The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which one player from any of the other six nations teams would you want in your team?

+17
tigertattie
Collapse2005
George Carlin
thebandwagonsociety
Barney McGrew did it
mountain man
Hazel Sapling
carpet baboon
No 7&1/2
mikey_dragon
Geordie
BamBam
TAFKA The Oracle
bsando
demosthenes
Sgt_Pooly
TJ
21 posters

Go down

Which one player from any of the other six nations teams would you want in your team? Empty Which one player from any of the other six nations teams would you want in your team?

Post by TJ Mon 20 Mar 2023, 8:25 am

I think we may have done this before but.............

For me as a Scotland fan it would be Peter O'Mahoney. There are more skillful guys out there, there may well be better players out there but the warrior spirit of POM is missing from the Scotland side. I think if we had him we would be harder to beat.

He is a hard man but plays fair. Never a backward step. Never does his head go down. Never does he look beaten.

Scotland have plenty of pace and guile, we have players to match most teams in most position but we are missing that hard edge.

I Think Scotland would be a stronger team with him in the side.

Who would you have and why?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Which one player from any of the other six nations teams would you want in your team? Empty Re: Which one player from any of the other six nations teams would you want in your team?

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 20 Mar 2023, 9:08 am

Dupont....end thread.

Sgt_Pooly

Geordie, TJ and mountain man like this post

Back to top Go down

Which one player from any of the other six nations teams would you want in your team? Empty Re: Which one player from any of the other six nations teams would you want in your team?

Post by TJ Mon 20 Mar 2023, 9:22 am

Dupont may be the best player in the world right now - but we have decent 9s. I think POM would strengthen the Scotland team more

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Mon 20 Mar 2023, 10:06 am

TJ wrote:I think we may have done this before but.............

For me as a Scotland fan it would be Peter O'Mahoney.  There are more skillful guys out there, there may well be better players out there but the warrior spirit of POM is missing from the Scotland side.  I think if we had him we would be harder to beat.

He is a hard man but plays fair.  Never a backward step.  Never does his head go down.  Never does he look beaten.

Scotland have plenty of pace and guile, we have players to match most teams in most position but we are missing that hard edge.

I Think Scotland would be a stronger team with him in the side.

Who would you have and why?

There are a few Scotland fans who have never forgotten / forgiven POM for his 'trip' on Hogg a few years ago.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 20 Mar 2023, 10:08 am

Ramos would compliment VDM and Graham very nicely and having a very reliable kicker would also be a huge plus. Otherwise Doris

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Mon 20 Mar 2023, 10:14 am

For Wales I'd like a big ball carrying, smash 'em out the way, dominant tackle making, enforcer type nightmare of a 2nd row. Can anyone recommend one from the other 6N teams?

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 20 Mar 2023, 10:32 am

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:For Wales I'd like a big ball carrying, smash 'em out the way, dominant tackle making, enforcer type nightmare of a 2nd row.  Can anyone recommend one from the other 6N teams?  

Yes, it is a long time since Wales have had any quality in the second row angel

Flament was seriously impressive this tournament, maybe not that archetype but stood out more than any other lock for me

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Mar 2023, 10:41 am

For England i think we have a number of glaring weaknesses that can be addressed from the kids over the next season or two...

We can bring in more physicality, we have the 10's we just need to pick the right one. We have the wingers etc...BUT i think 3 players would stand out for me.

8 - Doris - Is there any team in the world he wouldnt improve??
9 - Dupont - Hardly rocket science.
12 - Danty / Tuipolotu (Scotland 12) one of those would do us nicely.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 20 Mar 2023, 10:44 am

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:For Wales I'd like a big ball carrying, smash 'em out the way, dominant tackle making, enforcer type nightmare of a 2nd row.  Can anyone recommend one from the other 6N teams?  

Paul Willemse, and he was nicked from SA/Namibia.
Caelen Doris (back-row).

Last edited by mikey_dragon on Mon 20 Mar 2023, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 20 Mar 2023, 10:45 am

Why on earth would anyone want O'Mahony in their team?

mikey_dragon

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 20 Mar 2023, 10:50 am

Fickou would make the biggest difference for England I think.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 20 Mar 2023, 11:38 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Why on earth would anyone want O'Mahony in their team?

