The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Italians sign up to Pro 12 with two professional teams for next 4 years.

+19
JayMaster3000
LeinsterFan4life
QuickBall
GunsGerms
beshocked
Irish Londoner
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RDW
alive555
VinceWLB
Allty
Standulstermen
21st Century Schizoid Man
Notch
profitius
Nematode
quinsforever
Sin é
Artful_Dodger
23 posters

Go down

Italians sign up to Pro 12 with two professional teams for next 4 years. Empty Italians sign up to Pro 12 with two professional teams for next 4 years.

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 06 Mar 2014, 6:06 pm

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/14424.php

Celtic Unions have agreed that Italy will now be an equal partner in the Pro12. Means we still have 2 Italian teams and means that the Italians aren't now being take advantage of, great news all round.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Italians sign up to Pro 12 with two professional teams for next 4 years. Empty Re: Italians sign up to Pro 12 with two professional teams for next 4 years.

Post by Sin é Thu 06 Mar 2014, 6:14 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/14424.php

Celtic Unions have agreed that Italy will now be an equal partner in the Pro12. Means we still have 2 Italian teams and means that the Italians aren't now being take advantage of, great news all round.

They are also working on creating a new franchise based close to Venice.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Italians sign up to Pro 12 with two professional teams for next 4 years. Empty Re: Italians sign up to Pro 12 with two professional teams for next 4 years.

Post by quinsforever Thu 06 Mar 2014, 6:47 pm

it says "equal partners" in the press release.

does that mean the italian clubs dont have to pay EUR3m per team any more?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Mar 2014, 7:03 pm

quinsforever wrote:it says "equal partners" in the press release.

does that mean the italian clubs dont have to pay EUR3m per team any more?

It doesn't state as much, but I would think so, quins.

Great news. I enjoy our games against the Italian teams, and always felt it a bit unfair that they had to pay for their continued participation in the Rabo.

No doubting that Rabo has been good for the Italian national team, so good news all round, methinks.

Edit: Was it 3m Euro per team? I always thought it was for both.

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 06 Mar 2014, 7:31 pm

may have been for both. cant remember. i think the principle of equal partnership is important though i agree.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 06 Mar 2014, 7:33 pm

Great to keep the Italian teams in - Treviso are getting petter each season which is great for European rugby.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 06 Mar 2014, 7:44 pm

Good for the league. They were always likely to resign but its good to have things signed on the dotted line.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 06 Mar 2014, 7:54 pm

Good, good. Its another sign that things are resolved regarding Europe and will settle the question for sponsors.

That said, I desperately hope they work out a way to improve the standard of their teams as Treviso are in free fall and Zebre are making no progress.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Mar 2014, 7:57 pm

Nematode wrote:Great to keep the Italian teams in - Treviso are getting petter each season which is great for European rugby.

Not so sure Treviso is going to remain in Rabo. I had heard that Treviso were opting out, and being replaced with a Province closer to Rome.

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 06 Mar 2014, 8:00 pm

profitius wrote:Good for the league. They were always likely to resign but its good to have things signed on the dotted line.
to hyphenate, or not to hyphenate, that is the question...Smile

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 06 Mar 2014, 8:11 pm

Has the League got a sponsor yet ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 06 Mar 2014, 8:31 pm

Zebre have made big strides. They have 3 wins this season and are unfortunate to be at the bottom of the pile. Treviso is in free fall at present with bigger clubs set to pick their bones if you believe the reports. Hopefully the 3m is reinvested in another team that can become competitive

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Thu 06 Mar 2014, 9:27 pm

Good news for all.

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Thu 06 Mar 2014, 9:27 pm

PS Other than the Cardiff Blues Very Happy 

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:08 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Nematode wrote:Great to keep the Italian teams in - Treviso are getting petter each season which is great for European rugby.

Not so sure Treviso is going to remain in Rabo. I had heard that Treviso were opting out, and being replaced with a Province closer to Rome.

No, its one close to Venice called Dogi.

From google translate:

RUGBY RaboDirect PRO12 The Doges and the Zebras will not have to shell out a euro for participation in the Celtic next season . The agreement will be signed in the coming days
Participation is free , there is ok

Tuesday the meeting between President Gavazzi and federations Celtic on Wednesday the clarification meeting with Veneto (see article) , Thursday announcement . From 1 July 2014, the Fir enters as an equal partner in the tournament , so the two Italian franchises will not pay the expensive fee parteciapazione

London - "We found the maximum willingness on the part of other Federations - said the president of the Fir, Alfredo Gavazzi ( photo) - and we are pleased with the final outcome of the negotiation. I want to thank the CEO of Celtic Rugby John Feehan and colleagues presidents of other federations to have understood and accepted our requests . " After the agreement with the Venetian front for the creation of a territorial franchise , came the go-ahead for the participation Celtic for free and without the ballast of over 3 million euro that the Fir was forced to pay . the meeting was held on Tuesday in London between the leaders of the Fir and other Federations ( IRFU , Wru , SRU ) of Celtic Rugby .

