The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Qatar/Brisbane/Chennai

+24
Silver
quietplease
The Special Juan
Johnyjeep
Jahu
shivfan
TopoftheChops
CaledonianCraig
kingraf
banbrotam
sirfredperry
Jeremy_Kyle
YvonneT
Danny_1982
HM Murdock
Haddie-nuff
LuvSports!
JuliusHMarx
Henman Bill
Born Slippy
lydian
hawkeye
laverfan
summerblues
28 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Qatar/Brisbane/Chennai - Page 2 Empty Qatar/Brisbane/Chennai

Post by summerblues Sat 28 Dec 2013, 3:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Finally, the wait is over.  The new tennis season is starting tomorrow in Brisbane, with Qatar and Chennai joining in on Monday.

Djokovic will not play until Melbourne, but Rafa, David and Andy are all in action in Qatar.  Other notables include Berdych, Davydenko, Gasquet, Gulbis and Monfils.

In Brisbane, Federer is the No 1 seed (he should enjoy it, there may not be many more tournaments like that).  Overall, the field is much weaker than in Qatar, with Nishikori seeded at No 2 and Simon at No 3.  Still, there are some interesting players to watch.  The field includes Grigorov, Duckworth and Kyrgios, as well as Cilic.

Chennai has the weakest field, with Wawrinka and Youzhny seeded at #1 and #2.  Vasek Pospisil (an ethnic Czech from Canada) and Jiri Vesely (an ethnic Czech from the Czech Republic) being the two youngsters to watch there.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Qatar/Brisbane/Chennai - Page 2 Empty Re: Qatar/Brisbane/Chennai

Post by YvonneT Tue 31 Dec 2013, 9:04 pm

lydian wrote:Re: the top 50 H2H, Rafa will play Mayer tomorrow so that will change...in Mayer's favour if Rafa plays like that again! Was nice to Gasquet's SHBH in operation again too.
Murray plays Mayer, Rafa faces Kamke - it's their first meeting so I suppose Kamke could win and then make a run up the rankings to top 50 to replace Rosol.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Tue 31 Dec 2013, 9:12 pm

I quite like Rosol btw. His run to his first title last year just after his father died was a nice human story. His normal level isn't that great, but it's the potential to put together a run based on aggressive tennis that makes him interesting.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 01 Jan 2014, 9:58 am

lydian wrote:HE, I really think you're reading far too much into the mental side. Unsettled, spooked, etc?

I don't think you should ever underestimate the mental side. Of course Rafa should beat Rosol. Rafa is one of the all time greats and Rosol has one ATP title to his name. Rosols forehands and backhands are not a match to Rafa's but he has a win over him. Rosol was using all kinds of things other than backhands and forehands to gain an advantage. Maybe you were more focused on Rafa and didn't notice? In addition to some of the things I mentioned he also took a toilet break before serving to stay in the first set at 2-5 and kept re doing his laces at crucial times. Banging his racquet on the floor as Rafa went to serve was interference however you look at it as if someone in the audience did a similar thing they would have been called out for it.

Thinking about it I sort of have some sympathy for Rosol. It must be really tough being a pro player who is.... how shall I put it a bit macho with a bit of an ego, someone who wants to be top dog but is involved in a sport were you lose most of the time. In tennis not many players win more matches than they lose. How does someone with those characteristics come to terms with constantly being beaten? It could really be damaging to some and yet to have any chance of succeeding you must possess some of these very characteristics (hate to lose etc). Tennis is a tough sport.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 01 Jan 2014, 10:30 am

hawkeye wrote:
lydian wrote:HE, I really think you're reading far too much into the mental side. Unsettled, spooked, etc?

