The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ricky Hatton Gets On His Bike To Help The Homeless

+4
3fingers
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
hampo17
8 posters

Go down

Ricky Hatton Gets On His Bike To Help The Homeless Empty Ricky Hatton Gets On His Bike To Help The Homeless

Post by hampo17 Thu 23 Jan 2014, 8:35 am

RICKY HATTON is helping the homeless get a roof over their heads by cycling to the roof of Europe.

The four-time world boxing champion will take part in the 140km La Mont Blanc cycle on July 20 in order to raise money for Manchester-based charity Barnabus.

Founded 23 years ago, Barnabus supports the homeless through its outreach, drop-in and collaborative projects.

The charity is able to help between 500 and 600 vulnerable people each week, but due to a sharp rise in demand, it now needs to raise £150,000 in order to extend its premises and improve its medical facilities.

Hatton has already begun his training and is aiming to be in peak condition for the gruelling task.

"Often, when I'm out in Manchester, I see people sleeping rough and it's really upsetting," he said.

"Barnabus is a charity close to my heart, I'm patron now and I'm keen to do all I can to help them.

"The work they do is incredible, but there's always that little bit more that can be done and I hope everyone digs deep to support me on this cycle ride so they can get the extension they deserve."

Ricky will be riding a state-of-the-art carbon fibre cycle kindly donated by Cycle Division in South Normanton, Derbyshire.

He will be joined by Hatton Promotions' head of boxing Richard Poxon and unbeaten Sheffield prospects Adam Etches and Scott Jenkins, who are all raising funds for the teenage unit at Weston Park Cancer Hospital.

To sponsor Ricky please visit www.justgiving.com/ricky-Hatton-MBE

http://v2journal.com/16/post/2014/01/ricky-gets-on-his-bike-to-help-the-homeless.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ricky Hatton Gets On His Bike To Help The Homeless Empty Re: Ricky Hatton Gets On His Bike To Help The Homeless

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 23 Jan 2014, 10:10 am

I like the guy always have.............No crap with this guy he is what he is ...and I imagine one of the few boxers who is approachable.........

No surprise he's doing this...........Good luck to him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Ricky Hatton Gets On His Bike To Help The Homeless Empty Re: Ricky Hatton Gets On His Bike To Help The Homeless

Post by Guest Thu 23 Jan 2014, 10:36 am

My only issue with this is the fact that they want to raise £150k through public donations and the man at the forefront of this campaign is a multimillionaire to whom that sum would be no great loss.

I appreciate that Hatton wants to raise public awareness but FFS sake just stick you hand in your pocket and do it yourself mate.

It's like those One Direction w*nkers telling us that if we donate a fiver we could save a life. Er, you all have in excess of £20 million each so why don't you donate some of your hard earned money and save several hundred lives?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 23 Jan 2014, 10:42 am

You don't know what Hatton is worth...........Maybe he has donated a fair sum himself also...

By getting a name to front the pledge.......It brings needed publicity to the campaign, raises awareness and ups contributions..

He doesn't have to lend his name and HAS........You are being unfair..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:08 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You don't know what Hatton is worth...........Maybe he has donated a fair sum himself also...

By getting a name to front the pledge.......It brings needed publicity to the campaign, raises awareness and ups contributions..

Think he's worth a few quid still.....

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:12 am

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You don't know what Hatton is worth...........Maybe he has donated a fair sum himself also...

Now that's more like it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:19 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Now that's more like it..
And by "few quid" I don't mean the moth eaten £20 note I have in my wallet. Not being unfair at all...he's doing good but there's also the shameless publicity from the people providing his bike...why don't they just chip in a few quif as well. maybe Holyfield could donate some of his Big Brother earnings (he was with Hatton recently feeding the homeless so it's not that far fetched an idea)

It's all easy stuff really...stop flying celebrities to poverty stricken countries along with countless crew members and cases full of expensive equipment and use that money to ship food/aid over instead.

Or am I being too simplistic?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:24 am

Cool ......I knew that throwaway line would elicit a "Toys out of pram" response.. thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:25 am

A bit of a controversial view here but would it not be right just to A bomb these poor countries and halt the suffering there?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:30 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Cool ......I knew that throwaway line would elicit a "Toys out of pram" response.. thumbsup 
Why is it a "toys out of the pram" response, because you say it is? It's a reasonable reply to a reasonable response from you.