During the meeting , held in the name of maximum cooperation were discussed all the issues and it was agreed to the entry of Fir as an equal partner in Celtic Rugby from 1 July 2014.
Feds believe they have defined and solved all the points for the full participation of two Italian teams . For the next four years , Fir ensure the participation of two Italian teams in the RaboDirect PRO12 competition is now called .
The Memorandum of Understanding between Fir and other federations will be officially signed in the next period .

" I've always been a supporter of the Italian participation in an international tournament that I think capital for the growth of high-level Italian rugby - added Gavazzi - and I believe that with this new agreement , our movement will move further progress , with benefits in the short , medium and long term for rugby in our country. "
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:33 pm

Thanks, Sin e. I did hear Rome, but obviously it appears Venice is accurate. Probably get stuck with the Dogs. Not bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 07 Mar 2014, 3:49 am

I think there are good players in the Eccellenza here and there, if they can get the best out of it and considering Treviso's free fall it can't be a bad team that a new team is created.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Fri 07 Mar 2014, 6:40 am

all goes tho show you need partners to progress . not greed. cue ERU

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 07 Mar 2014, 8:07 am

Great news indeed, especially with the Euro comp still not making progress, but I think the Italians really need to stick with 2 professional teams and go with them. First Airioni then Zebre and now rumours of another new team - they are never going to build as a team and a club if they keep changing.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri 07 Mar 2014, 8:28 am

Allty wrote:PS   Other than the Cardiff Blues Very Happy 

laughing thumbsup 

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 07 Mar 2014, 8:42 am

Odd, I expected to hear from Chunky Norwich celebrating the good news - here ye go, son  Bubbly

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Fri 07 Mar 2014, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Fri 07 Mar 2014, 9:45 am

Venice for an away trip - sounds good but won't there be problems with waterlogged pitches  drumroll 

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 07 Mar 2014, 10:58 am

What does this mean for Treviso?

It's odd because both Venice and Treviso are in the Veneto region. It would be a shame if they set up a Venetian side and they cannot face Treviso. Or does this mean that Treviso will be gone as a club?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 07 Mar 2014, 11:27 am

We should have known something was wrong with Treviso for this season, unlike last season when they faced Saracens and Wasps they faced 2 Eccellenza teams in friendly and they didn't sign anyone to strenghten their small (38 players) squad. Franco Smith departure isn't a surprise in this light.

beshocked, talk is Benetton will step down from full time pro rugby and joins the Eccellenza.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Mar 2014, 11:42 am

Does that mean an Italian side will still get one of the proposed automatic four HC qualifying places even though they may finish in the lower half of the league and other sides above them in the league do not qualify ?

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 07 Mar 2014, 12:39 pm

Munchkin wrote:Thanks, Sin e. I did hear Rome, but obviously it appears Venice is accurate. Probably get stuck with the Dogs. Not bad.

Doge is italian for duke. The doges of Venice held positions of very high power in Venice.

Good news all round.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by QuickBall Fri 07 Mar 2014, 2:56 pm

Good to hear that they're now equal partners, also that Italian players get to play, for the next four years at least, higher standard teams that the proposed 8 team Italian league.
QuickBall
QuickBall

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 07 Mar 2014, 3:01 pm

This was the only option so its no surprise, it was hilarious reading on here how the Italians going back to the super 8 was going to be great for Italian rugby.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Mar 2014, 4:33 pm

LF4L, I think we would all accept the short term approach for achieving standards particularly as Italy want to bid for a RWC and a competitive Test side becomes important. However the long term goal for a country the size of Italy cannot be to follow a Celtic elite model but rather to have a popular domestic league. Euro competitions should be a secondary long term goal.

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Fri 07 Mar 2014, 5:06 pm

Recwatcher wrote:LF4L,  I think we would all accept the short term approach for achieving standards particularly as Italy want to bid for a RWC and a competitive Test side becomes important. However the long term goal for a country  the size of Italy cannot be to follow a Celtic elite model but rather to have a popular domestic league.  Euro competitions should be a secondary long term goal.

Well said.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 07 Mar 2014, 5:43 pm

How are Italy going to support a successful domestic league when they have 1000 people turning up to watch Zebre on a good day?

They are barely and I mean barely producing enough players for 2 teams, let alone 8 or so. Treviso are in free fall and Zebre can just about compete with the Leinster A team.

Soccer is huge in Italy and even they struggle to bring in crowds compared to their rivals. I remember AC Milan not selling out in a champions league last 16 game against Celtic. Lets get real here, Italy will never be able to support a league that would be able to compete finacially with the Pro 12 let alone the Top 14. Their poor performing teams will never generate enough interest.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 07 Mar 2014, 5:51 pm

I'd like nothing more than to see Italy become a successful side and have great domestic teams that challenge for HC's but I don't see that happening even in the distant future. I think our aims and goals for Italy should be more realistic.

