The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Detective

+13
bluestonevedder
jimbohammers
tomfinneywalksonwater
Galted
incontinentia
XR
liverbnz
TopHat24/7
JDizzle
compelling and rich
Brys
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

True Detective Empty True Detective

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Feb 2014, 1:58 pm

This started on Sky Atlantic on Saturday night.

The premise is a trusted one, two mismatched cops, played by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, with damaged private lives, are thrust together without much choice. Nothing new there, but I thought the first episode was really, really promising. It is quite dark and menacing and looks like it will carry on in this vein. The story is relayed by the detectives 17 years after the first murder is uncovered. They have obviously led very different lives over the 17 years and I think the show will be as much about what has happened to them as is will be about the murder investigations. I don't generally watch 'cop' shows but this one (much like The Bridge) looks to have something a bit special about it especially with the two main characters.

It is pretty unusual to have two A-listers in a show like this but they are both excellent. Matthew McConaughey, in particular, was pretty brilliant straight away. His character clearly has more depth than Harrelson's but they are both superb.

Did anyone see it?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

True Detective Empty Re: True Detective

Post by Guest Mon 24 Feb 2014, 2:02 pm

It's on my list of things to watch but with wife expecting our second child and the resulting mood swings, it's difficult to convince her that perhaps we shouldn't watch "The Voice" on Saturday evening and settle down to watch something a tad more challenging instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 24 Feb 2014, 2:06 pm

I did watch it Tina and enjoyed it a lot. Both the leads were excellent and whilst the first episode did not really give too much away for some reason it gripped from the off. One thing I do like about the show is I have read that they are only making 8 episodes, no second series, no ridiculous excuse to carry on if it is successful. Believe the writers, director and two leads have all agreed to this.

Personally I love this, if it is true, hate shows that outstay their welcome or drag out their reveal too long.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Feb 2014, 2:08 pm

For the love of God, Dave. My wife is 8 1/2 months pregnant, yet I still watched it.

Just set some ground rules and stop being wet. I expect better from you.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 24 Feb 2014, 2:11 pm

In all fairness Tina, your wife is always 8 and half months pregnant.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Feb 2014, 2:12 pm

Rowley wrote:I did watch it Tina and enjoyed it a lot. Both the leads were excellent and whilst the first episode did not really give too much away for some reason it gripped from the off. One thing I do like about the show is I have read that they are only making 8 episodes, no second series, no ridiculous excuse to carry on if it is successful. Believe the writers, director and two leads have all agreed to this.

Well that is refreshing, Jeff. I didn't know that.

I just read your review of Dallas Buyers Club, and noticed you mentioned how good McConaughey was. I instantly bought into his performance in True Detective. He is in some good form at the moment.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Feb 2014, 2:12 pm

Rowley wrote:In all fairness Tina, your wife is always 8 and half months pregnant.

Laugh  Laugh 

It feels like that, Jeff. This is the last time though!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 24 Feb 2014, 2:16 pm

This story is a one-off for the writer, director and cast; no matter what, Cohle and Hart aren’t coming back after episode eight. Anything could happen.

From a Guardian review of the show. Here's hoping they stick to their word.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Feb 2014, 3:44 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:For the love of God, Dave.  My wife is 8 1/2 months pregnant, yet I still watched it.

Just set some ground rules and stop being wet.  I expect better from you.
Aren't you the guy who gets his ass kicked by his kids?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Feb 2014, 3:47 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:For the love of God, Dave.  My wife is 8 1/2 months pregnant, yet I still watched it.

Just set some ground rules and stop being wet.  I expect better from you.
Aren't you the guy who gets his ass kicked by his kids?

Fair point.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 24 Feb 2014, 3:58 pm

Look it was a premature stoppage, everyone knows that. Think it is telling the kid has not agreed to a rematch yet. He knows he got lucky.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Feb 2014, 4:05 pm

Rowley wrote:Look it was a premature stoppage, everyone knows that. Think it is telling the kid has not agreed to a rematch yet. He knows he got lucky.

