The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oscar Whisky faces four Welsh Champion Hurdle rivals

5 posters

Go down

Oscar Whisky faces four Welsh Champion Hurdle rivals  Empty Oscar Whisky faces four Welsh Champion Hurdle rivals

Post by Adam D Sat 05 Feb 2011, 12:01 pm

Welsh Champion Hurdle
Venue: Ffos Las Racecourse Date: Saturday, 5 February Starts: 1440 GMT
Coverage: Full coverage on BBC Radio Wales & BBC Sport website. Live on Channel 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ffos Las owner Dai Walters' horse Oscar Whisky faces only four rivals as the 1-7 odds-on ante post favourite runs in the first Welsh Champion Hurdle.

And three of star horse Oscar Whisky's challengers will be trained in Wales.

Vale of Glamorgan handler Evan Williams is targeting his hurdler Barizan at the £45,000 race on Saturday while he also trains 20-1 outsider Tarkari.

And Pembrokeshire trainer Rebecca Curtis has a fantastic record at Ffos Las and saddles Black Jack Blues.

The Irish challenge is from County Kildare trainer Sabrina Harty and her chancer Won In The Dark shares second favourite with Curtis' eight-year-old Black Jack Blues.

The Welsh Champion Hurdle is the Carmarthenshire racecourse's highest-profile fixture since opening 18 months ago so it is a blow just five horses will compete for the reinstalled race as many have opted to race at Sandown.

Oscar Whisky prepares for the Cheltenham Festival at Walters' home track, where he will be partnered by Barry Geraghty, as the owner wants his horse to win the first big race at Ffos Las.

full story - bbc website http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/9388015.stm

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Oscar Whisky faces four Welsh Champion Hurdle rivals  Empty Re: Oscar Whisky faces four Welsh Champion Hurdle rivals

Post by Solerina Tue 08 Feb 2011, 4:02 pm

I live an unbelievably busy life and have only just looked at the results for Saturday's Welsh Champion Hurdle.

I see Oscar Whisky won impressively.

I don't know what's happened to poor Barizan..........I would love to see him winning again.

I must try and make more time for following the racing.......it used to be my biggest passion in life.......till other things took over.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Oscar Whisky faces four Welsh Champion Hurdle rivals  Empty Oscar Whisky ...

Post by Grahame1971 Tue 08 Feb 2011, 5:19 pm

Sol,

It's a shame about Barizan, seems to have completely lost all ability now. I remember my Mrs backing it at Cheltenham last year in the Triumph Hurdle, we were certainly cheering it on coming to the last, just didn't quite last home but was a game run. Was glad it won at Punchestown in the 4YO hurdle but i think the writing was on the wall when it ran so poorly first time out this season behind Clerks Choice. I heard Evan Williams on ATR last week talking about the horse, he says it comes into itself in the Spring but the way it ran on Saturday i think miracles are needed to get this ones interest back in the game.
Oscar Whisky won well enough, but didn't really beat much, the interesting one for me in the race was Tarkari. Another one of Evan Williams that, if not for a blunder at the last would have finished 2nd and been pretty close to the winner. Formerly with Willie Mullins, i think it has a race in him somewhere before the end of the season, possibly a nice hanidcap somewhere but will need it very soft or heavy.

Cheers thumbsup

Grahame1971

Back to top Go down

Oscar Whisky faces four Welsh Champion Hurdle rivals  Empty Re: Oscar Whisky faces four Welsh Champion Hurdle rivals

Post by theenigmathatisTIDALBAY Wed 09 Feb 2011, 9:30 am

i was on barizan on saturday as didnt really see the point of siding with oscar whisky at 1/5. it was a dissapointing run in all honesty but hopefully he can bounce back. from last years viewing he looked like he could take over the reigns as the new lough derg. not particulary classy but full of guts. think he should be left alone with now till next year. maybe a nice long break will do barizan some good

theenigmathatisTIDALBAY

Back to top Go down

Post by racingnut Sat 12 Feb 2011, 11:37 am

I really liked Oscar Whisky last season and i was of the opinion that it was only the quicker ground at the Festival that stopped him from being really competitve(all his previous form was with cut in the ground),that being the case then you would have to worry about him going down the Champion Hurdle route as more often than not these days we get decent ground come Cheltenham.If by some chance we got a real monsoon and it was real "winter" ground then he has an outstanding claim.Irrespective of what he does this season i cant wait for him to have a crack at novice chasing.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down