I don't think you should ever underestimate the mental side. Of course Rafa should beat Rosol. Rafa is one of the all time greats and Rosol has one ATP title to his name. Rosols forehands and backhands are not a match to Rafa's but he has a win over him. Rosol was using all kinds of things other than backhands and forehands to gain an advantage. Maybe you were more focused on Rafa and didn't notice? In addition to some of the things I mentioned he also took a toilet break before serving to stay in the first set at 2-5 and kept re doing his laces at crucial times. Banging his racquet on the floor as Rafa went to serve was interference however you look at it as if someone in the audience did a similar thing they would have been called out for it.

Thinking about it I sort of have some sympathy for Rosol. It must be really tough being a pro player who is.... how shall I put it a bit macho with a bit of an ego, someone who wants to be top dog but is involved in a sport were you lose most of the time. In tennis not many players win more matches than they lose. How does someone with those characteristics come to terms with constantly being beaten? It could really be damaging to some and yet to have any chance of succeeding you must possess some of these very characteristics (hate to lose etc). Tennis is a tough sport.

HE the Sport is littered  with players like Rosol.. they reach a certain standard and never progress any further and some are so very much better . As Lydian said journeymen they earn a very comfortable living out of an occasional win against a top player. Rosol is no different to people like Karlovic .. who frankly I think is a better player than Rosol. Who doesn´t find the need to smash rackets and go off for conveniently timed toilet breaks.
Yes Rosol has the a the well publicised  reputation of being the man who brought the great Nadal (pardon the pun) to his knees at Wimbledon.. but that is all he will be remembered for and he is only spotlighted because of that win.. Not many of us get that lucky break twice in our life..

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Wed 01 Jan 2014, 10:54 am

I can't believe what I am reading here; Rosol severely reprimended for doing what? A few Nadal's tricks......against Nadal!!  

Rosol showing the way to counter the king of gamesmanship, take note others too.

And for my vote to Hawky moderetor, well this is officially cancelled pfftttt
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 01 Jan 2014, 11:14 am

Since when has Rafa banged his racquet on the floor when his oponent is about to serve. When was the last time Rafa took a toilet break after one set... please can you quote the match I would be most interested to hear.

A point of note if Rafa is playing Doubles with Francisco Roig will he be fined for on court coaching  Very Happy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 01 Jan 2014, 11:25 am

I see that Fed has won 4 and 2 against Nieminen who can sometimes be an awkward opponent. Anyone see the match ? Fed I gather is trying out a new version of the larger racquet. Good start to the year from him. Doubt whether in 2011 that we reckoned we would still be following his matches into 2014.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 01 Jan 2014, 12:01 pm

God, the vitriol towards Rosol is strong here. Just to be clear, I watched the match yesterday. Rosol played a very fair match - he was not smacking his racquet on the floor every time Nadal served as has now been suggested by two Nadal fans.

Rosol isn't my favourite style of player but he played a style of tennis which can be effective against Rafa. It was essentially a more aggressive form of Del Potro's approach. I was very impressed with how sharp Rafa looked - this second gear stuff is nonsense. He missed some easy forehands but a lot of the points were simply taken out of his hands. A good win for Rafa which should be celebrated. However, Rosol also deserves credit for adopting a positive approach and playing the game the right way. His opponent yesterday is the one who has a lot to learn about sportsmanship.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Wed 01 Jan 2014, 12:15 pm

Me too Born Slippy, though with regards to yesterday's match, I think Rosol did try a few things to unsettle Rafa including the mid-set toilet break and "fidgeting" while receiving serve. I didn't notice him banging his raquet on the ground and if he did, as with Kirilenko it should have been called a hinderance.

But this type of post...
hawkeye wrote:It must be really tough being a pro player who is.... how shall I put it a bit macho with a bit of an ego, someone who wants to be top dog but is involved in a sport were you lose most of the time.
I don't know how hawkeye comes to this conclusion about Rosol. He may well be, I doubt many of us see enough of him to judge. It seems to be based on the fact that he had the audacity to beat Rafa and celebrate on-court after. To my mind, what happened yesterday showed just why he did - he knows exactly what often happens when an underdog has a top player on the ropes, they don't manage to see it through - that one time he did manage. In the post-match interview at Wimbledon he seemed more stunned than arrogant.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Wed 01 Jan 2014, 12:15 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Since when has Rafa banged his racquet on the floor when his oponent is about to serve. When was the last time Rafa took a toilet break after one set... please can you quote the match I would be most interested to hear.

