The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ricky Hatton

+16
DuransHorse
Mad for Chelsea
88Chris05
Coxy001
TopHat24/7
Scottrf
Rodney
irishbrads
ShahenshahG
catchweight
AlexHuckerby
Nico the gman
Hammersmith harrier
TRUSSMAN66
hampo17
AdamT
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ricky Hatton Empty Ricky Hatton

Post by AdamT Sat 25 Apr 2015, 8:58 am

Big fan of him. Was a solid fighter and a stand up guy.

But for Heavens sake Ricky, STOP blaming the referee for the Floyd loss.

He maybe did break Rickys stride but to be honest, in all Rickys biggest wins, he done far to much grabbing and wrestling trying to wear opponents down. Even in the times Cortez, let him work inside, Mayweather was still getting the upper hand on him. Ricky seems to have this notion he is a tougher guy and could bully Floyd inside. He had no chance. Floyd could out box Ricky and out slug him if required.

I like Ricky and I don't like having to say this but time to let it go. You could never beat Floyd or Manny in a million years even if you were allowed to fight dirty.

Yes I am a bit hungover and on a bit of a rant, but everytime I see an interview with Hatton he goes over the same old s..t excuses, not only in this fight but the Pacquiao fight as well.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Ricky Hatton Empty Re: Ricky Hatton

Post by hampo17 Sat 25 Apr 2015, 9:02 am

Last thing I've heard him say on the matter was that he could blame the referee, or his trainer but the real reason he lost was that Mayweather was better.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 25 Apr 2015, 9:06 am

Ricky Hatton has spoken exclusively to Sportsmail about Floyd Mayweather v Manny Pacquiao on May 2
Hatton faced both Mayweather and Pacquiao during his career and knows how devastating they can be
Hatton, who will be ringside on May 2, does not envy either Mayweather or Pacquiao in the $300m mega-fight
The shrinks call it closure. The Hitman sees a door wide open to life after fighting, after battling to the peak of the hardest game, after grappling with the depths of depression.
A life dedicated to guiding the stable of young prospects at his gym in Hyde around the pitfalls into which he stumbled, then on to world titles of their own.

RELATED ARTICLESPrevious1Next
Floyd Mayweather 'is a control freak'... the Manny Pacquiao...  
Floyd Mayweather on UFC star Conor McGregor: I can't take...  
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: The ultimate tale of the...  
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao contract still not... Share this articleShare182 sharesHe is bustling over that threshold.
Happy at last to leave Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao to occupy the stage which they turned into his scaffold.
Excited to be one among the many heading to that glittering Strip in the Nevada desert which was twice flooded by 30,000 of his roisterous English followers.
They say what happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas but there is nothing to prevent Hatton going back to retrieve that part of his soul which he left behind.
Mayweather and Pacquiao knocked him out, in their differing ways. America's Money man with the accumulation of his ring genius, the Filipino PacMan by the application of his nuclear hitting power.
He will watch them dispute boxing's mythical pound-for-pound throne - and bank their very real hundreds of millions - without envy.

Sportsmail's Jeff Powell speaks with Hatton ahead of the mega-fight in Las Vegas which is now nine days away
The Hitman sees a door wide open to life after fighting and is commentating for the mega-fight on Sky Sports
The 36-year-old insists he has no regrets as he prepares to watch Pacquiao and Mayweather fight for millions

'No regrets,' says Hatton. 'Even though I was stopped from doing better in one fight and should have done better in the other.
'The referee broke up my rhythm every time I got close in on Floyd. But then I got mad and lost the plot – my fault – so left myself open.
'I should have been better prepared for Manny. Dreadful training camp. Then I got caught with massive shots I didn't see coming.
'I'm not saying I would have beaten them. These are two best boxers in the world. But I should have made it harder for them.'
Acceptance opens the pathway to deliverance. Before he could take the enlightened step towards becoming a promoter and above all a trainer, Hatton plunged into darkness.
For a fighting man who believes himself invincible, sudden defeat brings self-torment.
When it happens a second time, again in full view of fanatical worshippers who acclaimed him as indestructible, the humiliation is public and the psychological consequences devastating.

