The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shocking Sacking At Swansea

+10
Jimmy Moz
Hibbz
NickisBHAFC
CFCNick
Dolphin Ziggler
mystiroakey
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
guildfordbat
hampo17
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shocking Sacking At Swansea Empty Shocking Sacking At Swansea

Post by hampo17 Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:56 am

By Joshua Pearce

Swansea City have sacked their Danish boss Michael Laudrup after 600 days and 84 matches in charge, making him the seventh Premier League manager to leave this season.

The rather surprising dismissal came only a day after Swansea's chairman, Huw Jenkins, had profoundly denied any rumours of discussion surrounding Laudrup's future at the club. The current club captain, Garry Monk, who is in his tenth year of service at the club, has been given the reins temporarily; including for this weekend's south Wales derby against rivals Cardiff City.

Truth be told it has been a rather difficult second season for Laudrup in charge of Swansea. His first season in charge, by contrast, saw Swansea finish 9th in the Premier League, which was gladly accompanied by silverware in the cabinet; namely the Carling Cup which was Swansea City's first ever major trophy. That ensured a gateway to Europe in the form of the Europa League; although you could argue that the Europa League is more of a curse than a blessing.

The second season had been less joyous for Laudrup and Swansea. Any chance of repeated success in the Carling Cup was dashed at the first hurdle by Championship side Birmingham City, who triumphed 3-1. The league has proven a tougher task as well; at the time of writing, Swansea currently stand only two points above the perilous drop zone and with a mere six wins all season. This fall in league form may be explained away by the hindrance of the Europa League and having to play Thursday-Sunday on some weeks. Newcastle are a very good example of this in recent time. Indeed, Swansea have only been victorious on two occasions out of nine in direct succession to a Europa League game.

However, despite the slightly off-colour nature of Swansea's league form, it is thought by most pundits and fans that Swansea will still be in the Premier League next season. They have the necessary quality that some teams below them may lack to see off any possible risk of relegation this season. And that is why the sacking is particularly surprising. A period of transition and upheaval now will do little to help Swansea's stability - both on and off the pitch - and if there's one thing you need to ensure the quality of your squad gets played out to the highest potential on the pitch, it's stability.

Regarding the transfer market, Laudrup will probably be best remembered for his signing of Michu in the summer of 2012. The Spaniard, who endeared himself to many fantasy football players, netted 18 goals in his first season in the Premier League - not bad for a player who cost a couple of million, eh? Particularly when you factor in the over-inflated nature of today's footballing transfer market. Other signings made during that summer who have also bedded in nicely at the club include midfielder Pablo Hernandez and defender Chico Flores.

As the commercial revenues of Swansea City Football Club expanded, so to did the ambition of the club under their manager. In July 2013, Laudrup broke the club record signing fee to sign Wilfred Bony for £12 million; he has scored seven goals in twenty appearances this season. Preceding that was the acquisition of Jonjo Shelvey for £5 million. Adding to that, the midfielder Jonathan De Guzman has been on loan at Swansea for two seasons making 57 appearances - a good signing no doubt helped by Laudrup's links to the player.

But for all his good signings, his Carling Cup success and a top ten finish in the Premier League, it is all over for Michael Laudrup at Swansea. Six defeats in his last eight league games, whilst only two points clear of the drop, is what his critics will point to; those who champion the Dane will refer to his previous successes, the fact that Swansea remain in the FA Cup and Europa League this season, and that the Swans remain relatively untroubled by relegation at this point, no matter what the points tally says.

The question now turns to the matter of Laudrup's permanent successor. Garry Monk, who as previously mentioned is taking charge for the foreseeable future, is the betting favourite to take full charge, his lack of coaching experience seemingly no barrier to a full-time appointment. Marcelo Bielsa, who has a managerial career spanning two decades largely in Spain and South America, including the Argentine national team for six years, is also one of the front-runners. Notable outsiders include Glenn Hoddle, who does seem keen for a return to the dugout, and Dennis Bergkamp, who was linked to the post when Brendan Rodgers left.

