The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Italy take Wales Scalp this year...

+20
slane
Cyril
Scratch
gatlandgun
majesticimperialman
doctor_grey
Duty281
WELL-PAST-IT
glamorganalun
fa0019
Scrumpy
The Saint
beshocked
jimmyinthewell68
ScarletSpiderman
munkian
flyhalffactory
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
maestegmafia
No9
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wales v Italy

Will Italy take Wales Scalp this year... Vote_lcap64%Will Italy take Wales Scalp this year... Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 37 ]
Will Italy take Wales Scalp this year... Vote_lcap33%Will Italy take Wales Scalp this year... Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 19 ]
Will Italy take Wales Scalp this year... Vote_lcap3%Will Italy take Wales Scalp this year... Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 58

Will Italy take Wales Scalp this year... Empty Will Italy take Wales Scalp this year...

Post by No9 Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:53 am

I know that some may think I was trying to WUM with my Will Italy take England's Scalp this year ( https://www.606v2.com/t51419-will-italy-take-england-s-scalp-this-year ) I wasn't, and so to be fair, here's another poll...

Italy manage to have at least one good game in them every 6 Nations. They have beaten all bar one of the 6 Nations sides now, and have beaten Wales twice and drawn once in the MS.

So with Wales eyeing up a record 3rd consecutive 6 Nations Championship and secretly hoping for a Grand Slam, does anyone believe that this year Wales could be Italy's champagne moment. Do you think Italy could derail the 3rd Championship dream for Wales.

Personally, I don't think they will... but in the spirit of fairness, I throw this out there for discussion.

No9

Back to top Go down

Will Italy take Wales Scalp this year... Empty Re: Will Italy take Wales Scalp this year...

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:15 pm

I voted for Italy.

Wales are slow starters Italy could well win this.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Will Italy take Wales Scalp this year... Empty Re: Will Italy take Wales Scalp this year...

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:25 pm

Wales have the nearest thing to a settled side in the 6 nations. Only JD2 will be missing from their first choice (possibly warburton, but both replaced by guys with plenty of recent caps)
Theres no excuse for starting slow, these guys have played together a lot and know the gameplan.

Italy offer nothing more than endeavour.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:12 pm

Wales have more or less a settled and experience squad with few injury worries JD2 and Gethin the only shoe-ins who wont be playing. Home advantage and a huge crowd.

Can't see anything but a 20 plus points margin victory
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:51 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Wales have the nearest thing to a settled side in the 6 nations. Only JD2 will be missing from their first choice (possibly warburton, but both replaced by guys with plenty of recent caps)
Theres no excuse for starting slow, these guys have played together a lot and know the gameplan.

Italy offer nothing more than endeavour.

Just to clarify I'd say we are missing Warbs, Jenkins, Ian Evans and JD2 from our starting side

But yes, we shouldn't start slow but generally do
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:22 pm

I don't expect us to lose. Yes we are perceived as slow starters, but we couldn't have asked for a better start than this. I expect us to come out with a big start on Saturday and I think we will be pretty comfortable in the end (10-15 points).

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:32 pm

Rev, go and top up that pint, looks like your glass is "half empty"...

Italy are capable of beating anyone in the competition, and I think they will be targeting Wales, as an away win for them against the current champions will be a very big deal.

But I cant see it happening... Todays squad is a far more professional group now, and they wont let themselves be beaten...  

Just remember the Doc in tears after the French game last year. It showed the passion they have.... Italy just cant win this game.  Yikes

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:37 pm

I think we will be in a real tight contest for a good 60-70 mins, and then we will pip them to the post in the last ten to fifteen mins. winning by two scores. And no doubt the pundits will either be having kittens (Buttler, Jiffy) or struggling not to wet themselves laughing (Moore, Guscott, Inverdale) right up until that decisive score, making it far more tense to watch for any welsh fan (well unless they are at the game), and far more entertaining for any neutral.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:47 pm

we notoriously slow starters but we really should fancy this . agree with a tight cagey kicking start but with roof shut then after a few jamie look for contact runs and a few priestland pressure errors it will be full on non stop try fest . well hopefully

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:06 pm

Wales should win at a canter. If it was in Italy though.....