Hatton plunged into darkness before being able to step towards becoming a promoter and above all a trainer
Hatton has opened up to Sportsmail about his previous struggles and how he felt he was in a dark place
JEFF POWELL'S GREATEST FIGHTSGEORGE FOREMAN V MUHAMMAD ALI
October 30, 1974, Kinshasa, Zaire
JOE FRAZIER v MUHAMMAD ALI
March 8, 1971, Madison Square Garden, New York
JACK JOHNSON v JAMES JEFFRIES
July 4, 1910, Reno, Nevada
JOE LOUIS v MAX SCHMELING
June 22, 1938, Yankee Stadium, New York
.When it is accompanied by discovery of what he perceives to this day as betrayal by his parents, from whom he insists he will forever be estranged, it leads to that shocking night spent sitting at his kitchen table on the verge of slitting open his wrists.
'I wanted to commit suicide,' he says. 'I didn't have the courage to do it. So I decided to drink myself to death.'
The booze and drugs fuelled scandals which ensued have been well documented in lurid headlines. The explanation is more poignant: 'When you're stumbling about in that fog you don't even know what you're getting into.'
That protracted attempt at killing himself ended with his partner Jennifer delivering unto him their first child, Millie. 'They saved me,' he says. 'In the nick of time.'
The rescuing of Ricky – by his new family and his son from his earlier marriage – took a while. It was validated this Christmas as he went out into the cold, wet dead of night to feed the homeless alcoholics in the Manchester gutters into which he came so close to descending himself.
'I had hit rock bottom myself,' he says. 'I saw people who hadn't been able to climb back. I connected with them and now I go back to see them pretty regularly and try to help.'
This is part of his own recovery and even the acceptance of a ringside seat at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 2 – a night when even Hollywood royalty are being refused complimentary tickets – is proof of his compliance with the process.
Explosive Nigel Benn sends Ricky Hatton's glove flying in pad...
Hatton acknowledges his attempt at taking his own life ended with his family helping, including partner Jennifer

Hatton will occupy one of those desperately sought-after places - $10,000 face value, currently $200,000 on the black market – as a commentator for Sky Sports.
That is the network which ended its contract with Hitman the Promoter – callously by text message – after he suffered his third and final defeat in his unwise, one-fight comeback.
'I was hurt again,' he says. 'I was angry. Couldn't believe they would do that after everything I'd done to build their boxing coverage. But I've put it behind me now.
'After all I've been through to make life good again, why give myself the angst of holding a grudge?'
Besides, he is as eager as everyone for a close-up view of the richest fight of all time – and more qualified than virtually anyone to pass judgement on the Money Man and the PacMan.
He vividly recalls his deathly duels with the greatest boxers of their generation.
'My problem was always my weight ballooning up and down,' he says. 'That was my Achilles heel. So I was fighting the greatest with the equivalent of one hand tied behind my back.
'I felt good going in against Floyd. Especially after those scenes at the weigh-in where I was first on the scales and shouted, "Let's be having him", and I saw him looking at all my thousands of fans roaring and ranting.

Mayweather lands a punch on Hatton during the WBC Welterweight title fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas
Mayweather moves away after knocking down Hatton in the 10th round for a technical knockout in Las Vegas
Hatton tries to get to his feet after being knocked down by Mayweather in the 10th round at the MGM Grand
Mayweather, pictured after beating Hatton in December 2007, is preparing to touch gloves with Pacquiao

'I did okay in the early rounds. I was in the fight and he knew it. He's very accurate with his shots. But I was giving him trouble inside until Joe Cortez (the referee) started breaking up my rhythm.
'Vegas is Floyd's home town. Joe was calling break as I was still shaping to throw my punches. Then he took a point off me for nothing. I always liked to flow through the fight but as soon as Floyd landed a good shot Joe called stop.
'Stop, stop, stop. It was tiring for me. I lost my head. Fatal. It's not the power with Floyd but when he picked me off in the 10th I was fatigued. I felt exhausted.'
Hatton went down, the concussive effect exaggerated by hitting his head against a corner post as he fell. He regained his feet but Cortez intervened as Mayweather resumed the assault. Although Hatton says: 'I did know where I was. And as it was stopped I was thinking I'd love to fight him again, in Manchester. With a Mancunian referee.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-3051059/Manny-Pacquiao-jumps-throat-Floyd-Mayweather-brains-ll-win-just-says-Ricky-Hatton.html#ixzz3YJ3JNp4D
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 25 Apr 2015, 10:57 am

I thought the point off infraction was a joke...........But I thought he was lucky he didn't get more points off for persistent holding.......The plan was to do his thing and then spoil before Floyd had write of reply....

He was outclassed.........But I'm a big fan too..........Much underrated fighter who only lost to to the two best fighters in Boxing......

Bollox to the meaningless loss to the stiff...............After time out.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 25 Apr 2015, 11:00 am

I like Hatton, Very good fighter.

