The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership Round Twelve

+26
Rugby Fan
Manu's Boxing Coach
South West Saint
Portnoy's Complaint
Scrumpy
Hood83
HammerofThunor
BigTrevsbigmac
nathan
B91212
Welly
kingelderfield
Driver
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
HongKongCherry
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
Luck of the Irish
ChequeredJersey
Poorfour
beshocked
yappysnap
little_badger
Geordie
Bathite
Ozzy3213
30 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Aviva Premiership Round Twelve Empty Aviva Premiership Round Twelve

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 02 Jan 2014, 1:47 pm

Fri 3rd Jan 14 19:45 PR Newcastle Falcons v Sale Sharks Kingston Park
Fri 3rd Jan 14 19:45 PR Northampton Saints v Harlequins Franklin's Gardens
Sat 4th Jan 14 15:00 PR London Irish v Worcester Warriors Madejski Stadium
Sat 4th Jan 14 15:15 PR Gloucester Rugby v Saracens Kingsholm
Sun 5th Jan 14 14:00 PR Leicester Tigers v Bath Rugby Welford Road
Sun 5th Jan 14 15:00 PR London Wasps v Exeter Chiefs Adams Park

Some big fixtures again this weekend. I'm going for Sharks, Saints, Saracens, Tigers and Chiefs to win. Not predicting on the Irish game, just praying this week!  Leprechaun 
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership Round Twelve Empty Re: Aviva Premiership Round Twelve

Post by Bathite Thu 02 Jan 2014, 1:54 pm

An Irish win and Worcs' fate is sealed?

Will be very interesting to see if Quins can get near Saints, who have put 40 past both Sarries and Bath at home, very impressive.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 02 Jan 2014, 1:57 pm

We're in a run of defeats , i think we desperately need a win here...just to give the moral a little boost. Ironically in Cipriani they have a form FH that we so desperately need. Godman is appalling and Clegg just hitty missy.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by little_badger Thu 02 Jan 2014, 1:58 pm

Bath to win, I'm calling it! I'm probably still drunk anyway.

little_badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 02 Jan 2014, 2:08 pm

Bathite wrote:An Irish win and Worcs' fate is sealed?

Will be very interesting to see if Quins can get near Saints, who have put 40 past both Sarries and Bath at home, very impressive.

Perhaps, although Falcons are only a point ahead of Irish so could still be dragged in.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 02 Jan 2014, 2:36 pm

I dont think we'll drop in to a battle with Worcs Ozzy.

A win this weekend would be very welcome however  Wink 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 02 Jan 2014, 2:49 pm

Teams up for Sale...

Falcons: 15 Alex Tait, 14 Noah Cato, 13 Danny Barnes, 12 Adam Powell, 11 Sinoti Sinoti, 10 Phil Godman, 9 Mike Blair, 1 Rob Vickers, 2 Scott Lawson, 3 Kieran Brookes, 4 Carlo del Fava, 5 Scott MacLeod, 6 Mark Wilson, 7 Andy Saull, 8 Ally Hogg (c)

Replacements: 16 George McGuigan, 17 Franck Montanella, 18 Oliver Tomaszczyk, 19 Sean Tomes, 20 Richard Mayhew, 21 Warren Fury, 22 Rory Clegg, 23 James Fitzpatrick

Vickers continues to start at 1???!!! WTF is going on. Montanella and Shiels are far better. If i was a club looking for a quality young LH...id be looking at Shiels! Got to be unhappy not getting much gametime behind a hooker!

No Welch, no Shortland...are they injuries?.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 02 Jan 2014, 3:25 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I dont think we'll drop in to a battle with Worcs Ozzy.

A win this weekend would be very welcome however  Wink 

If you lose and get nothing, and we lose and get a bonus point, then it's a three way battle mate, with you and us level on points and Worcs not far behind!
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 02 Jan 2014, 3:32 pm

I hadn't noticed that Vickers had been playing LH! Why are they doing that?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 02 Jan 2014, 3:35 pm

We're all asking the same question Bathite...Montanella got injured as did Shiels very early in the season so Vickers has been there pretty much from the start of the season as cover...

