The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Qatar Masters

+11
Roller_Coaster
McLaren
Davie
twoeightnine
raycastleunited
GPB
super_realist
incontinentia
kwinigolfer
beninho
pedro
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Qatar Masters Empty Qatar Masters

Post by pedro Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:07 pm

So, it's time for the second leg of the desert swing, Qatar Masters at Doha GC.

A decent field, with Garcia and Stenson as bookie favorites. Wood is defending champion but has kind of dissappeared with only a handful of top 10's since.

Dufner is returning after a decent result last year. Maybe the sand dunes remind him of his missus behind?

Quiros is a past champ and always do well here. Not to sure where is game is, but could be an e/w bet at a decent price.

Crowd favorite MAJ is playing and is in decent form. I would keep an eye on him. So is past champ, and as it looks, coming RC player Thomas Bjorn. Won at Nedbank and two top 10's since. He should be in the mix as well. And will we see a comeback from the two Swedes Hanson and Karlsson?

A lot of interesting golfers to watch and hopefully we'll have a great tournament.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Qatar Masters Empty Re: Qatar Masters

Post by beninho Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Its a bit like the ugly third child in comparison to Dubai and Abu Dhabi, in the desert Swing. Though MAJ in those big shades last week was the coolest site in golf. He looked like he should have been appearing in Chips ( what a great show when i was about 6)

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:17 am

clap pedro,

Could add that this gets underway on Wednesday.

Others seeking a return to form include Donald, Els and Kaymer, not to mention Roly Poly Lowry.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:12 am

I still fancy Lowry to have a good year and probably get a captains pick for the Ryder cup, if not qualify outright.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:13 am

incontinentia wrote:I still fancy Lowry to have a good year and probably get a captains pick for the Ryder cup, if not qualify outright.

You think he'll live that long Inco?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:19 am

No chance of Lowry getting a Captain's Pick unless he goes on an extraordinary Molinari-type run, not a cat in hell's chance. Sorry inco!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:22 am

He and McGinley are good buddies kwini
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:23 am

To be fair to Big Shane, if he wasnt such a big lad, then no one would really care or talk about him.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:33 am

beninho wrote:To be fair to Big Shane, if he wasnt such a big lad, then no one would really care or talk about him.

Exactly, his golf doesn't exactly do the talking.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:39 am

Unlike your hero Poulter. Mr. make the cut and not much else.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:45 am

incontinentia wrote:Unlike your hero Poulter. Mr. make the cut and not much else.

As I said earlier. 8 top tens last year, 4 top 5's and a better major record in 2012 than almost anyone, and also a WGC that year too and perhaps the greatest European Ryder Cup player since Seve and a top 30 world ranking for a decade.

Yeah, he's crap isn't he?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:49 am

IMO, at least one (if not two) of these Stalwart RC players will not qualify for the Euro RC Team on Merit and will need a Captains pick to be on 2014 team.

Lee Westwood
Graeme McDowell
Luke Donald

They are outside the top 9 right now, and I really haven't seen anything to suggest they will qualify on merit. 

IMO, Rory, Henrik, IJP, Rosie and Sergio are going to be make the team on merit for sure.

Luke, Westy, and GMac are going to battling Bjorn, Luiten, Donaldson, Larrazabal, Jimenez, Dubuisson, Molinari for the last 4 spots on merit and after about 1/3 of the qualifying period they are behind the 8 ball.

And all but Pablo are inside the top 50 and will should be playing the Majors and WGC's.

And I didn't even mention players like Hanson, Casey, and Manassero who are capable of winning a few tournaments and get into contention.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:55 am

The course in Doha has some nice holes. There is a short par 4 on the back 9 (16 I think), where players can drive over a rock outcrop and take on the green, and a good risk reward dogleg par 4 (11 or 12 I think) where players drive over a desert wasteland and must choose how much of the corner to cut off.

To be honest I've gone right off Qatar since they won the right to host the world cup. Would like to impose some sort of sporting boycott until they give the tournament back to the football fans of the world. I don't mind them buying PSG, Harrods etc but the world cup should be sacred.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:33 am

Pedro

Thanks for starting a Euro thread. I'm not sure why but I'm much more interested in this year's tour than last year's. Could be that the fields for this part are strong but I hope that they continue with decent fields for a while.