It was probably not the end that Laudrup, or indeed Swansea supporters, would have anticipated during the open-top bus parade following the Carling Cup success or while basking in the aftermath of a top-half finish last summer. But it has happened and now Swansea will look ahead to the future...again, for this will be Swansea's fifth different manager in five years.

Upheaval, it seems, is something that they're used to. Whether they will continue to rise, like Southampton have done, or fall, like Charlton, is another matter entirely.

http://v2journal.com/22/post/2014/02/shocking-sacking-at-swansea.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Shocking Sacking At Swansea Empty Re: Shocking Sacking At Swansea

Post by guildfordbat Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:54 am

That's a good and well balanced article.

The only thing I would take issue with is use of the word ''Shocking'' in the title. To me, it seemed sadly inevitable. Even from this distance it's been clear that matters on and off the pitch have not been right. As I posted at the week-end, Swansea were absolutely terrible in their defeat to West Ham. A game in isolation is no reason at all to sack a manager but that did seem to sum up where they are at and the direction in which they are heading. I still think they'll survive for another year in the Premier League if only because there are at least three worse teams in it currently.

As for Laudrup, I like the man and wish him well. He always comes across as intelligent and thoughtful in interviews just as he did when playing. However, I do wonder if there's any significance in him generally only having stayed a couple of seasons at clubs he's managed.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:31 am

guildfordbat wrote:That's a good and well balanced article.

The only thing I would take issue with is use of the word ''Shocking'' in the title. To me, it seemed sadly inevitable. Even from this distance it's been clear that matters on and off the pitch have not been right. As I posted at the week-end, Swansea were absolutely terrible in their defeat to West Ham. A game in isolation is no reason at all to sack a manager but that did seem to sum up where they are at and the direction in which they are heading. I still think they'll survive for another year in the Premier League if only because there are at least three worse teams in it currently.

As for Laudrup, I like the man and wish him well. He always comes across as intelligent and thoughtful in interviews just as he did when playing. However, I do wonder if there's any significance in him generally only having stayed a couple of seasons at clubs he's managed.

Thank you for the comment Guildford.  OK 

Maybe "surprising" should have been the word I used in the headline; it was after all a departure that not many saw coming.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:41 am

Totally justified and expected for me. Dissent in the dressing room, poor performances and results on the pitch, and the manager himself seems too blaise. How you can give your players two days off and jet off to Paris after such a dreadful defeat to West Ham is beyond me.

Typical Laudrup reign
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:30 pm

I really like the way Swansea play.

They have some skilfull players and pass the ball very well. I think this was a mistake, but then I dont know the inns and outs of the situation. There was seemingly a rift between him players and the board....

It may have been unresovable.. All reports were suggesting he would leave in the summer anyway.

Swansea's caretaker or new manager has a pretty easy job considering the quality he has..

I just hope Swansea stick with the decent brand of football they have been playing since Rodgers.

If they do get Hoddle that could end up being inspired.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:23 pm

It's not really shocking, given the results & he was obviously going to leave in the summer anyway. His heart was not in the job anymore, Ngog & Emnes were never Laudrup signings in a million years, I think Laudrup knows a good player when he sees one & these weren't at all.

Everyone knew the strained relationship with Huw Jenkins, therefore it was only a matter of time before action was taken. Laudrup has never spent a long time at one club, as he needs new challenges & excitement in his life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:15 pm

Swansea played this brand of football long before Rodgers/Laudrup and will do so for longer yet
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:07 pm

Martinez and Sousa will take that claim. Funnily, I would say all have suffered similar fates on the pitch; after a while the cutting edge they found got snuffed out and it took a new manager to push them on again.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:47 pm

Oh look. Another new post from the journal about football or boxing.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:03 pm

CFCNick wrote:Oh look. Another new post from the journal about football or boxing.

Well, I look forward to your's on synchronised swimming!  Wink 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:04 pm

CFCNick wrote:Oh look. Another new post from the journal about football or boxing.