I think you're being a tad over-sensitive just because I pointed out you're behaving exactly like the board's premier Mr Winklechops, STRONGBACK. now, I can see why that would irk you but don't take it out on me, just try and modify your own behaviour and we'll all get along nicely

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:53 am

I'm not ranting Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:56 am

Didn't say you were, just suggesting you should play nicely.

Would have thought that Utd's demise at the hands of Sunderland would have you smiling from ear to ear

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:04 pm

I'm loving every minute of it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:07 pm

I'm struggling as my wife is a Utd fan and she's also at that awkward "hormonally erratic" stage of her pregnancy which means I don't know what to say without risking carnage

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:08 pm

Best to keep the fist pumps to a minimum then.........

Even when you are discussing Utd.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:10 pm

Rowley's currently berating me for dissing Marlon Brando...he should see how I feigned shocked and anguish during that penalty shoot-out. Then he'd know what great f*****g acting really is!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:14 pm

My Wife used to joke that she hates football and so does my husband...He supports City !!!

But she's gone quiet on that one now !!  thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:15 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm loving every minute of it..

Why?

because you're team is propped up by some overseas investor?

At least when UTD dominated we did it with BRITISH money, BRITISH players and BRITISH football.

you're just a bunch of mercenaries.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:15 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:My Wife used to joke that she hates football and so does my husband...He supports City !!!

But she's gone quiet on that one now !!   thumbsup 
Hope it lasts

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:18 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm loving every minute of it..

Why?

because you're team is propped up by some overseas investor?

At least when UTD dominated we did it with BRITISH money, BRITISH players and BRITISH football.

you're just a bunch of mercenaries.

You can spell when you try...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:19 pm

I take it he's not actually cycling and instead doing this on a Fat Bike?

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:28 pm

A mate of mine did some pad work with him last week. He said he was a nice guy. Good luck to him.

He's got some tough work to get fit for that though.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:40 pm

I can see OneTwo's thinking regards Hatton could just put money forward himself; but I do think he most likely has and we actually discussed a story last night regards him....a bloke came forward a few months ago and said that Ricky had saved his life...he'd walked past the homeless fella and spent time chatting to him and gave him £500 quid.

By all accounts the bloke is back on his feet with a roof over his head and a full time job! Quite a nice story to hear and something which I certainly don't think you'd see too many people doing.

Lest we forget Ricky has also opened a community gym; free to impoverished youngsters and has done plenty of charity work in the past.

To be honest, it's nice to see him doing it just for his own sanity as well; he needs something to be constantly focused on given his demons!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 23 Jan 2014, 2:36 pm

Whenever I see him make an appearance these days he looks like a homeless person himself

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 23 Jan 2014, 2:48 pm

Suggesting he should pay it himself is all a bit silly. I am sure he could afford to do it, but is he expected to chuck in himself every time a worthy cause crosses his path, he will be skint within no time. Have no problem with someone like Hatton doing this as far as I know he pays his taxes and does not try to avoid these through dodgy off shore schemes etc so as far as I am concerns he does his bit. I get more wound up when tax exile idiots like Lewis Hamilton appear on Sport Relief reminding us all of our responsibility to those less fortunate than ourselves.

Good luck to Hatton, nice gesture from one of the sports good guys.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Jan 2014, 2:59 pm

Rowley wrote:Suggesting he should pay it himself is all a bit silly. I am sure he could afford to do it, but is he expected to chuck in himself every time a worthy cause crosses his path, he will be skint within no time. Have no problem with someone like Hatton doing this as far as I know he pays his taxes and does not try to avoid these through dodgy off shore schemes etc so as far as I am concerns he does his bit. I get more wound up when tax exile idiots like Lewis Hamilton appear on Sport Relief reminding us all of our responsibility to those less fortunate than ourselves.

Good luck to Hatton, nice gesture from one of the sports good guys.
No, but he could be selective with his charities like my Auntie. "Sorry love, I don't do Cancer" is one of her more memorable lines.

Anyway, I do wish people would stop taking things i say so literally....except STEFFAN!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down