A point of note if Rafa is playing Doubles with Francisco Roig will he be fined for on court coaching  Very Happy

That I remember, he did a spectacular MTO in Wimbledon 2011 against Del Potro. I don't know when it was the last but I do know he did it many times before.....The point is, during his Wimbledon match against Rosol, Nadal complained bitterly to the umpire that Rosol was distracting him by moving too much before the serve. That has to be one the most ridiculous complaint ever made, forget it was Nadal doing it! Is any player supposed to stand still on the baseline when returning a serve? And isn't Nadal one of the player on tour who moves more while waiting for a serve?
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 01 Jan 2014, 12:17 pm

Born Slippy wrote:God, the vitriol towards Rosol is strong here. Just to be clear, I watched the match yesterday. Rosol played a very fair match - he was not smacking his racquet on the floor every time Nadal served as has now been suggested by two Nadal fans.

Rosol isn't my favourite style of player but he played a style of tennis which can be effective against Rafa. It was essentially a more aggressive form of Del Potro's approach. I was very impressed with how sharp Rafa looked - this second gear stuff is nonsense. He missed some easy forehands but a lot of the points were simply taken out of his hands. A good win for Rafa which should be celebrated. However, Rosol also deserves credit for adopting a positive approach and playing the game the right way. His opponent yesterday is the one who has a lot to learn about sportsmanship.

Different strokes for different folks.. not vitriol at all .. but that is what you would like to think Nadal fans feel about Rosol wouldn´t you BS. I commented on the match I saw.. not the one you did.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 01 Jan 2014, 12:20 pm

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:Since when has Rafa banged his racquet on the floor when his oponent is about to serve. When was the last time Rafa took a toilet break after one set... please can you quote the match I would be most interested to hear.

That I remember, he did a spectacular MTO in Wimbledon 2011 against Del Potro. I don't know when it was the last but I do know he did it many times before.....The point is, during his Wimbledon match against Rosol, Nadal complained bitterly to the umpire  that Rosol was distracting him by moving too much before the serve. That has to be one the most ridiculous complaint ever made, forget it was Nadal doing it! Is any player supposed to stand still on the baseline when returning a serve? And isn't Nadal  one of the player on tour  who moves more  while waiting for a serve?

No he doesnt if you watch him when the server throws the ball in the air rafa shifts his weight from foot to foot.
other than that he doesnt move.

My God on here when Rosol and Nadal are mentioned in the same breath world war III breaks out. Doh 

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 01 Jan 2014, 12:28 pm

Which was the same match...

Either Rosol was hitting his racquet on the floor before every Nadal serve or he wasn't. That isn't subjective. I've just watched some highlights of the match - can't see him doing it there either. I don't like players being accused of being cheats when they are not.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 01 Jan 2014, 1:16 pm

Haddie.

In fedal's 2012 Indian Wells match he took a toilet break before feds served for the match. MUCH WORSE!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 01 Jan 2014, 1:42 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Which was the same match...

Either Rosol was hitting his racquet on the floor before every Nadal serve or he wasn't. That isn't subjective. I've just watched some highlights of the match - can't see him doing it there either. I don't like players being accused of being cheats when they are not.

When you have only seen SOME of the highlights its not conclusive evidence is it ??

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 01 Jan 2014, 1:50 pm

In a previous post, BS said:

"Just to be clear, I watched the match yesterday."

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 01 Jan 2014, 1:55 pm

I watched the whole match yesterday AND highlights today. Just to be clear, did you see Rosol cheating as well or are you relying on HE's evidence?

