The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hissy Fits Tantrums And Miss-Trust Of The Umpire

+14
Cav
YvonneT
Johnyjeep
MMT1
Turron
R!skysports
laverfan
LuvSports!
invisiblecoolers
Jeremy_Kyle
HM Murdock
summerblues
JuliusHMarx
hawkeye
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Hissy Fits Tantrums And Miss-Trust Of The Umpire - Page 3 Empty Hissy Fits Tantrums And Miss-Trust Of The Umpire

Post by hawkeye Sat 01 Feb 2014, 10:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Umpires are meant to be there to ensure matches are played fairly and all players adhere to the rules. Just as the players are trained to compete umpires are trained to understand the rules of the game and how to apply them. Sometimes an umpires job is straightforward and sometimes their job can be a little more tricky especially were an element of judgement is called for. But the reason why umpires are considered necessary is because they are meant to be impartial and have sufficient authority and wisdom to be relied on to make such judgements in a fair and consistent manner.

However in pro tennis there is often much at stake and players with their powerful celebrity status are often reluctant to accept judgement calls from umpires or even the more straightforward application of the rules. From McEnroe's screams of "You cannot be serious" when an umpire judged a ball to be out to Wawrinka's hissy fit about an opponents legitimate MTO they are all attempts to undermine and influence umpires. Some players now even attempt to tell an umpire how they should be doing their job. For example telling an umpire before a match starts that they want them to pay particular attention to the amount of time their opponent takes between points and that they "want the rules to be enforced"

Are umpires dealing with players trying to influence the out come of matches effectively? Have umpires become less trusted? Has the balance of power shifted to far in the players favour making it difficult for umpires to do their job? How should umpires deal with a player who questions their authority? Are umpires swayed by players that shout the loudest to treat them more favourably?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Hissy Fits Tantrums And Miss-Trust Of The Umpire - Page 3 Empty Re: Hissy Fits Tantrums And Miss-Trust Of The Umpire

Post by YvonneT Tue 04 Feb 2014, 10:44 pm

Ramos seemed to handle it fine to me. Wawrinka was allowed to ask, but was wrong that it was his right to be told (though I agree that a broad general explanation could be provided of why Nadal had left the court without disclosing anything confidential or tactically advantageous to Wawrinka).

I still don't see that he had a "hissy fit" though. On a hissy fit scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is McEnroe's worst outbursts, I'm struggling to award Stan even a 0.5 for his efforts.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Hissy Fits Tantrums And Miss-Trust Of The Umpire - Page 3 Empty Re: Hissy Fits Tantrums And Miss-Trust Of The Umpire

Post by YvonneT Tue 04 Feb 2014, 10:54 pm

Interestingly this is an exchange that Rafa's PR chappie, Benito had with a Rafa fan on twitter:

B1PR ‏@b1pr  Jan 26
I always believed in fair crowds and always thought this was the case in Melbourne. To doubt of @RafaelNadal sportsmanship is simply wrong!!
Mags ‏@RAFAddicted  Jan 27
@b1pr the crowd was mislead by Wawrinka's crazy behavior during MTO,when he insists to know what injury Rafa has & what treatment receives
B1PR ‏@b1pr  Jan 27
@RAFAddicted we disagree with this. Wawrinka is a good friend and he did nothing wrong. He was in his right to ask.

If only players could say what they really feel and not have to keep up this pretence to be friends - sigh!

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 04 Feb 2014, 11:00 pm

Stan was in the wrong. He did not or failed to acknowledge the rules. But agreed, not a big deal.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by MMT1 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 1:18 am

YvonneT wrote:Further to LF's post, I looked at the ATP rule book and there is nothing in the rules that requires that the umpire give the other player any information about the treatment. The only thing I can find in the rule book about communication of a MTO is the following:

I applaud your research on the rules, and while there isn't very much difference between them, I just have to point out that the ITF rules apply here, not ATP rules. I only do this because there are differences between ITF rules and ATP and/or WTA rules that are often lost on the players (for example Serena Williams and the hindrance rule at the 2011 US Open Final).

