The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England U20s 6 Nations Squad

+10
lostinwales
Poorfour
beshocked
formerly known as Sam
WELL-PAST-IT
yappysnap
Hood83
Dim
BamBam
Cumbrian
14 posters

Go down

England U20s 6 Nations Squad Empty England U20s 6 Nations Squad

Post by Cumbrian Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:57 pm

http://www.rfu.com/news/2014/january/news-articles/090114_u20_eps_

The positions might be a little off because I haven't followed this group as much as I have in previous years, corrections gratefully accepted.   Very Happy 

Props:

Paul Hill (Leeds)
Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi (Northampton Saints)
Alex Lundberg (London Wasps)
Harry Rudkin (Leicester Tigers)
Scott Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)

Hooker:

Harry Thacker (Leicester Tigers)
Tom Woolstencroft (Bath Rugby)

Lock:

Tom Ellis (Bath)
Jonny Hill (Gloucester)
Maro Itoje (Saracens)

Flanker:

Gus Jones (London Wasps)
Lewis Ludlow (Gloucester Rugby)
Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby)
Will Owen (Leicester Tigers)

No.8:

James Chisholm (Harlequins)
Joel Conlon (Exeter)
Charlie Ewells (Bath)

Scrum Half:
Callum Braley (Bristol Rugby)
Stuart Townsend (Exeter Chiefs)

Fly Half

Billy Burns (Gloucester Rugby)
Louis Grimoldby (Harlequins) 
Sam Olver (Northampton Saints) 

Centres:

Nick Tompkins (Saracens) 
Tom Stephenson (Northampton Saints) 
Harry Sloan (Harlequins) 
Max Stelling (Worcester Warriors) 

Wing:

Nathan Earle (Saracens)
Zach Kibirige (Newcastle Falcons) 
Howard Packman (Northampton Saints) 
Henry Purdy (Leicester Tigers) 

Fullback:

Tom Collins (Northampton Saints)
Aaron Morris (Bedford Blues) 

Friday, January 31: France Under-20s v England Under-20, Stade Leo Lagrange, Draguignan (7.55pm)
Friday, February 7: Scotland Under-20s v England Under-20s, Netherdale, Galashiels (7.30pm)
Saturday, February 22: England Under-20s v Ireland Under-20s, Franklin’s Gardens, Northampton (6.15pm, live on Sky Sports)
Friday March 7: England Under-20s v Wales Under-20s, Kingston Park, Newcastle (7.45pm, live on Sky Sports)
Friday March 14: Italy Under-20s v England Under-20s, Campo Comunale La Colombera, Brescia (kick off  TBC)
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

England U20s 6 Nations Squad Empty Re: England U20s 6 Nations Squad

Post by BamBam Fri 10 Jan 2014, 3:37 pm

Anyone in particular to look out for? I know a few of the names - Itoje, Wilson, Conlon, Kibirige etc, but any others tipped for big things

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 10 Jan 2014, 4:04 pm

I've heard good things about the scrum half Stuart Townsend, he's apparently shown a lot of promise.

James Chisholm captained the U18s and one of my friends who supports Quins was quite complimentary about him.

However, I don't know a huge amount about a lot of these guys either so I am looking forward to watching them in U20s Six Nations.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dim Fri 10 Jan 2014, 4:30 pm

I seem to remember hearing good things about the Tigers hooker Thacker after an LV game or an A team game and I was at school with Woolstencroft. He was two years younger and left for Bryanston when he was 16 so I never actually played with him but he was a sizeable guy for his age and with decent skills. He was also playing 8 at the time so if he's bulked up enough to play hooker without loosing too much pace I imagine he's pretty mobile.

Dim

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 11 Jan 2014, 12:40 pm

I don't think this is a vintage year for our guys. S Wilson could be a very handy player but I'd like someone to drill him on his fitness and improve his carrying, which, for a lad his size, I don't think is good enough. He's a big strong unit though. Kibirige is also a lovely runner, worth watching out for.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 11 Jan 2014, 5:37 pm

From Quins:
Look out for Chisholm junior. He's already played LV rugby and is a physical lad but also scarily quick! Must spend his time off racing big bro!

Grimboldy came to the academy with a lot of expectation but has stuttered so far. Good all rounder for a 10 but not sure if he's close to past 10's.

