The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legendary fights - Chavez vs Taylor 1

+5
ShahenshahG
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
John Bloody Wayne
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
9 posters

Go down

Legendary fights - Chavez vs Taylor 1 Empty Legendary fights - Chavez vs Taylor 1

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:19 am

Ola peeps,

As mentioned last week, we are looking at legendary fights and discussing how we find them looking again presently.

Mosley vs De La Hoya 1 was the topic on this weeks podcast so be sure to download to hear what was said.

Next week will be Chavez vs Taylor 1 so please give your thoughts, scores etc and we will debate out all the points given.

Cheers

Dee
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Legendary fights - Chavez vs Taylor 1 Empty Re: Legendary fights - Chavez vs Taylor 1

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:19 am

I once covered myself in beans and swung from a chandelier to win the affection of my co workers. It was raging success. My father, however, disowned me shortly thereafter.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Legendary fights - Chavez vs Taylor 1 Empty Re: Legendary fights - Chavez vs Taylor 1

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:53 pm

117-110 Taylor.....Great win

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:29 am

You're thinking of Taylor against Aaron Davis there, Truss!

Whistle 

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:43 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I once covered myself in beans and swung from a chandelier to win the affection of my co workers. It was raging success. My father, however, disowned me shortly thereafter.

Was it a family business?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:46 am

Think Tayor won all but the last 3 - I agree with the stoppage but still bad luck - its one of those which fall between the cracks.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:48 am

Greatest moment of Chavez's career, despite the fact that he'd struggled so much in the fight?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:53 am

I think so, the circumstances and the brutal performance - plus skill of opponent all combine to put it up there at the top

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:03 am

It stunk...Taylor was robbed

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:04 am

Only because he's the american in the equation.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:05 am

Looking like a quality debate so far dee.

I didn't keep a card but had Taylor well ahead. I've always been in two minds re the stoppage.

Points of possible interest:
1. Duva and Benton telling Taylor he needed the last round, rather than telling him to get on his bike? Understandable fear of Vegas judges? Or just plain stupid given the state of the fight?  Could taylor at that stage have got on his bike and survived? Given he was only seconds from surviving anyway, I'd say probably. Is the result down to duva/Benton?  Taylor thinks so but then he would.

2. Steele? King house ref and conveniently inconsistent in his handling of stoppages? or an honest guy calling it as he sees it?

3. What's 'ready to continue'? Does a fighter getting distracted by his corner warrant an extra 'you ok?'. Is there a difference between being fit to survive another 2 rounds v another 2 seconds? Should the state of the fight and the amount of time left in the fight and/or the round come onto play?

4. Comparison with the recent spate of soft stoppages and say the  coyle stoppage at the weekend?

Last edited by milkyboy on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:22 am

Hearns got plenty of time against Barkley...

Where as Ruddock was stopped early..against Tyson

Two fights where the house fighter was given every advantage

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:24 am

Duva complained about the appointment before the fight as Lawless did with Bruno - Tyson

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:09 am

Firstly, a wonderful fight – one of the best of the nineties. Taylor was well ahead, however, while he’d been landing more punches, Chavez had been deliberately breaking him down.

The instructions from the corner – to stay close to Chavez – were spot on. Duva and Benton knew Chavez had built a head of steam and if Taylor stood off him, he’d play into the Mexican’s hands. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happened. Taylor stood off Chavez, bolt upright and was clocked by a right hand that precipitated his demise.

I think Steele has been hard done to with regard to the stoppage; Taylor wasn’t fit to continue, regardless of how long was left in the round (which Steele wasn’t necessarily aware of, despite the 10 second buzzer).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:33 am

When commenting on Hearns v Barkley after letting a dead Tommy continue...He said a champion deserves every chance to continue..

Taylor was IBF champ..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:08 am

hazharrison wrote:Firstly, a wonderful fight – one of the best of the nineties. Taylor was well ahead, however, while he’d been landing more punches, Chavez had been deliberately breaking him down.