One thing is that the son of my teacher is in his first season on the Euro Tour (Tyrrell Hatton) so there is a little more interest for me as I have followed his progress for the past 4-5 years. T10 last week and a €31k was nice after a couple of missed cuts in SA. Also being listed in the Telegraph young sportsmen to watch in 2014 must have given him some confidence.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:51 am

GPB wrote:IMO, at least one (if not two) of these Stalwart RC players will not qualify for the Euro RC Team on Merit and will need a Captains pick to be on 2014 team.

Lee Westwood
Graeme McDowell
Luke Donald

GPB I'll take a little private bet with you right now what those three qualify on merit (barring injuries). Much as I rate Rose, depending on his current injury, I'd say he was more likely to need a captain's pick .. and maybe even Poulter (who I also rate).

And I'm still not convinced Coco has his head in the right place despite his talent and recent slight improvement in form

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:02 am

In effect there is only one captains pick available should Poulter not qualify automatically.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:26 am

Thanks guys. The desert swing is the start to "real" ET season, always with interesting names.

super, besides Poulter who'd be the second sure pick? Remember there are three captains picks.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:51 pm

I think Poulter will make the team.  His form seemed to be OK with two 2nd place finishes at the end of the year at HSBC and RtD.  He has a big head start over GMAC, Westy, and Luke.

Rose?  Not sure, but he has the best swing of the English guys, IMO.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:02 pm

You could say the South Africans have the three best swings in golf;
Oosthuizen, Rose and Schwartzel . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:08 pm

I guess it is all subjective, but does anyone really have a better swing - in terms of looks and technique - than McIlroy?

It just looks like everything moves in perfect harmony. Which even els in his prime didn't manage.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:58 pm

I think Adam Scott has the best swing in Mens golf.

I think Suzann Pettersen has the best swing in Womens Golf.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Do you not think Adam scott's swing is a bit of an early 2000's tiger clone? Just not quite as good.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:56 pm

How do you rate a "best" swing? McIlroy and Scotts are pleasant to look at but is this a good indicator of sound mechanics? Furyk must have a great swing to have played at such a high level for so long, but it is aesthetically horrible.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:06 pm

Ogilvy and Donald have balanced nice swings too, and there is something about Casey's which I like too.

9C's is horrible. LIke a mad axeman trying to hit something before it runs away.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Steve Webster looks like he made an albatross on his first hole played (the 10th) today.
Not a bad way to start.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:20 pm

super_realist wrote:Ogilvy and Donald have balanced nice swings too, and there is something about Casey's which I like too.  

9C's is horrible. LIke a mad axeman trying to hit something before it runs away.

Donald has a great finish as has Dustin Johnson. I'm always amazed at the position he holds given the power that goes into it. Not a big fan of Casey's or Woods's. When he was playing in his little end of season roll up he calmed his swing down and it looked so much better. Funnily enough he equalled the course record.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:59 pm

Donald's swing is so smooth and balanced, but technically I don't think it's as good as Scott or the Saffers. Donald's swing looks like its all in his arms, which is probably why he is such a short hitter compare to the way McIlroy uses his core to effortlessly generate power. Schwartzel is a skinny bloke and he bombs it miles.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:25 am

Always like Monty's actually. Quite old school, but effective in his prime.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:33 am

As incont said, it doesn't matter really what it looks like so long as it can be repeated. Like Furyk, like Monty.

Donald may look good but his results the past couple of years have been a mess.

My Saffer comments (Louis, Charl and Justin) were meant facetiously, but Louis and Charl, and Scott, Rory, Woods, Phil, Ogilvy etc have an extra gear that the metronomically repetitive guys will never have.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:49 pm

I know that he's not a favourite on here but another couple of consistent low rounds from John Daly. Didn't even have a bogey today.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:50 pm

No surprise to see a Saffer atop the leaderboard early season.

Worth bearing in mind for Masters bets.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:23 am

Another couple (in a row rather than the whole season!) and Daly might earn a bit of dosh.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:05 am

RCB continuing his good form from last week (T4). Hanson also lurking.

