The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women in boxing

+3
Mayweathers cellmate
kingraf
spencerclarke
7 posters

Go down

Women in boxing Empty Women in boxing

Post by spencerclarke Sun 02 Mar 2014, 6:31 pm

Evening all,

Following on from the women’s fight on the German fight card last night I began to wonder why women are still really a taboo in the sport? Women and boxing seems to spring a list of lazy stereotypes and they are generally dismissed.

The boxers involved were Christina Hammer vs Jessica Balugan in a fight that went the distance and no doubt many dismissed the fight as pointless. Hammer won the fight by a shutout UD and takes her record to 17(8)-0-0, whilst her opponent moves on to a record of 23(11)-3-0.

I watched a fair few of the female fight in the Olympics and on the whole was pleasantly surprised with the quality of fights. Nicola Adams and Katie Taylor were both a breath of fresh air and in my eyes given the opportunity would be a great addition to the paid ranks.

Two notable women in professional boxing today with a fair degree of success are Ann Wolfe and Jackie Kallen. Ann Wolfe is a former 2 weight world champion that now trains the highly regarded James Kirkland. Jackie Kallen is the first ever female boxing manager that has worked in the past with Tommy Hearns and James Toney as well as working as a consultant on reality tv show The Contender. Whilst these two have made big inroads into the sport opportunities in general for women seem limited and the gender in general are looked down upon. Even as a comical part of the sport that some feel have no place.

More women seem to be attending boxing cards than I’ve ever noticed before and by all accounts more girls are taking up the sport from an early age so interest does appear to be increasing. As it’s a growing sport it does mean that there are often mismatches and opponents are sometimes hard to come by at the top level which can lead to inactivity. But this is a relatively young sport (in popularity) in comparison to the male version so time needs to be given.

As far as I am aware we do not have any female contributors to the boxing forum despite most of the other boards having female users. God knows with the amount of testosterone flying around the boxing forum of late we could do with the odd female around at times. Maybe it’s time to embrace and encourage women in to the sport of boxing.

Cheers.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Women in boxing Empty Re: Women in boxing

Post by kingraf Sun 02 Mar 2014, 6:39 pm

Don't know why... but there are more female MMA practitioners at my gym than boxers... Probably a consequence of there being more female MMA fans than female boxing fans. I suppose boxing sorta enshrined itself as a boy's club sort sport early on, and its never quite opened the doors. Also, without wishing to sound sexist - boxing really isnt the averaget women's idea of a good time . Its just a tough sell for a female sport
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 02 Mar 2014, 6:45 pm

Mate thats probably the least sexist comment that will appear on this thread!

Hadn't thought of MMA. Interesting take on things. I see what you mean but I think there is an opportunity with the next generation. A lot of other contact sports are well participated by females. However most of those have minimal head contact so that could be one reason. I do believe a trick may have been missed as there was a lot of interest around female boxing after the Olympics but this seems to have waned.

Appreciate your thoughts kingraf.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Sun 02 Mar 2014, 7:27 pm

There are plenty of girls in boxing already, and I'm all for it.

http://www.boxnews.com.ua/photos/539/51970_a635e53d7e_o.jpg

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 02 Mar 2014, 7:55 pm

Hummina Hummina HUMMINA PAOW RIGHT IN THE KISSER!!

Cheers MC, ya just gave me something to save me from boredom tonight (whistles...) haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 02 Mar 2014, 8:08 pm

I like Ann Wolf as a trainer.

She has done good work with James Kirkland but it is said she is very millitent in her training methods.

That being said she is very interesting to listen to in the corner and very funny.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 02 Mar 2014, 8:10 pm

Yeah onetwo there have been a few decent articles on her in boxing news in the last year.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 02 Mar 2014, 9:31 pm

Are you sure we don't have female contributors on the board?

There are regular signs of pmt.

We have an Alex that worked in HR.

Rowley has admitted to having breasts

We have a poster called 3fingers

On reflection ,You're probably right, spencer. Misogynistic posts like this probably keep them away

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 02 Mar 2014, 10:32 pm

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:There are plenty of girls in boxing already, and I'm all for it.

http://www.boxnews.com.ua/photos/539/51970_a635e53d7e_o.jpg

How many are sporting plastic lamps?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 03 Mar 2014, 12:55 pm

milkyboy wrote:Are you sure we don't have female contributors on the board?

There are regular signs of pmt.

We have an Alex that worked in HR.

Rowley has admitted to having breasts

We have a poster called 3fingers

On reflection ,You're probably right, spencer. Misogynistic posts like this probably keep them away

I wondered how long before Alex was pushed to the forefront of this thread!

I know a couple of women that are fairly up to speed with their boxing. Better than the average man on the street. Not sure if they are up to the point yet of adding much to these boards but then most of us on here aren't either!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 03 Mar 2014, 1:02 pm

Indeed!

On other forums I occasionally frequent that have female posters, the amount of bucket-reaching attempted flirting that goes on, is desperate. Just imagine on here, truss and strongy discussing their bench pressing.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 03 Mar 2014, 7:10 pm

Haha yeah you have a point! Not sure the board could handle that.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down