He explained that in his post.
Did you not read it but choose to make an "inflammatory" comment based on your own feelings?

carpet baboon

TJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 20 Mar 2023, 11:38 am

For Scotland, I would want Dupont.

Our nines are okay without being another special. I don't think any other of our first choice backs could be seriously upgraded or have the kind of influence on the game that Dupont can.

In the forwards, I think we have weaknesses and our mentality/organisation can fall apart. We match most teams for the first 60 and then seem to drop off. Dupont, I think, would help with organising and putting the forwards into positions to succeed, particularly integrating the subs into the gameplan.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Mon 20 Mar 2023, 11:48 am

Got to be honest out of all the excellent players in the Irish team, O'Mahony does not spring to mind. He'd be one of last from that side I'd pick but each to their own. No-one is right on this or any forum, all just opinions.

mountain man

mikey_dragon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Mon 20 Mar 2023, 11:51 am

For England, a centre from any other side please
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 20 Mar 2023, 11:51 am

carpet baboon wrote:

Did you not read it but choose to make an "inflammatory" comment based on your own feelings?

Inflammatory is when a bunch of English and Irish keep invading Wales threads blaming the ref, and then crying when they get told about it. Good luck with the next set of tears Sad

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 20 Mar 2023, 11:53 am

mountain man wrote:

Got to be honest out of all the excellent players in the Irish team, O'Mahony does not spring to mind. He'd be one of last from that side I'd pick but each to their own. No-one is right on this or any forum, all just opinions.

You're right, opinions. Certain factions put themselves on a pedestal and try to dismiss other people's perspecitve though, as you can see.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 20 Mar 2023, 12:00 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

Inflammatory is when a bunch of English and Irish keep invading Wales threads blaming the ref, and then crying when they get told about it. Good luck with the next set of tears Sad

You seem a little upset Mikey, all I did was point that he explained why he would pick O'Mahony and yet your "opinion" was to ask why he would pick O'Mahony. Which in fact is a question. A question he answered. When he explained why he would pick him.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 20 Mar 2023, 12:01 pm

Can you two get a room or put each other on ignore pls

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 20 Mar 2023, 12:04 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Can you two get a room or put each other on ignore pls

I would but he won't let me bring my O'Mahony poster with me

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 20 Mar 2023, 12:04 pm

How about using your mod powers?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 20 Mar 2023, 12:11 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Can you two get a room or put each other on ignore pls

Will do but you might need to have a word there. Firstly, the false accusation because I don't rate POM that highly, and then the numerous abuses of the complaints facility. Please PM me if you feel the need, welcome.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 20 Mar 2023, 12:12 pm

Geordie wrote:For England i think we have a number of glaring weaknesses that can be addressed from the kids over the next season or two...

We can bring in more physicality, we have the 10's we just need to pick the right one. We have the wingers etc...BUT i think 3 players would stand out for me.

Just for consideration. Dan Sheehan. Jamie George has been a great servant and all, but there is something off with your tight five. Genge, Sinckler, Itoje and Chessum all seem great individuals but there just seems to be some pep/tempo missing out of there?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 20 Mar 2023, 12:13 pm

That Doris feller is actually whom we need (no disrespect to Fagerson or Dempsey).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 20 Mar 2023, 12:14 pm

carpet baboon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

You seem a little upset Mikey, all I did was point that he explained why he would pick O'Mahony and yet your "opinion" was to ask why he would pick O'Mahony. Which in fact is a question. A question he answered. When he explained why he would pick him.

Quite odd to get upset then falsely accuse someone, and then follow up by saying they're the one upset. All I did was not rate POM. We seem to always get this reaction from some when they don't rate an Irish player. I mean come on, get over it Headscratch.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 20 Mar 2023, 12:31 pm

Dupont is the obvious one as he would improve any team and would be probably the right choice for Ireland too however, if not Dupont maybe Id choose Thibaud Flament as he is absolutely red hot at the moment.

