The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rescue Clubs

+12
drive4show
graeme
Noshankingtonite
Davie
Doon the Water
LondonJonnyO
K@S
Doc
Eyetoldyouso
McLaren
super_realist
The_Phenom
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rescue Clubs Empty Rescue Clubs

Post by The_Phenom Wed 18 May 2011, 4:22 pm

I'm in the market for a new 5 wood and i'm considering instead opting for a 19 degree rescue club.

I'm an 8 Handicapper and generally consider myself as a good ball striker.

Do you have any recommendations for rescue clubs?

I tried the new titleist 910h and liked it due to the deeper crown appearance (do not like the smaller heads as they seem to have big offsets which are not appealing)

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Rescue Clubs Empty Re: Rescue Clubs

Post by super_realist Wed 18 May 2011, 4:30 pm

You've answered your own question.
As I always say it's not much use asking peoples opinion as it comes down to the shaft. One mans pain is another man's pleasure.
Get what works for you, not what other people recommend as chances are it won't be right for you.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 May 2011, 4:43 pm

I largely agree with SR points about going out and trying the clubs to see what is best for you however I think people could help with suggestions of what each rescue/hybrid is good for. For me the main advantage of a hybrid is the distance it can give you out of snarly lies. As this may be hard to test on the range it might be useful to hear peoples views on the best hybrids out the rough.

I know you have said you do not like the smaller heads but they will be better out of the rough. Secondly I am not sure what clubs you have been looking at but there are many smaller headed rescues with little offset.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Wed 18 May 2011, 4:49 pm

There is an excellent article in this months National Club Golfer magazine on hybrids/rescue. Have a read, then try out.
http://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/hybrids2011/

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 18 May 2011, 5:20 pm

I carry 2 in my bag a 22 and a 26 degree U-Iron and love them. The longest iron I carry is a 5-iron. The distance I get from the utility iron outstrips 3 and 4 iron. Mine are easier to hit as they are actually a shorter shaft than the equivalent iron, and can be used out of the cabbage. I never could it a 3 or 4 iron out of the rough and had to revert to an 8-iron to get me back in play. The u-Iron however can be used just as easy as the 8-iron and I can still get some distance if not reach the green.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Wed 18 May 2011, 5:37 pm

While I agree with SR, the op said he was in the market for a new 5 wood so the question is what is it he wishes to achieve? He needs to do a comparison of what he does with his 5 wood against the Hybrid, there are people who can hit the ball further with their 5 wood than they can with an 18deg Hybrid so if he is one of these will it unbalance his yardages...etc. Just because Hybrids are considered the greatest thing since sliced... doesn't mean you can't replace your old 5 wood with a new one.

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 18 May 2011, 5:42 pm

Have you tried the international rescue? Its FAB
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 18 May 2011, 6:15 pm

Doc
I have news for you
Nobody can hit a 3 and 4 iron out of the rough

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 18 May 2011, 8:04 pm

I've tried rescue clubs and really can't get along with them. For me (21 h/c currently) they should be perfect yet I just can't get comfortable with them.

I still carry 3 and 4 irons and 3 and 5 woods. The woods are better for me (particularly 5 wood) out of light rough - the 3 and 4 irons are more comfortable off a fairway lie.

I'll even take the 3 or 5 wood out of the cabbage (depending on how thick it is) as I feel even if I don't hit it perfectly, I can still duff a wood further than I can duff an iron

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 18 May 2011, 9:26 pm

Phenom I carry 3 (18, 21 and 26 deg) and they've transformed my game. Longest iron I use is a 5-iron these days. recently acquired TM Superfast Burner 2.0 (18 deg). Sceptical about white head (marketing b0ll0x so thought I). Actually hitting some cracking shots with it. Excellent and easier to hit than a traditional 5-wood which is pretty much becoming obsolete these days.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 May 2011, 9:34 pm

I love my 16 and 19 deg rescues, but only since I fitted the correct shaft for me in them, before that they were hopeless. There is not a need for a 3 wood in my bag as the rescues are more reliable, more versatile, easier to hit and bridge a perfect gap between my Driver and 3 Iron

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Wed 18 May 2011, 10:17 pm

love my 19 degree titleist 585h. for some reason i get a low, boring flight with it rather than my 3 and 4 irons which fly much higher, so it gets a lot of use in cross/ headwinds. off the deck or out the rough, it does a great job.