Without being rude, what's your point?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:45 pm

What are you on about?

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:52 pm

It's nothing to do with this article. Just the journal. Apparently they have no time to upload my olympic hockey article I sent them a week ago but yet several new football and boxing posts appear. Marvellous.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Nick, I have sent you a PM I suggest you read it before having any further outbursts.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:42 pm

I understand time constraints but it's been the same way since August. You'd probably feel the same if it was the other way.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:45 pm

Maybe, I wouldn't let my outbursts out for everyone to see though Wink

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:02 pm

CFCNick wrote:I understand time constraints but it's been the same way since August. You'd probably feel the same if it was the other way.

As someone who used to be bothered enough to either edit interviews down for Adam or post stuff, its a ruddy hassle half the time so its probably just luck that the person running the football section is someone who puts the effort in to get on there, whilst whoever is uploading across other areas will do it when its not gonna take up too much of their spare time.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:11 pm

I think what they are trying to tell you Nick is that your "Olympic hockey article" is sh!t.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:13 pm

You don't mince your words do you hibbz.

Have you sent your "Germany for 2014 World Cup" article yet?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:16 pm

No, have you sent your "Golfing with the Grates"?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:17 pm

Good one lol..

Took me time to figure that one out

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:38 pm

Maybe, just maybe, Hibbz will be supporting England this summer.

Ah England, never was a country so fine.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:45 pm

Hibbz wrote:I think what they are trying to tell you Nick is that your "Olympic hockey article" is sh!t.

I know hockey isn't everyone's cup of tea on here. Just check the hockey section. But they do like saying they're all about expanding their audience and traffic into the sites.

I'm not too concerned whether it gets on the journal or not. It's the fact they keep saying they'll do it but don't. There's been 14 podcasts. They only have 2. Plus 3 blog posts I've posted on this site which they have none of on the journal.

Can't be that sh!t. My blog got 300 views last month despite being quiet for a while over Christmas and a family death to mourn. Not a big number but it's enough for me to continue.

Sorry for the "outburst".  Whistle 

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Perhaps once they realise you're King Leonidas they'll take more notice Nick.

Not a chance I'll be supporting England Joshua. I can't think of a single player that has any chance of being picked that I'd cheer on.

Think I'll probably go for Uruguay - I enjoy watching Suarez.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:16 pm

The irony is if Suarez was English you would hate him because he dives, bites and has made racist comments.. Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:19 pm

Hibbz wrote:Perhaps once they realise you're King Leonidas they'll take more notice Nick.

Not a chance I'll be supporting England Joshua. I can't think of a single player that has any chance of being picked that I'd cheer on.

Think I'll probably go for Uruguay - I enjoy watching Suarez.

You'll cheer on Suarez despite all his misdeeds, but you won't cheer on England who don't have any players as low as that oaf.?

You know where your heart truly lies Hibbz. That green and pleasant land, the land of all that is great and good.

England till you die, you're England till you die, you know you are, you're sure you are, you're England till you die.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:26 pm

Always thought that was a suitably moronic chant Duty. Do you think the knuckleheads who sing it, when asked for their nationality write "England"?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 pm

When Hibbz has to fill out a form that asks for nationality.

He writes.

Anyone but England

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 pm

Hibbz wrote:Always thought that was a suitably moronic chant Duty. Do you think the knuckleheads who sing it, when asked for their nationality write "England"?

Do lighten up darling. You're far too serious.

Much love,

Your favourite Englishman. x

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:46 pm

That got me thinking who would be my second favourite Englishman.

With limited thinking time (and ability) I came up with George Orwell.

Or KP.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:48 pm

If you had to rank yourself on the scale where would you come?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:50 pm

Over-rated.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:52 pm

Don't be so hard on yourself hibbz..

The greatest Englishman of all time for me has to be a toss up between Richard Branson and Gary Oldman .

