The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sturm or Golovkin for Martin Murray

+8
Strongback
Gerry SA
TopHat24/7
Hammersmith harrier
catchweight
Derbymanc
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sturm or Golovkin for Martin Murray Empty Sturm or Golovkin for Martin Murray

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Feb 2014, 1:54 pm

According to Hatton Promotions, there are two world title offers on the table for St. Helens middleweight Martin Murray - a rematch with Felix Sturm in Germany or a Monte Carlo meet-up with fearsome Kazakh puncher Gennady Golovkin.

Hatton Promotions claims that Murray would earn a career best payday against Golovkin, and says that time is running out for him to make a decision.

Since his controversial points loss to Sergio Martinez in April last year, Murray has appeared on a Matchroom Promotions bill in December - a laboured eight round points win over Belarusian Sergey Khomitsky at the ExCel Arena, London.

In 2012, a fight with Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr in the US was scuppered due to problems obtaining a visa.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Sturm or Golovkin for Martin Murray Empty Re: Sturm or Golovkin for Martin Murray

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 1:59 pm

Sturm is more sensible...Not sure why GGG wants another Martinez victim..

Murray can beat Sturm who isn't getting younger..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Sturm or Golovkin for Martin Murray Empty Re: Sturm or Golovkin for Martin Murray

Post by Derbymanc Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:00 pm

I reckon he should face Sturm first, hopefully win that and then face Golovkin. He could have 2 good paydays then.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:15 pm

He won't face GGG If he beats Sturm....

He'll milk the belt and why not...Other fighters do..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:21 pm

Interesting that Golovkin's team have offered Murray a career-high payday (shows how much trouble they're having landing a world class opponent). Geale and Murray appear to be vying for the Monte Carlo slot. It would be great if GGG could square off with Martinez at the end of the year.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:22 pm

If Geale and Murray are vying for the slot..

Why is he having trouble getting a world class opponent ?

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If Geale and Murray are vying for the slot..

Why is he having trouble getting a world class opponent ?

Murray hasn't signed (and is running out of time to do so). He's obviously been offered more than he'll take home against Sturm. Geale must be the fall back (reading between the lines).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:31 pm

I'd certainly target Sturm Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:41 pm

Id rather see Golovkin in with Murray than Geale. If he can take Murray out quickly then that really would be a statement.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'd certainly target Sturm Mate..

That would be a hell of a fight based on Sturm's showing against Barker. I know Barker's hip went but Sturm had promised a more aggressive approach and he looked very good even before Barker became injured.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:43 pm

catchweight wrote:Id rather see Golovkin in with Murray than Geale. If he can take Murray out quickly then that really would be a statement.

Murray would be perfect for Golovkin to answer the naysayers (in the absence of a fight with Martinez). Good, strong contender.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:45 pm

I'll say Haz if GGG takes Murray out in impressive fashion I'll start to believe the hype, would says he got the best chin in the division.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:46 pm

Take the Sturm fight, win the belt, then get a bigger share of the pie versus GGG.

Even 'milking the belt' probably won't get him any more money as there just isn't the cash out there.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:49 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I'll say Haz if GGG takes Murray out in impressive fashion I'll start to believe the hype, would says he got the best chin in the division.

And then pay me my winnings? If Murray turns it down, I guess GGG is still all hype and overplaying the "avoided" tag?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:50 pm

GGG needs Martinez for Murray to earn big money against him..

Not a name yet..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:53 pm

If he is offering Murray a career high pay day - Murray who has signed to fight three other world champions already in the past - then surely it shows his avoided tag is just that. He is having to pay over the odds just to get a ranked opponent.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:06 pm

Yup. And it's Murray's promoters offering that up, not team Golovkin.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:08 pm

Doesn't beat either IMO.

Sturm's already beaten Murray. Golovkin splatters him.

I wanted to see Sturm-Macklin 2...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:13 pm

I like Murray...Sturm looks ready to be taken..

Martinez is the one you want though..

Looks very worn.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:14 pm

GGG  is a HBO star so it's not too surprising he can make a bigger offer.  Strum also just broke the bank to bring Barker to Germany so maybe there isn't the funds to make another big splash.

I think Strum would beat Murray and GGG decapitates him. Bit of a no win situation so I can see why the decision is tough to make.  How much more GGG is offering over Strum would make the decision if it were mine.

BTW Murray is a poor opponent for GGG. It would be nothing more than a stay busy fight.  Come on GGG let's see some ambition.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:20 pm

GGG has time on his side..You are harsh on Murray..I thought he beat Sturm and Martinez..