That's not the case here, but I just wanted to point out that out for future reference and debates ;-) Here's a link to the ITF rules for 2014:

http://www.itftennis.com/media/107082/107082.pdf

MMT1
MMT1

http://tennis-column.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:20 am

barrystar wrote:
hawkeye wrote:
barrystar wrote:

If a player wants private medical treatment that is his right and he can withdraw from the competition.  

If a player wants the match temporarily suspended so he can receive treatment to the disadvantage or potential disadvantage of his opponent it is legitimate to expect that his opponent is informed in general terms of what it is that is said to justify the indulgence granted to him and the inconvenience to the opponent.  Nothing else would be fair.

A player can have medical treatment from an ATP trainer and they don't have to share the results with the umpire the crowd or their opponent - so in that sense it is private. They can also have the match suspended whilst they receive treatment. No one has to justify any of these things because they are the ATP rules  Very Happy   

You could try having a hissy fit if you don't like the rules but I'm sorry to inform you that it is very unlikely that the ATP will change the rules because of that. Maybe you, Wawrinka and several other 606v2 posters could join together and form a union or protest group and picket the ATP to change the rules if you are really unhappy with them?

If you want to debate with me, address the points I make rather than setting up and attacking different arguments (that would be to adopt the tactics of an internet troll, which of course you are not....).

I did not say that results of treatment should be shared, I said that it is legitimate for the opponent to be told in general terms what it is that is said to justify the MTO - i.e. foot, back, wrist, and perhaps whether a sprain or something like that.  That's not the same thing as imparting detailed results of treatment.

As others have said there is no obligation to inform the waiting player of the circumstances nor is there any obligation to keep the basic reason for the MTO secret.  However, there is an obligation to decide what distinct treatable medical condition the MTO relates to because there are very strict rules as to how many MTO's a player is entitled to which depend upon what the first MTO is for.  Therefore, the chair umpire has a duty to the non-injured party to keep close tabs on the purpose of each MTO so that the injured party is allowed what he is entitled to and no more.  In that way the detailed reasons for the MTO are not private to the player, but they are information which the umpire uses to regulate the match between the players which must be imparted in detail in the event of the umpire having to make a decision about a subsequent MTO.  

In those circumstances it is obvious that courtesy to the other player, general fairness, courtesy to the crowd, managing the match to ensure that MTO's are taken properly, and even fairness to the 'injured' player to avoid him being booed all point in one direction.  Good Judgement by the umpires involves acting within the rules to impart basic information about the reason for any MTO - not a medical diagnosis or a running commentary of the treatment, but basic general information.  At the very least this communicates that the Umpire is keeping tabs with his/her duty.  

Wawrinka has obviously come to expect such good and courteous exercise of an Umpire's judgment and was a bit taken aback when in the biggest match of his life and doing better than he ever has done against Nadal he faces an MTO at a tactically adventitious time and is told in terms 'I am not going to tell you why' and then, 'I don't know why' - how can he know whether the Umpire is doing his duty to keep tabs on the reasons for MTO's?

Rules usually don't prescribe minutely every step to be taken, they set out the basic conduct required and the reasons for them and leave much of their application to Judgment.  In this case it is absolutely clear that the umpire must be able to know the reason for the MTO and should be willing to impart it's basic essence, not least because whether to allow a subsequent MTO may become very important and players want to know that umpires are doing their duty and keeping tabs on their opponent's entitlement.

Are you going to address these points?

barrystar. I think you agree that the MTO was legitimate and it was taken at a legitimate time. Obviously MTO's are not always taken at a time that is suitable for an opponent. Wawrinka may not have been happy with the timing but that is the rules. He may have been suspicious about the reasons but the trainer assessed Nadal and validated that a MTO was required. You have no evidence that the umpire wasn't "keeping tabs" on the situation and that if Nadal had required a future MTO it would have been dealt with according to the rules. You also agree that Wawrinka was wrong to think he had a right to know the reasons for the MTO.

But you think out of "courtesy" to the crowd and "general fairness" because Wawrinka had a hissy fit and demanded to know information (that we both agree Wawrinka had no right to) the umpire should have given him some "basic" information about Nadal's injury? By not giving Wawrinka the information you are saying that the umpire was partially responsible for the crowd booing Nadal?