I have seen his fight with Floyd on a few occasions. Even when fighting inside, he was getting out hustled. He underestimated how tough Floyd is.

To be fair to Hatton, he always gave at a great go. He took the fight to both Floyd and Manny and never tried to just survive. I do have a lot of respect for him as a fighter.

He had a lot of heart.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 25 Apr 2015, 11:06 am

Wanted to test himself against the best...........Kosta, Floyd and Manny.........

Should have no regrets......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 25 Apr 2015, 11:09 am

Over rated for me, he gets a lot of credit for having high reward fights but he had nothing to lose in any of them but the fights in which had something to lose he didn't take on like Witter or Cotto. He's a good champion who caught a great champion at a good time but his fights bored the hell out of me.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 25 Apr 2015, 11:09 am

I agree, think he is a bit hard on himself with the losses. Beating Tsyu was a fantasic result. Even though he struggled at welter, he still picked up a strap there.

He does acknowledge that Manny and Floyd would of won regardless of his excuses. If that is the case I would really like him to stop bringing them up. He really hadn't a prayer aginst these 2 guys.

It obviously still really hurts him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 25 Apr 2015, 11:14 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Over rated for me, he gets a lot of credit for having high reward fights but he had nothing to lose in any of them but the fights in which had something to lose he didn't take on like Witter or Cotto. He's a good champion who caught a great champion at a good time but his fights bored the hell out of me.

Thing we'd all like to have seen witter and most of us would have given a witter a great chance...

However Witter reminded me of Graham...........A shocking underachiever who would probably have found a way to lose..

Cotto was a beast at 140 and I'd have picked him..............Really though my jerk off fight would have been Gatti-Hatton that was a greater loss..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 25 Apr 2015, 11:15 am

Would of picked Hatton to beat Gatti.

Possibly out work Witter to a decision but to take a bit of a beating.

Cotto was too good in my opinion. Think he would of stopped Hatton in the middle of the fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 25 Apr 2015, 11:20 am

Have you ever seen Gatti v Joey Gamache...........Adam ??

Two round fight worth watching.........

I'd have sided with Ricky but 55/45...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 25 Apr 2015, 11:25 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Have you ever seen Gatti v Joey Gamache...........Adam ??

No never seen it Truss will check it out.

Gatti was exciting that's for sure. Floyd was masterful the night he destroyed Gatti.

Was hard to watch one of my favourite ever fighters getting picked apart like that.

Floyd really was great that night. Genuis.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 25 Apr 2015, 12:17 pm

Ricky was outclassed by Mayweather, I think he underestimated how strong Mayweather was inside, but Cortez was bloody awful.

Whitter would have been OK early in the fight, but as soon as Hatton started catching him, Whitter would have gone into his shell, one thing Ricky never lacked was guts.

Hatton admitted in an interview, that he'd beaten fighters who were better boxer's than him, Whitter would have been the same, probably a better boxer, but not a better fighter.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 25 Apr 2015, 6:02 pm

Gamache was horribly outweighed, can't give Gatti much credit for that win. Almost on Garcia/Salka level.

Killer KO though.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 25 Apr 2015, 8:29 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:

Gamache was horribly outweighed, can't give Gatti much credit for that win. Almost on Garcia/Salka level.

Killer KO though.

You can still move your head when you're outweighed..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 26 Apr 2015, 1:25 am

Genius

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 26 Apr 2015, 9:27 am

catchweight wrote:Genius

Why do you come on here ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 26 Apr 2015, 1:24 pm

You can still move your head when you're outweighed..

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 26 Apr 2015, 1:29 pm

laughing

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 26 Apr 2015, 4:16 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:laughing

laughing laughing Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Wed 29 Apr 2015, 5:43 am

I had a similar view that Hatton over stated the effect that Cortez had on the fight and i have to admit i stand corrected after watching the fight again. Cortez was an absolute disgrace in that fight and was never more than a yard from the action waiting to step in, even when there was no holding he was breaking it up.

i personally beleieve now after watching that fioght again Cortez had taken a backhander or at the very least was under instruction not to let Hatton work. Not saying Mayweather wouldn't have won but agree with Hatton that he wasn't given the chance to have a good go at it.

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 29 Apr 2015, 9:19 am

Saying he got a backhander is a cheap shot...........and as for breaking up fighters early Richard Steele was the same kind of referee.........