He is a good win

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:22 pm

Strongback wrote:GGG  is a HBO star so it's not too surprising he can make a bigger offer.  Strum also just broke the bank to bring Barker to Germany so maybe there isn't the funds to make another big splash.

I think Strum would beat Murray and GGG decapitates him.  Bit of a no win situation so I can see why the decision is tough to make.  How much more GGG is offering over Strum would make the decision if it were mine.

BTW Murray is a poor opponent for GGG. It would be nothing more than a stay busy fight.  Come on GGG let's see some ambition.

Ambition? He's called for Martinez, who's otherwise engaged (DiBella has also poured cold water on it) and has made offers to Kirkland, Geale and now Murray. Sturm won't fight him (as detailed on another thread). Who else should he call out at middleweight? Marvin Hagler?

Last edited by hazharrison on Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:22 pm

Strongback wrote:GGG  is a HBO star so it's not too surprising he can make a bigger offer.  Strum also just broke the bank to bring Barker to Germany so maybe there isn't the funds to make another big splash.

I think Strum would beat Murray and GGG decapitates him.  Bit of a no win situation so I can see why the decision is tough to make.  How much more GGG is offering over Strum would make the decision if it were mine.

Not sure you can say Golovkin lacks ambition.

Sergio doesn't really want the fight.

Quillin is off the radar(bloody GBP/HBO feud).

Geale/Murray/Sturm is all that's out there for Golovkin.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:23 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:GGG has time on his side..You are harsh on Murray..I thought he beat Sturm and Martinez..

He is a good win
Murray didn't beat Sturm. Not in a million Sundays.

As for the Martinez fight. Sergio broken knee and hand, yet Murrat couldn't put him away.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:26 pm

Have a feeling Sergio quits after Cotto..

Monzon got out...on top.

His fellow hero..

He still half battrred Martinez..You sound like you have a downer on Murray

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:GGG has time on his side..You are harsh on Murray..I thought he beat Sturm and Martinez..

He is a good win

Strum stepped up his game and looked more like his own self against Barker. Even without the hip injury Barker was getting busted up.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Have a feeling Sergio quits after Cotto..

Monzon got out...on top.

His fellow hero..

He still half battrred Martinez..You sound like you have a downer on Murray
My wife is Argentine...she's a big fan of Sergio...

No downer on Murray at all.

Had Chavez Jr not damaged Sergio in their fight. Sergio would've boxed Murray's ears off.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:32 pm

hazharrison wrote:

Ambition? He's called for Martinez, who's otherwise engaged (DiBella has also poured cold water on it) and has made offers to Kirkland, Geale and now Murray. Sturm won't fight him (as detailed on another thread). Who else should he call out at middleweight? Marvin Hagler?

The middleweight division is very poor. There are much better fights at SMW or LHW. Sergio is an old man and ready to retire. The only reason GGG needs to fight him is because Sergio is PPV.

Ward will fight GGG. How old is Golovkin now? 32.

Golovkin is milking the Middleweight division because it is crap. Hardly legacy building or more importantly generating big PPV fights.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:32 pm

All aboard the Martinez excuse train.......choo choo!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:36 pm

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/sub-lead/golovkin-moves-ahead-in-2014

I find it fascinating the HBO mandate who Golovkin can fight (the job of a governing body). If HBO and Showtime would adopt the same set of independent rankings and agree to do business with each other a couple of times each year, we could forget the alphabets and boxing might start to make more sense to the general public.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:38 pm

Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

The middleweight division is very poor.  There are much better fights at SMW or LHW.  Sergio is an old man and ready to retire.  The only reason GGG needs to fight him is because Sergio is PPV.

Ward will fight GGG.  How old is Golovkin now? 32.  

Golovkin is milking the Middleweight division because it is crap.  Hardly legacy building or more importantly generating big PPV fights.

He's a middleweight. He wants to clean house before moving up -- perfectly understandable (Ward did exactly the same before meeting Dawson -- who he made come down to 168).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:39 pm

Ward is the guy who should be moving to light heavyweight, not Golovkin. He is a serial moaner who is hanging around trying to score an easy payday for a Froch rematch or Chavez instead of getting on with it. Everything has to move for Ward. Golovkin should come up, Dawson should come down. Kessler has to travel. Abraham has to travel. Ward doesnt have to leave the U.S. Go up to light heavyweight Ward for heavens sake and start actually doing something to secure a fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:43 pm

Reports are Cotto was offered $15 million to fight Martinez. Goldenboy reportedly offered Cotto $10 million to fight Alverez.

TripG isn't even PPV and won't be PPV knocking over much inferior fighters.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:44 pm

Ward's beaten top fighters...He is allowed to moan..