My third choice would be Owen Farrell as we are still a bit light behind Jonny Sexton and he could team up with his dad and play second fiddle to Jonny when he runs out of gas.

Honorable mentions to Russell, Penaud, Garbisi, Capuozzo and Baille.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 20 Mar 2023, 12:37 pm

1 thing I don't get re the POM choice from a Scotland perspective is that I really rate Titchie highly. For me he's current a better player.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 20 Mar 2023, 12:42 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:1 thing I don't get re the POM choice from a Scotland perspective is that I really rate Titchie highly. For me he's current a better player.

I would agree. However Scotland are missing that hard edge / warrior mentality / never take a backward step. POM would provide it Surely we could find a place for him in the back row?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 20 Mar 2023, 1:23 pm

TJ wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:1 thing I don't get re the POM choice from a Scotland perspective is that I really rate Titchie highly. For me he's current a better player.

I would agree.  However Scotland are missing that hard edge / warrior mentality / never take a backward step.  POM would provide it  Surely we could find a place for him in the back row?

If you want that hard edge, POM isn't your man. He constantly behaves like a big sh/*house whenever he plays Welsh teams. We don't rate him at all. He was incredibly poor on the Lions tour. I can acknowledge he was good in NZ when Ireland won a series there last summer, but those performances seem few and far between these days. I think Ireland (Leinster) can put out better players than him.

Just waiting for this comment to be complained about now thumbsup

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 20 Mar 2023, 1:40 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
TJ wrote:

I would agree.  However Scotland are missing that hard edge / warrior mentality / never take a backward step.  POM would provide it  Surely we could find a place for him in the back row?

If you want that hard edge, POM isn't your man. He constantly behaves like a big sh/*house whenever he plays Welsh teams. We don't rate him at all. He was incredibly poor on the Lions tour. I can acknowledge he was good in NZ when Ireland won a series there last summer, but those performances seem few and far between these days. I think Ireland (Leinster) can put out better players than him.

I forgot to add, POM is joint 2nd for all time Red Cards in the 6N. Not sure I would welcome that to my team. Thanks again Collapse for the link.

https://rugby.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeRedCards?comp_code=5730112

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 20 Mar 2023, 1:43 pm

I can see why some people might not rate POM, have been guilty of it myself at times as there was a question mark over physicality for me compared to other back row forwards especially when he was picked at six. He will never blast people out of the way like Ferris or O'Brien. However, he is technically brilliant, he is a great leader, he is a great lineout operator, he is a team player, and poacher and hard as nails and my God he will never give up. He is the Enoch Burke of Irish rugby, just will not give up. At 94 caps he is an Irish legend now and has earned his stripes a long time ago.

Collapse2005

TJ and carpet baboon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 20 Mar 2023, 1:44 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
TJ wrote:

I forgot to add, POM is joint 2nd for all time Red Cards in the 6N. Not sure I would welcome that to my team. Thanks again Collapse for the link.

https://rugby.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeRedCards?comp_code=5730112

Haha joint second with 1 red card. Brilliant Mikey.

Collapse2005

mikey_dragon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 20 Mar 2023, 1:44 pm

DuPont is the obvious one. If the 6ns formed a touring team, no other 9 would get a look in. Russell and NTamack fight out the 10 jersey, Porter and schoemann fight it out, you get where this is going.

From a Scotland viewpoint, if we ain’t taking DuPont, then Doris is yer man. We need a carrying backrower, badly. Dempsey may be stepping up to this role but right now Doris would be the pick.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 20 Mar 2023, 1:46 pm

As others have noted, England have a few issues (8, 9, centres most obviously) but of those, Dupont would clearly be the one who would improve things the most - having faster tempo and more threat around the fringes might well make the other issues somewhat moot, as the rest of the team would generally look better on go-forward ball.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 20 Mar 2023, 1:49 pm

tigertattie wrote:DuPont is the obvious one. If the 6ns formed a touring team, no other 9 would get a look in. Russell and NTamack fight out the 10 jersey, Porter and schoemann fight it out, you get where this is going.

From a Scotland viewpoint, if we ain’t taking DuPont, then Doris is yer man. We need a carrying backrower, badly. Dempsey may be stepping up to this role but right now Doris would be the pick.