I'm glad Cortez split them up early...........Or Hatton would have spoiled all night...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 29 Apr 2015, 9:21 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Saying he got a backhander is a cheap shot...........and as for breaking up fighters early Richard Steele was the same kind of referee.........

I'm glad Cortez split them up early...........Or Hatton would have spoiled all night...

Pity Bayless didn't approach the Maidana fight like that.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 29 Apr 2015, 9:28 am

See your resentment is flowing out.........Like Haz you see your precious old timers slipping down a p4p list and you don't like it...

That's your problem..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 29 Apr 2015, 10:19 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:See your resentment is flowing out.........Like Haz you see your precious old timers slipping down a p4p list and you don't like it...

That's your problem..

Whose slipping ? Mayweather won't break most historians top 10 ! You don't figure as a top 10 ATG fighting Ortiz,Maidana x2 , Guerrero over half a decade.

Interesting to see if Manny wins whether we see you beating his drum as a top 5 ATG, considering he already has better win resume.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 29 Apr 2015, 10:27 am

Rodney wrote:Interesting to see if Manny wins whether we see you beating his drum as a top 5 ATG, considering he already has better win resume.
Significantly though lot of his best wins are either people Floyd had already beaten, or people that also beat him.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 29 Apr 2015, 10:28 am

Thou shall not rate a modern boxer, then again I don't think the greatest of all timr should be losing to Carmen Basilio or Gene Fullmer but he did.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 29 Apr 2015, 10:31 am

Rodney wrote:You don't figure as a top 10 ATG fighting Ortiz,Maidana x2 , Guerrero over half a decade.
Ali's 65-70 wasn't exactly chock full of superstars.

You can discredit any resume if you try hard enough.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 29 Apr 2015, 10:41 am

Scottrf wrote:
Rodney wrote:You don't figure as a top 10 ATG fighting Ortiz,Maidana x2 , Guerrero over half a decade.
Ali's 65-70 wasn't exactly chock full of superstars.

You can discredit any resume if you try hard enough.

Ali's resume runs a lot deeper than Floyds, I only discredit it for those who rank him so highly he hasn't done enough in my opinion. As for the idiot talking about Fullmer and Basillo losses I think its comment knowledge that Robinson would've fought Pacquiao about 10 times in the amount of time its took Floyd to take the fight.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 29 Apr 2015, 10:46 am

Then you get the childish replies that ignore how Robinson didn't fight , you should refrain from personal insults and try to form an unbiased coherent argument. I myself don't rate Basilio or Fullmer, the former was purely a face first brawler whom a great middleweight should beat with ease let alone the greatest of them all.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 29 Apr 2015, 10:56 am

Rodney wrote:Ali's resume runs a lot deeper than Floyds, I only discredit it for those who rank him so highly he hasn't done enough in my opinion. As for the idiot talking about Fullmer and Basillo losses I think its comment knowledge that Robinson would've fought Pacquiao about 10 times in the amount of time its took Floyd to take the fight.
I don't agree his resume is deeper, I would say his best wins were more significant. But that wasn't the point you were making.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 29 Apr 2015, 10:57 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Then you get the childish replies that ignore  how Robinson didn't fight , you should refrain from personal insults and try to form an unbiased coherent argument. I myself don't rate Basilio or Fullmer, the former was purely a face first brawler whom a great middleweight should beat with ease let alone the greatest of them all.

Apologies for the insult I should know better, but like mentioned earlier I have no interest in your opinions and that last sentence reminds me why.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:00 am

Scottrf wrote:
Rodney wrote:Interesting to see if Manny wins whether we see you beating his drum as a top 5 ATG, considering he already has better win resume.
Significantly though lot of his best wins are either people Floyd had already beaten, or people that also beat him.

MAB, Morales and JMM??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:01 am

Algieri would have fought him ten times too...

Roddy you're full of it..

You'd think JMM had never fought Manny..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:02 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

MAB, Morales and JMM??

No point you joining in.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:04 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

MAB, Morales and JMM??
Morales and JMM have both beaten him, yes. Marquez arguably getting the better of their contests overall.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:05 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

MAB, Morales and JMM??

Your simpleton brain still struggling to understand how an internet forum works??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:06 am

Scottrf wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

MAB, Morales and JMM??
Morales and JMM have both beaten him, yes. Marquez arguably getting the better of their contests overall.

Didn't read your post fully, sorry, only the 'Floyd beat them' bit.

The rest, however, does just suggest a blinkered Floyd-centric basis of analysis though which would always jump someone like Floyd ahead of most past 'greats'.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:09 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

MAB, Morales and JMM??