The problem is they are back fit now yet Deano appears to have him as first choice! Cant work it out....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 02 Jan 2014, 6:18 pm

Harlequins team

15. Mike Brown
14. Charlie Walker
13. Matt Hopper
12. Tim Molenaar
11. Sam Smith
10. Nick Evans
9. Karl Dickson

1. Joe Marler
2. Dave Ward
3. Will Collier
4. Charlie Matthews
5. George Robson
6. Tom Guest
7. Chris Robshaw (C)
8. Nick Easter

16. Max Crumpton
17. Mark Lambert
18. Paul Doran Jones
19. Nick Kennedy
20. Joe Trayfoot
21. Sam Stuart
22. Ben Botica
23. Ollie Lindsay-Hague

Like that team.

Think we'll beat Saints this weekend. Just need to play smart and keep the game from getting too tight and physical. I think we'll cope in the scrums but must not let Saints build momentum from mauls.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 02 Jan 2014, 6:30 pm

Sorry yappysnap I don't think you'll beat Saints as Bathite points out - they have been so strong at home. Tactically they also know how to beat Quins.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 02 Jan 2014, 6:51 pm

beshocked wrote:Sorry yappysnap I don't think you'll beat Saints as Bathite points out - they have been so strong at home. Tactically they also know how to beat Quins.

I'll reserve judgement on the first point - it's been pretty even between Quins and Saints the last couple of years. whether home or away.
Second point is true
Third point, I disagree with very strongly. Saints beat Quins at the Stoop because of a poor box kick by Care that fell nicely for them and because Nick Evans missed 4 kicks and Ben Botica missed 1. Tactically, the teams were evenly matched.

If both teams play to their full potential, I'd expect Saints to have the upper hand, but if Quins can get their noses in front and play a smart tactical game that puts the ball behind North (never the quickest on the turn, and up against Charlie Walker, who really is quick) and their 3rd choice fullback, then they have more of a chance than people seem to think.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 02 Jan 2014, 7:13 pm

Saints have not sussed is tactically! They may be just too good for us however
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 02 Jan 2014, 9:20 pm

Yea I seem to remember the only difference between the teams being our terrible kicking and Saints getting a try from a couple of very lucky bounces and some lovely but flukey hands.

That isn't sussed out.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Luck of the Irish Thu 02 Jan 2014, 10:36 pm

beshocked wrote:Sorry yappysnap I don't think you'll beat Saints as Bathite points out - they have been so strong at home. Tactically they also know how to beat Quins.

I don't think Quins will win either but considering their very good track record against Saints the second part of the above post is rather clueless.

Luck of the Irish

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 02 Jan 2014, 10:54 pm

Luck of the Irish you and I obviously have a different viewpoint on clueless!

Saints have won more matches than Quins overall. I would not say Quins have a good track record vs Saints.

Winning away at Quins suggests to me Saints have sussed how to take on Quins. Might be fluky in your eyes but mentally it's significant.

Poor four if it was at Quins you would probably start as favourites but its at FG.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 03 Jan 2014, 12:48 am

Yeah but going by Saints' early season form and our early season form and the conditions and the relative strengths of the 2 squads out at the time, Saints should really have smashed us, home or not
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 03 Jan 2014, 1:12 am

TeamPWDLFAF-ATBPLBPBPPts
Saracens111001333163+17060646
Northampton Saints11911298160+13841543
Bath Rugby11803235174+6111234
Harlequins11704218148+7022432
Leicester Tigers11614233221+1222430
Exeter Chiefs11605213204+912327
London Wasps11506217218-125727
Sale Sharks11506197208-1114525
Gloucester Rugby11407201256-5514521
Newcastle Falcons1130893236-14302214
London Irish11209169243-7405513
Worcester Warriors110011119295-1760333
Second half starts now.  This is mojo weekend:
Who has it, who lost it, and who has no chance on this earth of finding it.

Newcastle Falcons v Sale Sharks:
Newcastle has that try-scoring mojo back.  Two whole tries and more are coming.  Sale are currently trying to figure out how to spell mojo and whether they have it or not.  Will Newcastle's Scottish halfback combination beat the Sale Welsh/English halfbacks?  Will Cipriani go wild?  Methinks on a cold Friday evening probably not.  But he does seem to be getting on pretty well.  This is a huge match for Sale.  If they win without cheating in the scrum they can truly claim to be going in the right direction as a club, and lay claim to at least a little mojo.  If Newcastle win they can be increasingly comfortable from relegation.  But no mojo regardless.  Yet.  This is very hard to call, but I pick the home team by 3.