Is that correct? Just want to be clear before I address these points.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:28 am

YvonneT wrote:Ramos seemed to handle it fine to me. Wawrinka was allowed to ask, but was wrong that it was his right to be told (though I agree that a broad general explanation could be provided of why Nadal had left the court without disclosing anything confidential or tactically advantageous to Wawrinka).

I still don't see that he had a "hissy fit" though. On a hissy fit scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is McEnroe's worst outbursts, I'm struggling to award Stan even a 0.5 for his efforts.

I do agree that Ramos in the circumstances handled the situation well. Ha ha! and I do agree that Wawrinka could ask for information about Nadal's injury if he wanted. But you make it sound like he just said "What's wrong with Rafa?" and "Don't I have a right to be told" He did a little more than that. He acted as if he had suffered a great miss-justice. This is his "hissy fit". It takes a while to get going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4QU6uMFMjA

I also think that Rafa has good PR  Wink

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:11 am

barrystar wrote:
hawkeye wrote:
barrystar wrote:

If a player wants private medical treatment that is his right and he can withdraw from the competition.  

If a player wants the match temporarily suspended so he can receive treatment to the disadvantage or potential disadvantage of his opponent it is legitimate to expect that his opponent is informed in general terms of what it is that is said to justify the indulgence granted to him and the inconvenience to the opponent.  Nothing else would be fair.

A player can have medical treatment from an ATP trainer and they don't have to share the results with the umpire the crowd or their opponent - so in that sense it is private. They can also have the match suspended whilst they receive treatment. No one has to justify any of these things because they are the ATP rules  Very Happy   

You could try having a hissy fit if you don't like the rules but I'm sorry to inform you that it is very unlikely that the ATP will change the rules because of that. Maybe you, Wawrinka and several other 606v2 posters could join together and form a union or protest group and picket the ATP to change the rules if you are really unhappy with them?

If you want to debate with me, address the points I make rather than setting up and attacking different arguments (that would be to adopt the tactics of an internet troll, which of course you are not....).

I did not say that results of treatment should be shared, I said that it is legitimate for the opponent to be told in general terms what it is that is said to justify the MTO - i.e. foot, back, wrist, and perhaps whether a sprain or something like that.  That's not the same thing as imparting detailed results of treatment.

but giving that information potentially gives that player a tactical advantage. All the player really needs to know is that the injury is being assessed and that they will know when/if the MTO starts. There is, in fact, no reason why the umpire would know what the injury was at the time of assessment as neither the player nor trainer needs to tell him. It is entirely in the trainer's discretion whether the assessment takes place off court.

As others have said there is no obligation to inform the waiting player of the circumstances nor is there any obligation to keep the basic reason for the MTO secret.  However, there is an obligation to decide what distinct treatable medical condition the MTO relates to because there are very strict rules as to how many MTO's a player is entitled to which depend upon what the first MTO is for.  Therefore, the chair umpire has a duty to the non-injured party to keep close tabs on the purpose of each MTO so that the injured party is allowed what he is entitled to and no more.  In that way the detailed reasons for the MTO are not private to the player, but they are information which the umpire uses to regulate the match between the players which must be imparted in detail in the event of the umpire having to make a decision about a subsequent MTO.  

the rules are not entirely clear but it seems that the decision whether it is the same injury would be for the trainer. He would then advise both the referee and umpire whether that was the case. It is also for the trainer to decide if the injury is one for which treatment should be given. In any event, as Rafa had not previously taken an MTO such considerations were, at the point of time of the debate with Stan, irrelevant.

In those circumstances it is obvious that courtesy to the other player, general fairness, courtesy to the crowd, managing the match to ensure that MTO's are taken properly, and even fairness to the 'injured' player to avoid him being booed all point in one direction.  Good Judgement by the umpires involves acting within the rules to impart basic information about the reason for any MTO - not a medical diagnosis or a running commentary of the treatment, but basic general information.  At the very least this communicates that the Umpire is keeping tabs with his/her duty.  

This is a significant jump from the previous paragraph. I have never ever heard any umpire explain to the crowd the reason for an assessment or even for an actual MTO. Indeed, I have never actually heard an umpire explain to the other player the reasons - whilst it may be that is done discretely by some umpires, as stated above I see no actual reason why the player needs to know.