What have you got against top fighters ?

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:47 pm

Strongback wrote:Reports are Cotto was offered $15 million to fight Martinez. Goldenboy reportedly offered Cotto $10 million to fight Alverez.

He can't knock over superior fighters if he can't get them in the ring! HBO are still building him -- Martinez and Alvarez both have bigger fanbases (and can draw way bigger gates).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:49 pm

Martinez only gained stardom at the tail end of his career.

If he can get a few big paydays, why would he want to face Golovkin?

If the Sergio against Chavez Jr was still around, he'd box Golovkin's ears off...but it seems like that Sergio is done.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 20 Feb 2014, 4:06 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:Reports are Cotto was offered $15 million to fight Martinez. Goldenboy reportedly offered Cotto $10 million to fight Alverez.

He can't knock over superior fighters if he can't get them in the ring! HBO are still building him -- Martinez and Alvarez both have bigger fanbases (and can draw way bigger gates).

I post on an American board sometimes and the Yanks love GGG, he has created a big buzz. To back this up The Ring readers voted him their 2013 fighter of the year.

What I am getting at is GGG will earn a lot of money fighting an established quality opponent. Sergio isn't the only fighter out there. Are HBO going to build GGG until he's 35?

I don't know if it's a European mind set but Kovalev is also taking things very slowly. Kovalev has also made a big impact and a fight between himself and Golovkin would be a step in the right direction, a fight GGG would win IMO.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 4:07 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Ward's beaten top fighters...He is allowed to moan..

And he'll never go down as the great he could be because of this attitude.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 4:09 pm

Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

I don't know if it's a European mind set but Kovalev is also taking things very slowly.  Kovalev has also made a big impact and a fight between himself and Golovkin would be a step in the right direction, a fight GGG would win IMO.

You'd back GGG to beat Kovalev??! At what weight?!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 4:41 pm

Ward is nailed on great...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 4:43 pm

Ward beat 3 future world champs and the number 1 175 pounder..

What a terrible attitude

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 20 Feb 2014, 4:50 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

I don't know if it's a European mind set but Kovalev is also taking things very slowly.  Kovalev has also made a big impact and a fight between himself and Golovkin would be a step in the right direction, a fight GGG would win IMO.

175lbs. The men know each other well having sparred together in the past.

Its a much more winnable fight than trying to take on Floyd at 154lbs.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 4:54 pm

Kovalev punches too hard...

No way a good but not elusive GGG beats him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 20 Feb 2014, 4:56 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Kovalev punches too hard...

No way a good but not elusive GGG beats him..

Kovalev has power but isn't all that, he's crude and has a suspect tank.

Read up on GGG's sparring sessions with Kovalev.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 4:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Ward beat 3 future world champs and the number 1 175 pounder..

What a terrible attitude

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Ward is nailed on great...

No, he's not. Unless we're back in your 'lower reaches of ATG' definition territory, which pretty much covers anyone who's won a title.

IF he cleaned up LHW as well as SMW, and actually sought out challenges rather than letting them come to him, then he'd have a good shout at Top30 ATG, may even be an argument for Top20.

Beat Froch, again, plus an young hotshot (e.g. Groves) then move up and rematch Dawson at his proper weight, followed by neutralising bangers Kov & Stevenson and out mastering the old master Hoppo - THEN he'd be an ATG.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 5:00 pm

Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

175lbs.  The men know each other well having sparred together in the past.

A natural, and extremely hard hitting, 175lber versus a 160lber who doesn't exactly need to boil down to the weight.  GGG has barely a chance at 175lbs, 168 would be interesting but that's it.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 20 Feb 2014, 5:10 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

175lbs.  The men know each other well having sparred together in the past.

A natural, and extremely hard hitting, 175lber versus a 160lber who doesn't exactly need to boil down to the weight.  GGG has barely a chance at 175lbs, 168 would be interesting but that's it.

So a potentially great middleweight can no longer fight a good but limited LHW.

Who's protecting GGG now?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 5:25 pm

Strongy...He's not beaten anybody at 160 yet and you've already got him trashing 175 pounders..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 20 Feb 2014, 5:35 pm

Golovkin needs the door opening fight against Martinez. Thats his ticket. Its the fight that makes sense. He shouldnt have to leave the division because the champion wont face him. Cotto is Martinez pension plan fight. He should make good money out of it. After that he might pack it in unless enough money can be stumped up for him to fight Golovkin. I wouldnt be surprised if retired after.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 5:47 pm

I still think Cotto is the final big cheque for Sergio...

Bet he does a Monzon..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next