can't see why people are so bothered by this.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:03 am

I doubt that it bothers Rafa one iota to be honest

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:39 am

Danny, there is a certain breed of fan who simply refuses to accept, or even understand, anything in which their particular favourite does not come out on top.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:57 am

HM Murdoch wrote:Danny, there is a certain breed of fan who simply refuses to accept, or even understand, anything in which their particular favourite does not come out on top.

I still have Henman down as the "JHM World Champion" 1998 - 2001.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:35 am

Scandalous ????

What part of this statement is scandalous....

"Novak Djokovic narrowly edges out Rafael Nadal to become Men’s World Champion thanks to his consistency at the Grand Slam tournaments and year-end performances. The 26-year-old won his third successive Australian Open title, and was a finalist at Wimbledon and the US Open and a semifinalist at Roland Garros. He won seven titles during the year, including the ATP World Tour Finals, and was unbeaten in seven singles rubbers as Serbia reached the Davis Cup Final."

Seems cut and dried even though the ITF's rhetoric of "narrowly edges" is kind to players like Nadal, who had missed out large chunks of the tour down in South America for his personal comeback tour and hardly participated in the DC at all.

Is it really that big a deal, or just another pointless bit of silverware, another function to waste thousands on, another slap back party excuse for a wall urination and another conduit to further inflate a players ego beyond acceptability ?

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:51 am

Good Lord if thats not an overreaction I dont know  what is..
If its so unimportant (as it is to most of us)  Isn´t your last paragraph somewhat ott.?? Erm  .

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:34 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:Good Lord if thats not an overreaction I dont know  what is..
If its so unimportant (as it is to most of us)  Isn´t your last paragraph somewhat ott.?? Erm  .

No, not in my opinion, although you have in a way ott'd my ott remark and ott'd my post to ott status.

Rather ott all round really ? <raspberrys>

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by antonico Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:09 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Danny, there is a certain breed of fan who simply refuses to accept, or even understand, anything in which their particular favourite does not come out on top.

I agree. There's far too much e-Djok-u-lating on this message board over Novak Djokovic.  There's no difficulty seeing and understanding that  Rolling Eyes

antonico

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:25 pm

JubbaIsle wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:Good Lord if thats not an overreaction I dont know  what is..

No, not in my opinion, although you have in a way ott'd my ott remark and ott'd my post to ott status.

Rather ott all round really ? <raspberrys>

Maybe I could have some of whatever your on   raspberry to u 2

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Breaking news! The ITF have just awarded their 2013 French Open to Djokovic. Based on their own formula (service speed, height over the net and depth of shot) Djokovic "narrowly edges" the title from Nadal.

nb. the use of the phrase "narrowly edges" I believe was inserted to be kind to Nadal and his fans who otherwise might get over emotional about this result as the score quite clearly gave the trophy to Djokovic.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:53 pm

They are now in the process of working out who won the US Open and Wimbledon  Very Happy (the winner of the AO was Djokovic)

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:12 pm

HE - I must confess that made me smile...

But tell me this, do you really care that Novak won this fairly irrelevant title? Rafa won 2 slams and finished number 1, so I'm confused why you give a rats ass?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:13 pm

HE
I think Ill have some of whatever your on as well.
You must have all started Christmas early  Scandalous Decison Of The ITF To Select Djokovic Over Nadal As Their World Champion - Page 2 3602195817 Scandalous Decison Of The ITF To Select Djokovic Over Nadal As Their World Champion - Page 2 3602195817

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Danny I think Rafa was too busy picking up his Champion of Champions Trophy  from L´Equipe to give a tinkers cuss frankly..
I think that meant more to him

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Danny_ Ha ha! I'm certainly not loosing sleep over it but when such an important organization in tennis act in a ridiculous way its worth pointing it out

HN. I'm afraid it's just porridge and a hot lemon drink for flu but your welcome  Scandalous Decison Of The ITF To Select Djokovic Over Nadal As Their World Champion - Page 2 3602195817 Scandalous Decison Of The ITF To Select Djokovic Over Nadal As Their World Champion - Page 2 3602195817 Scandalous Decison Of The ITF To Select Djokovic Over Nadal As Their World Champion - Page 2 3602195817

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:43 pm

You're either misunderstanding or ignoring the key point in all this HE. They're not acting in any way. They have a longstanding criteria to select their winner. There was no conscious decision by any individual here. It isn't a choice.

.... Oh forget it. I can't be bothered with this one anymore.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:56 pm

hawkeye wrote:Breaking news! The ITF have just awarded their 2013 French Open to Djokovic. Based on their own formula (service speed, height over the net and depth of shot) Djokovic "narrowly edges" the title from Nadal.
A nice gesture but there really is no need.

Once someone is Champion of the World™, there is no need for titles from a single country such as France.

There are suggestions however, that Novak should also have won the Nobel Prize for Medicine, the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, and the Eastleigh By-Election.

The ITF are reviewing the situation.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:50 pm

To anyone concerned or confused by my rant about this award.....

I dont understand the relevance of an award given to somebody who,

A/ Hasn't competed in anything to win it.
B/ Won't go down in history with it as an important part of their CV.
C/ Hardly anyone on earth has heard of it, unless you follow tennis very closely.
D/ The criteria for awarding the title of World Champion is based on statistics, so no nailbiting finish there.
E/ Its about as interesting as getting an award for being the most consistent player on tour, which means winning the most tournies on tour, which means yada yada yada yawn, who cares really.

Sorry if I mislead anyone, I am the boards Humbug after all.

Happy Christmas to Everyone and a Happy New Year to you all. <happysantaclaushead>

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2