Wawrinka has obviously come to expect such good and courteous exercise of an Umpire's judgment and was a bit taken aback when in the biggest match of his life and doing better than he ever has done against Nadal he faces an MTO at a tactically adventitious time and is told in terms 'I am not going to tell you why' and then, 'I don't know why' - how can he know whether the Umpire is doing his duty to keep tabs on the reasons for MTO's?

as stated above it is for the trainer to identify whether there is a treatable injury - during the assessment. Until that has taken place then the umpire has no duty to keep tabs on anything.

Rules usually don't prescribe minutely every step to be taken, they set out the basic conduct required and the reasons for them and leave much of their application to Judgment.  In this case it is absolutely clear that the umpire must be able to know the reason for the MTO and should be willing to impart it's basic essence, not least because whether to allow a subsequent MTO may become very important and players want to know that umpires are doing their duty and keeping tabs on their opponent's entitlement.

to be brutally honest what players want to know isn't overly important. I would definitely want to know what injury an opponent had to decide how best to exploit it. The important factors here are that (i) the umpire has no discretion to prevent an assessment at a change of ends (which this was); (ii) Ramos appears to have been correct both that there was no right for Stan to know and that there was no reason why, at the stage of assessment he would himself know the problem and (iii) decisions about injuries primarily rest with the trainer - the umpire (after assessment) will act on that advice. It seems to me that all Stan could legitimately expect was that after the assessment he was told whether or not the trainer was satisfied it was a genuine treatable injury.

My comments on Barry's post above in italics.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 05 Feb 2014, 9:27 am

Crickey, some Rafa fans are sore losers. Still having a completely unjustified hissy fit over Stan's behaviour, over a week later.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 05 Feb 2014, 9:45 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Crickey, some Rafa fans are sore losers. Still having a completely unjustified hissy fit over Stan's behaviour, over a week later.

Well here is one who isn´t JM I am of the belief that Stan had a right to know why Rafa went of court.
He is in the biggest match of his life... a slam final and your oponent walks off court without explanation.
Sorry I dont give a monkey´s what the rules are I think he has a right to be quietly given the facts.. not for the whole damned world, media, audience and anyone else. The matter should have been settled on court. Instead of which Stan's hissy fit affected his game because he assumed it was gamesmanship on Rafa's part. The umpire was "giving " no advantage to Stan by telling him because it became apparent to everyone watching that match that Rafa  wa s "out of it". I,m sorry a Rafa fan I may be but this whole debate is a joke.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 05 Feb 2014, 9:50 am

At least this gives certain fans a double * as to why Rafa lost - injured and hissy fit lol

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:10 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Crickey, some Rafa fans are sore losers. Still having a completely unjustified hissy fit over Stan's behaviour, over a week later.

Well here is one who isn´t JM I am of the belief that Stan had a right to know why Rafa went of court.
He is in the biggest match of his life... a slam final and your oponent walks off court without explanation.
Sorry I dont give a monkey´s what the rules are I think he has a right to be quietly given the facts.. not for the whole damned world, media, audience and anyone else. The matter should have been settled on court. Instead of which Stan's hissy fit affected his game because he assumed it was gamesmanship on Rafa's part. The umpire was "giving " no advantage to Stan by telling him because it became apparent to everyone watching that match that Rafa  wa s "out of it". I,m sorry a Rafa fan I may be but this whole debate is a joke.

thumbsup I think you, me and Rafa are in agreement over this - has that ever happened before? Smile
Although I don't think it affected Stan's game - he went on to win the 2nd set comfortably, then lost concentration and became unsure of the correct tactics to finish the match against an injured opponent.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:18 am

Born Slippy wrote:
barrystar wrote:
hawkeye wrote:
barrystar wrote:

but giving that information potentially gives that player a tactical advantage. All the player really needs to know is that the injury is being assessed and that they will know when/if the MTO starts. There is, in fact, no reason why the umpire would know what the injury was at the time of assessment as neither the player nor trainer needs to tell him. It is entirely in the trainer's discretion whether the assessment takes place off court.

the rules are not entirely clear but it seems that the decision whether it is the same injury would be for the trainer. He would then advise both the referee and umpire whether that was the case. It is also for the trainer to decide if the injury is one for which treatment should be given. In any event, as Rafa had not previously taken an MTO such considerations were, at the point of time of the debate with Stan, irrelevant.