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 18 May 2011, 10:18 pm

What a bunch of wimps! Are you lot men or mice?

Get a 2 iron in the bag!!

8)

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 May 2011, 10:35 pm

Drive

I have not carried a 2 iron since I was around 15 and clearly very foolish. tiger had a titliest 2 iron so I got one too.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 18 May 2011, 10:37 pm

Drive - eek eek. I used to carry a 2-iron, but the only time I used it to any effect was fending off a stray dog on a muni course - does 2-iron therefore class as 'rescue club' Whistle
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 18 May 2011, 10:42 pm

I love my 2 iron, so much so that I actually have 2 of them Very Happy

It's my 'go to' club on short par 4's off the tee and invaluable on links courses when I need to drill one low off the deck.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 19 May 2011, 9:45 am

super_realist wrote:I love my 16 and 19 deg rescues, but only since I fitted the correct shaft for me in them, before that they were hopeless. There is not a need for a 3 wood in my bag as the rescues are more reliable, more versatile, easier to hit and bridge a perfect gap between my Driver and 3 Iron

SR, the last time I was down with my fitter I noticed a 16 degree U-Iron that someone had taken in for re-shafting. I picked it up and my fitter said 'I'd put that down because I can't even hit it'. So I'm impressed mate, as i struggled with an 18 degree as a demo and decided against.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 19 May 2011, 9:53 am

Doc wrote:I carry 2 in my bag a 22 and a 26 degree U-Iron and love them. The longest iron I carry is a 5-iron. The distance I get from the utility iron outstrips 3 and 4 iron. Mine are easier to hit as they are actually a shorter shaft than the equivalent iron, and can be used out of the cabbage. I never could it a 3 or 4 iron out of the rough and had to revert to an 8-iron to get me back in play. The u-Iron however can be used just as easy as the 8-iron and I can still get some distance if not reach the green.

Sorry Doc. Nothing personal but this gets me no end these days. Who, on Earth, thinks that you should be able to hit a 3- or 4-iron out of the rough???? It's meant to be penal. Another reason I think hybrids (says he, hiding his MP FliHis.....) should be outlawed even if it'll never happen. I suppose they could make all rough knee high......

Doon the Water wrote:Doc
I have news for you
Nobody can hit a 3 and 4 iron out of the rough

Indeed.

drive4show wrote:What a bunch of wimps! Are you lot men or mice?

I was a man but I've acquired rodent tendencies now I have a FliHi '2-iron' in the bag. Still have my MacGregor 2-iron when I feel I'm in the groove but even that's a cavity back. How much of a man are you? A caveman with a real blade 2-iron or a New Man with some perimeter weighting?

LondonJonnyO wrote:Have you tried the international rescue? Its FAB

laughing Oh, very good. Made my day that one. I know....little things and all that but you haven't seen how boring my next few days are looking.....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Thu 19 May 2011, 10:51 am

I tried the latest nike vr rescue with a project x shaft yesterday and I hated it. Was playing club night and had 21 points through 8 holes. Used it on my second shot to a reachable par 5 (only time i used it) and totally duffed it and subsequently lost the ball haha. I got a par on the next two holes to finish with 27 points through 11 holes and still didn't finish in the top three. Anyways i've now ordered a 19 degree titleist 910h with a stiff Dianama Kai'li shaft.

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 19 May 2011, 11:10 am

Navy

I'm a 'New Age' man, mine is a Callaway X14, not a butter knife Sad

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Thu 19 May 2011, 11:40 am

i had a wilson staff butter knife 2 iron. i wish i knew where it was now...

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 19 May 2011, 12:36 pm

Thing with any advice you get here or anywhere its never going to be as good as just getting out their and trying everything and going with what's best for you even if it turns out to be the least sexiest option of all the clubs! End of the day everyones taste are different one mans Megn Fox is another mans Bella Emburg......

Mmmmmmmmm Megan "the" Fox............

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 19 May 2011, 12:41 pm

Ah Bellaaaaaaa .....now theres a chick

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May 2011, 12:54 pm

The_Phenom wrote:I tried the latest nike vr rescue with a project x shaft yesterday and I hated it. Was playing club night and had 21 points through 8 holes. Used it on my second shot to a reachable par 5 (only time i used it) and totally duffed it and subsequently lost the ball haha. I got a par on the next two holes to finish with 27 points through 11 holes and still didn't finish in the top three. Anyways i've now ordered a 19 degree titleist 910h with a stiff Dianama Kai'li shaft.

