The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France gift Ireland the six nations title , according to the Sunday Times.

+21
Knowsit17
Metal Tiger
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
WELL-PAST-IT
clivemcl
LondonTiger
Cowshot
ChequeredJersey
ME-109
Sgt_Pooly
nobbled
GLove39
Notch
aucklandlaurie
Barney McGrew did it
Cyril
glamorganalun
whocares
The Saint
No 7&1/2
GunsGerms
25 posters

Go down

France gift Ireland the six nations title , according to the Sunday Times.  Empty France gift Ireland the six nations title , according to the Sunday Times.

Post by GunsGerms Sun 16 Mar 2014, 7:58 pm

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ireland-six-nations-sunday-times-cover-1365528-Mar2014/

That was the headline in the English version of the Sunday Times. Anyone agree with this?

Personally I thought this was by far France's best performance of the tournament. They were much improved, they even looked reasonably organised. Why do they alway play well against Ireland?

Last edited by GunsGerms on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

France gift Ireland the six nations title , according to the Sunday Times.  Empty Re: France gift Ireland the six nations title , according to the Sunday Times.

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 16 Mar 2014, 8:12 pm

Having a copy of an English version of the times, this headline isn't present. Last Action Hero and Ireland cling on for glory are the headlines associated with the game. If you've read any of the articles by Stephen Jones it's evident that Wales actually won the tournament anyway!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

France gift Ireland the six nations title , according to the Sunday Times.  Empty Re: France gift Ireland the six nations title , according to the Sunday Times.

Post by The Saint Sun 16 Mar 2014, 8:14 pm

Disagree. France had their best games in their opening and closing games of the championship. This is just more English bitterness over not winning the tournament to add to the sore losers brigade on here.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun 16 Mar 2014, 8:27 pm

France set piece and defense was better against England. More luck as well Wink
Against Ireland, they played with no pressure, angryness and were more agressive. Much better performance despite the lack of composure.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 16 Mar 2014, 8:28 pm

You could say France threw away a last minute victory with the forward pass, what is the problem? If France won the game the headines would be Sexton threw it away.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 16 Mar 2014, 8:52 pm

It's a Stephen Jones article. Guns, you really should get better reading material. It's like GE and his Daily Mail quotes Smile

By the way, is there an 'English' version of The Sunday Times?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sun 16 Mar 2014, 8:59 pm

Ahh but it’s important that when one wins something, that you find someone else who begrudges the win so that you can make a point of just how much in fact you deserved to win. Job done.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 16 Mar 2014, 9:00 pm

GunsGerms wrote:That was the headline in the English version of the Sunday Times. Anyone agree with this?

Personally I thought this was by far France's best performance of the tournament. They were much improved, they even looked reasonably organised. Why do they alway play well against Ireland?

Do you have a link to the headline?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 16 Mar 2014, 9:02 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Having a copy of an English version of the times, this headline isn't present. Last Action Hero and Ireland cling on for glory are the headlines associated with the game. If you've read any of the articles by Stephen Jones it's evident that Wales actually won the tournament anyway!

Yeah it was in there, but then they changed it for later editions  OK 

Wouldn't be getting too stressed over it like. Just a headline.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun 16 Mar 2014, 9:25 pm

Daily mail online has some pics of the English team watching the Ireland-france game. Poor lads. I feel dirty for taking a peek at this website but can blame GE for it when he's back  thumbsup 

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 16 Mar 2014, 9:33 pm

Did GE make you do something dirty? he must be a bad influence.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 16 Mar 2014, 10:01 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:That was the headline in the English version of the Sunday Times. Anyone agree with this?

Link here to the original https://twitter.com/charliefelix/status/445168602103431168 they removed the part about 'France gifting' Ireland the title later.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sun 16 Mar 2014, 10:06 pm

GLove39 wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Link here to the original https://twitter.com/charliefelix/status/445168602103431168 they removed the part about 'France gifting' Ireland the title later.