First thing for me is to get one of their teams making the top 6 in the Rabo consistently and having an average attendance of 6-7000 per game, then go from there. Then they can actually start adding to league, as of now I really don't enjoy watching Leinster play in Parma in front of 1000 or so people on a awful RTE stream.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Mar 2014, 5:57 pm

LF4L, spoken like a true believer of centrally controlled elitist structures. I don't blame you, the kiwi coaches have created three successful irish sides. Italy are different to Ireland. The crowds may be small now but you have to create the local rivalries - the AP crowds weren't much bigger at the start of professionalism - I remember those days. Taking the international players away from the fans and placing them in two sides can only be a short term option.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 07 Mar 2014, 6:15 pm

Recwatcher wrote:LF4L, spoken like a true believer of centrally controlled elitist structures.  I don't blame you, the kiwi coaches have created three successful irish sides. Italy are different to Ireland.  The crowds may be small now but you have to create the local rivalries - the AP crowds weren't much bigger at the start of professionalism - I remember those days. Taking the international players away from the fans and placing them in two sides can only be a short term option.
That was the start of professionalism though, things are much different now. The Irish sides were able to bring in top quality foreign players to improve the teams and generate interest in the country to a point where the teams become some of the most successful in Europe. In the long term it has worked out as now Ireland are producing more players then they ever have and that is mostly down to the success we enjoyed in the HC.

That is not possible now because of the Top14! they have to rely on producing within and currently that is not happening and even if it does the best players will leave for France anyway as at least one of the teams will not be in the HC. Like I said lets set more realistic goals for rugby in Italy.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 07 Mar 2014, 6:39 pm

L4L you are right to say the Italians wont push the top spots in the Pro 12 anytime soon despite the WRUs best efforts.
So wouldnt they be better placed haveing a smallish domestic pro league in which Italian teams actually get to win games? Sure it would put them out the HEC but they dont have a hope in hell at that either.

Instead theres a pointlessly small number of not even the best Italian players in sides that make scotlands contribution to the league look healthy.

Noone wants to go and watch their side lose every week. Theres only so much novelty in seeing a mid ranked welsh side come over and spank you in the HEC every year, especially when you play them in the Pro12 as well.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 07 Mar 2014, 6:45 pm

If Italy wanted that then ye good for them but them signing this new deal clearly shows they want to stay in the Rabo and have their players compete on a good level.

This was their only option if they want to improve the national team.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 07 Mar 2014, 7:15 pm

Recwatcher wrote:Does that mean an Italian side will still get one of the proposed  automatic four HC qualifying places even though they may finish in the lower half of the league and other sides above them in the league do not qualify ?

Yes, the proposal which has been accepted by all four relevant unions is for the top four sides from each nation and then the three highest ranked sides in the league.

It's perfectly fair. It's impossible to finish in the Top 5 positions in the league and not qualify for Europe. Almost every year it'll be the Top 6 as most seasons three nations are represented in the Top 6. If any side from the Pro12 wins we'll get an extra place.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 08 Mar 2014, 12:02 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:L4L you are right to say the Italians wont push the top spots in the Pro 12 anytime soon despite the WRUs best efforts.
So wouldnt they be better placed haveing a smallish domestic pro league in which Italian teams actually get to win games? Sure it would put them out the HEC but they dont have a hope in hell at that either.

Instead theres a pointlessly small number of not even the best Italian players in sides that make scotlands contribution to the league look healthy.

Noone wants to go and watch their side lose every week. Theres only so much novelty in seeing a mid ranked welsh side come over and spank you in the HEC every year, especially when you play them in the Pro12 as well.

Baby steps. The Italians will need time to get structures etc in place and then time for players to come through those structures.

Being in the Pro 12 gives them an opportunity to experience rugby at a much higher level than the Italian domestic league. Their players are better for it and it allows their 2 teams to see what players can step up a level.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 09 Mar 2014, 6:48 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:L4L you are right to say the Italians wont push the top spots in the Pro 12 anytime soon despite the WRUs best efforts.

Out of interest do you watch/ take an interest in the Pro12?
Edinburgh are on an upward curve after a shocking start to the season and Glasgow have the chance to go third should they win their games in hand, therefore to suggest at all that Scotland do not provide a fully competitive part of the Pro12 is degrading and incredibly ignorant. Having said that, if you meant the attendances, they are indeed very poor, I'm not going to pretend otherwise but even they are on the up, Scotland's international side is under performing but this does not apply to the professional sides, the problem with Pro Rugby in Scotland is the amount of teams not the existing ones, and I imagine Italy suffer from similar problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 10 Mar 2014, 5:45 pm

Happy the italians are getting a better deal. Not sure on the new region. Better in the long run but could be hard the first two seasons.

As long as they have a good feeder system for both teams i'm sure they'll be fine. This 6N they have shown that their second string is as good as their first team. As long as the regions grow attendance they'll add to the league.

I also think this means that Zebre will be euro top teir again

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 11 Mar 2014, 8:58 am

A sign that things are settling down after a rough time? Hope so.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down