So because you hit a dodgy one you've written that off.... and ordered another club which you haven't tried instead.

That's a great way to order a club. Let me know when it goes on ebay won't you.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Thu 19 May 2011, 1:15 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:
The_Phenom wrote:I tried the latest nike vr rescue with a project x shaft yesterday and I hated it. Was playing club night and had 21 points through 8 holes. Used it on my second shot to a reachable par 5 (only time i used it) and totally duffed it and subsequently lost the ball haha. I got a par on the next two holes to finish with 27 points through 11 holes and still didn't finish in the top three. Anyways i've now ordered a 19 degree titleist 910h with a stiff Dianama Kai'li shaft.

So because you hit a dodgy one you've written that off.... and ordered another club which you haven't tried instead.

If you read my original post you will see that I have already tried the Titleist. My pro recommended the Nike vr but it just didn't look right and I couldn't get comfortable over the ball with it.

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May 2011, 1:31 pm

The_Phenom wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:

If you read my original post you will see that I have already tried the Titleist. My pro recommended the Nike vr but it just didn't look right and I couldn't get comfortable over the ball with it.

Hitting a stick a few times and liking it's looks are hardly trying it. It's being taken in by the marketing.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Thu 19 May 2011, 1:39 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:
The_Phenom wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:

Hitting a stick a few times and liking it's looks are hardly trying it. It's being taken in by the marketing.

I like the looks but I also hit it well. The shots I hit were better than my previous 5 wood and considerably better than the other rescues I've tried thus far. That's the reason why have decided on the titleist.

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Thu 19 May 2011, 3:00 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:
The_Phenom wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:

the amusing WUMming is one thing LJ, but being out and out rude is another. wind yer neck in son.

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 19 May 2011, 3:35 pm

I don't think he's being a WUM. It seems perfectly logical what he's saying. If we all ditched clubs after hitting a singular bad shot no one would be able to afford to play the game.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Thu 19 May 2011, 3:54 pm

i agree s_r, it's not WUMming, it's just being rude.

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May 2011, 3:59 pm

graeme wrote:i agree s_r, it's not WUMming, it's just being rude.

No. It's being straight to the point. But whatever.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 19 May 2011, 4:03 pm

I didn't think he was be rude either, just honest.
The world seems to have taken on this liberal, guardianista agenda where they get offended, upset and their hemp knickers in a twist about someone telling them the truth.

Thank heavens for straight talking people, as for the rest of you, away and knit your yoghurt.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Thu 19 May 2011, 4:15 pm

Who's offended and upset, i'm certainly not. I came here to discuss golf not bicker about nonsense. On the topic of discussion I originally tried out the titleist and liked the shots I hit with it as well as the way it sat behind the ball. Being comfortable over the ball helps with the confidence of being able to stripe it in my opinion. I then tried the nike after a recommendation. I didn't like the look of it behind the ball and as a result would never get comfortable over it. Out of all the rescues I have tried (Titleist, Callaway, Nike) as well as some 5 woods I decided on the Titleist rescue because I had the best results with it! Simples

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 19 May 2011, 4:22 pm

Phenom, glad to hear it, although as a relative newcomer to this board you might find people diving in to be offended on other peoples behalf. A sign of the liberal times I'm afraid, they can't seem to stomach a robust debate, they must insist on being nicey nicey at times when a straight and often blunt answer gets to the point quicker.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Thu 19 May 2011, 5:10 pm

i just get tired of people being rude, there's no need for it. i'm not offended, but getting a little sick of lj not reading the full posting and firing one off half-cocked; yet again; because he likes the sound of his own voice. it begins to grate after a while...

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 19 May 2011, 5:31 pm

The_Phenom wrote:Who's offended and upset, i'm certainly not. I came here to discuss golf not bicker about nonsense. On the topic of discussion I originally tried out the titleist and liked the shots I hit with it as well as the way it sat behind the ball. Being comfortable over the ball helps with the confidence of being able to stripe it in my opinion. I then tried the nike after a recommendation. I didn't like the look of it behind the ball and as a result would never get comfortable over it. Out of all the rescues I have tried (Titleist, Callaway, Nike) as well as some 5 woods I decided on the Titleist rescue because I had the best results with it! Simples

I'm with you. If I don't like how a club sets up behind the ball, there's no way I can hit it well or consistently.

graeme wrote:...because he likes the sound of his own voice...