Damn right, Jeff.

It made Froch v Groves look perfectly legit. At least Carl has the balls to offer a rematch.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Brys Mon 24 Feb 2014, 4:41 pm

The plan was to make multiple seasons if it was successful, which it has been. They will change the story and the cast each season but hopefully the quality of story and performances will stay the same Smile

Brys

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 24 Feb 2014, 5:02 pm

Cheers Brys, did not know that. Still happy though, like the idea you can watch one short series and it is done and dusted. Get ridiculously wound up with series where it is blatantly obvious they are just dragging things out as the success was more than they expected.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 24 Feb 2014, 6:59 pm

caught up on the first episode today, looks like its going to be good

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Mar 2014, 9:29 pm

Just got round to this, good solid start. Not to much action but slowly building into a potentially great series. Love the dynamic between Woody & Matthew M - interesting characters.

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 02 Mar 2014, 8:40 pm

Really, really good. Just got to the end of episode 6, and whilst it is a slow burner the atmosphere it creates keeps you hooked throughout. Matthew M and Harrelson are ace.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 03 Mar 2014, 8:15 am

I thought episode 2 was as promising as the opener. Although not much has happened yet, as others have already mentioned, the atmosphere is pretty electric and you just know something sinister is bubbling away. I am hugely optimistic about the rest of this series if the the first two episodes are anything to go by.

Again, supreme performances by the main characters, and I bet Woody's eyes lit up when he read the script for episode two. You lucky, lucky man!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:35 am

Was going to start a thread on this but you beat me to it!

Had heard some great early reviews, promises of it being on the level or the Wire etc, however whilst the first episode was good and interesting (and very dark!) it didn't pique my excitement until the very last line - delivered by MM, who looks like he's going to be brilliant in this (big turnaround for him in recent years), being otherwise quite a slow-burner.

Big fan of Woody H too, can see him being excellent.

Got episode 2 recorded, to watch tonight. Looking forward to it!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:41 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:it didn't pique my excitement until the very last line - delivered by MM

"You need to start asking the right f*cking questions then".

Loved that end to episode 1 and you're right, MM is superb in this. Jeff reckons he was excellent in Dallas Buyers Club as well. Obviously so did the Academy!

I was worried about seeing two massive film actors in a TV role but they are both brilliant. Totally convincing.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:54 am

It was SUCH a good line. A real lesson in how powerful timing and simplicity can be. Doesn't have to be some kind of Lost-esque obvious cliff-hanger.

If it weren't for that moment it would have been a bit of an effort to bring myself to watch the second episode.

MM is an interesting one, there was a good interview with him recently, basically him saying he'd gotten bored with his career being based on how often he could take he shirt off and flex his abs. Can't remember what he said was the turning point but he basically decided to switch to focussing on the quality of the role rather than his looks - and with Dallas Buyers Club and True Detective the early results seem pretty good. Who'd have thought there was a genuine top-drawer actor hidden under those A&F looks!!

Got to remember Woody made his name on TV, so not hard to think he could turn his hand back to it. Though there was an interesting little factoid from his interview in the Metro the other week regarding his role that launched his film career - White Men Can't Jump (love the film).

His part was meant to be played by Keanu Reeves, but unfortunately his basketball is worse than his acting so it went to Woody instead. How BAD would that film have been with Keanu in the lead?!!?!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:41 pm

Watched the second episode last night and enjoyed it yet again. At the risk of sounding too arty about this the cinematography of the show is stunning, the views and the landscapes really add to the feel and atmosphere of the piece. Normally have no tolerance for these things where it is not apparent what is happening, not because I am stupid, but because just think as a plot device it has been done to death, however as this is one series and is only eight episodes it does not bother me.