Northampton Saints v Harlequins:
Saints have beaucoup mojo at the moment.  Beaucoup mojo.  I like that idea so much I said it twice.  But Quins are regaining their mojo, and as a Saints fan, that is a concern.  Saints pack is better, but Quins backs are better.  Small margins, though.  Stevie Myler is the most accurate kicker in the Premiership.  Stevie Myler is the most accurate kicker in the Premiership.  I like that so much I said it twice.   I think Saints were a bit fortunate to beat Quins earlier  this season, and this should be nut cutting tight.  Saints will need to harness the intensity from the 2nd Leinster match and from last week.  If they do that they win.  If not, who knows?  Saints at home by 3, fueled by mojo.

London Irish v Worcester Warriors:
No mojo in this match.  I looked carefully and I just can't find any.  Things just keep getting worse for Worcester.  Things are not getting worse for London Irish.  London Irish win at home by an easy 10.

Gloucester v Saracens:
Hmmm.  I have a strange feeling Gloucester will steal some of Sarries mojo in this match.  Unfortunately, Sarries currently have a lot and can spare some and not miss a trick.  I think this will be one of Gloucester's best matches of the season.  I am fascinated to see how Sarries gets on.  Not sure why, but this feels like an upset special.  So, I am going out on a limb and picking Gloucester at home by 6.  

Leicester Tigers v Bath Rugby:
Another match with all the makings of being fun to watch and a great game.  Leicester at home always have lots of mojo.  Bath's attempts to build some major mojo were put off the rails last weekend.  Should be a hard fought, bruising match.  Should be interesting to see how Ford gets on against his former team.  I expect the Leicester pack will re-introduce themselves in a very polite and gentle manner.   If Bath can protect him and keep the ball moving they should be OK.  But I don't think that will happen.  Should be another close match, but Leicester at home by 7.

London Wasps v Exeter Chiefs;
Wow, after all the great matches before this one, it is almost an afterthought.  Shame because Exe know they need to turn it on after last week. And Wasps are running out of time to get going.  To me, Exe seems to be better than a 6 - 5 record.  And should have more than enough mojo to beat Wasps.  Let's see if I am right.  Exe by 10.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 03 Jan 2014, 6:33 am

Dr G, congrats that is the write up of the season so far...

...Except you got the Saints-Quins score muddled up, I think you meant Quins by 3 didn't you?  king 

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 03 Jan 2014, 6:39 am

Oh and here's the others?

Falcons v Sale
Sale keep the momentum going with Cips playing another controlled, eye catching game. Sale by 5

Irish v Wuss
Irish should have more then enough to see off a pathetic Worcester side. Irish by 10

Glos v Sarries
Like the good Dr I too can feel something odd in the force around this match. Sarries to just win it, maybe by 2, but Glos to scare them a lot.

Tigers v Bath
Bath to get their first win at WR in a long long time. It'll be ugly but they'll do enough. Bath by 3 all off the boot of Ford.

Wasps v Exe
Key game as the fight for top 6 begins in earnest. Wasps at home should have enough if they score early. Wasps by 5

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 03 Jan 2014, 8:50 am

Remember Bath only beat a very much weakened Tigers team at the Wreck by only 7 points (thanks mainly to Ryan Interception Lamb). It'll be a stronger team this week and at a ground Ford has always struggled to kick well at.

Bowden is out for 12 weeks with a broken cheek bone and eye socket (ouch) but Flood and Allen are set to return.

Team prediction:

Ayerza, Youngs, Cole
Slater, Kitchener
Gibson, Waldrom, Salvi
Youngs, Flood
Allen, Goneva
Morris, Tait, Benjamin

Bench: Mulipola/Stankovitch, Briggs, Balmain, Deacon, Crane, Mele, Williams, Smith.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 03 Jan 2014, 8:52 am

It'll be good to see Tait back if he does play. Seems like he's been out for ages again.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 03 Jan 2014, 9:10 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Remember Bath only beat a very much weakened Tigers team at the Wreck by only 7 points (thanks mainly to Ryan Interception Lamb). It'll be a stronger team this week and at a ground Ford has always struggled to kick well at.

Bowden is out for 12 weeks with a broken cheek bone and eye socket (ouch) but Flood and Allen are set to return.