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:58 pm

I think the sacking is pretty bad, but Laudrup was going to leave at the end of the season anyway probably. In regards to the world cup, as an Irishman I shall be sure to be supporting anyone who England play the same as they supported whoever we played during USA 94. I guess the thought of someone else from the British Isles stealing they're thunder and limelight was a bit too much for them. So come on "Anyone but England".

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:01 pm

You would be hard pushed to find one Englishman that supported any team against Ireland. Don't try and make excuses as to why you want to support teams against English. It's not our bag. But feel free to embrace your own hate mate.. Don't paint us with your brush though.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:08 pm

Er not that hard pushed actually Mysti..........

I always cheer on the opposition against Scotland, EIRE and Wales. Even before I cheered on the opposition against England. Never had any problem with it being reciprocated either.

Always had a soft spot for the Northern Irish since the '82 World Cup for some reason though.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:12 pm

I have never once seen that behaviour.

You are a different case though. You support against every British Isle nation including England.

I have no problem with others doing it. I think it is immensely sad behaviour though. To waste such time on hate . It's just not my bag or thankfully the majority of England's bag either.. You are in a massive minority.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:19 pm

My old man has never forgiven himself for cheering on England in the 1966 world cup final. He said though that British football was different back in those days and English fans were a decent bunch as opposed to the thugs now that sing songs like '2 world wars and one world cup' and 'My grandad killed your grandad' and booing everyone elses anthem

He said that generally England, Scotland and Wales got on well and as opposed to now and that back then England winning the world cup was seen as a British success where as now its all about 'English greatness' and England fans would have cheered on Scotland or Wales had they been in the final unlike now where England would cheer on the opposition just like Scotland and Wales would do to them

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:25 pm

Steffan that's your problem. You have been brainwashed by your dad.

Why don't you try and meet english people and form your own opinion.

The nonsense that we don't support the home nations is becoming ridiculous. It's just what you want to believe. We are not like you Steffan.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:28 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Steffan that's your problem. You have been brainwashed by your dad.

Why don't you try and meet english people and form your own opinion.
How have I been brainwashed by my dad? He doesnt mind the English

Meet English people? I study with about 50 of them and have lunch etc in Uni everyday. And I have met literally hundreds on archaeological excavations

Your not really making any sense here...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:29 pm

And by the way my best mate in Uni is English as is my best mate back home as well

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:30 pm

And these English cheer against Wales do they?

Ask them?

You will then realise it's your problem not ours. Every body I know either supported Wales in the semi final v France or at the very least didn't support against you.

Seriously stop trying to make excuses up. We are not like you.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:31 pm

Yeah and my best mate is black so I can't be racist.!!!!!!

I don't care if you support anyone but England. What I hate is the fact you say we support anyone but Wales , Scotland or Ireland.,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:33 pm

mystiroakey wrote:And these English cheer against Wales do they?

Ask them?

You will then realise it's your problem not ours. Every body I know either supported Wales in the semi final v France or at the very least didn't support against you.

Seriously stop trying to make excuses up. We are not like you.
I dont care whether you support us or not. Your not obliged to and visa versa

The English people I know supported France against Wales but the ones I know well generally live in Wales and love winding us up when we lose

Either way it doesnt bother me. People can support who they like  thumbsup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:34 pm

That would imply I care about them. Take it as a compliment Mysti, I always have

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:38 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:That would imply I care about them. Take it as a compliment Mysti, I always have

As I said I dont care who they support against England. I care that they judge the English as being the same..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:14 pm

I love people supporting "anyone but England".

It's rather pathetic and amusing in equal gesture. Pathetic that people like Steffan spout their typical rubbish (as previously said, I would love it if all the Home Nations made the World Cup), and amusing that some people care so much about the English football team, despite disliking them, that they'll support whoever England play.

Jealously. Bless.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:17 pm

Who would read about Hockey  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:18 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Who would read about Hockey  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh

I would retort with, "Who's gonna read anything you write?"  Whistle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:20 pm

I will read about hockey...

If hockey was still like it is portrayed in the film goon I would be a big fan..

Cracking film that one. Worth a watch.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next