The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dr Gregory House's Top 40 Matches of 2013- Part 4

+4
AberdeenSteve
Samo
Mr H
Dr Gregory House MD
8 posters

Go down

Dr Gregory House's Top 40 Matches of 2013- Part 4 Empty Dr Gregory House's Top 40 Matches of 2013- Part 4

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 19 Jun 2014, 12:50 pm

V2..it's here (blows out gas lamp), yes the final part of my countdown of the top wrestling matches of a calendar year that finished over 6 months ago

Links to part 1- https://www.606v2.com/t51148-dr-gregory-house-s-top-40-matches-of-2013-part-1?highlight=dr+gregory+house
Links to part 2- https://www.606v2.com/t51912-dr-gregory-house-s-top-40-matches-of-2013-part-2?highlight=dr+gregory+house
Links to part 3- https://www.606v2.com/t53490-dr-gregory-house-s-top-40-matches-of-2013-part-3?highlight=dr+gregory+house

The selection criteria follows no specific pattern, from the quality of the in ring action, to the significance of the event, to my personal preference for the people involved, the most important thing is how the match made me feel and if I felt it was worthy of this list.

I've tried to include a little background to each match and facilitate a way for you to watch the match, a link if possible, but some companies like PWG and DGUSA are a nightmare to find online so I'll give links to the DVD and PPV streaming sites I use for both.

Lastly, because I am the most insecure man on earth, apologise if I come across as a little patronising when talking about some of the lesser known companies on this list, I appreciate that many members of this board have a wide knowledge of wrestling but I wanted to take the time to explain to people who mainly concentrate on WWE and TNA why I enjoyed what I watched.

With all the inevitable finality of a popular Game of Throne's character, the end is here as I count down matches 10-1, please enjoy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#10- Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada III- IWGP Championship Match- NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 7

Flair vs Steamboat, Austin vs Rock, Misawa vs Kobashi, Ziggler vs Kingston, wrestling is full of iconic rivalries, and now a new series can be added to that list, Tanahashi vs Okada for 2012/13, first a little bit of history, While now an established star, in early 2012 Okada was baisically a nobody, fresh off his historic run in TNA (please note the sarcasm), Okada returned to New Japan with not much going for him, but a metioric rise in the first 2 months of 2012 was capped off by what was called in NJPW 'The Upset of the Century' as he defeated Tanahashi to end his record setting (in terms of defences), 5th title reign, after a few enjoyable defences proving his win was no fluke, Okada eventually dropped the title back to Tanahashi for his record equalling 6th reign, Wanting another crack at the title Okada won the 22nd G1 Climax and the rematch was set for the main event of New Japan's biggest show of the year, Wrestle Kingdom, the match itself is fantastic built around the finishing moves of the two men and their desire to hit them, many were felt a little deflated when Tanahashi picked up the win after Okada's meteoric rise and how a trilogy tends to work in a wrestling fan's mind, but little did we know that NJPW were (not for the first time), playing the long game and the best was yet to come.

Where can I watch this?- https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwhroq_hiroshi-tanahashi-vs-kazuchika-okada-njpw-wrestle-kingdom-7-2013_sport

#9- Adam Cole (c) vs Sami Callihan- PWG World Championship Match- 1 Hour Ironman Match- PWG Is Your Body Ready?

Match of the Year for me in one of the promotions I hold closest to my heart, in his last match for PWG, Sami Callihan challenges Adam Cole for the world title (there is precedence for champions to win in their last match so don't think it was a forgone conclusion), I must admit going in I was a little nervous about the prospect of a 1 Hour Ironman, I'm not usually a big fan of the format, but the hour went by very easily, the crowd were red hot to see cult favourite Sami dethrone the despicable Panama City Playboy, and there were loads of fun spots to break the match up and pass the time, particular highlights for me were members of the crowd carrying Sami back to the ring as Cole looked for a countout victory and a exchange of Stunners, Rock Bottoms and People's Elbows that sent the crowd wild like it was Wrestlemania 17 all over again, another credit is that despite this being a high scoring match nothing felt convoluted and I could easily buy the logic of the falls, the drama at the finish is great, easily my favourite Ironman match since Angle vs Lesnar.