Team prediction:

Ayerza, Youngs, Cole
Slater, Kitchener
Gibson, Waldrom, Salvi
Youngs, Flood
Allen, Goneva
Morris, Tait, Benjamin

Bench: Mulipola/Stankovitch, Briggs, Balmain, Deacon, Crane, Mele, Williams, Smith.

Yeah, I don't have the same confidence of other posters, but i'd love to be proven wrong. That's a really strong Tigers team and I thought that Mafi might be back as well? Real shame that Bowden isn't playing

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 03 Jan 2014, 9:32 am

I agree that Gloucester could pull off an upset. I am very wary. Though I do feel that you are saying that dr grey because as a Saints fan you want to pinch top spot in the league!

Still saying that Sarries should win - better squad depth, organisation and overall stronger round the park.

I think Sale will win, Leicester to win, London Irish, Saints, Wasps.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 03 Jan 2014, 10:07 am

I'd love to say home wins all round, but I fear this won't be the case. 2 wins for Glaws doesn't hide the fact we're simply not good enough at the moment. Burns is set to start and its about time he grew up a little and focused on the game and not the off field contracts, photoshoots, etc. Our pack has been vastly improved recently, but that has been against Edinburgh, Wuss and Irish so this game will be a proper litmus test as to where they stand.

Chiefs may snatch the win, but the other games look like home wins. Irish really should put a few past Wuss and consign them to the Championship.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Luck of the Irish Fri 03 Jan 2014, 10:28 am

beshocked wrote:Luck of the Irish you and I obviously have a different viewpoint on clueless!

Saints have won more matches than Quins overall. I would not say Quins have a good track record vs Saints.

Winning away at Quins suggests to me Saints have sussed how to take on Quins. Might be fluky in your eyes but mentally it's significant.

Poor four if it was at Quins you would probably start as favourites but its at FG.

check some facts first before you post

Luck of the Irish

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 03 Jan 2014, 10:45 am

yappysnap wrote:Dr G, congrats that is the write up of the season so far...

...Except you got the Saints-Quins score muddled up, I think you meant Quins by 3 didn't you?  king 
Thank you, a few beers might have provided some assistance.

I muddled to Saints-Quins score? Moi? When I write these predictions, my motives are pure and righteous...........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 03 Jan 2014, 10:49 am

beshocked wrote:I agree that Gloucester could pull off an upset. I am very wary. Though I do feel that you are saying that dr grey because as a Saints fan you want to pinch top spot in the league!
I am shocked at this statement.  As I said earlier, my motives are pure and righteous.   I would never let my thinking be contaminated by thoughts of going top of the league.  I am shocked you would think I am so shallow.  Or maybe I am shocked you fully understand I am so shallow.  Either way, I am shocked.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 03 Jan 2014, 11:23 am

How has Sales pack been playing this season?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 03 Jan 2014, 11:39 am

doctor_grey wrote:
TeamPWDLFAF-ATBPLBPBPPts
Saracens111001333163+17060646
Northampton Saints11911298160+13841543
Bath Rugby11803235174+6111234
Harlequins11704218148+7022432
Leicester Tigers11614233221+1222430
Exeter Chiefs11605213204+912327
London Wasps11506217218-125727
Sale Sharks11506197208-1114525
Gloucester Rugby11407201256-5514521
Newcastle Falcons1130893236-14302214
London Irish11209169243-7405513
Worcester Warriors110011119295-1760333
Second half starts now.  This is mojo weekend:
Who has it, who lost it, and who has no chance on this earth of finding it.

Newcastle Falcons v Sale Sharks:
Newcastle has that try-scoring mojo back.  Two whole tries and more are coming.  Sale are currently trying to figure out how to spell mojo and whether they have it or not.  Will Newcastle's Scottish halfback combination beat the Sale Welsh/English halfbacks?  Will Cipriani go wild?  Methinks on a cold Friday evening probably not.  But he does seem to be getting on pretty well.  This is a huge match for Sale.  If they win without cheating in the scrum they can truly claim to be going in the right direction as a club, and lay claim to at least a little mojo.  If Newcastle win they can be increasingly comfortable from relegation.  But no mojo regardless.  Yet.  This is very hard to call, but I pick the home team by 3.