Disappointing missed cuts from in-form MAJ and Bjorn, and 606's own favorite Shane Lowry.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:14 am

Is Coetzee finally going to get a win on the European Tour, he must be in the list of best players never to have won on the Euro tour.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:20 am

Where is Alex Noren, is he injured?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:36 am

sirbenson wrote:Is Coetzee finally going to get a win on the European Tour, he must be in the list of best players never to have won on the Euro tour.
Yes, he has been very close a couple of times. Think he was in a play-off at Gleneagles a few years ago.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:55 am

pedro wrote:
sirbenson wrote:Is Coetzee finally going to get a win on the European Tour, he must be in the list of best players never to have won on the Euro tour.
Yes, he has been very close a couple of times. Think he was in a play-off at Gleneagles a few years ago.
Was that the massive playoff with about 5 players? Sure I remember him in playoffs with both Bjorn and Rhys Davies (wherever he now is)... more than possible that he's been in more than one though, seems to be up there most weeks without ever winning.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:27 pm

Adrien Saddier??....Nope me neither.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:59 pm

pedro wrote:
Disappointing missed cuts from ...606's own favorite Shane Lowry.
God damn it. It's a stupid course anyway.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:02 pm

beninho wrote:Adrien Saddier??....Nope me neither.
http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=214585.html Everything you need to know. Or at least everything anyone knows.

For the record Coetzee was indeed in a 5-man playoff at Gleneagles which Bjorn won. The one I was thinking of with Davies was a different Saffa, van Zyl, that Dave Horsey ended up winning. If anyone cares.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:07 pm

beninho wrote:Adrien Saddier??....Nope me neither.
4th tournament on Tour. Beyond that, me neither. T6 at the Nelson Mandela and he only turned pro for Q school and earned his card. Bright future?

Pretty handy round! 6 under after nine must almost be disappointed to only get two more on the back. Or maybe tensed up/backed off.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:25 pm

Thorbjorn Olesen seems to have had a torrid time recently, slipped all the way down to 69th in the owgr's.
Good to see him find some form at last.
Not sure when he starts his PGA Tour campaign but I would have thought another season on the E.T. might have served him well. Having said which, a top finish in Qatar will get him in to the WGC MatchPlay and launch his season with a guaranteed healthy pay-day.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:35 am

2014 ET season so far:

S.Africa: 3 wins
Spain: 2 wins
Denmark: 2 wins
ROW: zip, nil, nada

RCB, Olesen and Aiken in a good position to extend the dominance.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:54 am

For professional golf obviously the swing that produces the best score over the long run is the best swing.

Furyk's look awful, but he's sure done just fine with it. I enjoy watching the unhurried Ernie Els and Fred Couples.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:46 pm

RCB, Oleson, Coetzee can all secure a spot in the Match play with a solid finish.

RCB needs to win.

A top 6 should be enough for Oleson and a Top 4 for Coetzee should be enough for him.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:19 pm

Shotrock wrote:For professional golf obviously the swing that produces the best score over the long run is the best swing.

Furyk's look awful, but he's sure done just fine with it. I enjoy watching the unhurried Ernie Els and Fred Couples.

It is certainly impressive how well Furyk has done with a swing that ugly. However, as long as it is where it should be at impact that is all that matters.

Here's a great article from Furyk which is about playing to your strengths and good course management. Well worth a read.

http://www.golf.com/instruction/furyk-4-easy-ways-hit-more-greens

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:38 pm

twoeightnine wrote:
One thing is that the son of my teacher is in his first season on the Euro Tour (Tyrrell Hatton) so there is a little more interest for me as I have followed his progress for the past 4-5 years.  T10 last week and a €31k was nice after a couple of missed cuts in SA.  Also being listed in the Telegraph young sportsmen to watch in 2014 must have given him some confidence.
Your buddy is also doing well this week! I'll keep an eye on him!  Hug

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:40 pm

Play-Off in the offing?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:02 am

pedro wrote:2014 ET season so far:

S.Africa: 3 wins
Spain: 2 wins 3 wins
Denmark: 2 wins
ROW: zip, nil, nada

RCB, Olesen and Aiken in a good position to extend the dominance.
Garcia it was. 7 Spaniards/Saffers/Danes among the 10 first. And Dubai?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:06 am

pedro,
More than that in the top ten:
Spain: 3
Saffers: 3
Scandy's: 3
Steve Webster: 1!

Nice win for Sergio and here's hoping it's a platform for success in the U.S.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next