The instructions from the corner – to stay close to Chavez – were spot on. Duva and Benton knew Chavez had built a head of steam and if Taylor stood off him, he’d play into the Mexican’s hands. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happened. Taylor stood off Chavez, bolt upright and was clocked by a right hand that precipitated his demise.

I think Steele has been hard done to with regard to the stoppage; Taylor wasn’t fit to continue, regardless of how long was left in the round (which Steele wasn’t necessarily aware of, despite the 10 second buzzer).

Interesting perspective haz. You've seen the 'legendary nights' vid on the fight? Where duva says he was telling him to run... That they intermixed with the footage that has the corner telling him he needs the last round.

As for staying off chavez, he was trying to still take the fight to him, even if he was stationary for the punch that set up the finish.

As master plans go, chavez' cut it pretty fine. With 30 seconds left it still wasn't looking likely.. Great win but like froch Taylor, a great win that needed a bit of luck/compliance from other parties.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:50 am

ShahenshahG wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:I once covered myself in beans and swung from a chandelier to win the affection of my co workers. It was raging success. My father, however, disowned me shortly thereafter.

Was it a family business?

Don't be facetious.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:19 am

Circumstance has created the controversy, absolutely nothing wrong with the stoppage as far as i'm concerned, Steele got it spot on.

Certain quarters want to take the victory away from Chavez for no other reason than nationalistic pride and from that a whole manner of excuses and crackpot theories have arisen. 

These things have to be looked at in isolation

Was Taylor hurt? Yes
Was in a condition to continue? No

Aside from those two questions very little else matters, not Steele, not the 10 second light and not Duvas pre round instruction or him distracting Taylor. It was a fight fought over 12 rounds, for the first ten rounds Taylor was majestic, the handspeed on display makes everyone around today look slow. There in lies the problem though he couldn't sustain it for a full twelve rounds, was he robbed of victory? No he wasn't because when it came down to it he wasn't good enough, only by a very small margin but win or lose, Chavez had violently violated his body, the true definition of a quiet beating.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:21 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Circumstance has created the controversy, absolutely nothing wrong with the stoppage as far as i'm concerned, Steele got it spot on.

Certain quarters want to take the victory away from Chavez for no other reason than nationalistic pride and from that a whole manner of excuses and crackpot theories have arisen. 

These things have to be looked at in isolation

Was Taylor hurt? Yes
Was in a condition to continue? No

Aside from those two questions very little else matters, not Steele, not the 10 second light and not Duvas pre round instruction or him distracting Taylor. It was a fight fought over 12 rounds, for the first ten rounds Taylor was majestic, the handspeed on display makes everyone around today look slow. There in lies the problem though he couldn't sustain it for a full twelve rounds, was he robbed of victory? No he wasn't because when it came down to it he wasn't good enough, only by a very small margin but win or lose, Chavez had violently violated his body, the true definition of a quiet beating.

Yes he was hurt but he was on his feet.

Still the damage ws done and I am not bothered either way.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:12 am

There you guys, should be a short podcast. Just check boxrec for the result of Chavez Taylor and move on. Nothing worth discussing.

Next week's legendary fight. Leonard hagler. Leonard sd12. No discussion.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:57 pm

milkyboy wrote:
hazharrison wrote:Firstly, a wonderful fight – one of the best of the nineties. Taylor was well ahead, however, while he’d been landing more punches, Chavez had been deliberately breaking him down.

Interesting perspective haz. You've seen the 'legendary nights' vid on the fight? Where duva says he was telling him to run... That they intermixed with the footage that has the corner telling him he needs the last round.

As for staying off chavez, he was trying to still take the fight to him, even if he was stationary for the punch that set up the finish.

As master plans go, chavez' cut it pretty fine. With 30 seconds left it still wasn't looking likely.. Great win but like froch Taylor, a great win that needed a bit of luck/compliance from other parties.

Not sure there was any master plan Milky, Chavez was just doing all he knew after being almost shut out early on. He didn't really even up his tempo - just kept methodically picking Meldrick apart.

I guess had the fight been scheduled for 15 there'd have been no controversy. Taylor was beaten to a pulp at the time of the finish and ruined as a fighter forever more.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down