Northampton Saints v Harlequins:
Saints have beaucoup mojo at the moment.  Beaucoup mojo.  I like that idea so much I said it twice.  But Quins are regaining their mojo, and as a Saints fan, that is a concern.  Saints pack is better, but Quins backs are better.  Small margins, though.  Stevie Myler is the most accurate kicker in the Premiership.  Stevie Myler is the most accurate kicker in the Premiership.  I like that so much I said it twice.   I think Saints were a bit fortunate to beat Quins earlier  this season, and this should be nut cutting tight.  Saints will need to harness the intensity from the 2nd Leinster match and from last week.  If they do that they win.  If not, who knows?  Saints at home by 3, fueled by mojo.

London Irish v Worcester Warriors:
No mojo in this match.  I looked carefully and I just can't find any.  Things just keep getting worse for Worcester.  Things are not getting worse for London Irish.  London Irish win at home by an easy 10.

Gloucester v Saracens:
Hmmm.  I have a strange feeling Gloucester will steal some of Sarries mojo in this match.  Unfortunately, Sarries currently have a lot and can spare some and not miss a trick.  I think this will be one of Gloucester's best matches of the season.  I am fascinated to see how Sarries gets on.  Not sure why, but this feels like an upset special.  So, I am going out on a limb and picking Gloucester at home by 6.  

Leicester Tigers v Bath Rugby:
Another match with all the makings of being fun to watch and a great game.  Leicester at home always have lots of mojo.  Bath's attempts to build some major mojo were put off the rails last weekend.  Should be a hard fought, bruising match.  Should be interesting to see how Ford gets on against his former team.  I expect the Leicester pack will re-introduce themselves in a very polite and gentle manner.   If Bath can protect him and keep the ball moving they should be OK.  But I don't think that will happen.  Should be another close match, but Leicester at home by 7.

London Wasps v Exeter Chiefs;
Wow, after all the great matches before this one, it is almost an afterthought.  Shame because Exe know they need to turn it on after last week. And Wasps are running out of time to get going.  To me, Exe seems to be better than a 6 - 5 record.  And should have more than enough mojo to beat Wasps.  Let's see if I am right.  Exe by 10.

Tis all about the mojo - comedy genius clap

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 03 Jan 2014, 12:01 pm

CHIEFS SIDE TO FACE LONDON WASPS

15 Luke Arscott
14 Jack Nowell
13 Ian Whitten
12 Jason Shoemark
11 Tom James
10 Henry Slade
9 Dave Lewis
1 Ben Moon
2 Chris Whitehead
3 Hoani Tui
4 Dean Mumm (capt)
5 James Hanks
6 Tom Johnson
7 Ben White
8 Dave Ewers

16 Jack Yeandle
17 Carl Rimmer
18 Alex Brown
19 Damian Welch
20 Kai Horstmann
21 Will Chudley
22 Gareth Steenson
23 Sam Hill

Great to see young Henry get the nod at flyhalf

Chief

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Fri 03 Jan 2014, 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 03 Jan 2014, 12:35 pm

BATH side, no real surprises. Huge back row, really strong bench.

15. Nick Abendanon
14. Anthony Watson
13. Jonathan Joseph
12. Kyle Eastmond
11. Matt Banahan
10. George Ford
9. Peter Stringer
1. Paul James
2. Rob Webber
3. Anthony Perenise
4. Stuart Hooper ( c )
5. Dave Attwood
6. Matt Garvey
7. Francois Louw
8. Carl Fearns

Replacements

16. Eusebio Guinazu
17. Nathan Catt
18. Juan Pablo Orlandi
19. Dominic Day
20. Leroy Houston
21. Martin Roberts
22. Ollie Devoto
23. Horacio Agulla

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 03 Jan 2014, 12:35 pm

Think this is the Tigers side. Interesting that Flood gets the nod at 12, hoping that's something we can take advantage of.

15 Mathew Tait
14 Niall Morris
13 Vereniki Goneva
12 Toby Flood (c)
11 Miles Benjamin
10 Owen Williams
9 Ben Youngs
1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Tom Youngs
3 Dan Cole
4 Louis Deacon
5 Ed Slater
6 Jamie Gibson
7 Julian Salvi
8 Jordan Crane

Replacements
16 Rob Hawkins
17 Boris Stankovich
18 Fraser Balmain
19 Graham Kitchener
20 Thomas Waldrom
21 David Mélé
22 Scott Hamilton
23 Matt Smith

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 03 Jan 2014, 12:57 pm

London Irish team to face Worcester Warriors:

15. James O’Connor*; 14.Topsy Ojo*; 13.Fergus Mulchrone; 12. Eamonn Sheridan; 11. Sailosi Tagicakibau*; 10. Shane Geraghty*; 9. Tomás O’Leary*; 1. John Yapp*; 2. Mike Mayhew; 3. Leo Halavatau; 4. George Skivington (Captain); 5. Nic Rouse; 6. Kieran Low*; 7. Blair Cowan; 8. Ofisa Treviranus*

Replacements: 16. Jimmy Stevens; 17. Matt Parr; 18. Jamie Hagan*; 19.Jebb Sinclair*; 20. Declan Danaher; 21. Alex Lewington; 22. Ian Humphreys; 23. Ed Hoadley

Mayhew, Yapp, Rouse, Geraghty and Tagicakibau in for Stevens, Parr, Gough, iHumph and Lewington.

All calls spot on in my view. Great to have Losi back, as he seems to be the only player who can read JOC's breaks at the moment. Big win needed tomorrow!

Leprechaun COME ON YOU IRISH!!!!!  Leprechaun 
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 03 Jan 2014, 1:04 pm

Ha ha doctor grey.

In all seriousness after seeing the two sides I will be shocked if Saracens lose. It's pretty much a full strength saracens side. Interested to see Barritt-Bosch centre partnership in action.

Can't believe Gloucester are still picking Tindall!

No Wilson could harm Bath's chances. Flood at 12 is an odd one for Leicester. Agree Bathite you should look to take advantage there.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 03 Jan 2014, 1:05 pm

Who kicks this week then Ozzy?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 03 Jan 2014, 1:09 pm

O'Connor would be my guess Bathite, but the way we've set up, I think we'll be looking for tries and to take missed kicks out of the equation!
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri 03 Jan 2014, 1:09 pm

Team News

• Harlequins make three changes for Northampton with Karl Dickson, Tom Guest and Tim Molenaar starting replacing Danny Care, Luke Wallace and Tom Casson
  • Danny Cipriani returns for Sale after recovering from flu
  • Northampton Saints bring in Lee Dickson, Phil Dowson and Tom Collins
  • Sinoti Sinoti is handed his Newcastle debut.
  • Henry Slade handed first Premiership start for Exeter alongside Dave Lewis
  • Freddie Burns is handed the Gloucester No.10 shirt for their game against Saracens
  • Sailosi Tagicakibau starts on the flank for London Irish against Worcester
  • Nick Abendanon handed Bath fullback shirt with Anthony Watson shifting to the wing as Horacio Agulla is benched
  • Toby Flood at inside centre for Leicester as Owen Williams keeps fly-half shirt for match against Bath.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 03 Jan 2014, 1:16 pm

It'll be interesting to see how the Bath midfield go...12 and 13...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri 03 Jan 2014, 1:18 pm

What do you make of our chances this weekend GF? 

I'm not confident with of our scrum anymore with Vickers packing down at 1. I just can't see the logic in him continuing there. He always gets turned with his feet against a decent TH and essentially turns it into a 6 man scrum with the flanker having no affect.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 03 Jan 2014, 1:18 pm

FFS, seems Allen isn't fit then. Leaves us with little choice at 12 with Bowden and Manu also injured. It's either Flood, 19 year old Pohe or Smith who isn't fit and doesn't pass.

Yappy, this will be Tait's third successive start.

That's a scarily big Bath pack. Need to target Perenise in the scrum though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Fri 03 Jan 2014, 1:28 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:I'd love to say home wins all round, but I fear this won't be the case. 2 wins for Glaws doesn't hide the fact we're simply not good enough at the moment. Burns is set to start and its about time he grew up a little and focused on the game and not the off field contracts, photoshoots, etc. Our pack has been vastly improved recently, but that has been against Edinburgh, Wuss and Irish so this game will be a proper litmus test as to where they stand.

Chiefs may snatch the win, but the other games look like home wins. Irish really should put a few past Wuss and consign them to the Championship.

HKC Like many I've been really disappointed with Glaws this year especially when it was such a predictable outcome re the front 5 - that said this weekend’s clash does offer as you say a 'proper litmus test' and as always I’ve been checking my crystals and am going to stick my head out for Gloucester win. It is oft quoted that so much rugby is played in the top 2 inches, however for me it’s a case of EQ over IQ every time.