Your simpleton brain still struggling to understand how an internet forum works??

The posters arguing are above your paygrade.......Your input is irrelevant..

Billy Conn a top 20 heavy....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:10 am

That sounds impressive Toppy but what does it actually mean?

Don't worry Rodney the feeling is mutual and it sums up your perception of boxing when an opinion that doesn't hold Basilio or Fullmer in the highest esteem is dismissed. The great Sugar Ray Robinson fought and lost to them both so therefore they themselves must be great, that's the general gist isn't it ignoring that neither were in fact great at all.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:28 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Saying he got a backhander is a cheap shot...........and as for breaking up fighters early Richard Steele was the same kind of referee.........

I don't recall Cortez referring other fights in a similar manner so my my reasoning for him refereeing that fight in that way was he either told to do it or paid to do it

watching the fight again and two things stand out, one is obviously Cortez continual interference which was unwarranted a lot of times, he was literally right beside the two fighters the whole way through, as soon as they got close he was shouting break, not even establishing that there was any holding going on, mayweather was also ducking to below waist level a lot of times which is also illegal and cortez let go

Without doubt the result would have been the same, but Hattons rough house tactics are as much as part of boxing as mayweathers skills and he should have been allowed to rough/spoil whatever you want to call it

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:33 am

irishbrads wrote:

I don't recall Cortez referring other fights in a similar manner so my my reasoning for him refereeing that fight in that way was he either told to do it or paid to do it

watching the fight again and two things stand out, one is obviously Cortez continual interference which was unwarranted a lot of times, he was literally right beside the two fighters the whole way through, as soon as they got close he was shouting break, not even establishing that there was any holding going on, mayweather was also ducking to below waist level a lot of times which is also illegal and cortez let go

Without doubt the result would have been the same, but Hattons rough house tactics are as much as part of boxing as mayweathers skills and he should have been allowed to rough/spoil whatever you want to call it

Hatton's been more than vocal about how good Floyd was on the inside, wouldn't have made one iota of difference to the result of the fight. Absolute nada.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:41 am

Rough house tactics aren't a legal part of Boxing and by the letter of the law Cortez did nothing wrong, inside fighting isn't grabbing and holding.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:42 am

Coxy001 wrote:
irishbrads wrote:

Hatton's been more than vocal about how good Floyd was on the inside, wouldn't have made one iota of difference to the result of the fight. Absolute nada.

think i made it clear that the result would have been the same, thats not what my point is, my point is Cortez refereeing was a disgrace

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:43 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:That sounds impressive Toppy but what does it actually mean?

Not sure what you mean/are referring to??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:44 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Rough house tactics aren't a legal part of Boxing and by the letter of the law Cortez did nothing wrong, inside fighting isn't grabbing and holding.

you think he did nothing wrong, i think he did, its all just opinions.

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:46 am

I agree, he was too quick to break when they had hands free. Just a nuisance.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:49 am

irishbrads wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Rough house tactics aren't a legal part of Boxing and by the letter of the law Cortez did nothing wrong, inside fighting isn't grabbing and holding.

I was disputing rough housing being a legal part of Boxing, personally felt Hatton got away with too much previously in his career so the refereeing display was to be expected. In an ideal world such tactics would be clamped down on more.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:59 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
irishbrads wrote:

I was disputing rough housing being a legal part of Boxing, personally felt Hatton got away with too much previously in his career so the refereeing display was to be expected. In an ideal world such tactics would be clamped down on more.

rough housing in my mind is working up close, punching arms, shoulders literally anywhere thats legal, as Marciano used to do, boxing isn't all the sweet science, its still fighting, its very difficult to rough an opponent up if you're constantly pulled apart

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 29 Apr 2015, 12:01 pm

I thought Cortez's refereeing performance was on the poor side. The point deduction was harsh and while excessive holding or inside exchanges which consist of nowt but mauling should be avoided, you've got to at least give them a chance to punch their way out. Too often he was jumping in before anyone had even had a chance to let a couple of shots go and before either man had really tied the other up. Just getting involved for the sake of it way too regularly and prematurely. I can't believe that anyone could say with a straight face that Cortez was right to get involved as many times as he did there.

The Floyd fanatics can take that as a swipe against their man if they like, but it's not. In terms of shipping the loss, the fact that Mayweather was so much better than him did for Hatton, not Cortez. Mayweather beats him all ends up under any circumstances and with any referee. But that doesn't automatically mean that Cortez's performance shouldn't still be criticised.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next