Do you think LJ talks to the screen as he types? Wink Whistle
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May 2011, 5:39 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
graeme wrote:...because he likes the sound of his own voice...

Do you think LJ talks to the screen as he types? Wink Whistle

I often do as the missus is in my ear about one thing or another.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu 19 May 2011, 6:09 pm

Talking long irons - my 1 iron is still in the bag. Apart from using off some tees, I also hit it quite well off the deck (still practising there). However, an added bonus is - when you play a course with lots of trees like what I does - hitting out of the trees, it keeps lovely and low and in this weather goes a country mile. OK I exaggerated there a bit, but you get the picture.

I do not have a hybrid or a rescue in my bag.....just don't really like them.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 19 May 2011, 6:19 pm

Phenom

With a hybrid I think it is fair to place a fair amount emphasis on how much you like the look of it when deciding which one to go for. After all they are there to instil confidence maybe lost with the long irons or through having a bad lie. When I bought mine there were a few giving similar performance but I chose the one that looked the best.

LJ I think you would be unlikely to buy a club that did not suite your eye?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May 2011, 6:21 pm

Not really Mac. I don't particularly like the look of the MP FliHi. It's chunky and a bit offset. But when I'm in full tilt it goes wonderfully well. So it gets played a lot.

The results are more important than the looks.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu 19 May 2011, 7:34 pm

8)

That's fighting talk Drive boxing we shall see whether your twoey beats my hybrid when I visit your hallowed turf next month Whistle
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 19 May 2011, 7:49 pm

Noshankingtonite wrote:

8)

That's fighting talk Drive boxing we shall see whether your twoey beats my hybrid when I visit your hallowed turf next month Whistle

Woohoo I'm up for that challenge Very Happy

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May 2011, 7:55 pm

Can I referee?
The rules:

No sharpening of leading edges. No baseball grips. No pulling hair. No tour bags unless they are yellow and blue. No bricks in socks.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu 19 May 2011, 8:07 pm

He'd have a job to pull my hair LJ - I'm balder than Kevin Spacey and in fact told I resemble him too (I'm hoping the girls wot said it weren't watching Usual Suspects at the time Sad ) . I'll put my money where my mouth is 'pound a pound a pound - loser also buys the first round'

PS - full handicaps of course [shankinglookinginvainforsombrerosmilie]
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 19 May 2011, 8:16 pm

Noshankingtonite wrote:He'd have a job to pull my hair LJ - I'm balder than Kevin Spacey and in fact told I resemble him too (I'm hoping the girls wot said it weren't watching Usual Suspects at the time Sad ) . I'll put my money where my mouth is 'pound a pound a pound - loser also buys the first round'

PS - full handicaps of course [shankinglookinginvainforsombrerosmilie]

You don't want much do you? Shocked

Still, home advantage so full allowance it is..........

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu 19 May 2011, 8:23 pm

Hah hah hah - he fell for my cunning plan :run1:
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May 2011, 8:33 pm

There is hair in other locations. That can't be pulled either!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu 19 May 2011, 8:38 pm

Way ahead there LJ - I shall ensure I shave my entire body a la Duncan Goodhew before heading darn sarf... that way any hair pulling on any part of my anatomy will be 'an exercise in futility' idea
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Fri 20 May 2011, 5:22 pm

i've got an md seve icon 5 wood, proforce v2 shaft regular, excellent nick but I bought an exotics 4 wood wood so it has been relegated to the corner of spare room, £30 delivered if you are interested...

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat 21 May 2011, 7:07 am

I have to say results are more important than looks yes, but what is it that snares initial interest, its the look of a club, then the feel, and only then the results. Again much like my earlier reference a la megan and bella. First you must like how she looks (without beer goggles) then once you can't stop looking, you have to find a way to get your hands on her (rohipnol isn't allowed..queue comments from mac about me being inappropriate) i find conversation the best and then you get to see how she feels before taking her fr a test drive so speak, but if she don't feel right, bring bella in from the sidelines............... Whistle

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next