Only two episodes in but this has already become unmissable for me. The music is also brilliant, fits the mood of the show to perfection.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:50 pm

Rowley wrote:Watched the second episode last night and enjoyed it yet again. At the risk of sounding too arty about this the cinematography of the show is stunning, the views and the landscapes really add to the feel and atmosphere of the piece. Normally have no tolerance for these things where it is not apparent what is happening, not because I am stupid, but because just think as a plot device it has been done to death, however as this is one series and is only eight episodes it does not bother me.

Only two episodes in but this has already become unmissable for me. The music is also brilliant, fits the mood of the show to perfection.

Agree about the cinematography and music, Jeff. Even the music over the opening credits seems to fit the mood of the show perfectly.

I very rarely get excited about the whole 'cop' genre but this one is, as you say, unmissable.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:59 pm

Have reached episode 7 and it continues to keep me hooked. The music is superb, I don't normally pay attention to these things (much more interested in explosions and fights) but as mentioned, the introduction music is perfect and the Louisianna countryside fits the whole vibe of the show perfectly.

The interrogation scenes have been the best part of the series so far for me and without wanting to give too much away, it is poorer for when they end. Also, wasn't convinced by the reveal at the end of Ep. 7, but they seem to have kept the powder dry for the final episode as they don't have to worry about bringing the characters back like most series do. Promises to be sensational and these criticisms are only minor things, is still great TV.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:38 pm

This is definitely on my list of things to check out and I've got six episodes downloaded but with House of Cards, Walking Dead and Blacklist already up and running I'm wondering when I'll get time. May even try and fit one in this evening so as not to appear a real "Johnny come lately"

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:44 pm

watched second episode of this yesterday, agree with pretty much everybody elses comments

just finished house of cards dave, cracking show. started lillyhammer which so far seems good if a little more light hearted than some of the other shows ive been watching recently (which isn't particularly hard when its the likes of true detective, house of cards and walking dead)

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 9:39 am

watched the second episode yesterday too, after too many pancakes........by god that Woody scene woke me up though.

Fooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook that girl is smoking hot, absolute perfection, hoping for more of the same.......... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 10 Mar 2014, 8:21 am

Another exceptionally strong episode on Saturday night.

The cracks are showing in the relationship between WH and MM and I loved that conversation when WH was angry at MM for mowing his lawn. It was laced with black humour and innuendo. The fact that both WH and MM played it 'straight' made it all the more funny. Brilliant writing.

And that ending! Freaky beyond words and the way the scene was frozen just for a few seconds made it even more sinister.

Great stuff.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 10 Mar 2014, 8:33 am

Agree with Tino above the third episode was excellent and it's building nicely. The ending was just pure creepiness although I think it might not end up being as creepy as it led us to believe.

I really like how the writers have geared you to warm to MM's character despite being a bit strange and emotionless, while the 'straight up' family man that WH plays is not really all that likeable.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 9:19 am

Agree with both Tino and Liverbnz comments.

Enjoying it so far, still a little slow and requires patience, but you can tell you're watching something very good indeed.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 11 Mar 2014, 8:35 am

I've downloaded the first 2 episodes and recorded the 3rd last night, definitely something i want to watch.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 11 Mar 2014, 4:04 pm

Watched the finale last night. Won't give anything away, but is very good. You're in for a treat.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Mar 2014, 12:50 pm

Watched the first episode last night...it's good but I'm not getting carried away.

If anyone's watched the first season of "Hannibal" they'll notice the similarities between the staging of the murder scene in True Dectective and the fact that Matthew McConnaghey basically plays the same type of character as Will Graham.