Sloan is the real star. Exceptional footballer at 12 he's also a brute in contact and looks already like a future Int player.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 11 Jan 2014, 9:24 pm

Tom Collins (I bet his parents had had a few of them before he was named) has played the last 4 games for Saints and is in the team for tomorrow. Played wing the first couple of times and last week full back. He has played most of his rugby at Centre and has progressed through the England ranks so is a very versatile young player. Hopefully not too versatile we don't want another Matt Tait scenario

Against Quins he had a baptism of fire as I don't believe he has played there before at senior level.
He dropped the first high ball but then was as safe as houses.

I think he played his first senior game last January in the LV cup, he is only 18 now so that would have been as a 17 year old. Seems to have an old head on young shoulders.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 12 Jan 2014, 9:16 am

Thacker got his first team debut at 17. Raised a lot of eyebrows in this seasons LV Cup where the diminutive 19 year old showed considerably more power than his frame would lead you to believe, a huge work rate and a skill set more usually seen in the backs (he played 10 before converting). Your stereotypical hooker he is not. Could do with improving his darts and adding another stone in weight though (you could mistake him for a bulky scrum half at present).

Rudkin I know nothing about other than he was an England under 18. Purdy is strong and quick but iffy under the high ball. Will Owen is a hotly tipped scavenging 7 but I've not seen him play yet, here's hoping he's a real Bar Steward in the Back style!

Stelling the Worcester centre is an OC with explosive pace who has looked alright in a woeful Warriors side. Get him running off a big centre and that should work.

Little bit surprised Javiah Pohe isn't in there, he's a centre that can run through brick walls and his handling is pretty good as well. I guess he's been left to get more game time in the LV Cup.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 12 Jan 2014, 9:45 am

Yea aren't some promising players often left out to get more actual club time? I'm sure that happened to Ford in the past... although I may be wrong.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sun 12 Jan 2014, 10:36 am

Nick Tompkins - outside centre is very highly rated by the Saracens coaches. Been putting in some eye catching performances for club and country. I think he won player of the tournament at the Melrose 7s last year. Was really influential in Sarries LV cup win vs wasps this season, played against Scarlets and put in an assured performance.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 12 Jan 2014, 11:45 am

I think I remember that LV game... Definitely remember his name being mentioned a lot. Is he quick or powerful?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sun 12 Jan 2014, 5:49 pm

yappysnap wrote:From Quins:
Look out for Chisholm junior. He's already played LV rugby and is a physical lad but also scarily quick! Must spend his time off racing big bro!

Grimboldy came to the academy with a lot of expectation but has stuttered so far. Good all rounder for a 10 but not sure if he's close to past 10's.

Sloan is the real star. Exceptional footballer at 12 he's also a brute in contact and looks already like a future Int player.

I've only seen Grimoldby in 7s and he's looked pretty good to me. Good reading of the space and kicking game has looked fine. The main issue has been that as a teenager (he was 16 or 17 when he joined the academy) he's been up against much bigger players - looked like he'd bulked up over the summer. What's your basis for saying he's stuttered?
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 13 Jan 2014, 9:12 am

yappysnap wrote:I think I remember that LV game... Definitely remember his name being mentioned a lot. Is he quick or powerful?

Difficult to say how quick he is, I would say he's powerful though for his size. - whatever it is he seems to have the ability to make an impact. Seems to have a good rugby brain too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 13 Jan 2014, 11:08 am

Tompkins? isnt there someone in the senior squad with that name who already has a couple of caps?
 Run 

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 13 Jan 2014, 11:25 am

lostinwales wrote:Tompkins? isnt there someone in the senior squad with that name who already has a couple of caps?
 Run 

Lostinwales different spelling - Joel Tomkins and Nick Tompkins.

An easy mistake that numerous people make.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 13 Jan 2014, 11:27 am

beshocked wrote:
lostinwales wrote:Tompkins? isnt there someone in the senior squad with that name who already has a couple of caps?
 Run 

Lostinwales different spelling - Joel Tomkins and Nick Tompkins.

An easy mistake that numerous people make.