It's very odd that such obvious cheating in such a high profile match only seems to have been spotted by yourself and HE. The type of smack on the floor HE describes would be very audible.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 01 Jan 2014, 1:57 pm

I couldn´t care less when he watched it this thread was not about gamesmanship or lack of it.. when ever the subject arises its ugly head Rafa gets singled out for special treatment. and you dig up events from 2 years ago.... I could name several players guilty of gamesmanship but not as obvious as Rafa

But Ill leave you with this ...especially now Fed has a new one..
watch at what point in a match Fed changes his racquet and how long he takes to do it.  Cool  But Im not discussing gamesmanship on this forum again its been done to death .. blame the umpires for not enforcing the rules.. not the players for breaking them

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 01 Jan 2014, 1:58 pm

Andy going from 3-0 up to 3-4*. Some things just don't change.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:10 pm

So it's ok for yourself and HE to accuse Rosol of gamesmanship but not for anyone to question it because that's then off-topic? That's a good way to make sure you are on the right side of a debate!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:20 pm

Meanwhile there is a fantastic tennis match going on.

Murray may have gone 3-0 in 2nd to 1-3 down in 3rd but Mayer playing stupendously is seemingly forgotten.  This is one of the best matches for variety and guile I've seen in many a moon. Mayer is a revelation today win or lose.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:26 pm

Murray looking spent here. Run out of juice methinks.

Even if he does lose there's still positives. He moved very well first set, and his opponent has made him stretch and twist and I've not seen one back related grimace.

Long term it looks good. Short term, I'm not sure someone who's been out for 4 months can win a slam after a 3 or 4 competitive matches.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:28 pm

Yeah, it's been awesome tennis from Mayer. Very similar to when he beat Rafa a couple of years ago. A few of the jump backhand slices have been exquisite.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:31 pm

It's the jump, 2 handed, backhand drop shot from the baseline that made me almost spit out my Irish coffee. Wonderful stuff.

This ones done.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:31 pm

I was debating whether or not to get out of bed to watch Andy but as I saw the first set score I decided against it assuming it would be a routine victory. And here, all of a sudden, I see lydian's post - that woke me up pretty quick.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:33 pm

Wow.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:34 pm

Now that I am awake, I will watch some more tennis I think. It should be Rafa next if I am not mistaken.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:39 pm

Nice one SB, see if you can grab the match again on YouTube...from 3-0 down in the 2nd Mayer played 2 of the best sets I've seen in quite a while, wonderful touch, disguise, power, skill....the way we all want to see tennis played. Wonderful stuff and hats off to 30 year old Mayer - just what are they putting in these older guys Irish Coffees?!

PS. Happy New Year everyone on 606v2  Bubbly 
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:44 pm

whats the score?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:45 pm

Type of defeat you get on such a comeback. We have to remember that all these guys, including that one who beat Rafa in his comeback final, can beat any of the Top 4 if they are short. And Murray is understandably woefully short

Proves that the consistency of the Top 4 is quite remarkable, i.e. to keep up the level they had in 2011/12

Not certain I want to see him, getting blasted at Aus. Think he should do a Rafa and miss it

When he had his last serious injury (wrist in 2007) it took about six months for him to reach his best

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:51 pm

I'll grant Murray wasn't 100% but you have to tip your hat to Mayer today, simply wonderful tennis. He kind of out-Murray'ed Murray.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:57 pm

Yes Lydian, Mayer was outstanding. He didn't play badly in the first set but played very well second set. In the third he saw Murray wasn't moving well but it takes a skillet player to move him around like he did. Side to side, gorgeous slices, good net play. He's also unreadable which must be a nightmare to play against.

You see him play like that and wonder why he hasn't made more of an impact in the game.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:59 pm

lydian wrote:I'll grant Murray wasn't 100% but you have to tip your hat to Mayer today, simply wonderful tennis. He kind of out-Murray'ed Murray.