Where can I watch this?- http://www.highspots.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=HS&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VD_pwg_isyourbodyready

#8- The Rhodes Brothers w Dusty Rhodes vs The Shield w Dean Ambrose- WWE Battleground

Remember when the Rhodes Brothers were a relevant part of the WWE?, guess what they were over, of the handful of people outside of Daniel Bryan to benefit from the Authority storyline, this run provided a career renaissance for Cody as much as Goldust, the simple old school storytelling really made this match for me, a family battling for their livelihoods against the man, it was the real relatable emotion conjured up by this story that made this match so compelling for me, not to say that this was in any way shabby in ring, Cody and Goldust proved what excellent workers they are, while Reigns and Rollins, well they're the Shield aren't they, even Ambrose and Dusty did their bit on the outside with 'The American Dream' doing just enough to get a nostalgia pop for the crowd without overshadowing his boys, in the end Cody's match winning Cross Rhodes is a thing of beauty.

Where can I watch this?- https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x185wxi_cody-rhodes-goldust-and-dusty-rhodes-vs-the-shield-battleground-2013-full-match-hd_sport

#7- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kazuchika Okada V- NJPW G1 Climax Day 8

Things are a little out of sequence as we jump from Tanahashi vs Okada's 5th encounter, obviously as I'm doing this on match quality, as these two met on the penultimate day of one of the greatest wrestling tournaments ever held (have I mentioned it's really, really good), with the score tied at 2 wins a piece, a hot Tokyo crowd was buzzing at the prospect of seeing a rubber match between the pair, while they were denied that by a time limit draw (possibly the only criteria that stops this match being ranked higher), for what time the boys did have they treated the crowd to nothing short a wrestling masterclass, building on matches they had before, it included the now classic spot of Tanahashi hitting his own Rainmaker (Okada's insanely brilliant lariat finisher) to Okada, when Okada kicked out it had everyone on their feet, including me and I knew the result before watching it! Basically this is another classic match from a classic rivalry, the confines of the tournament situation and the lack of the clean finish are what prevents this match from getting any higher, but I'd defy anyone to produce something better in the same situation.

Where can I watch this?- https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x135a7k_hiroshi-tanahashi-vs-kazuchika-okada-njpw-g1-climax-23-08-10-13_sport

#6- Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kota Ibushi- NJPW G1 Climax Day 4

For me the best match from NJPW's extraordinary G1 Climax tournament (don't know if I've mentioned how good it was), Nakamura as one of NJPW's top stars was looking for a good tournament while Ibushi as I've mentioned was looking to prove himself as more than just an incredible highflyer and show that he could mix it with the big boys, and there in is essentially the story of this match, Nakamura went into the match with a confidence bordering on arrogance at the prospect at beating his smaller, slighter opponent, Ibushi on the other hand has other ideas, reminding me of a young 1-2-3 Kid, he trades strikes and shows his impressive ground game against Nakamura, as well as taking to the skys, roared on by a hot Osaka crowd, though Ibushi falls to defeat he gains the respect of the fans and Nakamura, for a guy who wasn't even contracted to New Japan at this point it was a very impressive showing.

Where can I watch this?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSSXiUKqyUM

#5- John Cena vs CM Punk- No 1 Contenders Match- WWE Raw 25/2/13

A top 5 MOTY contender, held on Raw, between two guys who's next and last PPV appearances were disappointing showings against The Rock, maybe going 'one on one with the great one' isn't conducive to match quality at this stage in his career, anyways a free TV gem, a match between Rumble winner Cena and former champion Punk to decide who will go on to face The Rock for the title at 'Mania, this match is balls to the wall action right from the start, with each man pulling out moves we don't normally see from them like Cena's powerbomb and Punk's piledriver, what this match lacks in psychology it makes up for in action, this break in normal WWE match protocol, draws the crowd in with ever more seeming like it could be the last, a match that out Wrestlemania main evented the Wrestlemania main event they were fighting for.

#4- John Cena (c) vs Daniel Bryan- WWE Championship Match- WWE Summerslam

Bryan Danielson, The American Dragon, King of the Indies and Best in the World, WWE Champion? It seems mad to have even considered that 2-3 years ago, but one Sunday night in August he got his chance, it seems silly looking back but all considerations of match quality aside this match had me hooked simply by the prospect if Bryan could pull it off, I'd been a huge fan of his since I'd seen his match with KENTA at Glory by Honor V and the idea that he could upset the odds and become probably the most unlikely WWE champion ever sold me, it didn't hurt that this was a very solid match to boot, Bryan was excellent as always and Cena proved yet again, in the right situation with the right opponent he can putting on gripping matches with the best of them, as momentum swing backwards and forwards I was in doubt to the very end and when Bryan's hand was raised at the end I was gripped by a kind of (ultimately short lived) elation that I hadn't felt in years, proof that when you connect with a wrestler that sometimes wins and losses do matter and that night Bryan's triumph meant everything to me.