No way Id pick either Russell nor Ntamak over Sexton. Dupont makes Ntamak look good and Russell is very good but not Jonny Sexton and never will be. Sexton is the heart beat, talisman and leader of a side that has now won a series in NZ and arguably the most dominant grand slam of all time in the six nations.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Mar 2023, 1:50 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:
Geordie wrote:For England i think we have a number of glaring weaknesses that can be addressed from the kids over the next season or two...

Just for consideration. Dan Sheehan. Jamie George has been a great servant and all, but there is something off with your tight five. Genge, Sinckler, Itoje and Chessum all seem great individuals but there just seems to be some pep/tempo missing out of there?

Nah the front row is ok...a work in progress? Absolutely...but in a decent pack with the right balance George is fine. The balance of the pack is totally out...as has been discussed to death by England fans...the French game brutaly exposed the lack of real brute power and phyiscality. We actually have the players to rectify that...but we are missing a few other positions.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 20 Mar 2023, 2:04 pm

Sexton v Russell

I think it a really interesting debate. Such different types of players. Russell can do stuff that Sexton can only dream of but Sexton has a reliability that Russell can only dream of

AS an analogy - Sexton is steak and chips. Russell is nouvelle cuisine. sometimes a steak and chips is what you need but sometimes you need that little bit extra taste even if it risks leaving you hungry :-)

I think its a really hard call

TJ

Unclear and carpet baboon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 20 Mar 2023, 2:36 pm

TJ wrote:Sexton v Russell

I think it a really interesting debate.  Such different types of players.  Russell can do stuff that Sexton can only dream of but Sexton has a reliability that Russell can only dream of

AS an analogy - Sexton is steak and chips.  Russell is nouvelle cuisine.  sometimes a steak and chips is what you need but sometimes you need that little bit extra taste even if it risks leaving you hungry :-)

If Sexton is steak and chips, you know it's going to be great every time, then Russell has to be eating Tapas blindfolded. You know it's going to be great but you just don't know in what way until you're eating it and once in a while there's a little something you don't like. Smile

Anyway, from an Ireland perspective it'd be far too easy to say Dupont, everybody wants Dupont so I'll take Ollivon. He'd comlplete us.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 20 Mar 2023, 4:45 pm

TJ wrote:Sexton v Russell

I think it a really interesting debate.  Such different types of players.  Russell can do stuff that Sexton can only dream of but Sexton has a reliability that Russell can only dream of

AS an analogy - Sexton is steak and chips.  Russell is nouvelle cuisine.  sometimes a steak and chips is what you need but sometimes you need that little bit extra taste even if it risks leaving you hungry :-)

Impossible to judge who is 'better'. I would also be interested to see what sort of player Russell would be now had he been in the right place at the right time in the Leinster success machine. Sexton has won 6x Pro 14 championships and 4x ERC Cups. Would Leinster have won all of that without him? Given the overall dominance of that franchise, I think it's probable, yes. Sexton is also 7 years older than Russell - we'd need to wait until the end of their careers to compare them.

Nice to see talented NH 10s on show, though.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Unclear Mon 20 Mar 2023, 9:03 pm

Opinions, what are they worth, everyone has them.  It just seems a trifle impolite to tell someone that they don't know the player they would want in their team, and not even bother to answer the question to boot.

In the end I would go for Danty

(a) because I want to be different
(b) it would stop the constant Aki/McCloskey arguments
(c) while Capuozzo is great it is hard to dismiss Keenan, back to the Russell/Sexton argument perhaps.

Last edited by Unclear on Tue 21 Mar 2023, 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Unclear

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 20 Mar 2023, 10:47 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:

Couldn't agree more.  Most teams would pick any of them up in a heartbeat, but the collective is not right.  I give George some slack because I think he is playing too many minutes and has looked bushed after 60 minutes.  But for the rest, really hard to say.

And by the way, I would want Capuozzo in my team.  England will still lose, but would be a bit more entertaining.  At least until Farrell kicks possession away again.  Plus Capuozzo would be good for some column inches.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down