The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dr Gregory House's Top 40 Matches of 2013- Part 1

3 posters

Go down

Dr Gregory House's Top 40 Matches of 2013- Part 1 Empty Dr Gregory House's Top 40 Matches of 2013- Part 1

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 20 Jan 2014, 2:26 am

Hi Guys,

With 2013 in the can, I think it's time to look back at what was a fabulous year for in ring action, so I will be giving what is my personal list of the top 40 matches this year (I batted around a few numbers before eventually settling on 40).

The selection criteria follows no specific pattern, from the quality of the in ring action, to the significance of the event, to my personal preference for the people involved, the most important thing is how the match made me feel and if I felt it was worthy of this list.

I've tried to include a little background to each match and facilitate a way for you to watch the match, a link if possible, but some companies like PWG and DGUSA are a nightmare to find online so I'll give links to the DVD and PPV streaming sites I use for both.

Lastly, because I am the most insecure man on earth, apologise if I come across as a little patronising when talking about some of the lesser known companies on this list, I appreciate that many members of this board have a wide knowledge of wrestling but I wanted to take the time to explain to people who mainly concentrate on WWE and TNA why I enjoyed what I watched.

The first part of this list deals with No's 40-31, hope you enjoy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#40- The Big Show (c) vs Alberto Del Rio- World Heavyweight Championship Match- Last Man Standing Match- WWE Smackdown 11/1/13

Just to kick things off, a match, while raved about at the time, has sort of fallen into obscurity as the year went on, against all odds The Big Show and  a newly face, ADR defied all expectations in putting on a gripping last man standing match, full of neat little spots like Del Rio rolling from the ring to get back to his feet, and a pretty interesting finish.

Where can I watch this?- https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwolqh_alberto-del-rio-vs-big-show-last-man-standing_sport?search_algo=2

#39- CM Punk vs Chris Jericho- WWE Payback

I think a few people probably would have had this match higher, but hey it's my list and I really don't like Jericho. Still even I can't deny this was a great match. Fresh from his post mania layoff Punk returned in front of a passionate Chicago crowd and put on nearly 20 minutes of gripping action, the hometown hero vs Mr PPV losing streak, may have had the result in very little doubt, but Jericho more than played his part while Punk proved, once again that there are very few men who can rise to a big occasion like he can.

Where can I watch this?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKQ--hKyT08

#38- The Young Bucks vs AR Fox & Samuray Del Sol- PWG Is Your Body Ready?

Welcome to the whacky world of Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, for me what is probably the most consistent indy promotion for in ring action, and also a promotion that's not shy in throwing out a tag match or two and in The Young Bucks they have a team who for me have established themselves as one of the best tag teams in the world in 2013. Formerly Generation Me in TNA, Nick and Matt Jackson have turned spot fest tag wrestling into an art form, with high octane acrobatics guaranteed in every match, and with DGUSA regulars AR Fox and Samuray Del Sol (now christened Kalisto in WWE development) they had a tandem who could certainly keep up with them in the flying department. This match has everything though, moonsault plachas, 450 splashes over the turnbuckle, somersault fameassers, kip up dropkicks, and as is becoming standard for a Buck's tag match, a closing sequence that will leave you breathless. I realise this isn't to everyone's taste and it is certainly a far cry form some of the hard hitting Japanese matches that are to come later, but this is highflying spot fests at their finest.

Where can I watch this?- http://www.highspots.com/Pro-Wrestling-Guerrilla/pwg-body-ready.html

#37- Sami Zayn vs Adrian Neville- WWE NXT 27/11/13

There's a lot to love about WWE's developmental, simplistic old school plot lines, short, easy to digest length, intriguing commentary partnerships and the chance to see the future of WWE being shaped before our eyes, and occasionally the wrestling blows Raw and Smackdown out the water. That was certainly the case here as indy darlings Zayn (formerlly Generico) and Neville (formerly PAC) went head to head to decide the No 1 contender for Bo Dallas' NXT title, this was an epic back and forth match that was PPV main event quality, with near falls aplenty on both sides, WWE seems to have faith in these guys in NXT at least and after seeing wrestling of this quality, hopefully that faith carries them up to the main roster and beyond.

Where can I watch this?- https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x184mhd_sami-zayn-vs-adrian-neville-nxt-27-11-2013_sport?search_algo=2

#36- Kazuchika Okada vs Satoshi Kojima- NJPW G1 Climax Day 9

This run down, will also give me a chance to give my thoughts on a promotion that has really made me stand up and take notice this year, New Japan Pro Wrestling. This match comes from this years G1 Climax tournament, get ready to read a lot about this tournament as it was a classic, probably one of the greatest since the original Super J Cup in '95. Anyways Kazuchika Okada is the hot young prodigy in NJPW, at just 26 he is in his second run as champion and is one of the best workers in the world, his opponent Kojima has been around the block a few times, 17 years Okada's senior he's held the top belts in New and All Japan. Anyways, on a 9 day run of fantastic matches these two combined in a sizzler as the veteran turned back the clock to beat the brash young champion and earn a title shot at the next PPV (which was also quite good).

Where can I watch this?- https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x137rda_satoshi-kojima-vs-kazuchika-okada-njpw_sport?search_algo=2

#35- The Shield vs John Cena, Sheamus & Ryback- WWE Elimination Chamber

Back in February last year, the Shield were still very much an unknown quantity, and many of us, including myself, felt WWE were leading them as lambs to the slaughter against the babyface dream team of Cena, Sheamus and the ,at that time, unstoppable Ryback. Not only did they shock the world by actually winning the match but they also proved that their awesome performance from TLC the previous year was no fluke as they entered another MOTN display showing innovative, by WWE standards, triple teamwork manoveres, and debuting the now staple monster spear by Reigns through the barricade to Sheamus.

