The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How are the 6 nations teams going on attack

5 posters

Go down

How are the 6 nations teams going on attack Empty How are the 6 nations teams going on attack

Post by blackcanelion Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:11 am

Going into this years tournament there's been a lot of talk from coaches about the need to score tries. I was impressed by several of the teams in their endeavor to mix it up a bit. How you see the teams going. Here's a bit of a back drop from the post world cup record.

Wales

26 tests
3 tests failed to score 1 try
9 tests scored 1 try
9 tests scored 2 tries
5 tests scored 3 or more tries

Wales, somewhat surprisingly for team with a much vaunted backline have struggled to cross the paint. Multiple tries against the Barbarians and poorly prepared 2nd tier nations makes it look better than it should. In almost half there games they've scored 1 try or less and last season's 6 nations was built around defence. So how will they do this year. I think they have the personnel but can they put it together consistently.

Italy

23 tests
3 tests failed to score 1 try
11 tests scored 1 try
4 tests scored 2 tries

Italy can score tries. Just usually not many. As with Wales, take out the likes or Argentina, Tonga, USA etc and the record doesn't look as good. To me they look to be developing a backline to add to a good set piece pack, but they have a way to go on attack.

France

22 tests
4 tests failed to score 1 try
9 tests scored 1 try
3 tests scored 2 tries
6 tests scored 3 or more tries

Perhaps the most disappointing team from attacking perspective Given the great French backlines of the past this team has been frigid. The team has only really clicked twice, once against Australia (2012) and recently against England. Having said that, these games show what the French side is capable of.

England

23 tests
5 tests failed to score 1 try
7 tests scored 1 try
3 tests scored 2 tries
8 tests scored 3 or more tries

An England team that can run the ball effectively is a thing to fear. Fortunately it's a bit like the Loch Ness dragon. You're not sure if you seen it, and if you have you start to doubt your memory. My feeling is the team has potential. Young backs and a coach with a desire to play with width. They may be about to turn the corner.

Ireland

21 tests
7 tests failed to score 1 try
4 tests scored 1 try
2 tests scored 2 tries
8 tests scored 3 or more tries

It's fair to say Ireland, like many sides, have struggled in the last two years to score tries consistently. Whilst they've been able to hammer the likes of under prepared, understrength Samoan, Tongan and Argentinian sides at home they've often struggled in the big games. The good news is the current team looks to have real potential.

Scotland

23 tests
9 tests failed to score 1 try
5 tests scored 1 try
4 tests scored 2 tries

The stats are better than I would have thought. I fear for this team. They have a few talented backs, but like Italy, it's difficult to see them tearing the opposition to shreds.

Here's a list of RC and 6 nations teams based on the % games where they have scored more than 1 try. Obviously it's opposition dependent, as well as other factors (e.g. preparation, player availability etc). For example Argentina have played 6 games against lowly ranked South American sides, whist they have leaked tries in Summer and Autumn due to a number of factors.

New Zealand       89%
South Africa        63%
Wales                54%
Argentina            50%
England        48%
Ireland        48%
France        41%
Italy                39%
Scotland        39%
Australia        39%

I think most sides have struggled in the last two years. Only NZ have been able to consistently attack and score. I think South Africa turned the corner last year and Australia (under McKenzie) showed some promise in Autumn. So what do you think about the first games and the teams attack going forward? What and where do they need to improve?

Last edited by blackcanelion on Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

How are the 6 nations teams going on attack Empty Re: How are the 6 nations teams going on attack

Post by blackcanelion Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:44 am

I read the following comments about the French team on http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16016_9148693,00.html

"Had the half-backs been more urgent, France could have run a good couple more tries in, but hesitancy at scrum-half especially was costly in terms of allowing England to regroup at crucial moments. Solve that problem of pace and France are dark horses. "

Where as comments, from the article, about other teams included:

England - kicked to much as the end.
Wales - To predictable, ruck ball too slow and lacked fitness.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

How are the 6 nations teams going on attack Empty Re: How are the 6 nations teams going on attack

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:52 am

I wouldnt be too hard on Scotland, I have absolutely no evidence to back this up but in the last 18 months or so Scotland have run with a far more possession wise attitude, and I would have thought they have scored more tries in the last couple of years than they have for a lot of previous periods.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:00 am

Got something, well its sort of evidence.

In the ABs game against Scotland in 2012, Scotland scored three tries, they had not scored a try against the ABs for the previous seven years.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/nov/11/rugby-union-autumn-international-scotland-new-zealand

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:27 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:

In the ABs game against Scotland in 2012, Scotland scored three tries, they had not scored a try against the ABs for the previous seven years.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/nov/11/rugby-union-autumn-international-scotland-new-zealand

Interesting. according to scrum.com's stats they've failed to score a try in almost half the games against useful opposition over the last 10 years That's 30 games (out of 66 since the start of 2004) against Wales, Ireland, France, England, NZ, Australia or SA. It reinforces that subjective feeling you have that they are one dimensional.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:28 am

Here's Dwyers view on England: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/dwyers-view-france-does-it-again/

Essentially, he felt too much lateral running in the backs and scrum that was well beaten.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:33 am

I was going to point out the lateral running - but last time I criticised England's backs for that I received a torrent of abuse. So I now restrict myself to acknowledging what England have done well.

I thought some of Farrell's restarts were very accurate.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:13 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Probably the combination of Hogg, McVisser and McMaitland has a lot to do with their increased potency and willingness to chance their arm.
Previously their attacking force was Dan Parks misskicking a clearance so badly that went over for a drop goal.

Unfortunately injuries are robbing them of their strike force at the minute and Id expect to see a pretty dour side looking to scrap with England

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:16 am

Nice article and quite revealing re Ireland. Part of it was the style Ireland played under Kidney. it wasnt particularly attacking really.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down