The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baby Jake passes away

4 posters

Go down

Baby Jake passes away Empty Baby Jake passes away

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jan 2014, 2:05 pm

Just a quick mention on the passing of Baby Jake Matlala. Seems this one went under the radar as he died only two days after his dear friend and biggest fan, Nelson Mandela. Sadly, even though he was something of a hero to South Africans, he passed away aged 51 in financial trouble

At 4'10" tall he was the smallest world Champion and whilst he's unlikely to go down in some quarters as an ATG, there was something about him that gave me warm glow when watching him fight.

RIP little man

Back to top Go down

Baby Jake passes away Empty Re: Baby Jake passes away

Post by horizontalhero Fri 03 Jan 2014, 7:40 pm

sad news, I remember him fighting a few of our own, including Francis Ampofo, which most hold the record for the most vertical challenged fight of all time. RIP little man.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 03 Jan 2014, 8:27 pm

Rest In Peace Baby Jake. A shame he wasn't well off when things ended. I'd heard a while ago he was ill.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Jan 2014, 1:21 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/baby-jake-matlala-world-champion-in-two-weight-divisions-who-was-named-as-his-favourite-boxer-by-nelson-mandela-8993936.html

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 04 Jan 2014, 1:30 pm

about a month late... but it's nice to see him get eulogies. Would have made my own thread at the time, but I must be honest, I took the Nelson Mandela death quite hard. He got a very dignified funeral, though.

Yeah he wasnt in good shape, financially or physically for a while now. There was a boxing wine and dine in his honor, and a I believe his church had a fundraiser in his honour, to pay his bills.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 04 Jan 2014, 1:35 pm

horizontalhero wrote:sad news, I remember him fighting a few of our own, including Francis Ampofo, which most hold the record for the most vertical challenged fight of all time. RIP little man.

Remember that one. Not often ampofo looked a giant!

Rip baby jake.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down