Yes I might just have noticed a couple of posts along those lines before. (hence the run icon)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 13 Jan 2014, 11:33 am

Hood83 wrote:I don't think this is a vintage year for our guys. S Wilson could be a very handy player but I'd like someone to drill him on his fitness and improve his carrying, which, for a lad his size, I don't think is good enough. He's a big strong unit though. Kibirige is also a lovely runner, worth watching out for.
Hood

I think Wilson is coming on nicely...as a young TH i just want him becoming a bull in the scrum and breakdown etc. He's doing that ....his idol is Carl Hayman. He's got alot of competion (and a good training partner)as well from young Keiron Brookes who has been rejuvanated this season and been smashing front rows for fun...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 13 Jan 2014, 11:37 am

Baby Chis is a try scoring, pacy, big skilled forward. Good potential
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 13 Jan 2014, 11:38 am

He's gotten AP game time briefly this season, when Robsgaw was away and all our flankers were injured and Easter was at lock !
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 13 Jan 2014, 1:27 pm

Poorfour, literally just going by A league match reports but in the ones he played the concensus seemed that he struggled at times. Happy to be wrong though and I know he's had injuries too.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 13 Jan 2014, 1:29 pm

If anyone watches SuperRugby then look out for no7 Arde Savea, he's pretty much Baby Chis mk2 (but a little slower  Wink  )

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 13 Jan 2014, 1:33 pm

But none of them are fit to lace Robshaws boots yet...if they reach his level and consistancy then maybe they'll get a look in...likewise Wallace...having a few good games doesnt come close to what Robshaw has been doing for years....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 13 Jan 2014, 1:42 pm

That's because despite nobody else thinking it, Robshaw IS one of the best flankers in the world
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 13 Jan 2014, 1:45 pm

I think it CJ...

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Mon 13 Jan 2014, 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 13 Jan 2014, 1:54 pm

That's because you are a wise man
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 13 Jan 2014, 2:06 pm

Its not difficult to spot quality when all i get to watch is a floating stream of human excrement every week... Wink 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 13 Jan 2014, 2:58 pm

Ah the pleasure of being a Falcons fan!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 13 Jan 2014, 2:59 pm

Or working in a sewer...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 13 Jan 2014, 3:08 pm

Sometimes i wonder myself Yappy, i think they're serving it in pints in the bars at the moment...
Lots of very dissatisifed Falcons...with the whole match day experience...not just the naff on the pitch...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 13 Jan 2014, 4:03 pm

Yea at least if it was 30c and there were dancing girls then there'd be some highlights for you.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 14 Jan 2014, 8:58 pm

If they can't organise a decent pint up at the Falcons their head of stadium facilities should be shot. There's several excellent breweries up there, getting a good local beer on tap should be a doddle.

Dancing girls are ok as a half time distraction but of you're heading to the rugby you want to see some rugby being played. Richards is keeping them in the league but it ain't pretty.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 14 Jan 2014, 9:13 pm

Absolutely Sam... on both the beer and the rugby...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 15 Jan 2014, 7:51 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Hood83 wrote:I don't think this is a vintage year for our guys. S Wilson could be a very handy player but I'd like someone to drill him on his fitness and improve his carrying, which, for a lad his size, I don't think is good enough. He's a big strong unit though. Kibirige is also a lovely runner, worth watching out for.
Hood

I think Wilson is coming on nicely...as a young TH i just want him becoming a bull in the scrum and breakdown etc. He's doing that ....his idol is Carl Hayman. He's got alot of competion (and a good training partner)as well from young Keiron Brookes who has been rejuvanated this season and been smashing front rows for fun...

Had he been playing more regularly I'd have had him in the 6N squad ahead of Thomas, especially with big Davey Wilson injured. Guy has been brilliant this season whenever I've seen him.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 25 Jan 2014, 12:53 pm

Didn't you think that last year though, and we turned out to have the best age-group in the world.

I think there are some excellent players here, notably the centres. It'll be interesting to see how they gell. The No.8's are very good too, and I'm looking forward to seeing the younger Burns and Itoje.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 25 Jan 2014, 1:00 pm

I thought Ewells was a lock, and a highly rated one at that. Itoje certainly used to play 6 as well as lock, and f course was named checked by SL at his interview for the senior job, and I was quite impressed with Moriaty before his red card.

The props are a decent group too, and as someone else said Townsend is very highly regarded. Finally Kiribige has been hyped for a long time.

Of course the proof of the pudding is on the pitch, but there's no lack of talent here.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 26 Jan 2014, 1:10 pm

DaveM wrote:

Didn't you think that last year though, and we turned out to have the best age-group in the world.

I think there are some excellent players here, notably the centres. It'll be interesting to see how they gell. The No.8's are very good too, and I'm looking forward to seeing the younger Burns and Itoje.  