That's pi$$ poor. Not surprised they removed it.
It's no wonder we get it in the neck from other fans with tonks like that in the media.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 16 Mar 2014, 10:10 pm

Thanks Glove, I couldnt find it.

Thats most disrespectful to both the Irish and French. I presume that the journos and sub editors are not rugby people.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 16 Mar 2014, 10:14 pm

Well you could say at least they removed it. I counted some seriously lucky/incorrect calls go against Ireland in the closing stages of that game so I don't see what some people are complaining about.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 16 Mar 2014, 10:19 pm

Poor show from the times but to be fair Jones is a plonker.

I've seen nobody on here suggest Ireland didn't deserve the win.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 16 Mar 2014, 10:54 pm

Well obviously Stephen Jones just loves the Irish!  Laugh 

Most people from mainland UK like the Irish, but you get one that comes along every now and then that has some kind of weird semi-racist contempt against Ireland and Stephen Jones is such a man. Either that, or he just resents us for not being crap at rugby like we always were in the amateur era and actually winning stuff sometimes.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 16 Mar 2014, 11:21 pm

Notch wrote:Well obviously Stephen Jones just loves the Irish!  Laugh 

Most people from mainland UK like the Irish, but you get one that comes along every now and then that has some kind of weird semi-racist contempt against Ireland and Stephen Jones is such a man. Either that, or he just resents us for not being crap at rugby like we always were in the amateur era and actually winning stuff sometimes.

Where the f..k is that? Have you moved to the Isle of Sky or something

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 16 Mar 2014, 11:30 pm

Was it Jones? He has no redeeming features, I'd ignore him completely
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 16 Mar 2014, 11:32 pm

Well I'm not including Northern Ireland because thats a very different cultural and social backdrop to the rest of the UK.

Isle of Sky is a beautiful place, I wish I was there.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 16 Mar 2014, 11:36 pm

Notch wrote:Well I'm not including Northern Ireland because thats a very different cultural and social backdrop to the rest of the UK.

Isle of Sky is a beautiful place, I wish I was there.

Didnt realise Norn Iron was an Island...a backwater maybe...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 16 Mar 2014, 11:45 pm

Wink 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 16 Mar 2014, 11:53 pm

There's a bit of Ireland that ISN'T a backwater?

Hug
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Mon 17 Mar 2014, 2:46 am

London is a wonder of the world. I know it's unfashionable to say so, but it is.

We have 350+ languages spoken here, and we get on pretty darned well. That alone, given the murder and mayhem that goes on elsewhere at times, is magnificent. The world is here. London was an Italian creation 2,000 years ago and has looked out at the world ever since. And the world comes to London. This is not a one way process.

All cities have their magnificence. It is real. So I am not ashamed of my unexpectedly adopted one. Proud of it.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 17 Mar 2014, 7:43 am

That headline did not appear in my copy of the paper.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:14 am

Notch wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Having a copy of an English version of the times, this headline isn't present. Last Action Hero and Ireland cling on for glory are the headlines associated with the game. If you've read any of the articles by Stephen Jones it's evident that Wales actually won the tournament anyway!

Yeah it was in there, but then they changed it for later editions  OK 

Wouldn't be getting too stressed over it like. Just a headline.

Cheers Notch. I agree about headlines, often misleading to drag people in. Always think it's better to make it positive in these cases and they seem to have got there in the end.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:16 am

France butchered a clear overlap? Watch again!

Just look. Just watch BOD and Dave Kearney. Its like with every inch of their being they had to do EVERYTHING they could. And it was their determination and perhaps desperation that FORCED that forward pass.

The game was lost if it weren't for these desperate efforts in defence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WppGEYLCbMY

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:27 am

Good pressure but you'd be disappointed if your team, even your prop, couldn't put that pass in.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:27 am

LondonTiger wrote:

That headline did not appear in my copy of the paper.

It was removed from later editions

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:39 am

Cyril wrote:It's a Stephen Jones article. Guns, you really should get better reading material. It's like GE and his Daily Mail quotes Smile

Yes english, welsh and irish versions.