This is a significant jump from the previous paragraph. I have never ever heard any umpire explain to the crowd the reason for an assessment or even for an actual MTO. Indeed, I have never actually heard an umpire explain to the other player the reasons - whilst it may be that is done discretely by some umpires, as stated above I see no actual reason why the player needs to know.

as stated above it is for the trainer to identify whether there is a treatable injury - during the assessment. Until that has taken place then the umpire has no duty to keep tabs on anything.

to be brutally honest what players want to know isn't overly important. I would definitely want to know what injury an opponent had to decide how best to exploit it. The important factors here are that (i) the umpire has no discretion to prevent an assessment at a change of ends (which this was); (ii) Ramos appears to have been correct both that there was no right for Stan to know and that there was no reason why, at the stage of assessment he would himself know the problem and (iii) decisions about injuries primarily rest with the trainer - the umpire (after assessment) will act on that advice. It seems to me that all Stan could legitimately expect was that after the assessment he was told whether or not the trainer was satisfied it was a genuine treatable injury.

My comments on Barry's post above in italics.

The initial MTO decision is for the physio, but,

A total of two (2) consecutive Medical Time-Outs may be allowed by
the Referee in consultation with the Grand Slam Supervisor or Chair
Umpire for the special circumstance in which the
Physiotherapist/Athletic Trainer determines that the player has
developed at least two (2) distinct acute and treatable medical
conditions

I agree with you about timing - during the assessment the matter is within the trainer's hands. Once the MTO has been called the Umpire will know in general terms why - or he ought to. The final decision on a second MTO is not for the physio/trainer - he assesses the nature of the illness, but the officials, potentially in consultation with the Umpire, assess whether to grant a second MTO. It is clear to me from this rule that the Umpire's role includes keeping abreast with the reasons for any MTO once the assessment is complete. I still maintain that a good Umpire will let the other player know if he wants, but only in general terms, the reason for the first MTO. It's just common sense and courtesy as well as fair to both players. Nobody likes to be told, "we're abiding by the rules but we aren't going to tell you what's happening". I see no reason why the suggestion that such might disadvantage the 'injured' player makes any difference - so what? You may be right about the crowd - that is a fair enough point - but I disagree in relation to the opponent.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:25 am

hawkeye wrote:
barrystar wrote:
hawkeye wrote:
barrystar wrote:

barrystar. I think you agree that the MTO was legitimate and it was taken at a legitimate time. Obviously MTO's are not always taken at a time that is suitable for an opponent. Wawrinka may not have been happy with the timing but that is the rules. He may have been suspicious about the reasons but the trainer assessed Nadal and validated that a MTO was required. You have no evidence that the umpire wasn't "keeping tabs" on the situation and that if Nadal had required a future MTO it would have been dealt with according to the rules. You also agree that Wawrinka was wrong to think he had a right to know the reasons for the MTO.

But you think out of "courtesy" to the crowd and "general fairness" because Wawrinka had a hissy fit and demanded to know information (that we both agree Wawrinka had no right to) the umpire should have given him some "basic" information about Nadal's injury? By not giving Wawrinka the information you are saying that the umpire was partially responsible for the crowd booing Nadal?

Is that correct? Just want to be clear before I address these points.

I never said that the umpire wasn't keeping tabs, I said that Wawrinka would not have had much comfort that he was after the clumsy replies.

I don't think Wawrinka's "hissy fit" has anything to do with it, I think that an Umpire should act on his/her own Judgment and keep any player informed in general terms of the reason for the MTO - the rules neither explicitly require him to do so nor do they prevent him from doing so.

Nadal was booed because he has a well-deserved reputation as a cheat which means that he does not get the benefit of too many doubts so, when he did something which was consistent with his general cheating conduct and reputation he was booed until it became obvious that the MTO was genuine.  The Umpire could have taken the heat out of the Wawrinka situation by sensibly telling him "it's his back" and maybe the crowd would have sensed it was genuine earlier - maybe not - but be in no doubt that Nadal was booed because of who he is and the reputation he has painstakingly built for himself.