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:21 pm

beshocked wrote:Wales should win at a canter. If it was in Italy though.....

If it was in Italy, it would only be a two-try 20 point win.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:25 pm

This is the worst time for Wales to play Italy imo.

On paper Wales should win well, yet they do start slower than Warren Gatland trying to work out a Sudoku puzzle in his head

Last edited by Scrumpy on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:26 pm

Why?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:28 pm

Now it appears Dan Lydiate may not be playing? Jeez, why pick him in the first place, he isn't exactly pulling up sheep hides in Paris either.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25932713

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:32 pm

To be fair, you can never really tell when a sprog will decide to emerge.

And rumours of his poor form in France seem grossly exaggerated
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:33 pm

The Saint wrote:Now it appears Dan Lydiate may not be playing? Jeez, why pick him in the first place, he isn't exactly pulling up sheep hides in Paris either.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25932713

He'll be back if there's no complications. The only problem with this decision for me, is Warburton is going to have to start if he doesn't come back. That's a real problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:33 pm

As many have said on here before, there are more important things than rugby, and your kid being born must be one of them. Take the time off, in the normal world you get two weeks leave for becoming a dad, so he should be given the same time. Even if he were on form I would say that mind.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:35 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:As many have said on here before, there are more important things than rugby, and your kid being born must be one of them.  Take the time off, in the normal world you get two weeks leave for becoming a dad, so he should be given the same time.  Even if he were on form I would say that mind.

I agree, lifes too short to miss things like this, its only Italy after all.  Wink 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:14 pm

munkian wrote:To be fair, you can never really tell when a sprog will decide to emerge.

And rumours of his poor form in France seem grossly exaggerated

Must have been Irish journalists again... Whistle 

As has been stated, why not just give him a week or two off, as I'm lead to believe he hasn't been around for training with the team? I don't doubt his playing ability but it's a ludicrous idea and it could backfire. If he does miss out Warbs will go to 6, and I assume Ball will be promoted to bench?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:17 pm

He missed training this weekend, could well be back Thursday/Friday
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:21 pm

Nothing tells me that Italy can beat Wales.

They are away from home... They last played and lost to a weak Argentina team and just got one over Fiji who are a shadow of their 2007 vintage... and they got smashed by Australia.

They may be within 10 in the first half but Wales will canter away by 60.

Even with Priestland in the side I can't see it. In fact these are the games he will shine.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:34 pm

Wales will win all 3 home games they won these 3 games away last season, the two away games will be tough but winable.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:37 pm

My assistant at work is going to be wearing sack cloth and ashes and eating a lot of crow if Italy do win, he has Wales by 20 plus.

Well like so many of the Welsh team he was born and raised in England and therefore views the land of his fathers with rose tinted glasses. He openly admits he would not want to live there.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Not very likely.

Wales should be comfortable in this game with a sizeable margin of victory to kick things off.

Italy's only hope is...if Wales get a player sent off early on?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Duty281 wrote:

There isn't a Ref brave enough to do that in the MS with Saint Gatland present.  Very Happy 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:47 pm

Seriously, you aren't even trying any more....
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Duty281 wrote:Not very likely.

Wales should be comfortable in this game with a sizeable margin of victory to kick things off.

Alain Rolland is not reffing this one though. censored Whistle 

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:58 pm

beshocked wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Not very likely.

Alain Rolland is not reffing this one though. censored Whistle 

not to worry, being referreed by an Irishman this time (John Lacey), unlike the RWC SF vs France with Monsieur Rolland.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:00 pm

Rolland is reffing the Wales-France game this year.

Honestly, I'm not joking!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:04 pm

Duty281 wrote:Rolland is reffing the Wales-France game this year.

I know I am just relieved that England haven't got him again. Rolland is the ref I dislike the most - he always likes to make the rugby match centre around him.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:16 pm

That is the most mind blowingly stupid decision ever....

I knew this to be the case.