Where can I watch this?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpkcupjRpgQ

#34- Undertaker vs Dean Ambrose- WWE Smackdown 26/4/13

A match for me that was more about occasion than anything else, to see 'Taker back on TV was a treat in itself, to see him vs a personal fave of mine in Ambrose in his singles debut was the cherry on the cake. Still that's not to take away from the match itself which was very good and I think proved that both men have chemistry should WWE ever choose to take that route.

Where can I watch this?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcHwp3BV_7w

#33- Alberto Del Rio (c) vs Christian- World Heavyweight Championship Match- WWE Summerslam

Alberto Del Rio features twice in a top 40 matches of the year list? Either I'm going mad or perhaps under that great vacuum of charisma, there's a decent worker in there. Still this match for me wasn't really about Del Rio, though he more than played his part, but more about his opponent, who I will say once again, perhaps controversially, is one of the most underrated performers in the business, everything about this match was great, from the 'one more match' schtick in the build up to the match itself, which for me as a die hard Christian fan anyways, was packed with excitement and drama, could have been MOTN on many lesser PPVs but it was unlucky to find itself on what was probably the most exceptional US card this year, but more of that later.

Where can I watch this?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X25B8pnkfk

#32-  Adam Cole vs Michael Elgin- ROH World Championship Match- ROH Death Before Dishonor 11

The sole Ring of Honor entry in this year's list, ROH is a promotion I haven't been too hot on this year, though a few matches came close to making the cut, I've found the whole promotion, between S.C.U.M and Jay Briscoe's title reign a bit uninspired. They are now though (as ROH often do so well) in the process of rebuilding, and the rebuild probably started with this match as two of the companies and indy wrestling in general, brightest young stars clashed for the world title, Cole is a young man with the world at his feet, at on 24 he is already an accomplished in ring worker and talker of world championship calibre, his opponent Elgin on the other hand, is a machine, himself only in his late 20's is arguably the best power man in wrestling today. This was a very good match and while there may have been matches that ROH fans could argue were better than this, no other match was as significant and exciting as this one.

Where can I watch this?- This is the most trouble I've had securing a link, I originally watched it here http://www.gfl.tv/priv/showSearchResults.do?searchTerm=Ring+of+Honor+-+Death+Before+Dishonor+XI+%5B2013-09-20%5D&type=Fighter&actorId=&eventId=2154&venueId=&rightsownersId=, it is/was a free stream for the whole IPPV so hopefully people can still get it to work

#31- Prince Devitt (c) vs Low Ki vs Kota Ibushi- IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship Match- NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 7

You'll probably notice as this list continues, I'll go on to praise NJPW quite a lot, but I am not immune to criticising them. One of the most significant and indeed controversial happenings in New Japan this year has been the formation of the Bullet Club stable. A faction of evil Gajin (foreigners) led by Ireland's own Fergal 'Prince' Devitt. Since the formation of the Club, matches of it's members have been replete with interference, a concept considered shocking in Japan though many TNA fans probably won't bat an eye lid, while this ground breaking concept has pushed Devitt's ascent into the heavyweight ranks, it has stunted one of his best natural assests, his ability to go out and just wrestle. On his day County Wicklow's finest is one of the best junior heavyweights in the world, and no better match showcased this, this year than his early outing as babyface champion against the often underrated Low Ki (here dressed as Agent 47 for no adequately explained reason) and a mercurial highflyer I'll talk a bit more later Kota Ibushi, the result is a near 15 minute clinic showcasing the best of Japanese junior heavyweight wrestling, with a finishing sequence that is something to behold, I've even found a link with English commentary because I'm nice like that.

Where can I watch this?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdlEnQw9lyQ

Hope you enjoyed reading it, hopefully part 2 (No's 30-21) will be up tomorrow, until then all comments and criticisms welcomed Smile

Greg  thumbsup

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Dr Gregory House's Top 40 Matches of 2013- Part 1 Empty Re: Dr Gregory House's Top 40 Matches of 2013- Part 1

Post by Crimey Mon 20 Jan 2014, 8:33 am

For me the Punk/Jericho match was a good match but ruined because I didn't think Punk should have been brought back so quickly and certainly not against Jericho in a horribly put together feud. It ruined it somewhat as I was hoping for a swerve so all through the match I felt I couldn't enjoy it as I was worried about Punk's health and how that would affect him in the future. Since then Punk has had several top quality matches, including probably my favourite ever versus Lesnar but I still can't help but notice his obvious lack of fitness and for me it all comes back to that match where he was brought back far too soon for a throwaway match.

I don't think it should be controversial that Del Rio is in here twice, I think sometimes the level of frustration towards Del Rio is higher because we know he can put on a good match, we know he can be in a compelling feud and we know he's capable of better than what he does most weeks. He can obviously have good matches, it's just a shame they're not more often.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dr Gregory House's Top 40 Matches of 2013- Part 1 Empty Re: Dr Gregory House's Top 40 Matches of 2013- Part 1

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 14 Feb 2014, 3:04 pm

Happy to see the Del Rio/Show match mentioned, think its taken a hit being worse on the list than ADR Christian.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down