Take a leaf out of Born Slippy's book - that is a response to my points, it is a good and thoughtful one. You seem to be hell bent on, well, we know what........
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:32 am

Nadal was booed because he has a well-deserved reputation as a cheat which means that he does not get the benefit of too many doubts so, when he did something which was consistent with his general cheating conduct and reputation he was booed until it became obvious that the MTO was genuine. The Umpire could have taken the heat out of the Wawrinka situation by sensibly telling him "it's his back" and maybe the crowd would have sensed it was genuine earlier - maybe not - but be in no doubt that Nadal was booed because of who he is and the reputation he has painstakingly built for himself.

Now this is another can of worms entirely ... and in my view totally uncalled for ... Im on Stan's side over the hissy fit ... but heh
give some the chance to stick the knife in and give it another twist..

picard

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:44 pm

barrystar wrote:

Nadal was booed because he has a well-deserved reputation as a cheat which means that he does not get the benefit of too many doubts so, when he did something which was consistent with his general cheating conduct and reputation he was booed until it became obvious that the MTO was genuine.  The Umpire could have taken the heat out of the Wawrinka situation by sensibly telling him "it's his back" and maybe the crowd would have sensed it was genuine earlier - maybe not - but be in no doubt that Nadal was booed because of who he is and the reputation he has painstakingly built for himself.

Nadal will not only be remembered for what he has achieved in tennis but the honorable way he goes about his business. His behaviour as a professional athlete is reguarly used as an example of good sportsmanship. Much of the media coverage of the Australian Open final focused on the exemplary way he handled the difficult position of having no chance to win but carrying on for the sake of Wawrinka, the crowd and viewers  Very Happy

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:45 pm

Born Slippy. Excellent response to barrystars comment. You have addressed all the points clearly and articulately. You have my admiration not only because I agree with you but because you have said it so well  clap My only slight criticism is that you should have put your comments in bold so they would stand out more.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Feb 2014, 5:06 pm

Well that was rather lazy of you. Waiting for someone else's response and ride the coat-tails of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Wed 05 Feb 2014, 6:44 pm

hawkeye wrote:
YvonneT wrote:Ramos seemed to handle it fine to me. Wawrinka was allowed to ask, but was wrong that it was his right to be told (though I agree that a broad general explanation could be provided of why Nadal had left the court without disclosing anything confidential or tactically advantageous to Wawrinka).

I do agree that Ramos in the circumstances handled the situation well. Ha ha! and I do agree that Wawrinka could ask for information about Nadal's injury if he wanted. But you make it sound like he just said "What's wrong with Rafa?" and "Don't I have a right to be told" He did a little more than that. He acted as if he had suffered a great miss-justice. This is his "hissy fit". It takes a while to get going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4QU6uMFMjA

I also think that Rafa has good PR  Wink
I've watched your clip thanks - the one I posted yesterday is the same incident just with better sound quality.
It's a clip of a player having a discussion with an umpire and referee in a normal voice, being slightly belligerent (and wrong) about his rights. He's not shouting or going crazy or even holding up play. So as I say, I'd rate it 0.5 on my hissy fit scale of 1 to 10. Where would you put it on that scale, HE?

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 07 Feb 2014, 7:22 am

YvonneT. I'm sorry I missed your You Tube clip with the title "Stanislas Wawrinka FURIOUS & MAD over medical time out" (note the emphatic capital letters are a direct quote of the title and have not been placed there by me). I think it does have better sound quality than the one I linked.

"Hissy fit" is according to the Macmillan dictionary is "an occasion when someone suddenly behaves in a very angry and unreasonable way"

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/thesaurus/british/hissy-fit#hissy-fit_4

On the hissy fit scale I would rate Wawrinka's hissy fit at an 8 or an 8.5. It was sudden, unreasonable (because he took no heed of the umpires repeated reasonable and patient explanations and required the attendance of a superviser to try and placate him). It also hissed an fizzed for a considerable time making him go red in the face with anger. To have got to 9 or 10 on the scale he would have had to lay down on the court and thrashed around with complete loss of control. This top end of the scale is rarely reached by anyone over the age of 3  Smile

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 07 Feb 2014, 8:13 am

8 - 8.5! What rubbish! If that's the case your hissy fit over the whole matter must be an 11  Laugh 

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 07 Feb 2014, 9:14 am

Is this still rumbling on ... how zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Good Lord if that was a hissy fit you should see some people I know.... ITS OVER H.E.
seldom I disagree with you (though I dont always agree) but dont you think its time to move on Erm

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:01 am

In a world where JJ's meltdown at Oz 13 is a 10/10 hissy fit I would probably rate Stan at about a 3.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:45 pm

Christ this got out of hand!
Hawkeye should leave it, but JHM, you really shouldnt taunt her to do it more by calling her hissy. I know you dont mind the baiting, and I know you dont like her, but this is leaving a bad taste in the mouth now...