I know the IRB govern the officials but who actually decides who referees which game... Because, history just states this is a barmy decision. Even if Rollaind trys to be impartial, this is his swansong, and his ego wont allow him to go out without controversy. I can see a RED getting issued here...

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:19 pm

I know who I will be putting my money on come that match!!! Allez les blues

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:27 pm

No9 wrote:

That is the most mind blowingly stupid decision ever....

I knew this to be the case.

I know the IRB govern the officials but who actually decides who referees which game... Because, history just states this is a barmy decision. Even if Rollaind trys to be impartial, this is his swansong, and his ego wont allow him to go out without controversy. I can see a RED getting issued here...
You're really convinced Rolland will be out to screw Wales? A little over the top, no?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:47 pm

It is possible Italy could win this game. But i don't think it will happen. Wales should win fairly easy. Note the word Should.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by gatlandgun Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:50 pm

HERSH nottins cyril majesticimperialman tigercockbulge gloriouslempire etc etc..

Have very little to say now that Wales are champions 2, maybe 3 years running.

Wales will put 30 on Italy. The same Italy that embarrassed Ireland and France. The same italy England scraped past.

gatlandgun

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:55 pm

gatlandgun wrote:HERSH nottins cyril majesticimperialman tigercockbulge gloriouslempire etc etc..

Wales will put 30 on Italy. The same Italy that embarrassed Ireland and France. The same italy England scraped past.

Lets not under estimate Italy here. Like i said Wales should win this game, but give Italy a sniff and they will take it.

And like they say don't count your chickens before they hatch. ok. thumbsup 

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by gatlandgun Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:57 pm

I'm THAT confident.

gatlandgun

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Much more likelihood of Italy taking France, England or Ireland's scalp after last years showing than the reigning two season Champions.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:07 pm

gatlandgun wrote:HERSH nottins cyril majesticimperialman tigercockbulge gloriouslempire etc etc..

I think this account is peaking early and won't last the full tournament Very Happy 

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:30 pm

To hell with it, I'm going with Italy for the win here.

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:31 pm

slane wrote:To hell with it, I'm going with Italy for the win here.  

Why, cos you ordered pizza for dinner? picard 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:52 pm

i see what you mean scratch. i voted for Wales though  thumbsup 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:22 pm

Scratch wrote:
slane wrote:To hell with it, I'm going with Italy for the win here.  

Why, cos you ordered pizza for dinner? picard 

Aye.

And if Italy do win...

Will Italy take Wales Scalp this year... Article-2049657-0E61DDED00000578-110_468x286  censored

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:59 pm

oh dear, you should have told the other half of your personality you wanted italy to win  picard 

slain? yes you have been

Re: Six Nations Competition - Week 1

Post by slane Yesterday at 9:54 am
Good idea!

Saturday 1st February 2014

Wales 32-16 Italy
France 17-27 England

Sunday 2nd February 2014

Ireland 33-17 Scotland

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Laugh 

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:16 pm

Italy's side was well summed up in Scrum V. They just aren't playing well atm.

I'm predicting and Irish Grand Slam though. The provinces are playing superbly and that should carry into the squad.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:26 pm

Scratch wrote:oh dear, you should have told the other half of your personality you wanted italy to win  picard 

slain? yes you have been

Re: Six Nations Competition - Week 1

Post by slane Yesterday at 9:54 am
Good idea!

Saturday 1st February 2014

Wales 32-16 Italy
France 17-27 England

Sunday 2nd February 2014

Ireland 33-17 Scotland

Well you can't be wrong if you vote both ways

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:48 pm

Nematode wrote:Italy's side was well summed up in Scrum V. They just aren't playing well atm.

I'm predicting and Irish Grand Slam though. The provinces are playing superbly and that should carry into the squad.

They generally do well though. I do think England will be closest to the slam, but don't think anybody will get one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:39 am

Nematode wrote:Italy's side was well summed up in Scrum V. They just aren't playing well atm.

chin 

That certainly hasn't been said a thousand times before Run 

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:59 am

I can say, without a doubt, that Irish Provincial form ALWAYS carries over to the 6 Nations squad. ALWAYS.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next