Where can I watch this?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZL_vaGC6gE

#3- Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada IV- IWGP Championship Match- NJPW Invasion Attack

Here we go again, fresh off his deflating loss to Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom, Okada rebounded by winning the New Japan Cup, which entitles him to a championship match of his choosing, obviously he wanted his rematch against Tanahashi, The two met again in what would go down in  the opinion of Dave Meltzer as a 5 star match and his MOTY, probably the most technically proficient of all the matches in the series the stories in the match built upon the previous trilogy with the main theme being Tanahashi's destruction of Okada's arm in a bid to avoid the dread Rainmaker, and for those who say there's no selling in Poresu, watching Okada sell the arm is incredible, from the constant shaking out the pain to subtly switching elbow pads, still it's all in vain for Tanahashi as Okada pulled out the win to cement himself at only 24 as one of the big players in world wrestling.

Where can I watch this?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_YrShl3bw&feature=kp

#2- Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi VI- IWGP Championship Match- NJPW King of Pro Wrestling

The final match in this classic series, with the scores tied at 2-2-1 Okada and Tanahashi do battle one more time to decide the ace of Japanese wrestling, while this takes place in a promotion that speaks a language I do not understand, this rivalry for me transcends words, it's a story of a living legend vs the talented but arrogant young pretender, what started off as a shock 'upset' for Okada 18 months previously has transformed into a battle between to equals each looking to be top dog, for me it bears a lot of similarities to the rivalry between Federer and Nadal, with each passing encounter it looks like Nadal the perceived talented No 2 looking to become equal or surpass the perceived greatest of his generation in Federer, could this match be Okada's Wimbeldon 2008, or could Tanahashi turn back the young pretender one more time? If comparing this match to tennis doesn't get you excited I don't know what will! There's not much more you can say about these two matches that haven't already been said, it's simply a pro wrestling masterclass, each encounter building on the last, the working of body parts, again Tanahashi trying to nullify the Rainmaker by working the arm, the selling, the facials, the crowd heat, the counters to your counter's counters, it's just perfection, I've heard some argue that in terms of technical proficiency this match falls below their Invasion Attack classic, but for me, the situation and drama override that, what match could possibly be better than this?

Where can I watch this?- https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1602a3_kazuchika-okada-c-vs-hiroshi-tanahashi-njpw_sport

#1- CM Punk vs Brock Lesnar- No DQ Match- WWE Summerslam

As much as I like to wax lyrical about New Japan's phenomenal year, at heart I'm still a WWE boy, and not match this year had me more excited than 'The Best vs The Beast', I think one of the biggest compliments I can give this match was that it played out exactly how I expected it to and I was still on the edge of my seat, marking out through the whole thing, this was the match the excellent verbal feud between Punk and Heyman deserved (though sadly I think we can all agreed it peaked here), and every man played their role to perfection, Heyman was the consummate weasel in and out of the ring, while Lesnar proved yet again there is no one else like him in pro wrestling in terms of sheer physicality and brutality, Punk, well, I've always said he's a big match player and for me this was easily the finest outing of his career, in terms of technical proficiency, it's a no contest between this and some of the Tanahashi/Okada battles but in terms of spectacle and raw emotion nothing had me in the palm of its hand like this match, and for me that's why it is 2013's Number 1 Match.

Where can I watch this?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWBg2UNdkdQ

Hope you all enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed making it, as always all thoughts, comments and criticisms welcomed

Greg thumbsup

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Dr Gregory House's Top 40 Matches of 2013- Part 4 Empty Re: Dr Gregory House's Top 40 Matches of 2013- Part 4

Post by Mr H Thu 19 Jun 2014, 1:32 pm

Amen to that brother. Enjoyed reading all of that. My knowledge of NJPW isn't all that but big respect for giving me an insight. Absolutely 100% agree with your #1 choice too.

Top work G  OK 

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Dr Gregory House's Top 40 Matches of 2013- Part 4 Empty Re: Dr Gregory House's Top 40 Matches of 2013- Part 4

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 19 Jun 2014, 3:54 pm

Mr H wrote:Amen to that brother. Enjoyed reading all of that. My knowledge of NJPW isn't all that but big respect for giving me an insight. Absolutely 100% agree with your #1 choice too.

Top work G  OK 

Cheers H, means a lot

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 19 Jun 2014, 4:34 pm

Yeah I would have to agree with No 1.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Fri 20 Jun 2014, 4:13 pm

So glad to see Adam Cole v Sami Callihan in there Greg, absolute stonker of a match up. One of the most hard hitting battles I've ever seen.