Haha, yes, guilty! Shows how much I know. I'm getting in the excuses early. Last year I was amazed we did so well, in that instance our pack looked very well drilled but also I think we benefitted from an average Baby Blacks team. This year, I probably just don't have enough knowledge of some of the better players.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 26 Jan 2014, 1:37 pm

king_carlos wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:
Hood

Had he been playing more regularly I'd have had him in the 6N squad ahead of Thomas, especially with big Davey Wilson injured. Guy has been brilliant this season whenever I've seen him.

Geordie do you reckon his work-rate has improved? I always felt it looked a level down even at age grade. Kieran Brookes to me is a prospect we just HAVE to get right. OK, this may sound odd, but I have one concern about Brookes...he looks like he has tiny feet. Humour me - it just makes me think his balance when running is a bit of a problem, like he's suddenly going to to topple over! OK, I have no idea what I'm talking about here.

I think Thomas has lots of promise as well, but as a TH who can anchor a scrum and carry well I think Brookes looks a better bet, he's a naturally very big guy. Would like to see him really work on his fringe defence and rucking, that to me would round him off as an international TH.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 30 Jan 2014, 5:05 pm

http://www.rfu.com/news/2014/january/news-articles/290114_20s_team_france

England U20s side vs France.

England Under 20s side to to play France
15 Nathan Earle (Saracens)
14 Zach Kibirige (Newcastle Falcons)
13 Nick Tompkins (Saracens)
12 Tom Stephenson (Northampton Saints)
11 Henry Purdy (Leicester Tigers)
10 Billy Burns (Gloucester Rugby)
9 Callum Braley (Bristol Rugby, captain)

1 Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi (Northampton Saints)
2 Harry Thacker (Leicester Tigers)
3 Paul Hill (Leeds Carnegie)
4 Maro Itoje (Saracens)
5 Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)
6 Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby)
7 Joel Conlon (Exeter Chiefs)
8 James Chisholm (Harlequins)

Replacements:

16 Tom Woolstencroft (Bath Rugby)
17 Alex Lundberg (London Wasps)
18 Adam Jamieson (Bath Rugby)
19 Tom Ellis (Bath Rugby)
20 Will Owen (Leicester Tigers)
21 Henry Taylor (Loughborough University)
22 Sam Olver (Northampton Saints)
23 Howard Packman (Northampton Saints)

Can't say I know too much about the team except I know those Sarries players are pretty decent. Smile 

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 Jan 2014, 8:12 pm

The hooker Thacker is one to watch out for. He looks like a scrum half, has the skillset of a creative back but is deceptively strong and will be in and around all the action. Made his Tigers debut at 17.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 30 Jan 2014, 9:11 pm

Whats with Tigers and their small hookers Sam? More like a playmaking League hooker?

Is this the outcome of the new scrum laws or just what has come through your academy?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 Jan 2014, 10:00 pm

His dad was a hooker for Tigers as well. Troy Thacker, a dynamic hooker apparently who's career was cut short through injury. His brother is playing centre for the academy at the minute. We've always leaned towards the smaller aggressive hookers. Cockers, Chuter, Youngs even West isn't that big (I met him the other day, he looks bigger on tv, nice bloke). Given some of his displays so far Thacker is an abrasive and surprisingly powerful option. Having played 10 and 15 in age grade rugby he's got skills as well. Maybe It's the old school at Tigers, weren't hookers supposed to be short in order to facilitate an easier strike at the ball in ye olde days? May be a benefit to him, he made his debut a couple of years back when we won the LV, he was a second half sub in the win at the Stoop so he was playing hooker under the old laws as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 30 Jan 2014, 10:11 pm

All I'm going to say is, watch James Chisholm...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Feb 2014, 7:43 pm

Good try by Zac Kibirige...after a great break by Tompkins

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Feb 2014, 7:44 pm

England playing a high tempo, and Zacs pace is causing problems for Scotland

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Feb 2014, 7:54 pm

Second try for Nick Tompkins ...the U20's handling is better than the bloody seniors!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Feb 2014, 7:57 pm

Saracens have some awesome kids coming through - Itoje, Tompkins, Earl at 15

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Feb 2014, 7:57 pm

Good try Scotland...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sun 09 Feb 2014, 5:36 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Second try for Nick Tompkins ...the U20's handling is better than the bloody seniors!

The academies are producing players with better and better basics. I'm excited about these centres.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down