I think this thread has run its course, since now people are starting simply trying to dig at one another, and theres no mroe to say on what is REALLY a tiny topic. I reckon it should be locked

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:25 pm

I don't think HE minds a bit of taunting - that's half the reason for the articles (or perhaps 3.5 on a scale of 10). If I lock it we'll only have to put up with posts about 'certain subjects we're not allowed to talk about' i.e. we're not allowed to speculate that Stan's outrageous temper tantrum was the cause of the crowd booing Rafa, we're not allowed to criticise Rafa's opponents etc.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:30 pm

Ok but...
"Of course, Rafa's steadfast refusal to ask the umpire to announce what Tomic's MTO was for left the crown uninformed, and led to them booing poor Tomic. Very poor form from Rafa there - contributing to the circumstances that led to his opponent getting booed. Was it an oversight, mischievous or downright weasley of the Spaniard?

Sorry, thought I was hawkeye for a minute. I take it all back.."

Thats the sort of thing a child would do, which is completely unlike you, which tells me its gotten out of hand. Weve already got another HE article anyway, even with this up, weve talked about this to death now anyway, youve gotta move it on.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:36 pm

All meant in jest, to bring a few smiles. We've got to allow people to have a bit of creative fun haven't we? It wasn't long ago that everyone was saying they prefer a bit of spice and banter between posters.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:39 pm

falzy21 wrote: weve talked about this to death now anyway, youve gotta move it on.
OK.

If BA Baracus is so afraid of flying, how did he become part of a crack commando unit? Surely he would have failed basic training?

For that matter, how did he even get to Vietnam?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:45 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
falzy21 wrote: weve talked about this to death now anyway, youve gotta move it on.
OK.

If BA Baracus is so afraid of flying, how did he become part of a crack commando unit? Surely he would have failed basic training?

For that matter, how did he even get to Vietnam?

He took the lesser known Bergkamp Route.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:46 pm

Intelligent banter, something like Socal, and just constantly replying with hissy fits and such, are completely different. On Socals wind ups we get some wit, this is just rubbish now. You might need to work on your jesting a bit

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:52 pm

Wow. Telling JHM that he should aspire to be more like Socal.

Somewhere in the West Midlands a cry of indignation is echoing through the streets...

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 07 Feb 2014, 2:59 pm

To each his own. I don't think socal is that witty - it's all fairly obvious stuff based on a nice line in metaphors. But hey, millions of people like Terry & June and My Family.
S J Perelman is very highly regarded as well, but I much prefer Thurber or Benchley.
If falzy doesn't get my humour, I won't hold it against him Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Feb 2014, 4:30 pm

Well in that case, id put JHM's hissy fit right up to 11

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 07 Feb 2014, 4:35 pm

falzy21 wrote:Well in that case, id put JHM's hissy fit right up to 11

I've just come the therapist as I type this.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Feb 2014, 4:50 pm

Well I wish you the best of luck in that.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 07 Feb 2014, 5:01 pm

If there was a film made of the Nadal MTO/Wawrinka hissy fit episode (cough! probably more art house than blockbuster).

I would play the part of the umpire. Calmly reasoning and stating and re stating the rules despite provocation  angel 

Julius would play Wawrinka. Hissing and fizzing away, self righteous and irrational   furious 

Haddie would play Rafa. Best friends with Wawrinka, the umpire and the crowd  heart 

barrystar would play the audience  tomato 

and falzy21 would direct (with a little help from me  Smile )

king Very Happy

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 07 Feb 2014, 5:27 pm

You'd be good as the umpire HE, given your expertise at avoiding direct questions that you'd rather not answer Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 07 Feb 2014, 9:49 pm

falzy21 wrote:I reckon it should be locked
As an alternative, you could just avoid it if it is not to your liking.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3