Can't disagree with any of that top 10, fantastic read

clap clap

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Fri 20 Jun 2014, 4:43 pm

Thanks very much gents

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 20 Jun 2014, 5:07 pm

Best vs Beast  OK 

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sat 21 Jun 2014, 3:02 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Best vs Beast  OK 

I'm pleased that my choice of #1 has placated one of your racist or homophobic rants

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 21 Jun 2014, 3:45 am

Neither of those is a bisexual wrestler from Japan so I conclude that my views must be correct and I have won

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sat 21 Jun 2014, 3:47 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Neither of those is a bisexual wrestler from Japan so I conclude that my views must be correct and I have won

You clearly don't know the whole story about Brock Lesnar

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 21 Jun 2014, 5:18 am

Least its not Punk. I'd heard rumours he was China Made, and with my views thats pretty much the same thing.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 21 Jun 2014, 3:06 pm

Fantastic DR G  OK

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 22 Jun 2014, 1:05 am

NickisBHAFC wrote:Fantastic DR G  OK

Thanks Nicky x

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 22 Jun 2014, 9:51 am

Gregory, just out of interest..

What is your top match of 2014 so far?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 22 Jun 2014, 10:42 am

At the moment Cesaro vs Zayn from NXT Arrival probably takes it by a nose from Ishii vs Naito at New Beginning in Osaka, with Shield vs Wyatts from EC in 3rd, I think had the Ibushi vs Ricochet match from yesterday been given an extra few minutes it could have been right up there, truly breath taking athleticism

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 22 Jun 2014, 10:45 am

Oh and anything involving The Menagerie obviously...

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 22 Jun 2014, 2:06 pm

Such a brilliant list, I read this when you posted it but never had the time to watch all the matches, I have now, incredibly informative

I couldn't argue with the order of your selections, I might have lumped on Cena/Bryan to take number one spot over Punk/Lesnar but thats just a personal preference.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun 22 Jun 2014, 2:16 pm

I think people remember the Cena/Bryan match as more than it was, because of the aftermath. Thats my opinion anyway.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 22 Jun 2014, 2:16 pm

Samo wrote:I think people remember the Cena/Bryan match as more than it was, because of the aftermath.  Thats my opinion anyway.

I don't

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 22 Jun 2014, 2:18 pm

Yeah I totally disagree, thought that the Bryan-Cena match was already fantastic, Bryan winning was the icing on top of the cake and the swerve even better. 

I do agree with House though that the Punk-Lesnar match was better, think that is probably my favourite match of all time and it's a shame WWE didn't follow the logical story-telling and have the rematch as the headliner of Wrestlemania 30.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 22 Jun 2014, 3:24 pm

Samo wrote:I think people remember the Cena/Bryan match as more than it was, because of the aftermath.  Thats my opinion anyway.

It's a fair opinion but I disagree, for me it's the other way around if anything, like I outlined, I think the main emotional selling point for me was that going into the match, I really wanted Bryan to win but genuinely didn't know if he could pull it off, now that Bryan is a 3x champion who closed out WM30, I think that will seem silly to someone looking back in even a couple of years time, the match itself is as solid a WWE title match as you are likely to see, but the extra emotional dimension came before the match not afterwards, and although the swerve furthered the emotional rollercoaster of the match, I wouldn't say it had any bearing on my opinion of it, if anything it probably took away from the match as genuine disappointment is not a feeling you generally associate with your favourite wrestling matches.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 22 Jun 2014, 3:28 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:Such a brilliant list, I read this when you posted it but never had the time to watch all the matches, I have now, incredibly informative

I couldn't argue with the order of your selections, I might have lumped on Cena/Bryan to take number one spot over Punk/Lesnar but thats just a personal preference.

Cheers Kayfabe, thank you for taking the time to watch the matches as well, it's not particularly arduous to tack them on to the end of the list, but it's nice to know someone is watching them.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 22 Jun 2014, 3:39 pm

I absolutely loved that Cody Rhodes/Goldust vs Reigns/Rollins match. You know a story is good when the fans actually really wanted the Shield to lose.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 22 Jun 2014, 3:42 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I absolutely loved that Cody Rhodes/Goldust vs Reigns/Rollins match. You know a story is good when the fans actually really wanted the Shield to lose.

Be careful, Hero's banned folk for less

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 22 Jun 2014, 7:16 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I absolutely loved that Cody Rhodes/Goldust vs Reigns/Rollins match. You know a story is good when the fans actually really wanted the Shield to lose.

If there is a more simplistic storyline booked since the Attitudr Era I'll be amazed, proof if any was needed that simple logical booking can and does still work

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down