What he used his superior physique, muscling the ball style tennis to beat a more talented player? That out Murray'ing Murray?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jan 2014, 3:07 pm

Happy new year to you all. Nice to see that Rosol Nadal has got you all rolling off the bat.
Murray looked Ginger towards the end of the match, which is a worry for the aussie open but its to be expected after back surgery. He was hitting the ball fine soo its all progress. For Mayer its the same question for ALL guys around his rank, tidy player but does he have the mentality and the work ethic to push on to something more marked... well see.
Tennis is a puzzle, its about working out how to win and how to gain an advantage. If Murrays smart enough to work hard off the court, and good enough to do it, then that will pay dividends one day... except it already has

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jan 2014, 3:11 pm

Nadal motoring well at the start

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 01 Jan 2014, 3:42 pm

LS, it strikes me you seem a little narky these days. Hope OTF isnt rubbing off on you Wink
In reference to your question - No. I refer the inherent variety/guile that Murray had inside him.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 01 Jan 2014, 3:56 pm

Haha sorry Lydian.
I used to like that murray I just don't like the physical beast he has become.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 01 Jan 2014, 4:21 pm

LuvSports! wrote:Haha sorry Lydian.

Murray being described as a physical beast always makes my blood boil...

Last edited by kingraf on Wed 01 Jan 2014, 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 01 Jan 2014, 4:32 pm

kingraf wrote:
LuvSports! wrote:Haha sorry Lydian.

Murray being described as a physical beast always makes my blood boil...

Over the past seven years, Murray has invested huge amounts of time and sweat into building up his body, to the point that his schoolboy friend Jamie Baker recently compared him to a tank.

Do you recall this one, KR? (Reminds me of the NFL defense lines).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/9958093/Andy-Murray-I-am-living-on-the-edge-of-injury-and-illness.html

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 01 Jan 2014, 4:37 pm

KR - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFYO43UCMYE

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 01 Jan 2014, 4:47 pm

LF - thanks for the link. I vaguely remember a thread where a year ago the definition of a tank was highly contested. Think my exact comment was that Andy only looks like a Tank because he wears Spray-on shirts. Nice to see the physical effort he puts Into playing the sport all the same.

LS - Wink unfortunately, only thing I hate more than the misinformation Murray promotes with his spray-on shirts is Family Guy.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 01 Jan 2014, 4:55 pm

and to that I reply with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6aS72qqe9c

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jan 2014, 5:30 pm

To get off the topic of Murrays beast like, sweaty manly form, Nadals through, three sets thanks to good stuff from Kamke but never looked in doubt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jan 2014, 5:33 pm

looking forward t gasquet monfils, but i might give brands ferrer a miss

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 01 Jan 2014, 5:42 pm

LuvSPORTS - Your two family Guy videos may have caused irreparable damage to our relationship... Almost unforgivable, really.

Backing Monfils against Gasquet. Been hitting 100mph forehand for fun, has this kid. Quite obviously discovered that hyphy mud.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jan 2014, 7:26 pm

Gasquet at half speed here...

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 01 Jan 2014, 8:03 pm

Quite agree LS that Murray chose the physical route and posters will remember me eulogising about this and the "tank" reference before. When I see Mayer play like thtpat today I think Murray could have so been a hybrid if Mayer/Nadal, instead he seems to have gone the Nada route rather than his Mayer-like underpinnings...and I wonder if his body is starting to resist cashing the cheques he keeps writing for it? (to quote Agassi)
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 01 Jan 2014, 8:51 pm

I remember your eulogies about the benefits of spray on shirts quite well, Lydian. It was a fun thread, that.

Last edited by kingraf on Wed 01 Jan 2014, 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 01 Jan 2014, 10:38 pm

Lol...can't remember that one but happy to take your word Smile
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 02 Jan 2014, 12:46 pm

Yuki Bhambri (aged 21, rank 195) won the first set vs fognini and is on serve at 4-3 down in the 2nd set.
Interesting!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next