What paper would you suggest?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:39 am

The new headline should be:

Welsh Hack Annoys Irish Posters on Behalf of British Press

Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:41 am

Jones is terrible alright

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:51 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Cyril wrote:It's a Stephen Jones article. Guns, you really should get better reading material. It's like GE and his Daily Mail quotes Smile

Yes english, welsh and irish versions.

What paper would you suggest?
They've all got their faults. I tend to rotate between The Times, The Guardian and The Telegraph but have to admit I sometimes 'enjoy' reading Jones just to see what he's going to come up with next. He gets well-paid to write what some do on here for free Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 17 Mar 2014, 9:16 am

clivemcl wrote:France butchered a clear overlap? Watch again!

Just look. Just watch BOD and Dave Kearney. Its like with every inch of their being they had to do EVERYTHING they could. And it was their determination and perhaps desperation that FORCED that forward pass.

The game was lost if it weren't for these desperate efforts in defence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WppGEYLCbMY

it was still a relatively easy pass for this level. granted that if there was no irish player in front of Papé , he could just have run it himself! poor skill as far as am concerned. although he had the excuse of being tired, a kiwi lock would still have nailed it.
that said, bastareaud did a similar forward pass much earlier in the game after breaking the gain line and that was even worst in my opinion.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 17 Mar 2014, 9:24 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: Thanks Glove, I couldnt find it.

Thats most disrespectful to both the Irish and French. I presume that the journos and sub editors are not rugby people.

Most people would say that about the writer as well
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:23 pm

Simon Barnes of The Times started his article with "So let's start by unilaterally declaring England RBS Six Nations Champions"  Laugh 

Lets not Simon...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:25 pm

Notch wrote:Well I'm not including Northern Ireland because thats a very different cultural and social backdrop to the rest of the UK.

Isle of Skye is a beautiful place, I wish I was there.

E-hem - fixed that for you, no charge on this occasion

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:31 pm

Thanks Asbo
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:38 pm

The Saint wrote:Disagree. France had their best games in their opening and closing games of the championship. This is just more English bitterness over not winning the tournament to add to the sore losers brigade on here.

Artical written by the welsh journalist Stephen Jones.

Sore Losers Brigade? Really? I think the majority of the English posters on here have been gracious in defeat to the Irish.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:09 pm

Funny that picture, all tuxedo'd up for absolutely nothing in the end Very Happy 

It's what gets me about teams who'd rather don formal wear to accept the spoils. Think France used to do it often, even leaving the field to change and then coming back in suits to get on the podium and raise the cup. Why would you want to be in anything other than your national colours to take what you earned playing in those colours?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:14 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Funny that picture, all tuxedo'd up for absolutely nothing in the end Very Happy 

It's what gets me about teams who'd rather don formal wear to accept the spoils. Think France used to do it often, even leaving the field to change and then coming back in suits to get on the podium and raise the cup. Why would you want to be in anything other than your national colours to take what you earned playing in those colours?

They were off to the Italian dwarf throwing awards night after the game, apparently Tom Youngs landed in 2nd place.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzhead Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:25 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Funny that picture, all tuxedo'd up for absolutely nothing in the end Very Happy 

I imagine they were off to their end of tournament formal dinner straight after the game rather than getting dressed up for nothing. I wouldn't get too worked up about it

jazzhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:39 pm

Not worked up at all. It's a trivial point, just something that has irked me slightly in the past.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:42 pm

You expect them to be sat in their kit for 5 hours? Or perhaps a special, championship winners kit prepared (and no doubt slated for when it's leaked)?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:15 am

HammerofThunor wrote:You expect them to be sat in their kit for 5 hours? Or perhaps a special, championship winners kit prepared (and no doubt slated for when it's leaked)?

BOD did. He was beginning to stink badly by the end of his press conference.

No, seriously, of course the guys shouldn't have been in their England kit; either their smelly game jerseys or their tracksuits - they were ready to go to a event. The whole thing is much too stage managed anyway.... nobody needed to see them in white to know who they were had they lifted the trophy.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down