Of course I'll crack on with it but it's got a lot of work to do to reel me in....make me want you, True Detective.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm

Finished it last night....can't really say I loved it but it was OK. MM's spacey hippy freak out stuff began to get tedious after a while and the ending was a bit "meh"

Watched better stuff and looking forward to getting back to House of Cards, Blacklist and Hannibal now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 19 Mar 2014, 5:40 pm

I am still with Tina on this, brilliant show so far, the 10 minute single shot in the projects that closed episode 4 was stunning both technically and in terms of tension. Who would have thought the bloke out of Sahara was such a good bleeding actor. As top hat rightly says the show requires some patience but the quality of the writing and the acting more than justifies the effort for me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 08 Aug 2014, 9:03 pm

Rowley wrote: One thing I do like about the show is I have read that they are only making 8 episodes, no second series, no ridiculous excuse to carry on if it is successful. Believe the writers, director and two leads have all agreed to this.
Don't know where you read that, but there is going to be a second series.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Aug 2014, 9:25 pm

yeah there is, think what Rowley might mean is although there may be a second season it doesn't carry on, neither Harrelson or McConaughy are in it. Its an all new cast in a different part of the country

Rumours have linked Brad Pitt to it although nothing has been confirmed and the casting rumour mill has been rife ever since it was announced

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat 09 Aug 2014, 8:34 pm

Watched the series recently in the space of a few days and was disappointed.  The acting was a bit over the top and I thought that the case would be more Seven and less Twin Peaks and its unravelling a bit cleverer and more logical.  It's not bad but wasn't really what I was hoping for or expecting.  The dialogue wasn't particularly realistic either, unless everyone from the south is a philosopher and psychologist. The best I've seen from the genre was the first series of Forbrydelsen/The Killing, even if the final episode was a total abortion.

Last edited by Galted on Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to mention that the dialogue wasn't particularly realistic either, unless everyone from the south is a philosopher and psychologist, what a prize chump!)

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 13 Aug 2014, 3:59 pm

Galted wrote:Watched the series recently in the space of a few days and was disappointed.  The acting was a bit over the top and I thought that the case would be more Seven and less Twin Peaks and its unravelling a bit cleverer and more logical.  It's not bad but wasn't really what I was hoping for or expecting.  The dialogue wasn't particularly realistic either, unless everyone from the south is a philosopher and psychologist.  The best I've seen from the genre was the first series of Forbrydelsen/The Killing, even if the final episode was a total abortion.
I've just finished episode 4 and am excited for the appearance of Reggie Ledoux! Cohle's low monotone voice is an irritation at times, and it's hard to make out what they're saying too (I had to put subtitles on to know what the guy in prison was talking about!) but other than these minor issues its a pretty good show so far.

Do you think the dialogue is a bit pretentious galted?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 13 Aug 2014, 6:52 pm

Not sure I'd call it pretentious, incontinentia, just seemed forced quite often as though the writer(s) couldn't be arsed to allow conversations to develop.  Writers (especially of novels) often make the mistake of having characters speak in monologues rather than a naturally progressing conversation and of having the character deliver the story's narrative - the wife was the worst culprit when it came to this, giving information on other characters to make up for the inability or reluctance of the writer or director to deliver this information in a more subtle way.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by tomfinneywalksonwater Sat 16 Aug 2014, 10:39 pm

Imdb has listed Colin Farrell as confirmed for the second series.

tomfinneywalksonwater

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 01 Sep 2014, 11:08 am

Just finished this series, thought it was fantastic. Very dark though, the last episode especially, very chilling.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 08 Sep 2014, 8:59 am

Watched the season one finale over the weekend. One of the best shows I've seen in a while, pretty happy with how it finished up too.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Sep 2014, 8:27 am

Yeah, great series.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Sep 2014, 8:56 pm

Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughan confirmed for Season 2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 24 Sep 2014, 8:39 am

Tragic

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 24 Sep 2014, 10:30 am

Wow. 

Certainly a curve-ball casting.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 24 Sep 2014, 11:29 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Tragic
we might be surprised
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 24 Sep 2014, 11:36 am

Doubt it.

Seen enough of Farrell to know he can't act much and VV is a great comic actor but that's where his skill lies, cannot see him for drama.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed 24 Sep 2014, 2:06 pm

The exact same was probably thought of the actors in the first series and look how that turned out.

Give it a chance.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next