So collectively Glaws will have to come good to win and that includes the shed getting one over Borthwick, however as a neutral this game is absolutely mouth watering when it comes to individual match ups; Burns & Farrell, Twelvetrees & Barritt, Morgan & Billy Vunipola, plus elsewhere right across the pitch.

Obviously the game will be won in the front row and I see Sarries have brought their heavy heavy brigade to do a job - so Glaws must try to avoid scrums at all costs and get each and every tackle in hard early and low, especially when Sarries attempt to maul which will be there option of choice from the lineout.

Glaws must be energy personified, must run hard intelligent angles and must clear out hard and true - Cowan also must be sharp and decisive or be shown the crook early doors - controlled aggression or ask for your money back!

So Sarries are the favorites but Glaws can take this if they believe and all come to the party........a very big if.

Finally I see Q has left - what of the other pacific influences...injured, rested or are my suspicions correct and Davies is becoming part of the problem and less the solution?

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 03 Jan 2014, 1:39 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

That's a scarily big Bath pack. Need to target Perenise in the scrum though.

Prob why we have gone with Slater and Deacon instead of Kitch. adds extra ooph

Some titanic battles in the front 5.

But Ayerza has been amazing with these new rules.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 03 Jan 2014, 2:43 pm

King, there certainly will be some good match ups on Saturday, but I expect Sarries to get the upper hand as too many of our players are out of form. Fortunately Morgan and 36 are starting to hit some form, both for Glaws and England.

It's going to be a huge ask against Sarries. I will give Glaws unerring support, but I'm also realistic and I think we're too far off from clicking to win this game.

I think you've read too much into Q leaving. He wasn't going to be re-signed due to the need to strengthen other areas. He was offered the opportunity to earn a huge amount and as we did with Vainikolo we let him leave early; he wasn't going to get a testimonial so this is the 2nd best thing. Kalamafoni and Lokotui are both injured and Paufisi is starting. K and Paufisi have both signed/re-signed this year, coupled with the other players re-signed I'd strongly suggest they've all bought into Davies.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 03 Jan 2014, 3:11 pm

beshocked wrote:Can't believe Gloucester are still picking Tindall!
Its the nose.  They figure it will scare the beejeesus out of anyone.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 03 Jan 2014, 3:30 pm

Fair point doctor grey. Tindall certainly scares me!

Basically kingelderfield Gloucester must play their best game of the season. Gloucester are capable of it sure but taking on a form side is never easy.

The game won in the front row really? I don't think so. I think it will hinge on whose most clinical and about momentum. Nailing the basics - simple as that. Sarries are tough to beat because they are well organised - they have been performing the basics well. Nothing flashy. Just good core skills.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 03 Jan 2014, 3:41 pm

Newcastle Falcons v Sale Sharks - Sale by less than 7.
Northampton Saints v Harlequins - See below
London Irish v Worcester Warriors - Wuss by about 3 (you read it here first Wink).
Gloucester Rugby v Saracens - Sarries by more than 7. I'm not seeing a potential upset here like some.
Leicester Tigers v Bath Rugby - Struggling to call this, maybe just Tigers as they are at home. Is there a better back row combo in the AP than Bath's current 6, 7, & 8?
London Wasps v Exeter Chiefs - Wasps by less than 7.

Struggling to call the Saints game. Heart says Saints but head not so sure. What's the weather like over there, still strong winds and vast amounts of rain? Tom Collins starts at 15, Saints 43rd choice full back (okay, maybe not that many but I count that he's the 6th different player to start a league game at FB this season). In Evans & Brown he will be tested with some skilled kicking. Think Casson may be a loss for them, nearly always impresses me when I watch Quins games when they are going well.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 03 Jan 2014, 3:43 pm

By the way nice write up last night doctor_grey, gave me a chuckle this crappy winter morning. Had you been on the mojito's when you wrote it? Wink

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 03 Jan 2014, 4:25 pm

B91212 wrote:By the way nice write up last night doctor_grey, gave me a chuckle this crappy winter morning. Had you been on the mojito's when you wrote it? Wink
Thanks, brother. No mojo-itos, just good olde Boddington's. I am going to see Saints tonight, then going back to the US on Saturday. I was invited to watch some of the Saints preparation the other day. They kept bombing Collins with kicks all over the pitch and he was pretty good. In that weird swirling wind. He is pretty confident for a 19 year old. In the game Quins will go after him, as we all would. He might botch one, but will make some good plays. The kid has skills. How he goes might dictate the game.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next