The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Euro ProTour

3 posters

Go down

The Euro ProTour Empty The Euro ProTour

Post by Doc Thu 19 May 2011, 1:16 pm

Did anyone watch the event which was televised on Sky last night. I was amazed at the state of the greens which highlighted some shocking putting. I'm not that clever with the short stick myself, but some of the misses from within a foot were amazing.

The players on show are supposed to be the future of our game, with the best of these going onto the champions tour and ultimatley the ET. I don't know when this event took place, but the state of the greens and sloppy brown/bare fairways doesn't put a good light on this particular Norfolk club. You could clearly see tine marks on every green and they were just lumpy and bumpy and not once did I see a true roll. +2 won the event, but to be fair there was a lot of promising young players in the field, who shot some great golf, but made themselves look silly on these greens. The commentary team didn't even mention the greens once, which I thought was strange.

Last edited by Doc on Thu 19 May 2011, 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Doc

Back to top Go down

The Euro ProTour Empty Re: The Euro ProTour

Post by JPX Thu 19 May 2011, 1:57 pm

I assume you mean the Euro Pro Tour? Yes the greesn were shocking, not sure what time of year it was played but they were awful.

I'm not sure what course it was but it looked pretty open and bland, much like a links Very Happy

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 19 May 2011, 2:09 pm

JPX wrote:I assume you mean the Euro Pro Tour? Yes the greesn were shocking, not sure what time of year it was played but they were awful.

I'm not sure what course it was but it looked pretty open and bland, much like a links Very Happy

I assume you meant greens Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 19 May 2011, 2:38 pm

obviously

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May 2011, 2:39 pm

Wenshum Valley in Norfolk. It's known as a shocker.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 19 May 2011, 2:59 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Wenshum Valley in Norfolk. It's known as a shocker.

So was there a backhander for someone here? The previous events on this tour were held at Wychwood and Slaley Hall which are different quality to this brickyard. I may be doing it an injustice, but it looked dire out on the fairways and the greens were mainly postage stamps and crowned, but lumpy/bumpy and freshly tined/treated, which doesn't make for tournament golf. I've played on some shocking greens this year at my away course, but it was down to the extreme weather and the course was still snow covered until the end of january, so only now coming back to life.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May 2011, 3:08 pm

The EuroPro is run for profit remember... so the courses might not always be top of the line places.

I know a few guys who have held cards on there and one who is a current player. All of them have slated this place repeatedly. With one of them not even bothering to enter when he was active.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 19 May 2011, 3:24 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:The EuroPro is run for profit remember... so the courses might not always be top of the line places.

I know a few guys who have held cards on there and one who is a current player. All of them have slated this place repeatedly. With one of them not even bothering to enter when he was active.

That makes sense now, as it seems De Vere have most of the events stiched up, except for this spot. De Vere are struggling really, and I know they get plenty of stick from their own membership because of lack of booking slots, as they tend to cater for hotel guests and corporate gigs more. In my case we have Wychwood Park over the road from my club, and plenty of their members are defecting to us, including the whole ladies section I believe. The seniors baled out a couple of years ago, when their normal mid week medal took 8-hours, due to having to follow the blind golf society Very Happy I know I shouldn't laugh, but that tickled me. De Vere usually have 2 tracks, one kept fro corporate and guests, and one for members.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May 2011, 3:51 pm

They choose these places so that they can get the guys into the hotels at 'discounted' rates midweek more often than not.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down